• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

lol, what?

T-mobile has desperately been seeking a buyer for at least six months now. You've had Deutsche Telecom's COO saying they were looking at buyers for a solid three quarters in a row now. Legere himself has said that they'd love a partner in the telecommunications space.

I don't see how any of what you said here changes what I said. The FCC blocked the ATT merger and T-mobiles disruptive model influenced carriers to embrace a model that pushes monthly phone installments over two year contracts, regardless of their desire to find a buyer.

Talon

What country is this for?
Deutsche Telekom is the parent company of T-Mobile.
I don't see how any of what you said here changes what I said. The FCC blocked the ATT merger and T-mobiles disruptive model influenced carriers to embrace a model that pushes monthly phone installments over two year contracts, regardless of their desire to find a buyer.
lol, T-mobile "disruptive."

AT&T and Verizon are playing a different game of chess.

All T-mobile did was give AT&T and Verizon the headway to actually wind up charging more with their corresponding Next and Edge plans even when you pay monthly.

lol, what?

T-mobile has desperately been seeking a buyer for at least six months now. You've had Deutsche Telecom's COO saying they were looking at buyers for a solid three quarters in a row now. Legere himself has said that they'd love a partner in the telecommunications space.

Uh, Deutsche Telecom wanting to sell T-Mobile US doesn't mean shit. They always have, and they probably always will.

The point is T-Mobile has done a tremendous amount of good for the US market, single-handedly advocating for more consumer rights and forcing all the other telecom companies to respond.

The Department of Justice blocked the T-Mobile-AT&T merger for this very reason. They saw that T-Mobile was creating competition, forcing the market to respond to their actions and making even the big two, AT&T and Verizon, nervous.

AT&T's defense at the time equated to a lot of hand-waving and staunch denials that T-Mobile did anything of the sort. Yet, the DoJ cited many examples back then, and since the merger fell through, AT&T has been more openly aping T-Mobile.

T-Mobile dropped contracts; most of the others have started to do the same now.
T-Mobile did Jump. All the other carriers did their own (albeit shittier) versions.
T-Mobile announced free data roaming in North America; AT&T recently did the same (in a more borked way).
T-Mobile did away with ETF's and offered to buy people out of their contracts; most of the other carriers now have a similar program.
T-Mobile did rollover data; AT&T did the same this year.

The other carriers did worse versions, in most cases, of T-Mobile's programs, but the fact is clear that they all responded to T-Mobile, the fucking dead-last rinky-dink carrier.

All T-mobile did was give AT&T and Verizon the headway to actually wind up charging more with their corresponding Next and Edge plans even when you pay monthly.

honestly I really don't care that much to be going back and forth about carriers man.

Uh, Deutsche Telecom wanting to sell T-Mobile US doesn't mean shit. They always have, and they probably always will.

The point is T-Mobile has done a tremendous amount of good for the US market, single-handedly advocating for more consumer rights and forcing all the other telecom companies to respond.

The Department of Justice blocked the T-Mobile-AT&T merger for this very reason. They saw that T-Mobile was creating competition, forcing the market to respond to their actions and making even the big two, AT&T and Verizon, nervous.

AT&T's defense at the time equated to a lot of hand-waving and staunch denials that T-Mobile did anything of the sort. Yet, the DoJ cited many examples back then, and since the merger fell through, AT&T has been more openly aping T-Mobile.

T-Mobile dropped contracts; most of the others have started to do the same now.
T-Mobile did Jump. All the other carriers did their own (albeit shittier) versions.
T-Mobile announced free data roaming in North America; AT&T recently did the same (in a more borked way).
T-Mobile did away with ETF's and offered to buy people out of their contracts; most of the other carriers now have a similar program.
T-Mobile did rollover data; AT&T did the same this year.

The other carriers did worse versions, in most cases, of T-Mobile's programs, but the fact is clear that they all responded to T-Mobile, the fucking dead-last rinky-dink carrier.

Yep. Verizon is even running attack ads now trying to scare people into staying by acting like everyone comes back to them after switching.

Hmm...I see, guess if T-Mobile is that bad off, Sprint must be doing awful.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Idk, Sprint appears to be the most popular network among my friends in metro Atlanta. It's only outside that I see a tin of different networks.

Hey neighbor

and yeah, Sprint sucks ass. CDMA, slow LTE, bad phone selection...it's bad man

I'm always flabbergasted when people tell me they are on Sprint. Especially in a big metro city where T-Mobile is available. You're paying the same price and in some cases, less if you use T-Mo.

this_guy

I'm always flabbergasted when people tell me they are on Sprint. Especially in a big metro city where T-Mobile is available. You're paying the same price and in some cases, less if you use T-Mo.

Sprint has a better network in many places. Rootmetrics rated Sprint 3rd overall nationwide in the 2nd half of 2014 (T-Mobile was 4th). The first half 2015 report will be out any day now.

I'm in Houston, and having used both Sprint and T-Mobile I prefer Sprint's network. T-Mobile drops to 2g in more places indoors than any other carrier in my usage. Plus driving to Austin or Dallas with T-Mobile means you're on 2g on a large portion of the drive, but Sprint and the other carriers maintain 4g almost the entire drive.

T-Mobile has fast speeds when you get LTE, but it loses LTE more often. I haven't used a band 12 device (low band for improved indoor coverage) so maybe that's changed since I've last used them. One thing that does concern me - the new Moto G is capable of band 12, but it's been disabled. Apparently phones without T-Mobile VoLTE might run into this issue, so we'll have to see if the OnePlus 2 and new Moto X pure will be able to use band 12.

I'm currently not using either T-Mobile or Sprint at the moment, but I switch phones and carriers often.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Idk, Sprint appears to be the most popular network among my friends in metro Atlanta. It's only outside that I see a tin of different networks.

I don't know a single person in GA with Sprint. It's fuck hell.

I know multiple people with each of the other big 3.

Furyous

Sell it for twice the price!

I third this motion.

---

Scust at the lack of leaks today. At least give us early reviews on new smartphones. Looking at OP2 previews lustfully hoping upcoming reviews drum up enough hype to push demand higher....

I might keep the device if they provide clarification on the OP2.5 releasing in December. The Erica Griffin and MKBHD reviews should give us a full understanding of the device. Call me a nerd but Erica's inevitable four minute brightness analysis is the best part of the review. Anything less than 600 nits is false advertising.

Can't wait to see how great the vibration motor is. We need more info on the audio processor as well. I expect someone to port stock Android to the device as well.

--

If the Nexus leaks are true then we're in for a treat. If the 620>810 rumors are true then that means next year's midrange>>>2014 high end assuming 620 is midrange. What's stopping HTC from using the 620 in the M10 instead of the 820?

I third this motion.

---

Scust at the lack of leaks today. At least give us early reviews on new smartphones. Looking at OP2 previews lustfully hoping upcoming reviews drum up enough hype to push demand higher....

I might keep the device if they provide clarification on the OP2.5 releasing in December. The Erica Griffin and MKBHD reviews should give us a full understanding of the device. Call me a nerd but Erica's inevitable four minute brightness analysis is the best part of the review. Anything less than 600 nits is false advertising.

Can't wait to see how great the vibration motor is. We need more info on the audio processor as well. I expect someone to port stock Android to the device as well.

--

If the Nexus leaks are true then we're in for a treat. If the 620>810 rumors are true then that means next year's midrange>>>2014 high end assuming 620 is midrange. What's stopping HTC from using the 620 in the M10 instead of the 820?

Erica Griffin won't review it. She hates OnePlus after Cyanogen fired her boyfriend.

I thought OnePlus started using their own Oxygen os after cyanogen did them dirty last year?

Yeah, but she hates the company apparently. The whole bf thing went on behind the scenes. She says she didn't appreciate them using her in marketing materials without her permission.

memory issue hasn't been fixed, refreshes like an iphone

touchwiz recents button and camera app is laggy and buggy as hell, which may finally be getting fixed with 5.1.1. GPS takes a million years to lock on using stock firmware

Even though themes and the cleaner touchwiz UI on the s6 are perfectly possible, note 4 is unlikely to receive them. This phone hasn't been out a full year yet and they're already gimping its updates. If it wasn't for custom roms this shit would've been up on swappa by now
i dunno, GPS has always been fast for me
recents and camera are super fast in 5.1.1
oh, and they fixed a pretty big bug pretty fast

they're not gonna change the UI

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, they used pics from her YouTube review of the OPO.
That doesn't at all sound like something One Plus would do. They are an upstanding company with the highest of integrity. That's why their customers flock to them.

Yeah, but she hates the company apparently. The whole bf thing went on behind the scenes. She says she didn't appreciate them using her in marketing materials without her permission.

Buried the lead on that one. I'd hate them too if it were me

I don't know a single person in GA with Sprint. It's fuck hell.

I know multiple people with each of the other big 3.

I know atleast 5 off the top of my head lol.

Sprint has a better network in many places. Rootmetrics rated Sprint 3rd overall nationwide in the 2nd half of 2014 (T-Mobile was 4th). The first half 2015 report will be out any day now.

I'm in Houston, and having used both Sprint and T-Mobile I prefer Sprint's network. T-Mobile drops to 2g in more places indoors than any other carrier in my usage. Plus driving to Austin or Dallas with T-Mobile means you're on 2g on a large portion of the drive, but Sprint and the other carriers maintain 4g almost the entire drive.

T-Mobile has fast speeds when you get LTE, but it loses LTE more often. I haven't used a band 12 device (low band for improved indoor coverage) so maybe that's changed since I've last used them. One thing that does concern me - the new Moto G is capable of band 12, but it's been disabled. Apparently phones without T-Mobile VoLTE might run into this issue, so we'll have to see if the OnePlus 2 and new Moto X pure will be able to use band 12.

I'm currently not using either T-Mobile or Sprint at the moment, but I switch phones and carriers often.

I've had sprint forever. Spark is legitimately good. 17 down, 12 up in the philly area the last time I bothered to run a speedtest.

i dunno, GPS has always been fast for me
recents and camera are super fast in 5.1.1
oh, and they fixed a pretty big bug pretty fast

they're not gonna change the UI

im hearing initial reports that 5.1.1 has fixed recents and camera, so i'll def be back on board for that. Not worried about themes as much anymore as a 5.0.1 s6 port exists with them. I'll wait for the inevitable s6 port of 5.1.1/xposed compatibility if the new nexus hasn't dropped by then

Top Bottom