• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

vivftp

I been using 5.1.1 on Z2 for almost a month now. It is stable and fast. Sony has been very good at firmware updates these days.

It is the hardware side they are slacking badly, like rushing to launch a Z5 with SD810 is mind boggling stupid!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the last word on the subject is that phones with SD820 won't be out until early next year. That's when the Xperia Z6 should be out, no? As far as I can tell they're making the Z5 with the currently best available chipset for them to choose from.

In a way I would hope they would hold off on making a new Z Ultra phone until early next year to take advantage of the better chipset... but if they do wind up making one based on the Z5, I might just have to bite.

reKon

Banned
It's a shame most phones can't last longer than 2 years. Nexus 4 phones dying is absurd. They should last. I don't understand why anything, other than the battery, should degrade.

Still probably would have kept my HTC One M7 until this day if that phone wasn't stolen.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It's a shame most phones can't last longer than 2 years. Nexus 4 phones dying is absurd. They should last. I don't understand why anything, other than the battery, should degrade.
I'm probably one of the lucky few in that my N4 is still going strong, battery aside. No major damage to the glass either. I'm upgrading in the fall but really just cause of the battery and camera.

longdi

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the last word on the subject is that phones with SD820 won't be out until early next year. That's when the Xperia Z6 should be out, no? As far as I can tell they're making the Z5 with the currently best available chipset for them to choose from.

In a way I would hope they would hold off on making a new Z Ultra phone until early next year to take advantage of the better chipset... but if they do wind up making one based on the Z5, I might just have to bite.

Well they just launched Z4/Z3+ with much worse battery life and no new hardware upgrades (fingerprint,camera sensors etc).

Now they are moving to Z5, at least it is coming with a fingerprint scanner. But going up against the Note5, Sony is losing on the hardware wow factor. Battery life used to be Sony ace, but going with 810 and thinner form factor, they have nothing interesting of note!

People are going to call out Sony on their incremental updates and 2 flagships per year. Receding on the promises to focus on 1 bestest Xperia. I can see reviews are not going to be favorable. It is hardly brand building/loyalty stuffs imo.

Ironically the plastic Samsung phones people like to shit on are the ones that last forever. My Note II is a tank. It's always in a case but I've dropped it more times than I care to count on everything from carpet to concrete. It will be 3 years old and still like new the day I replace it with my Note 5.

Hasney

Ironically the plastic Samsung phones people like to shit on are the ones that last forever. My Note II is a tank. It's always in a case but I've dropped it more times than I care to count on everything from carpet to concrete. It will be 3 years old and still like new the day I replace it with my Note 5.

S4 was shoddy as hell. Common USB port issue and the back plastic was much flimsier. I year S3s still hold up now though.

kami_sama

Vhalyar

My iPhone 5S is on the verge of death... which means it's time to use my company's "trade an apple for a droid" policy again :)

Would now be a good time to grab (from any available) an Android phone, or is it better to wait a bit more? And what would be the best options available?

Have to admit I've not had a chance to look into android news at all for a while so I'm pretty outdated.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My iPhone 5S is on the verge of death... which means it's time to use my company's "trade an apple for a droid" policy again :)

Would now be a good time to grab (from any available) an Android phone, or is it better to wait a bit more? And what would be the best options available?

Have to admit I've not had a chance to look into android news at all for a while so I'm pretty outdated.
Wait for October.

I'm torn between the Moto X and Huawei Nexus. Price is gonna be a huge factor.
Well we know the huawei nexus is gonna go to carriers right away so I don't know if it'll be cheap. It'll also have more features than the X.

I could be wrong but I still think the 5-2 will be the affordable off contract one and the huawei nexus will be the high end regular phone.

Fatalah

Lately, I've noticed YouTube drains my battery even though the app isn't launched. Google results show it's a chronic problem, but I have no idea how to solve it.

Nothing lasts forever. I guess if they used sturdier materials it might help, but no matter what it is it'll only last so long.

I think I'm ready to jump ship. Why did Moto have to have such a long time between announcement and actual release for the Pure/Style?

One question about the Moto's SD slot: is it only for stuff like photos/music or can apps be installed as well? Makes me question what the reasoning is for still having a 16/32/64gb option

zewone

I think I'm ready to jump ship. Why did Moto have to have such a long time between announcement and actual release for the Pure/Style?

One question about the Moto's SD slot: is it only for stuff like photos/music or can apps be installed as well? Makes me question what the reasoning is for still having a 16/32/64gb option
Some apps can be installed to SD, while most well require being installed on internal storage. At least without root.

I think M will allow SD cards to be treated as internal memory? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

jay23

I'm probably one of the lucky few in that my N4 is still going strong, battery aside. No major damage to the glass either. I'm upgrading in the fall but really just cause of the battery and camera.

Same here problem is if I'm not near a charger I could watch my battery tick down to 0 in less than 2 hours of screen time.

teiresias

My Nexus 5 has still NOT had the Stagefright fix pushed to it. You'd think Google would be a bit more on the ball about expediting the slow as hell OTA roll-out process for security updates. I sure as hell don't want to flash the factory image and have to redo my phone for their new monthly security updates.

MarkusRJR

So apparently I have an upgrade if I want to sign another contract. Not sure if I should stay with my current provider (Telus) and get a Moto X Play or go with MTS and get a Galaxy S6, LG G4, or the upcoming Blackberry android slider. I get the same plan for cheaper if I move to MTS so I'm willing to spend more on a nicer phone.

My main priorities are battery life and build quality. What do you guys recommend? I remember hearing the S6 having bad battery life from impressions in this thread a few months ago. Honestly I kind of want to stick with BB since I love their hardware keyboards but if something else will be better I'm totally open to the idea.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/10/hangouts-4-0-for-android-rolls-out-today/

hangouts-4.0-android.jpg

well I be damned

jokkir

Can't wait for more complaining about Hangouts when the new version rolls out because Google would have half assed it again

Saiyan-Rox

Hangouts 4.0 still pastes a copied image as a link instead of attaching the image.

iOS stays winning.

Lol really??

Downloading now let's see if Hangouts is finally worth using (probably not)

Whoa its stuttering and lagging quite a bit here, give it a little it settle I guess.

-edm

Neo Member
The new hangouts is slow and laggy on my N6. Scrolling through contacts or your list of voice calls is rough and why does it tell me what account I'm signed is as every time I view my messages..?

Looks nice and all but performance is a joke. Sticking with messenger for the time being.

Top Bottom