• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Front facing speakers are so overrated -_-
I disagree. But I don't think the bezels are huge because of the speakers. I swear I've seen some Chinese phones or something with front facing speakers and smaller bezels. Even some of Sony's more recent phones have speakers with smaller bezels, I believe.

Edit: I want front facing speakers because I don't always like using headphones when watching videos and listening to music on my phone. Plus, since most phones have the speaker on the back, my hand tends to cover or partially cover the speaker.

Wreav

Banned
The reason people tend to stan for front speakers is because they have a shitty phone like the N6 or M9, and they're holding onto the one feature that doesn't totally suck.

The reason people tend to stan for front speakers is because they have a shitty phone like the N6 or M9, and they're holding onto the one feature that doesn't totally suck.

and where does that leave people with phones like the m7, z3, moto x, etc

but they're barely louder than rear facing speakers.

where/s that link thar had measurements and the Note 4 was right below the M8.

a $15 BT speaker outperforms them.

a $15 BT speaker is something you're stuck carrying around, charging, draining extra battery by having BT on, etc

NotBacon

k

Instead of living in this thread to be a professional jimmy-rustler, why don't you get out more?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't wait for my Nexus 6-2. Then I can send in my N6 for warranty work. I think the camera is screwed.

"I think the camera is screwed", said every Nexus owner ever.

The camera hardware gets better all the time but it's the same shitty stock Android camera app. Let's just be honest here, Google just doesn't care and they never have. The sensor in the Nexus 6 is pretty damn decent, it's a Sony Exmor sensor that Samsung and Apple have both used so it's not the sensor that's the problem. The real reason Samsung and Apple get such amazing results out of their phone cameras is their software. A good digital camera is both hardware and software working together in equal measure to produce a nice image. There's a lot of post-processing magic going on which no one knows about until it's clearly not there, see Google Nexus and HTC One camera results for further information.

If you want a decent phone camera, don't buy a Nexus. It hardly matters since a Nexus doesn't even have enough internal storage to actually store a bunch of pictures and videos you might shoot with a decent phone camera anyways.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
No, that's just the Nexus 6.

Really? It never focuses close up like my Nexus 5 did. It also overheats, freezes, and crashes after a few shots. The camera app regularly crashes, too. HDR photos take some time to process. Take three HDR photos, you cannot take any more pictures.

These issues are standard?

If you want a decent phone camera, don't buy a Nexus. It hardly matters since a Nexus doesn't even have enough internal storage to actually store a bunch of pictures and videos you might shoot with a decent phone camera anyways.

I think my N6 takes pretty good pictures. And I have a 64 GB model so it's all good. It's just that the experience is poor but I thought it was due to a hardware defect.

My Galaxy S3 screen has pretty much shattered, so I'm looking to upgrade.
I've narrowed it down to the Xperia Z3 or the LG G4, what's the general thoughts on them?

Well, one has good battery life while the other has good camera. If price is within the same ballpark, I’ll go with the latter as it has better screen and also replaceable battery. But that’s just me.

Hasney

Really? It never focuses close up like my Nexus 5 did. It also overheats, freezes, and crashes after a few shots. The camera app regularly crashes, too. HDR photos take some time to process. Take three HDR photos, you cannot take any more pictures.

I think the focus is standard. I don't get any of the other issues, so maybe not. I've used the camera like 8 times at most mind you.

what;s so surprising? FinFET

Yup. The loss of mAh isn’t that big of a deal like some make it out to be coz’ of that power efficiency, though a slightly larger one like in the Active’s wouldn’t go amiss. It’s the loss of swappability that I find hard to accept, because it (along with s-pen) are two of the most important features that I love about the Note series. Loss of expendable storage, though regrettable is something I can still cope with, if there’s 128 availability somewhere down the line. Besides, I’ve got plenty of those tiny usb otg thingys which are not too cumbersome compared to power banks and dangly bits. I want something that’s light with zero downtime when I’m travelling goddamnit.

I’m really surprised that Samsung has chosen to alienate the userbase that values substance and functionality over form. What I don’t get is, they’re already making gazillion different models, so why not offer 2 versions of Note? One that caters to the superficial crowd and the other being the classic version with all the goodies that power users have come to rely on. They must be really stupid or there’s something in their data that’s really tellin’ we don’t know about. Right now I’m having a tough time deciding which is more important. Replaceable battery or s-pen? If I want replaceable batt, LG seems to be the only hope. On the other hand, I find s-pen so useful for my personal usage that I find it hard to go back to one without. Fucking decisions.

thuway

The Note line was synonymous for best in class performance, battery, camera, and screen.

I'm baffled Samsung would LOWER the mah on the battery (despite performing better than its predecessor). Samsung fans have always rallied around the best in class parts, and Samsung is falling prey to the reviewers. Reviewers kept bitching about "Metal", and here we are. A metal Note 5 took away the replaceable battery, microSD slot, and somewhere along the lines gave it a smaller battery.

IT DOESN'T matter if the battery in Note 5 is better than Note 4, it should be so blisteringly good that it makes other phones obselete. Samsung doesn't get that.

Bboy AJ

It doesn't matter. People will buy it or not buy it anyway. You guys can complain but it'll sell the same regardless.

It doesn't matter. People will buy it or not buy it anyway. You guys can complain but it'll sell the same regardless.

Judging from the reception the S6 has received, it's going to sell worse than the previous model.

Samsung started literally copying the iPhone with the S6, something they took great pains to avoid before. The result is an ass kicking because who the hell is going to buy a Samsung if they are in the market for an iPhone? Samsung completely lost the plot, they were selling Galaxy on the premise that it is the anti-iPhone, it has stuff the iPhone can't even dream of. Now there's no point in buying Samsung now because it's an iPhone only not as good. And sales numbers are tanking, imagine that.

Milpool

I think my N6 takes pretty good pictures. And I have a 64 GB model so it's all good. It's just that the experience is poor but I thought it was due to a hardware defect.

Have you tried any other camera apps? When I had an N6 I remember the default camera app started acting weird after I flashed M. I used manual camera back on 5.x.x and it was awesome, plus you can manually focus at the closest distance. Then googy broke all the manual camera apps with an update... Including exposure comp on it's own camera app.

Hasney

That's not going to happen when it doesn't even launch in Europe.

Marshmallow boot animation:

duKoxHn.gif

Bboy AJ

Judging from the reception the S6 has received, it's going to sell worse than the previous model.

Samsung started literally copying the iPhone with the S6, something they took great pains to avoid before. The result is an ass kicking because who the hell is going to buy a Samsung if they are in the market for an iPhone? Samsung completely lost the plot, they were selling Galaxy on the premise that it is the anti-iPhone, it has stuff the iPhone can't even dream of. Now there's no point in buying Samsung now because it's an iPhone only not as good. And sales numbers are tanking, imagine that.
It tanked because Apple built a phone with a big screen. Android is done. No one buys a phone because it has an sd card slot, removable battery, etc. Well, the genpop.

kami_sama

Can't see the dark theme.

Also, Messenger refuses to send SMS messages. Had to slum it in Hangouts.

To get the dark theme yo have to touch the setting icon in the quicksettings panel until it spins. You unlock a new menu with UI tweaks, demo mode, dark heme, etc.

Hasney

To get the dark theme yo have to touch the setting icon in the quicksettings panel until it spins. You unlock a new menu with UI tweaks, demo mode, dark heme, etc.

I already had that since it's SystemUi tuner, but none of the options I add actually show up in the quick settings.

Looking at that crazy iPhone 6 deal at T-Mobile...if I keep the 6s for 18 months its basically gonna be cheaper than buying a Moto X Pure now...

:( maybe next time guys

Hasney

If you're on Preview 2 and want to keep your data, wait on the OTA. Dirty flash is what killed SMS it seems and although it sends in Hangouts, they vanish straight away.

Hasney

Marketing fluff and misdirection aside, this Snapdragon 810 looks and behaves quite similarly to all of the other 810-based phones we've come across this year that weren't pre-production, with two curious differences.

It became clear early on in Snapdragon 810 testing that, due to heat management, there were few situations where all eight cores were actually running at the same time. When an 810-powered phone starts doing something complicated, two of the high-power cores would shut down, and the phone would essentially run like a Snapdragon 808. Instead of picking two cores and making those two cores the default off, OnePlus alternates every few minutes between the four most capable cores in the chip, supposedly to better balance the heat. As a result, there were no situations during our testing where all eight cores were running to complete any task. This included browsing, camera, games and even basic navigation.

Whatever justification OnePlus uses for this behavior, the results are clear. At no point during this review did the phone ever feel sluggish or stuttery, even under load. Like all phones it gets warm under heavy use, but never enough to be uncomfortable to hold. Heat radiates from the top of the phone down, so if you're holding the phone vertically you're unlikely to even notice it get warm. During gameplay, you'll notice your left hand getting warmer faster. Animations are smooth, games loaded quickly, and the browser rendered everything just as fast as you'd expect from this hardware. Like every other Snapdragon 810 phone we've come across, with one early exception, the software shines even though this processor isn't a massive upgrade over its predecessor.

Sounds like they did a good job with a shitty processor. Runs like an 808 but flicks around to keep the heat down, but using the 810 gets you the better GPU. Fair play to them.

Top Bottom