• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I wonder if I should just buy an iP6S with my last Verizon subsidized upgrade and sell it to help pay for the Note 5 I want. LOL.

As a hedge, I could order the device online, wait until the 13th, and based on what Verizon announces at that time, return the unopened device within the 14 days return period if the news is favorable. I really want to hold out for a Note 5 but I'll be damned if I have to pay the full $900 for it.

I wonder if I should just buy an iP6S with my last Verizon subsidized upgrade and sell it to help pay for the Note 5 I want. LOL.

As a hedge, I could order the device online, wait until the 13th, and based on what Verizon announces at that time, return the unopened device within the 14 days return period if the news is favorable. I really want to hold out for a Note 5 but I'll be damned if I have to pay the full $900 for it.

I think you may have some issues with the first plan. Verizon is weird about subsidized phones.

vwnut13

Asus has a ton of garbage running in the background that you can't disable unless you root. They are where Samsung was 4 years ago with garbage apps running

Actually, you can disable without root using ADB. Debloater by Gatesjunior simplifies it, but it still requires you to have ADB on your PC.

I'm just stunned they thought the M9 was a good idea.

In an attempt to turn the tide, the company is apparently working on a “fashionable and trendy” phone that it hopes will turn its fortunes around. For the most part, however, it may have to rely on drastic cost cutting measures to stop the bleeding, and significant job cuts are coming, according to the company’s chief financial officer.

“The cuts will be across the board,” said Chialin Chang, the company’s CFO, in an interview with reporters after his company announced its abysmal second quarter results. “They will be significant.”

thuway

Honestly, I'm confused as to how companies like HTC think they can even survive long term in this crowded market place. Outside of Samsung (who is losing money hand over fist) and the incoming Chinese players - there is very little potential for a long term healthy revenue stream. You might have some bright years, but sales will dwindle and dwindle because your entire pricing paradigm was based on an era where consumers were charged an arm and a leg for smartphones.

The real chasing point is high end specs at low end prices. Android is quickly becoming a race to the bottom, and will most likely take a huge blow at Apple's bottom dollar as well- as consumers slowly realize that paying $600 + for a Smartphone is stupid.

Honestly, I'm confused as to how companies like HTC think they can even survive long term in this crowded market place. Outside of Samsung (who is losing money hand over fist) and the incoming Chinese players - there is very little potential for a long term healthy revenue stream. You might have some bright years, but sales will dwindle and dwindle because your entire pricing paradigm was based on an era where consumers were charged an arm and a leg for smartphones.

The real chasing point is high end specs at low end prices. Android is quickly becoming a race to the bottom, and will most likely take a huge blow at Apple's bottom dollar as well- as consumers slowly realize that paying $600 + for a Smartphone is stupid.

HTC really should follow the OnePlus model. High end specs with small mark up is where its at. They would sell millions, especially in markets like India. India has pretty much taken over the OnePlus forums since it launched there.

Husker86

Your post all makes sense, except the part about Samsung losing money. Profits are down, but they are still making money.

I gave up on HTC a few years ago. I really liked them, too. HTC phones were my first Android phones, and my first smartphones (HTC Mogul/Diamond/Touch Pro...yeah, that's right). The Thunderbolt was my last HTC phone...ugh, that thing...

Talon

HTC really should follow the OnePlus model. High end specs with small mark up is where its at. They would sell millions, especially in markets like India. India has pretty much taken over the OnePlus forums since it launched there.
OnePlus can do what it does because it's a lean operation that's focused on a single product and a single distribution point: direct to consumer. OnePlus plays in a corner of a sliver of the game of chess that HTC, Samsung, Apple play.

HTC is a legacy business that is used to serving across the spectrum along multiple distribution points: reseller, carrier, and barely any direct to consumer.

The market you're describing is a race to the bottom. Races to the bottom rarely turn out well for all players. See: the windows pc ecosystem today.
Your post all makes sense, except the part about Samsung losing money. Profits are down, but they are still making money.

I gave up on HTC a few years ago. I really liked them, too. HTC phones were my first Android phones, and my first smartphones (HTC Mogul/Diamond/Touch Pro...yeah, that's right). The Thunderbolt was my last HTC phone...ugh, that thing...
Samsung's days of riding the S/Note line to profit heights is over. They've been pinched out of the high-end and are being pinched out of the low end by Micromax, Huawei, Xiaomi.

Samsung has the benefit of being a diversified conglomerate. Samsung Mobile's decline can be offset by other parts of the business.

OnePlus can do what it does because it's a lean operation that's focused on a single product and a single distribution point: direct to consumer.

HTC is a legacy business that is used to serving across the spectrum along multiple distribution points: reseller, carrier, and barely any direct to consumer.

The market you're describing is a race to the bottom. Races to the bottom rarely turn out well for all players. See: the windows pc ecosystem today.

Well nowadays you can build your own PC, hope I'll be able to build my own phone in the next 10 years!

Talon

Some graphs from our friend Benedict Evans.

Old people like Samsung:
CLs1-ufVEAUZs1g.png

Samsung Semiconductor heartily surpasses Samsung Mobile.
CLLh1v2UEAANzit.png

LG Peaked:
CLFP7efUAAAqnBL.png

Sid

How does the NA version of Note 4 with Snapdragon 805 compare to the International version which has Exynos 7420 Octa?
You mean the exynos 5433,the SD 805 runs cooler except for that it's pretty much comparable in every way.BTW I posted the wrong vid earlier,here's the correct one showing how fluid 5.1.1 is on the Note 4:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ReaGBUQbTKk

The earlier one just shows the much improved RAM management.

Most of those issues are gone with the 5.1.1 update going by the vids I just posted.

Jigolo

Yeah but the Note 4 will probably get a shitty M firmware whenever it gets that in June of next year. So it's life cycle will be good for 10 months then have a shitty, buggy firmware update (probably). I'm not shitting on the Note 4, it's a good device but buying it right now wouldn't be the best thing to do.

Just get the Note 5 folks. It's future proof in every way sans USB-C. Very powerful 64-bit chip (7420/22), UFS 2.0, it's probably going to have that quick charging shit, and the fingerprint sensor is better than last years. The pros out weigh the cons if the only thing you're worried about is a micro SD card slot. (Shit's a relic of the past for smartphones imo)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah but the Note 4 will probably get a shitty M firmware whenever it gets that in June of next year. So it's life cycle will be good for 10 months then have a shitty, buggy firmware update (probably). I'm not shitting on the Note 4, it's a good device but buying it right now wouldn't be the best thing to do.

Just get the Note 5 folks. It's future proof in every way sans USB-C. Very powerful 64-bit chip (7420/22), UFS 2.0, it's probably going to have that quick charging shit, and the fingerprint sensor is better than last years. The pros out weigh the cons if the only thing you're worried about is a micro SD card slot. (Shit's a relic of the past for smartphones imo)
Man am I glad I went for the Nexus 6 instead of a Note 4. You can talk about how great the hardware is but at the end of the day, if the software is rubbish, who cares. And right now, that's all I'm hearing.

Quasar

I do wonder how the supposed success of the Moto-G is doing for Motorola.

But the market has matured to the point where (just like PCs) there's little reason aside from specific niches to buy a high end device. That's probably why battery aside (and a desire for fingerprint support) I feel no need to replace my nexus 4.

My nexus 4 has the ghost touch issue on top of the battery going bad, so I'm having trouble waiting for a new phone(probably either the nexus 5-2 or the xperia z5 compact).

Just a few more months....

Sch1sm

My nexus 4 has the ghost touch issue on top of the battery going bad, so I'm having trouble waiting for a new phone(probably either the nexus 5-2 or the xperia z5 compact).

Just a few more months....

I'm getting that same thing on my N5 on M-2. It's really irritating me.

longdi

Banned
I been using 5.1.1 on Z2 for almost a month now. It is stable and fast. Sony has been very good at firmware updates these days.

It is the hardware side they are slacking badly, like rushing to launch a Z5 with SD810 is mind boggling stupid!

Sch1sm

A lot of that going around, if you can, why not wait for the Nexus 5.2?

We all have trust issues. Rumour has it there's only a 180mAh gain in battery, and despite staying at a 1080p screen, it's still not significant enough a change. M improves standby time. On current Nexus devices, but not overall SoT. That's my major concern, at least. Battery.

I'm wary. Waiting it all out, though. I'll buy a new device after I hear Nexus reviews.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's a shame most phones can't last longer than 2 years. Nexus 4 phones dying is absurd. They should last. I don't understand why anything, other than the battery, should degrade.

Top Bottom