• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

kami_sama

it's either cases or the optional extended warranty they have for people in china

As said in the oneplus subreddit, it looks like the Otterbox case.
11265013_1588633361400539_1670245088_n.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Legitimate question. Why would anyone buy OPT over Moto?

Goddammit, now that Verizon is ending contracts on Aug. 13th I need to seriously think about getting the Note 4 now so I can pay the subsidized price instead of waiting for the Note 5.

I'm amazed that the Verizon Note 4 hasn't been rooted yet, it seems recent Samsung devices really have that bootloader on lockdown.

If Moto had a fingerprint scanner and USB-C it would be perfect, but nope -_-
Meh it's still too big and the battery life is likely mediocre. Speculation by me but 3000mah aint much for a 5.7 qhd phone. Note 5 probably has it right with 4100mah for that screen size.

Camera is probably still not that great knowing Motorola. Then yeah there's the fingerprint sensor and type c thing.

Meh it's still too big and the battery life is likely mediocre. Speculation by me but 3000mah aint much for a 5.7 qhd phone. Note 5 probably has it right with 4100mah for that screen size.

Camera is probably still not that great knowing Motorola. Then yeah there's the fingerprint sensor and type c thing.

The size is actually more manageable than I though, but yeah that battery will be shit. I have a Moto with a QHD screen(droid Turbo) and it barely gets me through a day with a 3900 mAh battery.

I'll wait and see on the camera.

Furyous

three reasons:

The OP2 probably resells for much more intially than the Moto X 2015. Obviously, later on resell value of the Moto X is higher but.... *birdman handrub*

Fingerprint sensor and USB C. If I use a more powerful charger does charging time go down?

Final reason is cost. $389 unlocked for a 5.5 inch device is perfect. OP needs to find a way around lack of NFC somehow someway.

Personally, 5.7 inches is too big. There's a joke somewhere in there but I won't it so feel free. Anywhoo, people in the market for a Galaxy Note should give the Moto X 2015 a solid look.

Goddammit, now that Verizon is ending contracts on Aug. 13th I need to seriously think about getting the Note 4 now so I can pay the subsidized price instead of waiting for the Note 5.

I'm amazed that the Verizon Note 4 hasn't been rooted yet, it seems recent Samsung devices really have that bootloader on lockdown.
Should still be grandfathered in for the upgrade price

3phemeral

Should still be grandfathered in for the upgrade price

I tried upgrading recently and every place I went to, they would no longer honor the upgrade discount while keeping my grandfathered unlimited data. I was lucky enough to find someone who got me the 64GB S6 for the upgrade price but they were the manager of that particular store and I assume they could override it.

If you're on a family plan, there is a possibility of transferring your upgrade over to a family member who doesn't have unlimited data, activating it on their line, and then deactivating it under the excuse that "They didn't want the phone and are gifting it to me" and asking them to transfer it to yours (that's how I got my Moto X). You should then be able to insert your SIM card into your new phone and use it. I was told this doesn't work anymore, either, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Jigolo

A note 4 is a bad purchase right now. My advice is not to do it

kami_sama

Like I said before, here in Spain the Style will cost north of 500€ (the Play is at 395€, for example), it has a better battery (QHD LCD with only 3000 mAh?), fingerprint sensor, better size (at least for me), USB-C.

But you lose QuickCharging, NFC and the better service (not having to send your phone to chine is a big plus).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Personally the Fingerprint Sensor is the top reason for me. If it didn't have it I wouldn't be looking towards it at all.

saying that I do hate the fact it doesn't have NFC and Quick Charge

Smart unlock should make fingerprint unlock less critical but it needs some improvement. Fingerprint really comes into its own when paired with NFS and android pay. So the fact that one has NFS but no fingerprint reader, and the other has NFS but no fingerprint reader, means neither is a must buy for some specific features. They need to be a set.

According to analyst reports™ the next Meizu flagship (hey, remember these guys?) is going to have the Exynos 7420, same SoC that's in the S6.

Groof

The Moto X Play is very interesting to me, especially after MKBHD raving about the new Moto G's battery. I could definitely go with lower internal specs for a bigger battery. Just need to see new Nexus.

The Moto X Play is very interesting to me, especially after MKBHD raving about the new Moto G's battery. I could definitely go with lower internal specs for a bigger battery. Just need to see new Nexus.

I really hope Google has a good color selection from the start. Otherwise it's going to be a boring design again.

Saiyan-Rox

Smart unlock should make fingerprint unlock less critical but it needs some improvement. Fingerprint really comes into its own when paired with NFS and android pay. So the fact that one has NFS but no fingerprint reader, and the other has NFS but no fingerprint reader, means neither is a must buy for some specific features. They need to be a set.

Smart unlock is really good but the one issue it has is if your friends grab your phone and use it while you're there it'll unlock lol I've had that little issue quite a few times.

I really hope Google has a good color selection from the start. Otherwise it's going to be a boring design again.

You can have any colour you like....

As long as its black or white

Husker86

Actually, smart unlock is less convenient than fingerprint unlock. I have an S6 and I don't enable any smart unlock because with fingerprint unlock, you go directly to the homescreen when your print is recognized. With smart unlock, you still have to swipe up on the lockscreen.

Though, phones with the fingerprint scanner on the back might make me change my opinion about this...

mturco

Actually, smart unlock is less convenient than fingerprint unlock. I have an S6 and I don't enable any smart unlock because with fingerprint unlock, you go directly to the homescreen when your print is recognized. With smart unlock, you still have to swipe up on the lockscreen.

Though, phones with the fingerprint scanner on the back might make me change my opinion about this...

This might be a stupid question, but if you wanted to just view the lockscreen without unlocking (say to glance at notifications quickly), how would you do that? Use the power button instead of home?

Top Bottom