• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Oh look something T-Mobile has had for 2 years already.

Yet according to Talon, T-Mobile has had absolutely zero influence on the US telecoms industry, and the very notion that they were disruptive in any sense is worthy of intense mockery.

XyFu1yL.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well they just launched Z4/Z3+ with much worse battery life and no new hardware upgrades (fingerprint,camera sensors etc).

Now they are moving to Z5, at least it is coming with a fingerprint scanner. But going up against the Note5, Sony is losing on the hardware wow factor. Battery life used to be Sony ace, but going with 810 and thinner form factor, they have nothing interesting of note!

People are going to call out Sony on their incremental updates and 2 flagships per year. Receding on the promises to focus on 1 bestest Xperia. I can see reviews are not going to be favorable. It is hardly brand building/loyalty stuffs imo.

I've said it before but criticism of Xperia Z continues to confuse the hell out of me. Everyone seems to do it too. It is a simple design with no massive bezels or anything particularly horrible. Waterproof and dustproof, great battery, dedicated two stage camera shutter button (something I really like, especially for quick launching the camera when locked). Yes some specific elements might not be up there with some other flagships, but it is a solid phone. And everyone is doing incremental updates this year - except Samsung who actually went all out and then seemingly got bitten on the ass by it.

I've seen Ex Machina on Sunday and it really got me thinking about Google's shenanigans. Fun movie.

Should I start using hangouts? I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to messaging. A bit of texting, some Facebook messenger, some what's app. Depends what my friends use. Does hangouts do anything to help collate that in a useful way?

Unless you chat with others who are using Hangouts, I don't see how it's useful.

So...how about those ABCs and XYZs.

Their Alphabet goes only from A to M right now.

BlazinAm

The moto x is $400 and the one plus 2 is $319. How the hell does Sony plan on staying alive with those prices?

One Plus is still incredibility niche at the moment and Moto X at least in the US is going to be dependent on carrier visibility.

US getting the shaft. Shitty of them not announcing this until the day before invites go out

Invites don't cost anyone anything or at least shouldn't.

Hasney

He has to mean Nexus leaks right? Why else would it slow down afterward considering those are the next big thangs other than iphone:

Kzy0gI6.png

Could be iPhone leaks? No idea who he is/what has leaked from the iPhone.

There is the alleged Z5 too but yeah, other than that, can't think what else until 2016 phones.

Ty4on

Apparenty it rewrites the file with every new fingerprint that is scanned so a piece of malware could just keep copying it and get every finger which uses the fingerprint sensor.

Edit: All the Android phones they tested didn't secure the sensor itself so a piece of malware could just use it to figure out the user's fingerprint. That and HTC's extra exploit have been patched.

Is that tablet any good? Also, I understand these brand tablets are full of bloated software. Is it possible to do a 'clean' Android OS install on a tablet?

I've got the 8.4" version. It's fine, specs are a lot better than what you'll find in a new tablet from Currys/Argos etc.

You can root and install cyanogenmod if you want a 'clean' android experience, but on mine I just disabled a lot of the Samsung software and then installed Google launcher.

jesalr

I'm so close to throwing my Nexus 5 through a wall.

It only lasts a day with some serious babying, and has been slowing to a crawl/becoming entirely unresponsive when network conditions change. I can't use the phone for at least 5 minutes after coming out of an underground tunnel or leaving my house and losing WiFi for cell.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm so close to throwing my Nexus 5 through a wall.

It only lasts a day with some serious babying, and has been slowing to a crawl/becoming entirely unresponsive when network conditions change. I can't use the phone for at least 5 minutes after coming out of an underground tunnel or leaving my house and losing WiFi for cell.

Have you tried a factory reset?

Mindwipe

I've said it before but criticism of Xperia Z continues to confuse the hell out of me. Everyone seems to do it too. It is a simple design with no massive bezels or anything particularly horrible. Waterproof and dustproof, great battery, dedicated two stage camera shutter button (something I really like, especially for quick launching the camera when locked). Yes some specific elements might not be up there with some other flagships, but it is a solid phone. And everyone is doing incremental updates this year - except Samsung who actually went all out and then seemingly got bitten on the ass by it.

I'm even more confused by why people look at the Z5/C leaks and say "they should have done a redesign" when virtually every aspect of those handsets had been redesigned from their predecssors. No, it's not radical, but it was certainly reasonably different for a one year difference. It's not like some HTC level shit.

How different do people expect phones to look, especially relatively unadorned ones?

Now that I've seen the new skin sony is working on, I look at the current one with disgust. Wake me up when they roll it out :p

Then the compact line will become that much better.

Vanillalite

Nah, just riding it out until the 6S+ at this point. Will wipe it for M at that point. Can't be bothered setting up the device and then switching to something else in a few weeks. I'll do it when I need it as a dev device.

Google has cloud backup for a reason.

If it's that bad I wouldn't suffer for a month or two when it would take you say an hour to reset.

It's prettier, but I am concerned that it's functionally worse.

meh I'd take the less features and cleanliness and simplicity of stock over the mess that is toucwiz/UX/etc... and all the problems they bring.

Out of all the skins and all the features I could only think of maybe 1 or 2 features I wish were on stock...sort of.

Vanillalite

Hangouts 4 is sooo good, but soo fucking shitty at the same time.

Why do gifs only half work? Why did you put all of those buttons below where you type? Why does it say signing in as (insert email here) every time you reopen the app? Why are copy and pasted images only a hyperlink?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Hangouts 4 is sooo good, but soo fucking shitty at the same time.

Why do gifs only half work? Why did you put all of those buttons below where you type? Why does it say signing in as (insert email here) every time you reopen the app? Why are copy and pasted images only a hyperlink?

so so annoying

jesalr

Google has cloud backup for a reason.

If it's that bad I wouldn't suffer for a month or two when it would take you say an hour to reset.

Backup never actually works for app date, does it? I can't remember a single time I've gotten it to restore an app and all of its state.

kIdMuScLe

The criticism comes from the fact that they release 2 flagship phones every year so in turn making those who bought a Xperia phone feel old and behind in less than 6 months. Think about it... Within 2 years they have released Xperia z, z1, z1s, z2, z3, z3v, z4 (z3+), and now the soon to be released z5. Why so many flagship phones within 2 years?!?!!?

vivftp

The criticism comes from the fact that they release 2 flagship phones every year so in turn making those who bought a Xperia phone feel old and behind in less than 6 months. Think about it... Within 2 years they have released Xperia z, z1, z1s, z2, z3, z3v, z4 (z3+), and now the soon to be released z5. Why so many flagship phones within 2 years?!?!!?

From what I understand it's partly due to the Japanese market where carriers desire a new flagship every 6 months. Not to mention if they have a new handset out every 6 months during the common periods of phone launches by the competition, it keeps them relevant in the publics eye and an option when shopping for their next phone.

I know some months ago there were rumblings that they might go away from this 6 month cycle, but so far that doesn't look like it's happening.

Anyways, I just want a new Z Ultra... make it happen Sony!

He has to mean Nexus leaks right? Why else would it slow down afterward considering those are the next big thangs other than iphone:

Kzy0gI6.png

This is what it's come to, huh? Speculating about Nexus leaks based on vague tweets that could, really, be about almost anything.

Then again...

scoop dogg ‏@scoupdogg 6h6 hours ago
@OnLeaks hope its the new nexus!!! And thanks for all your leaks, seriously appreciate it, from someone who has nothing to look forward to.

OnLeaks ‏@OnLeaks 6h6 hours ago
@scoupdogg ;)

NEXUS CONFIRMED.

Wreav

Banned
I know that it is a shitty security practice that could easily be avoided, but we literally carry around our unencrypted fingerprints where ever we go and leave unencrypted copies on pretty much everything we touch. Is there any way an unencrypted fingerprint image could be abused?

That Android apologism culture.

And all you need to know about that video is this one frame

Al7SRg5.png

Top Bottom