• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

well then blurry cam, do more

CMkym0QWEAIsCsJ.jpg

That camera bulge annoys the hell out of me. It would have really killed them to make the phone 2mm thicker?

SimleuqiR

I was all for the fingerpring reader on the back, now I'm not sure. Feels like you're giving your phone a reach around, sliding your finger over the rim before getting it right on the centre and teasing it.

Now you are just turning me on...stop it.

I think I will probably get it in black.

Reckoner

I hope they release some covers covering the fingerprint sensor on the back. That's how ugly it is.

Btw, how bad is Motorola suffering right now guys?

Ty4on

That camera bulge annoys the hell out of me. It would have really killed them to make the phone 2mm thicker?

It would be filled with nothing. Before you ask, no you can't make a 2mm thick battery so you can't just "fill it with battery".
A flat back is also not ideal as it makes the back very susceptible to scratches.

Mindwipe

It would be filled with nothing. Before you ask, no you can't make a 2mm thick battery so you can't just "fill it with battery".
A flat back is also not ideal as it makes the back very susceptible to scratches.

You can't make a 2mm thick battery, but you can take the existing battery which is 3 - 4mm and make it a 5 - 6mm thick one,and arrange the components to take up more space depth wise.

So yes, it absolutely reduces potential battery life.

Flat back is better for scratches, as the thing you don't want scratched is the lens, and scratching is more likely over a small surface contact area than a bigger one.

Has anything also been said about a UK release for the Moto X Style?
I hope it's soon because I don't think my phone will be able to last that long!

If it's not out for another few months what other phones are around that same price (£350ish) and supposed to be good that are released now/next few weeks? (apart from OnePlus Two because I'd never get an invite before my phone completely breaks)

I think the new N5 looks fine. The only Nexus phone that was a looker was the N4, so I don't really expect them to be super-sleek phones. I'll like it better in black. I pretty much always hate white phones.

Really itching to get it. My current Nexus 5 is feeling really long in the tooth. The battery life has never been spectacular, obviously, but it's complete garbage at this point.

SimleuqiR

I think the new N5 looks fine. The only Nexus phone that was a looker was the N4, so I don't really expect them to be super-sleek phones. I'll like it better in black. I pretty much always hate white phones.

Really itching to get it. My current Nexus 5 is feeling really long in the tooth. The battery life has never been spectacular, obviously, but it's complete garbage at this point.

If this is real, and not a hoax, the design will look nice in black too:

3Za0Yat.png

Hopefully it retains the same back texture as the N5 (2013)

Jubern

It's definitely a shitty phone.

If you say so, I believe you, but I'm looking for a more, uh, technical explanation.
Even shitty phones usually handle Wi-fi properly :/

And actually, it worked fine for the first few months then started to get problems with Wifi for no apparent reason...
Is there any good app I can use on a non-rooted phone for a hardware diagnosis?

Husker86

If you say so, I believe you, but I'm looking for a more, uh, technical explanation.
Even shitty phones usually handle Wi-fi properly :/

And actually, it worked fine for the first few months then started to get problems with Wifi for no apparent reason...
Is there any good app I can use on a non-rooted phone for a hardware diagnosis?
Have you tried a factory reset? Sounds like a software problem since you said it says it's still connected when it stops working, and a toggle fixes it.

Quixzlizx

I don't really care how pretty or ugly the Nexus 5 looks since I'll be putting it in a case. I'm just glad it has NFC, USB Type-C, and a fingerprint reader, since apparently it's an almost impossible task for an Android phone to include all three.

Just gotta hope for the decent battery now.

The M statue has arrived!

Unveiling should be this week, and we should get more M news along with it.

It looks Milkshake-shaped.

Sweet looks like this release is coming out sooner in the year than previous Android versions. I'm not getting a milkshake vibe from the shape though. Looks like it could be anything. I like Marshmallow better.

So how is Moto X Pure supposed to work? It's not being sold by carriers at all? You pay $400 and you like it or else because no carrier will have it on subsidy?

I wonder how Verizon will respond to this device since they whitelist all devices allowed on their network and they only whitelist devices they sell.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So how is Moto X Pure supposed to work? It's not being sold by carriers at all? You pay $400 and you like it or else because no carrier will have it on subsidy?

I wonder how Verizon will respond to this device since they whitelist all devices allowed on their network and they only whitelist devices they sell.

Like the previous phones where they take 3-6 months to whitelist your individual device.

Wreav

Banned
Android is a lot like marshmallows, seems like a good idea at first, but the more you tinker with it, the more of a hot mess you have on your hands.

Ty4on

You can't make a 2mm thick battery, but you can take the existing battery which is 3 - 4mm and make it a 5 - 6mm thick one,and arrange the components to take up more space depth wise.

So yes, it absolutely reduces potential battery life.

Flat back is better for scratches, as the thing you don't want scratched is the lens, and scratching is more likely over a small surface contact area than a bigger one.

The first would require a complete restructuring of the internals and they're pretty well optimized to begin with. Sure it could be bigger, but the phone would be quite a lot thicker.

The second isn't true. With the bump everything except the bottom of the bump and the bottom of the phone isn't touching the anything. Including the camera (note the bottom of the bump is just plastic). That's why the Nexus 4 got those nubs. They could also be using stronger glass for the camera like Apple.

Top Bottom