• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

reKon

Banned
It's almost like people don't care about what HTC's been doing.

e: Uhhh. Someone's butthurt.

o8Lp6WJ.png

He should sue OnLeaks for damaging his precious brand.

..guess that answers my question from earlier lol

Furyous

Apple really runs the direction of this industry. The 6 is a mediocre design but other companies still copy the heck out of it. If Apple designed a poop hat for a phone, everyone would follow suit.

Based Apple.

If Apple ran the direction of the industry then Android OEMs release 4.7 inch AND 5.5 inch devices. However, that is not the case as OEMs only care about people that love 5.5 inch+ devices.

*looks wistfully at iphone 5*

While the Moto 360 leak is super disappointing, I'm still happy that Motorola continues to producing a smartwatch that looks like a actual watch, unlike every other smartwatch out there.

LG is moving closer, but is still too much in toy land. Hopefully next year will bring more traditiona watch looking products.

Toki767

While the Moto 360 leak is super disappointing, I'm still happy that Motorola continues to producing a smartwatch that looks like a actual watch, unlike every other smartwatch out there.

LG is moving closer, but is still too much in toy land. Hopefully next year will bring more traditiona watch looking products.

The G Watch R and Urbane look like watches to me.

The G Watch R and Urbane look like watches to me.

I've only used the G Watch R, but to me it felt like a toy watch you would get a 12 year old. It didn't feel like a timeless piece you could wear with a normal suit or everyday work cloth.

It's bulky, filled with plastic and was just not nice to use.

The Urbane looks like a cheap knockoff watch you would get at a supermarket, but it's getting close to something respectable.

Ty4on

That's my issue with most smartwatches. When the screen lights up they look like cheap toys.
androidpit-lg-watch-urbane-07.jpeg

The 360 has the advantage of not trying so hard to look like a watch, but is far from perfect.

Toki767

That's my issue with most smartwatches. When the screen lights up they look like cheap toys.
androidpit-lg-watch-urbane-07.jpeg

The 360 has the advantage of not trying so hard to look like a watch, but is far from perfect.

To be fair, those images in particular are to show off how bright the LED can get for outdoors. They aren't normally anything close to that bright in real life unless you make it that way.

At the end of the day though, watches are all subjective. People like different styles. Which is why it's kind of weird that there isn't some sort of Moto Maker type thing for watchers where you can pick the type of casing and stuff you want.

Ty4on

To be fair, those images in particular are to show off how bright the LED can get for outdoors. They aren't normally anything close to that bright in real life unless you make it that way.

At the end of the day though, watches are all subjective. People like different styles. Which is why it's kind of weird that there isn't some sort of Moto Maker type thing for watchers where you can pick the type of casing and stuff you want.

The watch faces aren't helping it, but find a real life picture where it looks good.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I loved my OG Note but the screen ratio made it harder to hold than a Nexus 6.

Noema

What is the best budget t-mobile smart phone right now (looking at $100-$200 no contracts)

the two I am currently looking at are Motorola Moto G (3rd generation) - Global GSM - Unlocked - 8 GB Black

and ASUS ZenFone 2 Cellphone, 16GB, Silver (Unlocked )

stuff like 3/4g don't matter at all as I won't use them (I think my wife's plan gets her unlimited 2g though :p) I also don't need a lot of storage as she will likely only have 3-5 games on the phone (terra battle, Dragon Blaze and attack the light currently). the main thing that is important that it works as a phone. she is currently using a T-Mobile Sparq Prepaid Phone as her phone and it likes to go into emergency mode from time to time as well as not always get calls or texts even when it says she has full signal so I am hoping that upgrading her phone will help with that. Aiming for a decent phone to maybe try to make one of my tablets more redundant.

I'd prefer to get a phone this week instead of waiting as I am tired of her not getting my messages (plus a 13mp camera would be great for the con I am about to go to as my non phone camera is only like 6mp :p)

The ZenFone 2 is the better device, pound for pound. Beats the Moto G in every category except battery life and maybe camera. That doesn't mean it's the better device for you since there are other things to consider.

The ZenFone 2 has a faster CPU, and GPU, larger screen with higher overall resolution and PPI. It also has capacitive buttons in case that's important to you.

The ZenFone 2 is also an ugly, plasticky, cheap looking device that runs a heavily skinned version of Android, and also includes several bloatware apps that can't be uninstalled (but can be disabled at least).

The Moto G is a better looking device (IMO), and it basically runs stock Android with a few added Moto Apps (Camera, Moto Assist, etc).

Also keep in mind that the 8GB version of the Moto G only has 1GB of RAM and I'd greatly advice against getting that model. Get the 2GB model at all costs (which comes with 16GB of storage).

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You say 'continues to', but I think only the new one actually looks like a traditional watch. Adding the lugs makes a huge difference. The original 360 just looked weird with the way the thick face sat there, with the strap coming out from under it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man after playing with my moms 6 plus... I'm a little worried about the size of the Moto X Pure. Too big meng

Yeah,lovely for mthere browsing and almost enough to not need an iPad. But borderline too large to actually carry in my pocket as a phone. I think 5.2" is my sweet spot. 4.7" feels too small now, but 5.5-5.7" is too big

Alchemy

The ZenFone 2 is also an ugly, plasticky, cheap looking device that runs a heavily skinned version of Android, and also includes several bloatware apps that can't be uninstalled (but can be disabled at least).

This shit is why I have such a hard time going back to Android. Skins and bloatware are awful and basically leave me with only the Moto and Nexus phones to pick from. The Moto X Style is really interesting but I'm super worried about the battery because of the screen and notification set up Motorola phones use now.

kami_sama

This shit is why I have such a hard time going back to Android. Skins and bloatware are awful and basically leave me with only the Moto and Nexus phones to pick from. The Moto X Style is really interesting but I'm super worried about the battery because of the screen and notification set up Motorola phones use now.

The new Moto G also has Active display, and it doesn't affect much to the battery life. Also, probably it has a hidden led that can be activated using root, like the 2nd and 3rd gen Moto G.
Looks pretty good to me here.
sWrvybF.png

That might have convinced me to get a smartwatch. Which model is it?

Pachimari

I've only used the G Watch R, but to me it felt like a toy watch you would get a 12 year old. It didn't feel like a timeless piece you could wear with a normal suit or everyday work cloth.

It's bulky, filled with plastic and was just not nice to use.

The Urbane looks like a cheap knockoff watch you would get at a supermarket, but it's getting close to something respectable.
The Moto360 doesn't look like a real watch at all. I would love to see what kind of watches you have been wearing. The Urbane and G Watch R are much closer based on what I have tried with them.

The Moto360 doesn't look like a real watch at all. I would love to see what kind of watches you have been wearing. The Urbane and G Watch R are much closer based on what I have tried with them.

The Moto360 looks really close to my Braun watch, but I agree it's not a traditional watch design.

The R felt like a plastic toy, but the Urbane is closer to something that looks like an actual watch. Hopefully the technology will allow for more flexibility on design in the future. Making it smaller and slimmer would go a long way.

You say 'continues to', but I think only the new one actually looks like a traditional watch. Adding the lugs makes a huge difference. The original 360 just looked weird with the way the thick face sat there, with the strap coming out from under it.

It's very subjective, but it's a design I like a lot. Resembles the Braun line of watches:

326.jpg

But that is not a traditional design by any means. But it's closer to what I would call a normal watch then what the R looks like.

Toki767

The R felt like a plastic toy, but the Urbane is closer to something that looks like an actual watch. Hopefully the technology will allow for more flexibility on design in the future. Making it smaller and slimmer would go a long way.

But that is not a traditional design by any means. But it's closer to what I would call a normal watch then what the R looks like.
What.
_S_1339062865717.jpg

I don't know if you noticed, but watches come in a bunch of designs. The G Watch R doesn't look any less like a watch than the 360.

What.
_S_1339062865717.jpg

I don't know if you noticed, but watches come in a bunch of designs. The G Watch R doesn't look any less like a watch than the 360.

The R, to me at least, looks like a toy compared to my other two watches:

ufcqYN7.jpg

Ss8vXAD.jpg

It's of course very subjective, I'm just not a fan of the G-Shock like design of the LG watches. It reminds me too much of a toy, and not a actual watch you would wear with a suit. It's massive compared to every other watch I've seen, except for the "I'm a CEO and bought this watch there's around the size of a small house".

Again, it's very subjective what is a good looking watch/smartwatch. I'm just not a fan of the design LG is going for these days.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This shit is why I have such a hard time going back to Android. Skins and bloatware are awful and basically leave me with only the Moto and Nexus phones to pick from.
Yep. You have so much more choice with iOS.

Pachimari

The R, to me at least, looks like a toy compared to my other two watches:

It's of course very subjective, I'm just not a fan of the G-Shock like design of the LG watches. It reminds me too much of a toy, and not a actual watch you would wear with a suit. It's massive compared to every other watch I've seen, except for the "I'm a CEO and bought this watch there's around the size of a small house".

Again, it's very subjective what is a good looking watch/smartwatch. I'm just not a fan of the design LG is going for these days.
I personally don't like the Braun designs and isn't how the watches looked like in my family. But I can see where you are coming from, because if you have been wearing the Braun's all life, then the LG line will look and feel like a toy. And as you say, it's super subjective.

Noema

How do you think they get away for selling it for 299.

That, and the fact that Intel is probably giving ASUS those Atoms pretty much for free.

To be fair to the ZenFone 2 it's easily the best value for the buck when it comes to smartphones. Warts and all. Hell, even the $200 model has 802.11ac which can be a godsend if you live in an apartment complex.

vivftp

Don't know much about the original poster, but I found this interesting:

CMdi0r_ZWc_AAZq_Or.jpg

"COOL or cooled with cold water...??? Maybe both...COMING SOON"

https://mobile.twitter.com/ricciolo1

So... Ravings of a lunatic? Or a joke about how hot the upcoming Z5 series will get? Or is he implying Sony will employ watercooling in their phones?

Edit.
Here is a link someone on another forum I visit found that shows an example of watercooled cell phone tech
http://gizmodo.com/liquid-cooling-for-seriously-overkill-smartphones-1691670989

That, and the fact that Intel is probably giving ASUS those Atoms pretty much for free.

To be fair to the ZenFone 2 it's easily the best value for the buck when it comes to smartphones. Warts and all. Hell, even the $200 model has 802.11ac which can be a godsend if you live in an apartment complex.

I'm gonna assume the apps make the phone more janky? Otherwise if you can disable them I don't really see the issue.

Top Bottom