• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

reKon

Banned
Yeah but you would keep it. Hold out for Zenpad. I'll join you.

Nexus 9 is much smoother than my N10. This is a welcome change. But these homemscreen refreshes ughhhh weak

I thought you liked the N10 back in the day. I guess it started finally showing it's age..

Meanwhile my Nexus 7 is still butter on Android 5.1.1 (but the screen is broke, which is why I'm in the hunt for a tablet as well).

Anyways, I think we should be expecting the upgraded Zenpad's by Mid-Augustish.

I thought you liked the N10 back in the day. I guess it started finally showing it's age..

Meanwhile my Nexus 7 is still butter on Android 5.1.1 (but the screen is broke, which is why I'm in the hunt for a tablet as well).

Honestly, my Nexus 2012 (Tegra one) is a piece of shit on 5.1.1. And I mean that it barely fucking runs. Uber amounts of lag and slow downloads.

I'm waiting for the higher end $300 Zenpad as well.

Samsung announces new Android security update process, promises over-the-air patches 'about once per month'

VentureBeat

bd084aacba3cd2252be917c30426c456.gif

reKon

Banned
Honestly, my Nexus 2012 (Tegra one) is a piece of shit on 5.1.1. And I mean that it barely fucking runs. Uber amounts of lag and slow downloads.

I'm waiting for the higher end $300 Zenpad as well.

I have the 2013 model. Dat Qualcomm chipset + 2 GB ram combo has always done well on Android for a while now.

The I don't see people switching from the Moto G (3rd gen) for years.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I think there's a possibility that they've just moved all the buttons to the left side and its actually the power button/fingerprint scanner that's a bit lower. Or the image could even be flipped.

That's definitely the volume rocker.

Mindwipe

I think there's a possibility that they've just moved all the buttons to the left side and its actually the power button/fingerprint scanner that's a bit lower. Or the image could even be flipped.

The power button is the one in the middle of the device, same as all Sony phones. The button you're looking at is the camera button.

hitsugi

What kind of crack-filled haze made you think a Nexus device that's $350 would compete with a flagship device?

Really sad to see this is still a thing people say.

Where did I say anything like that? I responded to a question with facts; nothing more or less.

The N4 and 5 were both spec'd out at or above their competitors at the time despite the price. Don't be so nonsensical (difficult to do when you're opt for the tired, horribly flawed argument for a nexus device). The "flagship priced" N6 was also bested by its competitors in real world performance.

Saiyan-Rox

See Sprint has up that a new nexus OTA is coming with the stagefright fix

If that's all it does I'll probably not bother updating.

The power button is the one in the middle of the device, same as all Sony phones. The button you're looking at is the camera button.
Yes, I know where the power and camera buttons are. For Sony to have put the volume button near the bottom of the device, it would mean that picture is showing the right side of the devices. I'm saying perhaps Sony didn't actually, idiotically, move the volume buttons that far down, and instead, that picture may actually be showing the left side of the device.

Talon

Has this OTA patching for Stagefright that is mentioned actually happened? I don't know anyone with a Samsung device that's had a patch this week...
There's been a lot of frustration with the team that announced the exploit. The talk is going down at Defcon this week, so more details to come.

There's been an assumption that Google had a fix for it that went out in April, but Trend Micro researchers are saying that the fix is insufficient.

TL;DR Stagefright affects the media playback stack within AOSP, which is outside the purview of security patches that were held distinct within Google Play Services. The exploit has more than one vector outside of MMS - it could be a malformed media file in a browser or within an application, for example. MMS was just the most public one because it requires no action on the victim for it to be active. At least with the malformed media file in a browser/app, the user has to click a link or open a specific application.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google got shook my Samsung and just announced they too will issue security fixes on a monthly basis to Nexus devices.

Talon

Really sad to see this is still a thing people say.

Where did I say anything like that? I responded to a question with facts; nothing more or less.

The N4 and 5 were both spec'd out at or above their competitors at the time despite the price. Don't be so nonsensical (difficult to do when you're opt for the tired, horribly flawed argument for a nexus device). The "flagship priced" N6 was also bested by its competitors in real world performance.
This is some selective-ass memory here. Nexus 4 didn't have LTE and had shit battery life. Nexus 5 was a much more comparable device to flagships, but it didn't surpass a single one.

Nexus 4 was not spec'd at or above the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3 or One X at all. Are you joking?

51292.png

WiFi-battery-life.jpg

OP made the claim that only the camera held the Nexus 5 back from competitors, which is outrageous. These are real concessions that are made for practical reasons.

Furyous

OnePlus auctioning off it's own invites for charity https://blog.oneplus.net/2015/08/invites-for-a-cause/

UPDATES galore:

Who's willing to shell out $10,000 for an invite?

Who's willing to shell out $1,000 for an invite?

Who's willing to shell out $510 for an invite?

Keep in mind this does not include the cost of the device and shipping costs. With that said, *birdman handrub*

If an invite goes for $510 with the words "proceeds go to charity" then this is the beginning of a new movement. Proceeds could range from $1-$400... All someone has to do is say proceeds to charity to reach the 11K mark.... *EDIT* To clarify I would never do something like this.

If the invites are going for this much then those of us in line have decisions to make moving forward. iPhone 4's weren't going for 11K during their first week. Oneplus doing something right.

Husker86

This is some selective-ass memory here. Nexus 4 didn't have LTE and had shit battery life. Nexus 5 was a much more comparable device to flagships, but it didn't surpass a single one.

Nexus 4 was not spec'd at or above the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3 or One X at all. Are you joking?

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6425/51292.png[/img
[img]http://www.mod-gadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/WiFi-battery-life.jpg[/img

OP made the claim that [I]only[/I] the camera held the Nexus 5 back from competitors, which is outrageous. These are real concessions that are made for practical reasons.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that test use the default browser? Chrome sucks.

I mean, when talking internal hardware, Nexus 4 was one of the first phones with S4 Pro, wasn't it? And 2GB RAM at the time was the top.

Nexus 5 used the Snap 800 which, again, was the top of the line CPU at the time.

I guess when I personally think about specs, CPU/GPU/RAM are what I consider.

Also, why are you posting N4 benchmarks and saying the claims that the N5 performed just as well as flagships are bunk?

zewone

OP made the claim that only the camera held the Nexus 5 back from competitors, which is outrageous. These are real concessions that are made for practical reasons.
The One X and S3 were both using a Snapdragon S4 and the Nexus 4 was using a Snapdragon S4 Pro, which should have been a better version of the SoC.

Why would it benchmark lower?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

N10 was a champ but its age caught up to it. It's unusable. Freezes, crashes. Granted, as I type, this Nexus 9 lags pretty hard. But even then, it's still a better experience than the N10.

Saiyan-Rox

Whats the chances o the regular security updates on Nexus now will continuously stop root?

But saying that they'll always fiind a way around it and if you know how to root you''ll know to wait.

EDIT: Also every day i'm waiting for the OP2 I feel like just waiting for the next Nexus

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Whats the chances o the regular security updates on Nexus now will continuously stop root?

But saying that they'll always fiind a way around it and if you know how to root you''ll know to wait.

EDIT: Also every day i'm waiting for the OP2 I feel like just waiting for the next Nexus

There is no way to stop root on a nexus device.

hitsugi

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6425/51292.png
http://www.mod-gadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/WiFi-battery-life.jpg

Come on, man... I also said the N4 had horrible battery life.

N4 - Li-Po 2100 mAh battery
iPhone 5 - Li-Po 1440 mAh battery

You're confusing real-world performance with specs. Speaking of selective..............................................

N4 also had LTE capabilities, though I don't believe it worked in the US.

mturco

51292.png

WiFi-battery-life.jpg

Talks about selective comparisons and then cites browser benchmarks. I can't even.

I don't even necessarily disagree with you but browser benchmarks are utterly worthless to begin with and on top of that (as someone else mentioned) they're not even comparing the same browser. I mean FFS.

Come on, man... I also said the N4 had horrible battery life.

N4 - Li-Po 2100 mAh battery
iPhone 5 - Li-Po 1440 mAh battery

You're confusing real-world performance with specs. Speaking of selective..............................................

N4 also had LTE capabilities, though I don't believe it worked in the US.

Huh....I thought that was the main reason the nexus far was largely ignored in the US, any reason the US version missed out on LTE?

Groof

I think the Nexus 4 still had the LTE module from the Optimus G since their internals were so similar, but it was sort of gimped because it wasn't actually supported by the hardware. So if you turned it on through software it would only work with a specific set of bands used by a select few places, a major one being Canada.

UPDATES galore:

Who's willing to shell out $10,000 for an invite?

Who's willing to shell out $1,000 for an invite?

Who's willing to shell out $510 for an invite?

Keep in mind this does not include the cost of the device and shipping costs. With that said, *birdman handrub*

If an invite goes for $510 with the words "proceeds go to charity" then this is the beginning of a new movement. Proceeds could range from $1-$400... All someone has to do is say proceeds to charity to reach the 11K mark.... *EDIT* To clarify I would never do something like this.

If the invites are going for this much then those of us in line have decisions to make moving forward. iPhone 4's weren't going for 11K during their first week. Oneplus doing something right.

Good luck collecting that money OnePlus. Someone is screwing over charity with no intention to pay. That's just wrong.

Top Bottom