• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

kinggroin

Banned
I really hope the new Nexus 5 won't have a high price like Nexus 6. That thing costs as much as a Galaxy S6 but has the usual Nexus disadvantages (bad camera and battery). I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

Bad camera and bad battery? Dafuq. Average, and decent by today's standards. Good and decent by last year's.

Also, says a lot about this year's phones when people continually bring the N6 into comparisons (2014).

Fuck the galaxy S6 and fuck Android.

Saiyan-Rox

but guys

Samsung-Galaxy-Note5-and-S6-edge-official-cases.jpg

I'm sold.

And I'm gonna buy the silver one for the gold phone

Saiyan-Rox

I really hope the new Nexus 5 won't have a high price like Nexus 6. That thing costs as much as a Galaxy S6 but has the usual Nexus disadvantages (bad camera and battery). I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

What? The N6 battery is more than fine well for me it is anyway. Everyone will have different battery life due to how you use your phone but the battery is not bad.

Samsung reveals a pretty impressive lack of understanding of the difference between S series owners and Note owners. So I'll spell it out for you fuckwads.

The Note is not a big S series. No one wants a big S series. We want the things that make the Note unique. Fuck off with this shit Samsung.

I'm probably going to wait until I can get a Note 4 for crazy cheap later this year and just get that. Maybe another few quarters of the profits stumbling and the stock tanking will bring Samsung to their senses.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm probably going to wait until I can get a Note 4 for crazy cheap later this year and just get that. Maybe another few quarters of the profits stumbling and the stock tanking will bring Samsung to their senses.

I sold my Note 4 for $315 with a 64gb memory card, they're plenty cheap already.

As a dude on a Moto X 2014, but wanting to get into phablet land, I'm now more anxious to see the Huawei Nexus. Strengthen my resolve! I don't think I'll go for a Note 5, but the Moto X Style/Pure 2015 is tempting me.

I was on an HTC One M7, but it was stolen earlier and I got the Moto X 2014 to tide me over.

Jigolo

i told y'all this was a skip year.

remember that 4000mAh rumor? lol.

all thats left is the Google disappointment and Apple's tock release.
Real reason: USB-C and not having first gen 64-bit chips (Qualcomm I'm talking to you). Haha. Those are my reasons but I'm sure everyone here has their own reason to skip this year.

At this moment if things continue as they have, my scope is on just about all devices next year for different, unrealistic reasons.

M10 - if it looks like the concept render that was posted by EVleaks

S7 - if somehow it runs stock Android

Moto X 4- if it remains cheap and gets smaller

Nexus 2016 - because everyone knows Nexus devices are the best, obvy.

Oneplus 3 - hmm nah

Anyway, I'm genuinely excited for next year tho because from the looks of it QC is back to normal with its 820 (hopefully). My pipe dream is all devices that release next year use OLED heheheheheheheh.

vivftp

hey guys guess what this is

CMTXBaPW8AAwJ8n.jpg

*sigh*

Since that seems to be the Z5+, I'm guessing there is no Z Ultra showing up this year :(

I guess it's a bit bittersweet for me. I did really want a new Z Ultra, but the S810 processor would give me some doubt about getting it.

I am a bit befuddled about these rumours about the Z5+ having a 4K display. If true, it'll be interesting to see how it performs.

As a dude on a Moto X 2014, but wanting to get into phablet land, I'm now more anxious to see the Huawei Nexus. Strengthen my resolve! I don't think I'll go for a Note 5, but the Moto X Style/Pure 2015 is tempting me.

I was on an HTC One M7, but it was stolen earlier and I got the Moto X 2014 to tide me over.

get the Pure

MarkusRJR

Apparently Lenovo has started to reel Motorola into it's ranks now. They're cutting 500 jobs at Motorola and making them also work on designing Lenovo phones as well. They're also cutting 3200 employees at Lenovo (presumably most/all of the phone staff). Dat ~300 million dollar loss hit them hard.

Their press release implies they want a 6 month device cycle too, ala Sony. Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20150813/BLOGS11/150819900/motorola-mobility-to-slash-500-jobs-in-chicago
http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2014

Furyous

Apparently Lenovo has started to reel Motorola into it's ranks now. They're cutting 500 jobs at Motorola and making them also work on designing Lenovo phones as well. They're also cutting 3200 employees at Lenovo (presumably most/all of the phone staff). Dat ~300 million dollar loss hit them hard.

Their press release implies they want a 6 month device cycle too, ala Sony. Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

So the Moto X is obsolete six months after September? K, that saves me from buying the Moto X 2015. Thanks for the heads up!

Everyone laughed when I said high end android has a year left, and look at this shit. It's dead. It's over. Welcome your shitty $300 chinese slabs, you dirty unwashed heathens.

This whole thing is weird and to an extent OEMs fault. The problem with the chinese slabs is uncertainty over updates and I'm a bit leery of their longevity. As a native iphone owner, I expect flagships to last at least three years so cheaper prices but sketchy update cycles amount to a non purchase. I'd much rather pay $600+ and receive lifetime updates. Miss me with an Apple related talk of ios updates because this is an Android discussion.

What do we expect out of high-end android in 2016?

At the very least I need close to stock android, IR blaster, microsd support, at least GS6/G4 camera quality and post processing.

The race to the bottom from OEMs fucked our expectations and it got to a point where we basically expect everything for no more than $500.

*EDIT*

The s6 received a $200 price cut... fix the memory leak then get back to me Samsung.

At my store today I got to mess with a Note 5 and a Galaxy 6+

Samsung confuses me... There is pretty much no difference between the 2 phones.....

Why not make the 6+ just a Note 5.

Really pointless additions to the family honestly.

reKon

Banned

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20150813/BLOGS11/150819900/motorola-mobility-to-slash-500-jobs-in-chicago
http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2014

Damn, it would have been awkward heading home from the Merchandise Mart and seeing sad faces lol. I'd be like, I feel for you bro..

that doesn't make sense.

everyone has been negative.

Even Samsung is negative, they have announced the Note 5 won't be officially released in Europe. It's being sent out to die in other regions.

The problem is that phone design lead time is very long. When the S6 came out and flopped, Samsung already knew the Note 5 would be DOA because it followed the same design principles. They had to release it anyways because you can't just redesign a phone in a few months. They have to wait until the Note 6 to release a non-terrible Note.

At my store today I got to mess with a Note 5 and a Galaxy 6+

Samsung confuses me... There is pretty much no difference between the 2 phones.....

Why not make the 6+ just a Note 5.

Really pointless additions to the family honestly.

I guess the edge is selling well enough that they thought it was smart to do a bigger model. I tried both today as well and I personally prefer the note for the stylus.

Samsung lol

To think the company decided to announce the release those two phones at the same time just shows you how ridiculous their thought process is.

I still can't believe both phones only have 3,000mAh batteries, especially the Note 5. I wasn't expecting a decrease in capacity there.

On a more positive note, their Gear S2 is one of the best looking smartwatches I've seen.

samsung-gear-s2-1.jpg

Top Bottom