• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
huh? I never recall you guys playing intensive games on your phone. Why do you suddenly care about GPU performance? As long it matches the Andreno 430, then I don't think I really see an issue here. I'll be very happy with the 620 if the browsing performance delivers better performance than the Exynos 7420

615 chipset GPU doesn't even match half of the 330.

hitsugi

Outside of the Galaxy Nexus' battery life, what Nexus really and truly disappointed people?

N4 - display, camera, battery life.
N5 - camera, battery life.
N6 - didn't pick one up, but from what I read it's outclassed by the S6 in the display and camera categories.

Not speaking for other users, just from personal experience and reviews. IMO the N5 should have outclassed the iPhone 5's camera at the time, but failed to deliver due to a myriad of software issues.

Hattori

Banned
the LG G flex 2 had a P-OLED display. Reviews for the most part said positive things about the display.

read some reviews on P OLED seems pretty good.
-----
I've tried the Moto X, Oneplus One, and Nexus 6 in the past month but they all had some things that bothered me;

Moto X -
Battery Life was not very good at least compared to my iP6+
Screen was unusable in outdoors due to being dim.

Oneplus One-
I had terrible backlight bleed.
It would randomly turn on in my pocket on hot days.

Nexus 6-
Same problem Moto X in terms of outdoor visibility.
Inconsistent Battery Life.
It seems to have microstutters throughout the OS, especially in the app carousel.

Here's hoping the Nexus 5 '15 will be the Android Phone I'm looking for.

Ty4on

Sources? (yes, I'm lazy)
GFXBench results. Both get around the same in Manhattan and T-Rex offscreen 1080p (5 and 15 fps).
Edit: Here is my Nexus 4 versus a random 615 device. Note that other Adreno 320 devices did a little better than the Nexus 4, but that could have been by cheating (detecting the app and turning clock speeds up).
4XFDujT.png
CLlslDZ.png

The result is in total frames rendered, but the fps' I got were 4.9 and 15.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Those against 2k for 1080p on 5", why not go for 720p? Help me understand where this starts and ends and why.

Those against 2k for 1080p on 5", why not go for 720p? Help me understand where this starts and ends and why.
imo 720p to 1080p on a 5.2 inch screen would be somewhat noticable. 1080p to qhd is not and just pointless.

People that don't want 2k screens are poor's with bad eyesight.
my eyes are perfect. You guys with big grubby meaty ass hands have no standards breh. Enjoy that 9 inch phone future.

imo 720p to 1080p on a 5.2 inch screen would be somewhat noticable. 1080p to qhd is not and just pointless.

my eyes are perfect. You guys with big grubby meaty ass hands have no standards breh. Enjoy that 9 inch phone future.

I think I got a Moto Razer somewhere. Sounds perfect for your tiny hands.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Isn't the slight, slight improvment of 720 to 1080 on a 5" not worth the battery tradeoff?

Ty4on

I think I got a Moto Razer somewhere. Sounds perfect for your tiny hands.
The RAZR was weirdly shaped for its time. Most phones back then were more rounded and fit better in the hand and pocket. I remember thinking how wide and uncomfortable it felt.

Talon

N4 - display, camera, battery life.
N5 - camera, battery life.
N6 - didn't pick one up, but from what I read it's outclassed by the S6 in the display and camera categories.

Not speaking for other users, just from personal experience and reviews. IMO the N5 should have outclassed the iPhone 5's camera at the time, but failed to deliver due to a myriad of software issues.
What kind of crack-filled haze made you think a Nexus device that's $350 would compete with a flagship device?

Ty4on

I'd love a ~5 inch 720p flagship device, but I don't understand your question.
I had this bad boy. Best of both worlds.

motorola_rizr.jpg
Still has that crappy keyboard and not as funky as this.
sonyericsson-w800-01.jpg

It melted inside my hands and I was able to press the media keys on the sides from the outside of my pocket. I still miss being able to ship tracks without taking it out of my pocket.

Ty4on

Let's not get to carried away, the Nexus 4 and 5 were very close to flagship specs. Remove some storage, SD, LTE and downgrade the camera (some SKUs of it even had the same camera to get rid of the bump) of the Options G and you've got a Nexus 4. With the Nexus 5 the differences were even smaller: smaller, but better calibrated screen, fewer, but bigger pixels in the camera, worse front camera and a 23% smaller battery (LG G2).

In both cases they had top of the line chipsets and screens.

Bboy AJ

Let's not get to carried away, the Nexus 4 and 5 were very close to flagship specs. Remove some storage, SD, LTE and downgrade the camera (some SKUs of it even had the same camera to get rid of the bump) of the Options G and you've got a Nexus 4. With the Nexus 5 the differences were even smaller: smaller, but better calibrated screen, fewer, but bigger pixels in the camera, worse front camera and a 23% smaller battery (LG G2).

In both cases they had top of the line chipsets and screens.
Yep. We do this every year. Everyone doubts the specs but Nexus comes through.

Bboy AJ

Don't you think you're a little biased? There were some legit issues with the Nexus 6
No. Nexus 6 isn't a real Nexus. 4 and 5 were show stoppers price and spec wise.

Bboy AJ

Two months from now, we will have all the details we need to make an informed decision.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nexus specs sound good, but do we know anything about the camera? 13 megapixels seems low but if it is good quality that should be ok. OIS and laser focus is good, but is the sensor decent?

Two months from now, we will have all the details we need to make an informed decision.

That's too far away.

Really looking forward to the N5-2 but also the Huwaei Nexus. Huwae's phone design + stock Android might be an overall winner.

Glad Moto is not making one after N6 issues.

thuway

The Nexus 6 was my dream phone until-

the news of the terrible battery, OS jank (5.0 Lollipop), awful speeds, burn in issues, and dim as hell screen started rearing their head.

I really wanted a stock Android experience in an OLED 6 inch form factor with front facing speakers. On paper :/.

Sch1sm

the news of the terrible battery, OS jank (5.0 Lollipop), awful speeds, burn in issues, and dim as hell screen started rearing their head.

I really wanted a stock Android experience in an OLED 6 inch form factor with front facing speakers. On paper :/.

Lollipop doesn't deserve the hate it gets. Only "jank" I can think of is the memory leak issues and the change in volume controls, which were easy to work around anyway, really. It still brought on good things. It's like people forget material happened, ART became #1 over Dalvik, the changes to notifications, the addition of do not disturb, the recent apps menu redesign. That's just my opinion, though.

I ran a Nexus 5, however, so I can't spesk to the N6 experience of it. I'm sure NotBacon will come to defend his beloved device. The N6 reviews have been so mixed, I don't regret not purchasing.

You won't be getting a 6" vanilla experience this year. I hope you're patient or willing to settle. 5.7" for the Moto X pure and the Nexus 6-2.

Lollipop isn't as bad as you think and it's only gotten much better. Battery isn't bad either. Dim screen is still there though, and I'm pretty sure burn in is a problem with OLED.

Volotaire

I'm not against 2k on a phone that size. I want technology to be better, no matter how little the marginal benefits are to the consumer for progress's sake. It helps firms test new technologies, to see if it fails or works, utilise it in another consumer technology or allows them to invest more resources into bettering tech. At the moment, there is nowhere enough 2K content that I would theoretically be viewing on a mobile device. Consuming it on a PC through games with a 1440p is plenty available, but not so much for streaming video. It seems like something I may be interested in a few years.

So, given this, I would prefer a 1080p device which is a marked difference from 720p on a mobile device and where plenty of content, on YT and other media, is available in this format.

Finally, battery life. Given that balance, if I was in the market for a mid-high range smartphone, I would like 1080p rather than 2K for balancing battery life and the viewing pleasure. In a few years, when 2K content is more widespread and battery life improves, it could change my opinion.

Negator

Trying to find the right phone is frustrating. The Galaxy S6 looked perfect, until the whole battery/sd card thing came out and totally fucked it all up for me.

September/October is new phone season if I am not mistaken? I don't really keep up with phone stuff until I'm ready to buy a new one. This Galaxy S4 is starting to feel a bit long in the teeth, but I think I'll just have to wait a few months before I can start weighing my options.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lollipop doesn't deserve the hate it gets. Only "jank" I can think of is the memory leak issues and the change in volume controls, which were easy to work around anyway, really. It still brought on good things. It's like people forget material happened, ART became #1 over Dalvik, the changes to notifications, the addition of do not disturb, the recent apps menu redesign. That's just my opinion, though.

I ran a Nexus 5, however, so I can't spesk to the N6 experience of it. I'm sure NotBacon will come to defend his beloved device. The N6 reviews have been so mixed, I don't regret not purchasing.

You won't be getting a 6" vanilla experience this year. I hope you're patient or willing to settle. 5.7" for the Moto X pure and the Nexus 6-2.

There was massive charging jank in that certain devices would fail to charge.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Software engineering student ‘hacks’ OnePlus reservation system to jump the queue:

A software engineering student has used a few lines of code to jump the queue for a OnePlus 2 invite, moving himself up from over 70,000 to position 1,694.

While queue-jumping isn’t something we’d generally condone, Jake Cooper said that his motivation here was to hit back at the way OnePlus encourages spam, by moving people up the queue when they email the link to others.

When the OnePlus Two rolled around, I made sure to be on the ball and put my email in early and secured position ~9000. However, with the invites for the OnePlus Two, OnePlus opted to allow users to jump the queue by referring their friends to the invite waitlist. Last night I checked my invite status and I was position > 70,000.

In a Medium post, Cooper explains how he used a few lines of Python to effectively spam a series of fake email addresses, and a little more code to obtain the confirmation URLs from those emails. The result was that, in the time it took him to get a cup of tea, he had moved up over 68,000 places in the queue.

The waitlist for an invite recently exceeded a million people. The company recently revealed that it will be releasing another model later this year, but gave no details on features or spec.

http://9to5google.com/2015/08/04/oneplus-2-invite-hack/

:|

reKon

Banned
When it comes down to it, I think I care about a finger print scanner far more than USB C for my phone. USB C would be more of a big deal for a tablet, where I'm more likely to be transferring huge files.

Regarding desirable phones: Not not that I need to upgrade right now, but it looks like every year it's going to be between the Xperia Compact and a Nexus phone for me. If you asked me what I thought my options would be like 6 months ago, I would have thrown Moto X in there as a possible choice. Too bad they went for the bigger screen.

Top Bottom