• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Saiyan-Rox

There were case leaks for the huawei nexus? Since when?

Also it looks just like a huawei phone but black. Does seem to have a fingerprint reader (duh) and type C though. So if it is real, A+ so far.

Didn't the case have like a cutout for the nexus 6 beside it? makes sense it was the bigger one.

Can't say much from the video though but it does look like the fingerprint sensor is on the back but what looks like the power button is all white like the new xperia line.

There were case leaks for the huawei nexus? Since when?

Also it looks just like a huawei phone but black. Does seem to have a fingerprint reader (duh) and type C though. So if it is real, A+ so far.

See below.

Didn't the case have like a cutout for the nexus 6 beside it? makes sense it was the bigger one.

Can't say much from the video though but it does look like the fingerprint sensor is on the back but what looks like the power button is all white like the new xperia line.

Actually, the cut out was inside the case itself, and it fit.

See below.

Actually, the cut out was inside the case itself, and it fit.

nobody knows if that printout of the nexus was to scale though. Also that case was circular whereas the leak shows a square fingerprint reader like the rest of Huawei's lineup. That and the case maker said it's the LG nexus. Assuming it even has any merit.

Also I expect the Huawei nexus to be noticeably smaller than the nexus 6 being .3 inches smaller with likely tiny bezels. Still big though.

nobody knows if that printout of the nexus was to scale though. Also that case was circular whereas the leak shows a square fingerprint reader like the rest of Huawei's lineup. That and the case maker said it's the LG nexus. Assuming it even has any merit.

Also I expect the Huawei nexus to be noticeably smaller than the nexus 6 being .3 inches smaller with likely tiny bezels. Still big though.

Fair enough, but if this is the Huawei Nexus, then I expect both devices to share a common design language. The Nexus 5 and 9 did. The 6 didn't but only because it was a last-minute repurposing of an existing Moto phone.

Hasney

O2pIOOk.png

Hope he's right. Wouldn't mind the 810 performing well in one damn phone before dying out. Still though, it could be aggressive throttling keeping it down. We'll find out soon enough.

Saiyan-Rox

Hope he's right. Wouldn't mind the 810 performing well in one damn phone before dying out. Still though, it could be aggressive throttling keeping it down. We'll find out soon enough.

well we have 5 days before the embargo lifts and even longer before the public get their hands on it to find out....I don't like waiting

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

They already said they clocked the main cores at 1.8 ghz which is a step back from the 2ghz say the M9 is clocked at.

Hasney

They already said they clocked the main cores at 1.8 ghz which is a step back from the 2ghz say the M9 is clocked at.

True, but the current phones are a lot more aggressive than that. Even the M9 which at launch didn't throttle as much as it did after the first update went lower than that. I wouldn't be shocked to see 200Mhz and aggressive throttling regardless with how well the 810 has been doing.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The camera was the only issue with the M7. And it wasn't awful - but it wasn't good either.

HTC got too comfy with that mindset sadly.

Where there's smoke....

Quoting the usual unnamed industry sources, a recent report from the Korea Herald argues that LG plans to equip its future flagship smartphones with fingerprint readers, after first experimenting with the technology on the 2015 refresh of the Nexus 5. What this means is that the rumored LG G Pro, as well as next year's LG G5 (likely to be called this way if LG sticks to its traditional naming scheme), will come with fingerprint sensors as well.

Unfortunately, the report doesn't mention any concrete specs for the 2015 Nexus 5 aside from mentioning that the display will measure 5.2-inches across the diagonal. According to the Korea Herald, the Nexus 5 refresh will be launched this October.

Nothing we didn't know but whatevs. Take what we can get!

Ty4on

This is some selective-ass memory here. Nexus 4 didn't have LTE and had shit battery life. Nexus 5 was a much more comparable device to flagships, but it didn't surpass a single one.

Nexus 4 was not spec'd at or above the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3 or One X at all. Are you joking?

51292.png

WiFi-battery-life.jpg

OP made the claim that only the camera held the Nexus 5 back from competitors, which is outrageous. These are real concessions that are made for practical reasons.
Yes it was. It had a much more modern chipset than the Galaxy S3 which still rocked A9s. You should also note that the HTC One X SKU in that benchmark has an S4 Pro, the same chipset as the Nexus 4.

The battery was inherited from the LG Optimus G, same size as in the GS3 and BIGGER than in the One X. Apart from lacking LTE and a 1/4" rear camera it was a flagship.

51543.png

Edit:
A step forward.
A57s should never be clocked above what ARM recommends, especially not when there are four of them together with four A53s that are also clocked too high and a GPU clocked so high it is less power efficient than its predecessor despite being on a new process.

Different SOC, but look at how power consumption goes through the roof as clock speeds increase. This is on a better process as well (14nm).
a57-power-curve_575px.png

I hope all things nexus get leaked soon from a reputable source (not counting gizmochina).

So far given all the smoke I'd say the only really credible rumours are fingerprint sensor is onboard and 5.2 inch size (bless the lawd).

Everything else I'd say is a bit sketchy to really sketchy. Strictly speaking about the LG nexus. There have been some really credible rumours about the huawei nexus.

So far given all the smoke I'd say the only really credible rumours are fingerprint sensor is onboard and 5.2 inch size (bless the lawd).

Everything else I'd say is a bit sketchy to really sketchy. Strictly speaking about the LG nexus. There have been some really credible rumours about the huawei nexus.

Mind elaborating on the huawei nexus? What do you know for the most part?

Where there's smoke....

Nothing we didn't know but whatevs. Take what we can get!

Good, because my Nexus 5 is starting to fall apart.

USB port fried for whatever reason, wireless charging is starting to fail me (I have to squeeze the back few times to get it working again for a while).

I need this shit now.

Vanillalite

Yes it was. It had a much more modern chipset than the Galaxy S3 which still rocked A9s. You should also note that the HTC One X SKU in that benchmark has an S4 Pro, the same chipset as the Nexus 4.

Uh no?

The international One X has a Tegra. The NA version aka the X(L) has the regular S4 Plus. Then the remix version aka the One X+ had an over clocked Tegra for all the world.

What will be the first phone to get
real
USB type C?

The coming Lumia flagships are going to have USB Type-C with USB 3.0.
But they're probably coming in November, so the Nexus phones should still be first.

Why not pick up a cheap replacement phone in the meantime?

I still have a Galaxy Nexus in the drawer, but it's just very annoying to have a phone fail like that. I think I'd rather have a cracked screen.

Vanillalite

The coming Lumia flagships are going to have USB Type-C with USB 3.0.
But they're probably coming in November, so the Nexus phones should still be first.

I still have a Galaxy Nexus in the drawer, but it's just very annoying to have a phone fail like that. I think I'd rather have a cracked screen.

You can get a cheap Moto E for $99.

You can get a cheap Moto E for $99.

I'm not spending money on some shitty Android phone, when I already have one that is just as shitty in the drawer. Even if the battery lasts only half a day, I can still charge it at work. Even then, I'd rather buy a cheap, shitty Windows Phone, as that one is guaranteed to be smoother.

kinggroin

Banned
M7 can't be great with a 4 MP camera. It was good, but the beginning of their decline.

M7 didn't release in 2015, don't be daft.

Even if the camera resolution was a weak spot, it had OIS and amazing software on top.

M7 was the peak with the M8 being a wash (safe but very solid iteration).

“While the Android ecosystem in Europe and China continues to offer several brands to choose from, Android in the U.S. is undergoing its strongest consolidation yet, with Samsung and LG now accounting for 78% of all Android sales.”
oh snap

Vanillalite

The Moto E for 100 bucks seems overpriced.

Why? Hardware wise it's got the same internals as the more expensive Moto G. Only difference is the screen res and the camera. Snap 410 and a gig of ram for $99 is the same internals as a lot of $150-$200 phones.

If anything I'd say those other phones are the over priced ones.

Top Bottom