• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Toki767

Wasn't the main problem with Google Wallet taking off that it was a Sprint exclusive or something in the US? That pretty much ruined adoption entirely.

Voice commands for setting toggles is a thing? Wow.

ItzZ0Sd.png

I'm not sure when I'll ever need it, but I like it.

Husker86

Wasn't the main problem with Google Wallet taking off that it was a Sprint exclusive or something in the US? That pretty much ruined adoption entirely.
Yeah. Somehow carriers can refuse to allow Google wallet. I think it had to do with their implementation, since I know they couldn't block Apple pay if they wanted to.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah. Somehow carriers can refuse to allow Google wallet. I think it had to do with their implementation, since I know they couldn't block Apple pay if they wanted to.

It's the same reason carriers put bloat wear on Android and not on iOS. Apple has carriers by the balls.

Furyous

Voice commands for setting toggles is a thing? Wow.

I'm not sure when I'll ever need it, but I like it.

Is there a voice command for the IR functions? Let me change channels using my voice. Matter of fact, give me voice commands for netflix.

I'll switch to Android tomorrow if they implement this feature. Maybe not tomorrow but I'm buying my second Android smartphone this year.

Husker86

It's the same reason carriers put bloat wear on Android and not on iOS. Apple has carriers by the balls.

Apple has a dedicated secure element. Google Wallet uses the SIM secure element (I think). Carriers can disallow apps in the Play Store.

Carriers, couldn't block Apple Pay even if they wanted to.

Now that I think about it, do carriers have any control over the apps available in the App store on a per device basis?

edit: I guess your thinking is technically correct. I'm sure the carriers would love to pick and choose what apps are available in the Apple App Store.

Vanillalite

Apple has a dedicated secure element. Google Wallet uses the SIM secure element (I think). Carriers can disallow apps in the Play Store.

Now that I think about it, do carriers have any control over the apps available in the App store on a per device basis?

edit: I guess your thinking is technically correct. I'm sure the carriers would love to pick and choose what apps are available in the Apple App Store.

Of course they would, but if Tim Cook says jump even Verizon and AT&T say how high.

They can't block Google Wallet anymore either, from what I understand, at least if you're on KitKat or higher

But yeah, Apple has everyone by the balls, so they can do whatever they please.

It's why Apple is such a great company for consumers.

I'm not even pretending when I say that only Apple could have saved smartphones from carriers. Steve Jobs bent AT&T over for the original iPhone and that's what opened the floodgates. It's funny to think that at the time nobody else was that desperate to let a device they had no control over on their network.

The way carriers tried to kill Google Wallet while slowly doing nothing with ISIS/Softcard but had no choice but to allow Apple Pay is only the latest example of this sort of thing.

Also I don't know if Canadian's remember but Apple is the reason we got 6gb data plans at all. They were like the shitty data plans in canada are the reason we aren't launching there and they all bent over for it lol.

Bless them.

^ Thanks for the impressions. Glad you're enjoying your Note! They're the best line of devices Samsung makes.

Ditto! Did I mention how beautiful this screen is *_*

Viewtiful, if you're having problems pressing the home button when using the Note 4 with one hand, have you tried using the side panel key? That has home, recent apps, back, and other buttons you can add which helps tremendously when you're using it one handed. You can also swipe the edges back and forth to reduce the screen to either the right or left side depending on what side you swiped.

Thanks for the tip! I just tried it. Unfortunately it forces to have at least two buttons when I only need one >_< it would be awesone if it let you put some downloaded apps on there. I found a way to get to to the home button though, just hold my phone against my stomach and push the button XD

I think it is the best phablet (and smartphone if you can deal with its size) in the market right now, even with all TW hate, it is gorgeous and maybe the only complain i have is slow acces to gallery from camera app.
Everything else is great, performance, screen, battery life, camera, spen, multitasking. No other phone offers the full package. Maybe if nexus 6 or iphone 6+ if they had some tweaks to take advantage of their huge screens could come close.

I haven't tried the other phones but the multitasking is indeed great. Usually when I buy electronics my productivity/hobby (language learning) goes down despite expectations, the Note 4 might be the exception. I'm on Anki and Duolingo throughout the day and using the SPen to highlight and save sentences :D the unfortunate thing is that SwiftKey only lets me use 3 languages at a time :c

Edit: I'm using the stock browser and the stutter is gone. Couldn't love this phone more :D

ito007

Wait. I got a moto x (2013) on Verizon right now with Google wallet installed. Are you telling me I couldn't use this in a store right now?

thenexus6

Well I just bought another nexus 5 to replace the one that broke last week. I am returning the Moto G I bought to the store tomorrow.

I went with a black Nexus 5 this time and the back material is incredibly grippy compared to the white which I had before. So nice being back on lollipop too.

Vanillalite

Well I just bought another nexus 5 to replace the one that broke last week. I am returning the Moto G I bought to the store tomorrow.

I went with a black Nexus 5 this time and the back material is incredibly grippy compared to the white which I had before. So nice being back on lollipop too.

I love that your on your second Nexus 5 with the user name thenexus6. LOL

Does Google Wallet show up in the Play Store for Verizon devices now?
Not sure about Verizon, but it does for me on at&t. I remember in the past I couldn't find it by searching the Play Store because of at&t, but it was there if I Google searched it, although incompatible with my old phone.

Edit: ^ Well there you go.

Motorola is sending out mysterious boxes to the press on February 25th. There's no idea as to what will be inside the boxes, but they said, "everything you need fits inside one box".

Motorola is going to hand-deliver us a weird mystery box on February 25th

Moto 360, 2nd gen. Yesss.

Lol, damn Blade Runner and google!

Edit: Also is a generic Qi charger worth it? I kinda feel like getting one to feel futuristic.

You can get them for few bucks on eBay (from Hong Honk, but still) and it's definitely worth it for me. I don't want a phone without Qi anymore.

Husker86

Yeah, for a while.

Not sure about Verizon, but it does for me on at&t. I remember in the past I couldn't find it by searching the Play Store because of at&t, but it was there if I Google searched it, although incompatible with my old phone.

Edit: ^ Well there you go.

Oh yeah, I remember when that was announced. At the time, though, I thought that it didn't have NFC capabilities, just wallet management.

tzare

Ditto! Did I mention how beautiful this screen is *_*

Thanks for the tip! I just tried it. Unfortunately it forces to have at least two buttons when I only need one >_< it would be awesone if it let you put some downloaded apps on there. I found a way to get to to the home button though, just hold my phone against my stomach and push the button XD

I haven't tried the other phones but the multitasking is indeed great. Usually when I buy electronics my productivity/hobby (language learning) goes down despite expectations, the Note 4 might be the exception. I'm on Anki and Duolingo throughout the day and using the SPen to highlight and save sentences :D the unfortunate thing is that SwiftKey only lets me use 3 languages at a time :c

Edit: I'm using the stock browser and the stutter is gone. Couldn't love this phone more :D

You could try this app for home button. I used to use it on my note 8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewma.swipehomebuttonfree

Oh yeah, I remember when that was announced. At the time, though, I thought that it didn't have NFC capabilities, just wallet management.

It launched with NFC support. I remember using a patched version which worked on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus to pay for something at McDonalds one time a few weeks after it was first released. The guy was like the what the hell did you just do.

Evan Blass wrote an article for Mashable. Some quotes that made me GROANN at cyanogen. Fuck them yo. Never supporting that shite.

However, not only has Cyanogen publicly railed against the platform's licensing terms, its CEO, Kirt McMaster, actually began a recent speech (at The Information's "Next Phase of Android" event) by stating that "we&#8217;re attempting to take Android away from Google." McMaster went on to say that Cyanogen was working on creating an ecosystem of software and services that would obviate the need for Google's GMS bundle, including such lofty components as its own app store, along with what would presumably be an email client, mapping software, cloud storage, an online document-editing suite, and substitutions for numerous other Google offerings that Mountain View has spent nearly two decades, and billions of dollars, developing.

PUHHHHLEASE. Also sick burn at the end here:

CyanogenMod has historically been a community-developed project, with literally thousands of contributors to its code. Some of those developers felt left out in the cold when a small cabal of top devs surreptitiously formed the venture-backed commercial entity, but declined to establish a profit-sharing arrangement for many of the major contributors whose work was integral to the platform.

To some, the leaders of the organization were living up to their self-adopted callsign: "Team Douche."

Evan Blass wrote an article for Mashable. Some quotes that made me GROANN at cyanogen. Fuck them yo. Never supporting that shite.

PUHHHHLEASE. Also sick burn at the end here:

They've always been assholes. There used to be development groups on XDA that cyanogen stole work from and then claimed as their own. Then they got the groups banned from xda. Seeing what they did to OnePlus is also very assholish. I have no doubt when Oxygen OS comes out next month it will be better than what Cyanogen does.

Oh my god, Android-GAF, please hold me. This phone goes beyond all my expectations.

What I noticed is that the battery tends to die out faster when browsing the internet particularly. I guess having to load all that content is its weak spot.

You could try this app for home button. I used to use it on my note 8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewma.swipehomebuttonfree

This sounds awesome, I'm downloading it now. Thanks!

Also I don't know if Canadian's remember but Apple is the reason we got 6gb data plans at all. They were like the shitty data plans in canada are the reason we aren't launching there and they all bent over for it lol.

Bless them.

Why didn't Apple stop the "shared data" BS >_<

What sorcery is that? Can barely break 4 on mine.
Honestly, the only correct answer is: different people with different usage patterns.

Hell, I used to be able to squeeze out insane battery life on my Nexus S with the stock battery, and on my S4 I can occasionally squeeze out 5-6 hours of SoT, though I do have 3000mAh battery in it now compared to the stock 2600mAh.

Just for fun, some old battery stat screenshots from my Nexus S:

longdi

Banned
Seems like Xperia Z4 will be sony mobile last chance shot, and what time for them to be in...

-millions have already upgraded to the successful IP6/6s
-SD810 chipset rumored to have throttling problems
-Samsung all metal S6 looking good and uses Samsung Exynos 14nm

goodnight my #sexperiaprince.

waterproof battery-life ftl :(

Seems like Xperia Z4 will be sony mobile last chance shot, and what time for them to be in...

-millions have already upgraded to the successful IP6/6s
-SD810 chipset rumored to have throttling problems
-Samsung all metal S6 looking good and uses Samsung Exynos 14nm

goodnight my #sexperiaprince.

waterproof battery-life ftl :(
I'm pretty sure the mobile business is too far gone. No way it does enough to save their mobile bidness.

Sony ran their mobile business horribly anyway. No marketing and the phones came to the US months after every other market when other companies new flagships were already coming.

Top Bottom