• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

they lost the plot.

that was the most believable part after the S6.

FinFET!
I guess I figured due to the size of the device(s), the battery size would not be affected negatively, even with the new design.

I think Samsung should've just stuck with the Alpha/Note 4 design. The metal band around the phones already made them feel more premium than previous Galaxies, and they still had removable backs. As for SD cards, even other phones with non removable backs have slots (Motos, Xperias). And now even Google is making expandable storage better again with M.

Jintor

Does anybody have a ASUS Memopad 7 ME572C and know how to root the blasted thing? I've been trying the XDA-Developer instructions.

Using the install-recovery method, I can flash the recovery (I think), but when I try to flash the pre-rooted Lollipop firmware from the SD card, I just end up with:

Code:
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Verifing BOM token...
E:Error in /sdcard/MOFD_SUPDATE.zip
(Statusb7)
SD Installation aborted.
E:Installation failed with status 1

I'm hearing some chatter about having to update KitKat of the same version I was using (.31? I don't know where to find or confirm this), but I have no idea how to do this, or what to do, or possibly even what it means.

First time rooting a device...

Sch1sm

Does anybody have a ASUS Memopad 7 ME572C and know how to root the blasted thing? I've been trying the XDA-Developer instructions.

Using the install-recovery method, I can flash the recovery (I think), but when I try to flash the pre-rooted Lollipop firmware from the SD card, I just end up with:

Code:
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Verifing BOM token...
E:Error in /sdcard/MOFD_SUPDATE.zip
(Statusb7)
SD Installation aborted.
E:Installation failed with status 1

I'm hearing some chatter about having to update KitKat of the same version I was using (.31? I don't know where to find or confirm this), but I have no idea how to do this, or what to do, or possibly even what it means.

First time rooting a device...

I wouldn't be surprised if that chatter correctly. You have to do similar with the LG G
I think it was 3, could have been 4
devices, iirc.

Damn man, people from India have overrun the one plus forums. Most of the invite beggars have indian user names.

What's the point of this observation, lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if that chatter correctly. You have to do similar with the LG G
I think it was 3, could have been 4
devices, iirc.

What's the point of this observation, lol.

I'm trying to read their forums right now and it's a mess lol It wasn't like this during the launch of the first one since they didn't ship to India yet.

Sch1sm

any suggestions of where to start googling?

I just tried myself, and there really doesn't seem to be much of anything else out there. I read through that XDA post, and it seems that it was originally for KK, except the links have changed to the L ones. So, even if you rolled back that method would be obsolete.

I've done a fair amount of reading here (mainly into old roots), and the question of the microSD's format comes to question. FAT or FAT32, and it in fact may be precisely why the downgrade process isn't working on your device and resulting in a failed root. Have a look into that. When in doubt, just give it a day and then try again. Could easily be human error, too.

I'll try looking some more tomorrow. If anything comes up, I'll be sure to share.

E: also, the .31 has to do with firmware. If you go back to 30 and KK, it's an easy install up because that root holds between the two versions (unlike going up to 30, which unroots). Have a look here.

Jintor

I just tried myself, and there really doesn't seem to be much of anything else out there. I read through that XDA post, and it seems that it was originally for KK, except the links have changed to the L ones. So, even if you rolled back that method would be obsolete.

I've done a fair amount of reading here (mainly into old roots), and the question of the microSD's format comes to question. FAT or FAT32, and it in fact may be precisely why the downgrade process isn't working on your device and resulting in a failed root. Have a look into that. When in doubt, just give it a day and then try again. Could easily be human error, too.

I'll try looking some more tomorrow. If anything comes up, I'll be sure to share.

E: also, the .31 has to do with firmware. If you go back to 30 and KK, it's an easy install up because that root holds between the two versions (unlike going up to 30, which unroots). Have a look here.

I am on KK .31, just bought it from a store a few days ago... can't comprehend anything that's really going on, I just want to get rid of all this goddamn bloatware. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

ArchAngel

The LG Nexus 5 (2015):
CMXA4_nWsAArKL2.jpg

https://youtu.be/X6AvenXqqzs

https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/632123409158180864

That could be a phone, yes. The fingerprint reader on the back is still stupid and disappointing. I really hope Google has color options from the start. It would look very boring otherwise.

Reckoner

Is that soft touch build and ceramic button goodness?

Still, that fingerprint reader on the back is just too dumb. At least disguise it as a logo dimple like Moto's.

Mindwipe

I'm never going to fathom why Android OEMs think it's a good idea to put a sensor that you need to hit fairly accurately on the surface you can't see in general use.

Hasney

I only see it as a good idea if those dimensions weren't true. If they have a big ass bezel and don't put the sensor there, then fuck it.

If the bezel is nice and thing, then I'm glad they put it round the back.

Volotaire

I don't like the protruding camera or the double fingerprint scanner/lens circle combo on the back, but if it looks that plain on the front and sides, I'm still interested. Price, camera, battery and benchmarks are left.

Reckoner

I don't like the protruding camera or the double fingerprint scanner/lens circle combo on the back, but if it looks that plain on the front and sides, I'm still interested. Price, camera, battery and benchmarks are left.

This is a new era, after the Antenna lines one began, we are now under the Protruding Camera Age. Let's wait until Apple gets rid of the Antenna lines next year, then we can start worrying about the camera.

What's coming after that?

Hasney

People on XDA are claiming to have sideloaded Google Play store on Windows Mobile 10. I know we had APK news earlier, but this is even better. Sweet deal.

Ty4on

I don't like the flat sides. Curving them just a little makes the phone so much easier to hold. It also somehow looks even blander than the Nexus 5.

Quasar

I'm never going to fathom why Android OEMs think it's a good idea to put a sensor that you need to hit fairly accurately on the surface you can't see in general use.

I assume the think when you hold it you have one of your fingers touching where they put their sensor. I think its a crappy idea myself, though not as bad as the edge placed sensor which I thought someone was doing.

kami_sama

I assume the think when you hold it you have one of your fingers touching where they put their sensor. I think its a crappy idea myself, though not as bad as the edge placed sensor which I thought someone was doing.
It was Sony. I think the placement is great having accustomed myself to the Motorola Dimple. My index finger goes straight for the back of the phone.

Mindwipe

Nah, on Sony phones it'll work - you already have to have your finger on that point to turn the screen on, as it's also the power button. Until those screen fingerprint scanners are in mass production that's by far the best place IMO.

giga

All of these are stopgap implementations until it's finally implemented in the display. Can't say I'm a fan of the back placement, as you'll now have to have a cutout on cases there.

Hasney

You could always take a small photo of your fingerprint, stick it to your table and pull it over it when you want to unlock.

Top Bottom