• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

tzare

Front facing speakers are the only thing I accept extra bezel on, but something has to be wrong there surely. Even with the speakers, most phones have a smaller bezel than that.
Iphones have huge bezels and never see people criticising that.

tzare

Too busy using their phone to get shit done than worrying about the minutia of bezels.

Android users need real hobbies, basically.
I don't know. I always heard iphones have great design but besides using metal i do not see them being above competition. Huge bezels , awful home button,especially on the 4.7 model, protuding camera. Oh yes metal,like my spare 200€ ascend g7. Usually hidden because people use cases.

kami_sama

Here is a rnder comparing the Nexus 5 to the new LG Nexus:
Sk9lmsc.png
While I don't mind the upper and lower bezels, it means better speakers or other improvements, like the front-facing camera, the bezels at the left and right seem out of place.

Saiyan-Rox

Here is a rnder comparing the Nexus 5 to the new LG Nexus:

While I don't mind the upper and lower bezels, it means better speakers or other improvements, like the front-facing camera, the bezels at the left and right seem out of place.

Tbh I'd be all over a N5 that was bigger. Same design and everything I wouldn't care.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 6 has a MUCH better battery on M. It's much better on M today than when they initially released M. Must be some Play Services update.

RdN

Guys, I may have a chance to get a Moto X Play.

I currently have a 2014 Moto X and am pretty happy with it, expect for the ridiculous battery life. I see that the Moto X Play has a pretty big battery and that's really good.

My question is about the Snapdragon 600. How does it compare with the Snapdragon 801 that powers my current Moto X? Faster, slower?

Guys, I may have a chance to get a Moto X Play.

I currently have a 2014 Moto X and am pretty happy with it, expect for the ridiculous battery life. I see that the Moto X Play has a pretty big battery and that's really good.

My question is about the Snapdragon 600. How does it compare with the Snapdragon 801 that powers my current Moto X? Faster, slower?

You mean 615? CPU is a octocore with 4 1.7ghz cores and 4 1.0ghz cores. It may perform better than the 2014 Moto X in multicore stats, but the GPU is absolutely worse in the play.

Koren

I hope it's not the wrong thread for this, but I'd welcome an advice...

I intend to buy a smartphone (at last, you can't even imagine how old my current phone is) and one of the ones I considered is the LG G3.

The only thing that worry me is the possible overheating issue during use. I didn't want to bump the OT thread (which had the same questions unanswered last year), let alone create a new one... Can someone here it's not as bas as some people say? I can't rule out the idea of some gaming on it, so NeoGAF is probably a better place to ask than any other forum...

(Also considered an M8, it may have been my first choice, but it's getting difficult to find, and the price is on the rise instead of going down :/ Also, the non-servicable battery is a down)

I intend to buy a smartphone (at last, you can't even imagine how old my current phone is) and one of the ones I considered is the LG G3.

The only thing that worry me is the possible overheating issue during use. I didn't want to bump the OT thread (which had the same questions unanswered last year), let alone create a new one... Can someone here it's not as bas as some people say? I can't rule out the idea of some gaming on it, so NeoGAF is probably a better place to ask than any other forum...

(Also considered an M8, it may have been my first choice, but it's getting difficult to find, and the price is on the rise instead of going down :/ Also, the non-servicable battery is a down)

Can't answer on heating, but give us your price range and country and I'm sure we can find the perfect phone for you.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

In general its fine on my device.

That being said give us a country and a price range and we can help.

Koren

Can't answer on heating, but give us your price range and country and I'm sure we can find the perfect phone for you.
Can't say no to any interesting suggestions...

I'm in France. I'd prefer something under 300€ although I could afford going a bit higher (no contract).

I'm looking for something reliable enough to be used 4-5 years at least (I don't mind if I barely can run anything new in a couple of years), thus servicable battery is a plus, and decent performances today a must. I'm pretty sure it's not important, but I'm still looking for a low SAR.

Maiar_m

4-5 years in the smartphone world is a pipe dream IMO. The days of Nokia bricks that were indifferent to ageing are long past, sadly!

Can't say no to any interesting suggestions...

I'm in France. I'd prefer something under 300€ although I could afford going a bit higher (no contract).

I'm looking for something reliable enough to be used 4-5 years at least (I don't mind if I barely can run anything new in a couple of years), thus servicable battery is a plus, and decent performances today a must. I'm pretty sure it's not important, but I'm still looking for a low SAR.

The G3 may be your best shot, but it won't last 4-5 years. There isn't a smartphone on the planet that'll last that long.

Futureman

I think if you take care of your phone and aren't a power user 4-5 years would be doable. You may want to do a battery replacement at some point, but doable.

tzare

iPhone home button getting shit on. Guess the OP2 has your heart.
I was talking about design, not functionality that we can talk about if you wish. A huge round spot at the bottom is ugly as fuck. The design of samsung or OP2 that you mention are much more stylish and modern.

Koren

4-5 years in the smartphone world is a pipe dream IMO. The days of Nokia bricks that were indifferent to ageing are long past, sadly!

The G3 may be your best shot, but it won't last 4-5 years. There isn't a smartphone on the planet that'll last that long.
Out of curiosity, what kind of failure should I expect? Or is it just a matter of support?

I guess I won't be able to do much modern things on a 2014 phone in 2020, but as long as I can call with it, do some normal web browsing and program it myself, that could suffice to me. My current phone is 8 years old, and still working, although web in Edge is awful ^_^. My PDA is even older.

After all, original 2007 iPhone support stopped only two years ago, and a couple people are still using it. Is the tech really so much more unreliable? I'm not too keen with the idea of devices that you change each couple years... In fact, I spent in spare parts to repair my printer two years ago nearly as much as would have cost a new one, just out of principle.

Wreav

Banned
I was talking about design, not functionality that we can talk about if you wish. A huge round spot at the bottom is ugly as fuck. The design of samsung or OP2 that you mention are much more stylish and modern.

I feel the opposite. The roundness matching the shape of my finger. I almost never have to reposition my thumb, unlike the weird pill button on the Samsungs.

Iphone circle also balances nicely with the cam circles on the other end.

Out of curiosity, what kind of failure should I expect? Or is it just a matter of support?

I guess I won't be able to do much modern things on a 2014 phone in 2020, but as long as I can call with it, do some normal web browsing and program it myself, that could suffice to me. My current phone is 8 years old, and still working, although web in Edge is awful ^_^. My PDA is even older.

After all, original 2007 iPhone support stopped only two years ago, and a couple people are still using it. Is the tech really so much more unreliable? I'm not too keen with the idea of devices that you change each couple years... In fact, I spent in spare parts to repair my printer two years ago nearly as much as would have cost a new one, just out of principle.

LG stops supporting it's phones way eariler than Apple. For a G3 support might end next year. As far as failure you can get 2 or 3 years out of it easy, but I've never had a smartphone survive into it's fourth.

Top Bottom