• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

M52B28

Banned
I am in sort of a dilemma.

I currently have a 2013 Moto X Developer's Edition. I purchased it in March, so it hasn't been used all that much. This Moto X is the Verizon XT1060 version. The 2013 Moto X got Lollipop a few months ago, but the Verizon version hasn't received it yet. Lately, I've been reading that Verizon doesn't bother updating older phones, so I'm really frustrated being stuck on 4.4.2 and missing out on 5.1 features.

The phone works perfectly and rarely has hangups when running things, but the problem is mainly on the software side. That said, I'm considering just selling this Moto X and either picking up the $219 Moto G, which has Lollipop 5.1 installed already, or either the OnePlus Two, which is running Oxygen OS.

The Moto G is cheaper, but to you all, which is the wisest purchase?

_____

I also want to discuss how awesome it is that the Moto X Style will not have any carrier branding. Having depend on a company to update your phone that is from another company is downright stupid.

I am in sort of a dilemma.

I currently have a 2013 Moto X Developer's Edition. I purchased it in March, so it hasn't been used all that much. This Moto X is the Verizon XT1060 version. The 2013 Moto X got Lollipop a few months ago, but the Verizon version hasn't received it yet. Lately, I've been reading that Verizon doesn't bother updating older phones, so I'm really frustrated being stuck on 4.4.2 and missing out on 5.1 features.

The phone works perfectly and rarely has hangups when running things, but the problem is mainly on the software side. That said, I'm considering just selling this Moto X and either picking up the $219 Moto G, which has Lollipop 5.1 installed already, or either the OnePlus Two, which is running Oxygen OS.

The Moto G is cheaper, but to you all, which is the wisest purchase?

_____

I also want to discuss how awesome it is that the Moto X Style will not have any carrier branding. Having depend on a company to update your phone that is from another company is downright stupid.

Don't waste money on a Moto G. Try to get a One Plus One if possible. The 16gb model goes for $250 and they don't charge tax. Magnitudes more powerful than the G. The OP2 will be hard to get for awhile.

M52B28

Banned
Don't waste money on a Moto G. Try to get a One Plus One if possible. The 16gb model goes for $250 and they don't charge tax. Magnitudes more powerful than the G. The OP2 will be hard to get for awhile.
So, you don't recommend the 2015 Moto G over the One Plus One?

Isn't the main difference between the One Plus Two the fingerprint scanner and the abandoning of CyanogenMod for Oxygen OS?
1p1 works on Verion?

Oh, there's one thing that I didn't mention. I'm using a pay as you go carrier called Straight Talk. It doesn't matter what phone I use, as long as it is unlocked of course.

1p1 works on Verion?

Nope. Apparently the 2 can but you won't get LTE.

So, you don't recommend the 2015 Moto G over the One Plus One?

Isn't the main difference between the One Plus Two the fingerprint scanner and the abandoning of CyanogenMod for Oxygen OS?

Oh, there's one thing that I didn't mention. I'm using a pay as you go carrier called Straight Talk. It doesn't matter what phone I use, as long as it is unlocked of course.

The OPO is a much better phone than the Moto G 2015. More powerful and more future proof and also bigger 1080p screen. You would be silly to go for the G over the One Plus One. The One Plus 2 is much more expensive and you have to get an invite. You can get a One Plus One easily. 64gb for $299+ no taxes https://oneplus.net/oneplus-one

M52B28

Banned
Nope. Apparently the 2 can but you won't get LTE.

The OPO is a much better phone than the Moto G 2015. More powerful and more future proof and also bigger 1080p screen. You would be silly to go for the G over the One Plus One. The One Plus 2 is much more expensive and you have to get an invite. You can get a One Plus One easily. 64gb for $299+ no taxes https://oneplus.net/oneplus-one
Alright. I'll take your advice into consideration. It seems pretty smart to do just that. Thanks.

Crisis averted, Verizon is not changing how contracts work for existing customers.

I guess I'll go back to peacefully waiting for the Note 5. Please have mercy on your customers and put the microSD slot back Samsung ;_;

MarkusRJR

Was literally going to pick up an LG G4 today and went on XDA to find out where to find leather backs in Canada. Ended up finding out that there are rampant touch responsiveness problems on the phone, with no official response other than LG basically saying "okay we'll see if we can figure out why" from a month or two ago.

How are unresponsive touch screens a problem in 2015? WTF? Now I'm not sure what phone I should use my contract on, because while the G4 was basically my perfect phone I know a shitty touch screen will piss me off to no end. I would get the S6 but the battery life sounds shitty, no removeable battery or sd card slot, and no black colored variant of it yet.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Are you looking to get something out of it?

If not, no. What's the point?
I suppose I'd be looking for something that potentially improves performance or battery life and allows me to alter the appearance of things such as the lockscreen. I don't know much about Android phones, but I'm assuming by your response the stock firmware is good enough?

Was literally going to pick up an LG G4 today and went on XDA to find out where to find leather backs in Canada. Ended up finding out that there are rampant touch responsiveness problems on the phone, with no official response other than LG basically saying "okay we'll see if we can figure out why" from a month or two ago.

How are unresponsive touch screens a problem in 2015? WTF? Now I'm not sure what phone I should use my contract on, because while the G4 was basically my perfect phone I know a shitty touch screen will piss me off to no end. I would get the S6 but the battery life sounds shitty, no removeable battery or sd card slot, and no black colored variant of it yet.
If you don't need to have a new phone like right now, you could wait for the announcement/unveiling of the rumored Nexus 5-2 flagship.
All leaks point to it being made by LG, as a successor to the old N5 ... so big chance that it might be based on the G4 with some changes/fixes.

Although i can't understand why LG has problems with the touchscreen ... my good old N5 works perfectly fine ... now my Asus Nexus 7 2013 on the other hand ...

Sch1sm

I suppose I'd be looking for something that potentially improves performance or battery life and allows me to alter the appearance of things such as the lockscreen. I don't know much about Android phones, but I'm assuming by your response the stock firmware is good enough?

Root and find a custom ROM that fits what you want for your device's aesthetic, over just installing a third party launcher. In regards to battery life, there's these apps, and you should also go for a custom kernel. Just make sure it's one compatible with your current version of Android.

I keep my devices stock always, so I have that bias. I've also never owned a Samsung (smart phone) before, anyway, so someone else will have to chime in on the stock firmware question.

MarkusRJR

If you don't need to have a new phone like right now, you could wait for the announcement/unveiling of the rumored Nexus 5-2 flagship.
All leaks point to it being made by LG, as a successor to the old N5 ... so big chance that it might be based on the G4 with some changes/fixes.

Although i can't understand why LG has problems with the touchscreen ... my good old N5 works perfectly fine ... now my Asus Nexus 7 2013 on the other hand ...

New leak by OnLeaks https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/631387799695060992?s=09

Only new info is the metal body and the size of the phone.
Guess I'll wait and see what the new Nexus phones look like and what the BlackBerry Android slider looks like. Do we have an idea when the Nexus phones this year will be announced?

But yeah apparently the G4 has no touchscreen issues in the Eastern side of the world, which makes me think it's the NA software or something. Annoying though, I really was hoping to get the G4 since it seems perfect otherwise.

New leak by OnLeaks https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/6...695060992?s=09

Only new info is the metal body and the size of the phone.
honestly in 2015 that's a good size for a android phone so I can't complain. Metal body is pretty surprising for the LG phone. I'm just glad we have 5.2, fingerprint scanning, type c. 5 inches still would have been better but can't win em all.

All I need is confirmation of 1080p and a good battery and we in this son.

Guess I'll wait and see what the new Nexus phones look like and what the BlackBerry Android slider looks like. Do we have an idea when the Nexus phones this year will be announced?
Should be out late october I believe

I hope so, last year's Nexus 6 was way too big for me.

Edit: Looks like the LG will have only a metal frame, while the Huawei will be full-body metal. https://mobile.twitter.com/OnLeaks/s...16937172615172
wooooo that's what I was hoping. Price can still be decent. Just need the battery size to know if I'm happy. There's really nothing else that could disappoint me. I'm fine with any cpu (though if it is 620 it better be priced like it).

MarkusRJR

honestly in 2015 that's a good size for a android phone so I can't complain. Metal body is pretty surprising for the LG phone. I'm just glad we have 5.2, fingerprint scanning, type c. 5 inches still would have been better but can't win em all.

All I need is confirmation of 1080p and a good battery and we in this son.

Should be out late october I believe
That's actually the perfect time frame. The BB android slider is rumored to be announced around then (probably released in december but I'll have an idea as to what the phone is), and by then I'll know if the G4's touch screen issues gets actually fixed or not.

Hopefully the LG Nexus has a competently sized battery.

That's actually the perfect time frame. The BB android slider is rumored to be announced around then (probably released in december but I'll have an idea as to what the phone is), and by then I'll know if the G4's touch screen issues gets actually fixed or not.

Hopefully the LG Nexus has a competently sized battery.
Yeah, well ... the battery in the old N5 was sadly lackluster ... it was ok ... but not great.

The battery in the Nexus 6 does look better ... but i think the battery game is a little game of luck with Nexus devices.

Maybe you can look into the new Moto X phones? Near stock OS, fast updates, hardware should be good, too.

kami_sama

Glad to see both Nexii will indeed have stereo speakers. I hope the type c Google is going with isn't only USB 2.0 like the 1+2.

Edit:

Qualcomm Announces New Adreno 530 And 510 GPUs, Says First Snapdragon 820 Devices Will Arrive In 2016

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-snapdragon-820-devices-wont-come-until-2016/

I guess no 820 for the Huawei Nexus then.

Dammit you were fast :p
That confirms no 820 this year, but I think the nexus 5 will have the 620. They also announced the GPU inside the 620, an adreno 510, but nothing else about it is known.

Dammit you were fast :p
That confirms no 820 this year, but I think the nexus 5 will have the 620. They also announced the GPU inside the 620, an adreno 510, but nothing else about it is known.
If Chrome hadn't refreshed the tab when I came back to it I wouldn't have seen this article 'til later! :p

----

I don't get Qualcomm's naming scheme. Since the 620 has a 5xx series GPU, would that mean it's better than the GPU in even the 810 despite the chip being in the 6xx series?

Edit: Hmmm, after googling a bit, the 620 is actually sounding like a pretty good chip.

kami_sama

Sure? Didn't the G4 had an 808 one? I doubt they would change such a prominent part of the hardware design.

We don't know if they are basing the Nexus 5 on the G4.

If Chrome hadn't refreshed the tab when I came back to it I wouldn't have seen this article 'til later! :p

----

I don't get Qualcomm's naming scheme. Since the 620 has a 5xx series GPU, would that mean it's better than the GPU in even the 810 despite the chip being in the 6xx series?

Edit: Hmmm, after googling a bit, the 620 is actually sounding like a pretty good chip.

Yes, the 620 seems like a good chip, even more considering it's in the mid-range.

And it's not something everyone cares about, especially not if it increases the device footprint like that.
I agree that I could live without front facing speakers and the extra .2 inches. But in the android world unfortunately you can't have it all. I'll still be really happy if it has a good battery. Any camera performance would be bonus.

Also 620 has a 5xx series GPU? That's weird. Better than I thought. Even less reason to care if it's packing one of those.

Jigolo

Front facing speakers will do that.

Here is the Z4 for example at 146mm

xperia-z4-2shot.jpg

I'm either expecting the bezels to be huge or the dimensions are wrong.

Top Bottom