• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I'll drown any sorrow in money from flipped product. It's the internet so judge away while I enjoy the proceeds of this possible transaction.

It is a flagship device minus NFC, microsd, and quality speakers. But it has the brightest display on the market, allegedly and a fingerprint scanner. We'll see what happens. For all we know reviews could hurt this device.

Dude.....you aren't getting $750. You'd be insane to pay that price.

Fbh

So, just o be sure.

I got a Galaxy S6 today (my company had a promotion and I could get it really cheap with my contract)............. but I can't open the damn SIM card tray.

I know the system as I was just helping my dad change his SIM card on a phone with the same system a few days ago. But I put the pin in the openig, push and it won't open (even if I push considerably hard). I can see the tray move (very) slightly up but that's it. It makes me think it might be stuck or something.

Anyone had an issues like this? Is there some fix I can do at home or should I just bring it to the store tomorrow.

Husker86

I'll drown any sorrow in money from flipped product. It's the internet so judge away while I enjoy the proceeds of this possible transaction.

It is a flagship device minus NFC, microsd, and quality speakers. But it has the brightest display on the market, allegedly and a fingerprint scanner. We'll see what happens. For all we know reviews could hurt this device.
Android Central said S6 screen is brighter outside, but the OP2 comes close.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
That's an iPhone 5S in the picture, so the new Compact is actually smaller than an iPhone 6. I had to do a few comparisons to verify it, but it's definitely an iPhone 5S

I see, I thought it was a 6. They all look the same to me.

GizmoChina has LG Nexus 5 specs leak:

According to the leak, the new Nexus 5 will feature a 5.2-inch full HD 1080p P-OLED display, the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 620 (MSM8976) processor, up to 4GB of LPDDR3-1866 RAM, up to 64GB of eMMC 5.1 internal storage, a 3180mAh non-removable battery, a MediaTek MT3188 wireless charging receiver, and a Marvell Avastar 88W8897 connectivity chipset for 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, and Bluetooth 4.2.

The leak also reveals that the new Nexus 5 will be equipped with front stereo speakers, a rear power button with integrated fingerprint sensor, a 13-megapixel rear camera with an IMX278 RGBW sensor, a 6-element f/1.8 aperture lens, OIS, laser autofocus, and a dual-tone LED flash, a 4-megapixel front-facing camera with an OV4682 RGB-IR sensor and Iris Detection, a USB Type-C connector with QuickCharge 2.0.

They say it will be priced between $300 and $400 USD.

As for the Huawei Nexus:

Feature(s) 5.7-inch WQHD AMOLED display, a metal unibody design, a 21-megapixel IMX230 sensor rear camera, and Rezence/WiPower wireless charging.

They do not link to their source. So, take with a grain of salt. However, the specs are very specific. Who knows...

We don't know what GPU the 620 will use, but everything else, especially the camera and battery sound fucking KILLER.

GizmoChina has LG NExus 5 spec leak:

It will be priced between $300 and $400 USD.

As for the Huawei Nexus:

They do not link to their source. So, take with a grain of salt. However, the specs are very specific. So, who knows.

We don't know what GPU the 620 will use, but everything else, especially the camera and battery sound fucking KILLER.

I'm kinda miffed on the CPU, but damn it's good to have LPDDR4, Quick Charge, a damn good camera, big battery @ 1080p and Type-C. Even if the power button/finger print is on the back, I'm okay with that. If we take this and the pictures from before, then it's one camera on the top, then the power/finger print in the middle and the flash in the upper left square hole. If it's $300 to $400, this thing will sell assloads, or should anyways. Would basically be the best overall phone on the market for the price, rightfully dethroning the OPO/Moto X Pure in terms of value.

I'm kinda miffed on the CPU, but damn it's good to have LPDDR4, Quick Charge, a damn good camera, big battery @ 1080p and Type-C. Even if the power button/finger print is on the back, I'm okay with that. If we take this and the pictures from before, then it's one camera on the top, then the power/finger print in the middle and the flash in the upper left square hole. If it's $300 to $400, this thing will sell assloads, or should anyways. Would basically be the best overall phone on the market for the price, rightfully dethroning the OPO/Moto X Pure in terms of value.

Indeed.

I should note that the case leaks showed a power button on the side, which contradicts this article. However, given the fact that the casemakers put a Moto Nexus 6 mockup inside the case (and it fit perfectly), it may be that the case was actually for the Huawei device all along. Pyro suggested that a few pages back also.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly, can the LPDDR4 really make up for the given SoC or is it more down to how the GPU in the SoC is going to fair?

It says its DDR3. Where are you getting 4 from?

Also the 620 in leaked benchmarks out performed the 810.

The only reason people should be pissed is it isn't the 820 which we weren't gonna get once we learned the rumor of the LG being more N5 like in costs.

GPU is the wild card.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/620

The new Nexus sounds good on paper.

Can't say I've heard or said that before....

.....please don't fuck this up

Outside of the Galaxy Nexus' battery life, what Nexus really and truly disappointed people?

It says its DDR3. Where are you getting 4 from?

Also the 620 in leaked benchmarks out performed the 810.

The only reason people should be pissed is it isn't the 820 which we weren't gonna get once we learned the rumor of the LG being more N5 like in costs.

GPU is the wild card.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/620

Oh shit, I saw the 4 and thought differently. My bad.

GizmoChina has LG Nexus 5 specs leak:

They say it will be priced between $300 and $400 USD.

As for the Huawei Nexus:

They do not link to their source. So, take with a grain of salt. However, the specs are very specific. Who knows...

woo woo

price it at 300/350 and I'm good till I use my upgrade next year. A 3100mah battery on a 1080p 5.2inch display is AWESOME. Throw in a fingerprint sensor and a f1.8 camera?

Wooo woooo x3

kami_sama

Well, NOW I'm waiting for the new nexus. I think my Moto G will serve me well in the coming months.

Also, It seems that it is THE no compromise phone. Seems to have everything the OPT has with added NFC, wireless charging and FastCharging in a smaller body.

Also, the sensor is the same, but the OPT is f/2.0 and this is f/1.8. Which one is better? I don't know much about cameras.

Volotaire

Nexus, you have my attention. I'd love to see some 620 benchmarks relative to the 810/hypothesised 820. If they can give provide that 4GB RAM too along with a sensible priced 64GB version, I will give it strong contemplation.

Well, NOW I'm waiting for the new nexus. I think my Moto G will serve me well in the coming months.

Also, It seems that it is THE no compromise phone. Seems to have everything the OPT has with added NFC, wireless charging and FastCharging in a smaller body.

Also, the sensor is the same, but the OPT is f/2.0 and this is f/1.8. Which one is better? I don't know much about cameras.

Lower aperture means better low light performance for the most part. f/1.8 > f/2.0 in that regard as it allows more light into the sensor

Hasney

I wonder if that benchmark was legit then. Cheaper chip but custom cores could theoretically smash an 810 even working under good conditions.

Wonder if the bigger one will go 820 though.

I'm pretty happy about that nexus 5-2 leak, and I think people wanting something with ultra high end everything will be happy with the huawei nexus. But I'd take a killer battery with all those features (f1.8, quickcharge/fingerprint/etc...) for 300/400 any time.

gcubed

i'm not realistically expecting the 820 to be in a phone this year. Is it even available yet?

what timeframe are these Nexii supposed to happen in? October/November?

vdlow

I wonder how the 620 will compare to 805. If it's at least as fast, I guess I'll do my best to trade my Moto Maxx for the new Nexus.

I wonder how the 620 will compare to 805. If it's at least as fast, I guess I'll do my best to trade my Moto Maxx for the new Nexus.
if the geekbench scores are anny accurate it looks like it won't be a problem cpu wise:

Geekbench, a popular benchmarking tool, finds the Snapdragon 620 outperforming the Exynos 7420 and the Snapdragon 810. When tested on a single core, the Snapdragon 620 managed to score 1513 points, compared to the Exynos 7420 which has 1486 points, and the Snapdragon 810 which scored rather badly at 1227.

Even when the test was done to evaluate the chipset’s performance on the multi-core front, the new processor didn’t disappoint. The Snapdragon 620 score 4051 points, compared to 5284 and 4424 by the flagship from Samsung and Qualcomm respectively.

It's the GPU that will probably be worse but probably not crazy noticable and not enough to be a deal breaker I would think.

if the geekbench scores are anny accurate it looks like it won't be a problem cpu wise:

It's the GPU that will probably be worse but probably not crazy noticable and not enough to be a deal breaker I would think.

I don't play video games on my phone anyway so gpu isn't really a big deal for me.

Hoping these specs are legit

reKon

Banned
ZenPad S 8 Z580CA up for preorder on Amazon now. Since no rumors are mentioning nexus tablet, I might just put money down and burn the amazon gift card on this. With the Shield Tablet out of the game, it's between this and the Xperia Z3 Tablet, which will never hit $300.

It would have been awesome if Google and Microsoft allowed Asus to continue to make dual booting tablets. Windows 10 / Android L would have been awesome on this.

reKon

Banned
huh? I never recall you guys playing intensive games on your phone. Why do you suddenly care about GPU performance? As long it matches the Andreno 430, then I don't think I really see an issue here. I'll be very happy with the 620 if the browsing performance delivers better performance than the Exynos 7420

huh? I never recall you guys playing intensive games on your phone. Why do you suddenly care about GPU performance? As long it matches the Andreno 430, then I don't think I really see an issue here. I'll be very happy with the 620 if the browsing performance delivers better performance than the Exynos 7420
I barely ever game on my phone and when I do it's simple shit (i.e. candy crush lol) so I couldn't care less tbh. Also if it's the difference of waiting 7 seconds longer for an intensive game to bootup then me no cares.

giga

If the new Nexus doesn't use the 820, I don't expect other OEMs to either this year since they would have much higher volumes. Qualcomm gonna Qualcomm.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
GPU means more than just games.

Also, what does "up to" mean when talking about RAM? Probably because it's still rumor time.

Why does qualcomm make a 620 and an 810/820?

Nexus 6 successor is the true Nexus. The N5-2 is a compromised phone. I hope it is somehow shit while the N6-2 is straight up brilliant. I'd enjoy this OT for once.

giga

Also, what does "up to" mean when talking about RAM? Probably because it's still rumor time.

Nexus 6 successor is the true Nexus. The N5-2 is a compromised phone. I hope it is somehow shit while the N6-2 is straight up brilliant. I'd enjoy this OT for once.
Stopgap solution (since it still uses off-the-shelf ARM CPUs) until it gets the 820 out.

ZenPad S 8 Z580CA up for preorder on Amazon now. Since no rumors are mentioning nexus tablet, I might just put money down and burn the amazon gift card on this. With the Shield Tablet out of the game, it's between this and the Xperia Z3 Tablet, which will never hit $300.

It would have been awesome if Google and Microsoft allowed Asus to continue to make dual booting tablets. Windows 10 / Android L would have been awesome on this.

I so want this tablet. The fact that it's $300 with these specs is pretty damn impressive. Also, can you give the link to Amazon? I may get it from B&H in the end, but still.

Stopgap solution (since it still uses off-the-shelf ARM CPUs) until it gets the 820 out.

Imagine if the 620 was in all the phones with the 810. Would make all of them way better phones.

620 is fine. It's if it's priced right that matters most. If it's priced like a flagship then it's bullshit. But for a phone you keep for a year or so I'd say it's pretty great. Big phones are the real abominations of android. Enjoy the shit qhd battery life brehs.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
620 is fine. It's if it's priced right that matters most. If it's priced like a flagship then it's bullshit. But for a phone you keep for a year or so I'd say it's pretty great. Big phones are the real abominations of android. Enjoy the shit qhd battery life brehs.
N6 out lasts N5 on the regular.

Imagine if the 620 was in all the phones with the 810. Would make all of them way better phones.

Maybe, but the number is lower than the number of the SoC in the previous flagships.
And we all know what that means! #marketing101

Anyway, the only thing that bothers me about the Nexus 5 leak is the power button placement. But as long as the phone has double tap to wake, I can live with a shitty placed power button. This part also had me concerned for a bit "MediaTek MT3188 wireless charging receiver", but as it turns out, that solution supports all three wireless charging standards. Everyone wins, yay!

Maybe, but the number is lower than the number of the SoC in the previous flagships.
And we all know what that means! #marketing101

Anyway, the only thing that bothers me about the Nexus 5 leak is the power button placement. But as long as the phone has double tap to wake, I can live with a shitty placed power button. This part also had me concerned for a bit "MediaTek MT3188 wireless charging receiver", but as it turns out, that solution supports all three wireless charging standards. Everyone wins, yay!
double tap to wake is standard in stock android so that should be a-ok.

Top Bottom