• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Maiar_m

Is it? I thought it was supposed to be good?

What is the best Android tablet?
None. It's all compromises. I love my Z3 tablet but it's too small for many. The Nvidia Shield Tablet is also well regarded but small too (and I found mine sluggish and buggy). The N9 is a huge disappointment, but the alternative at comparable screen sizes aren't thrilling either...

From my experience I've learnt that Sony will now always be my go to choice if nexus fails its mission. Check their tablet range and see if that suits you.

ThisOne

Are any Sony phones available in the USA? All I can find is the refurbished Z1 on T-Mobile's website and the Xperia T3 (?) on Sony's website.

Furyous

I've owned more Android devices than 90% of this thread, son.

^^^ I'm here for the stunting. No shots AT ALL Wreav but this stunting is so epic it needs kudos. Have you owned the Z3+, Z4, or S6?

Anyone with an S6 want to give us impressions of using their smartphone as a credit/debit card? This is the only smartphone that nails a good chunk of my Kameelah ass list for smartphones. How does the S6 work as an IR blaster?
How's the audio processor?
How's the vibration motor?
How easy is it to get rid of bloatware?

^^^ I'm here for the stunting. No shots AT ALL Wreav but this stunting is so epic it needs kudos. Have you owned the Z3+, Z4, or S6?

Anyone with an S6 want to give us impressions of using their smartphone as a credit/debit card? This is the only smartphone that nails a good chunk of my Kameelah ass list for smartphones. How does the S6 work as an IR blaster?
How's the audio processor?
How's the vibration motor?
How easy is it to get rid of bloatware?

Samsung Pay launches in like 6 weeks.
IR blaster works fine.
audio is fine.
vibration is good.
what bloat? you mean the useful suite of Samsung and Microsoft apps?

Wreav

Banned
Of course I've had the S6, posted a bunch about it. Terrible device. All of its good points ruined by the 2nd worst battery I've ever had (Moto X 2014 was first) and a RAM bug that Samsung now claims is a feature. If you want what the S6 offers, get the Note 5 for that bigger battery that *apparently* outlasts the Note 4's great battery. You'll still get a RAM bug though.

I'm on Verizon, so no Sony phone yet, because lol Z3v.

I own an iPhone, iPad, and a Mac Mini for work and I'm not a fan of iOS/OSX. Doesn't mean anything.

Not sure what your point is. It's possible to enjoy different aspects of two different ecosystems, and think one is superior at any given point.

Today, iOS is dominating for many, many reasons.

Ty4on

Nexus 7 2013.

Seriously.

It's such a depressing market. I recommended the G Pad 8.3 to my parents some time ago because it was cheap. A similarly priced tablet now requires a downgrade from 1920x1200 to something like 1280x800 and from near flagship to low end SoC.

None. It's all compromises. I love my Z3 tablet but it's too small for many. The Nvidia Shield Tablet is also well regarded but small too (and I found mine sluggish and buggy). The N9 is a huge disappointment, but the alternative at comparable screen sizes aren't thrilling either...

From my experience I've learnt that Sony will now always be my go to choice if nexus fails its mission. Check their tablet range and see if that suits you.

Nexus 7 2013.

Seriously.

Sheesh. Didn't know it was that bad.

Quixzlizx

I actually need a new router. The wireless access point in my bedroom just crapped out, and my phone/Vita/3DS barely gets a signal from my old-ass Linksys WRT4GL two rooms over. Will one of the newer ac routers have significantly better range?

Quasar

Don't even bother with Android tablets. Like how does Google even let the *iPad* come out with true multitasking before Android does it?

As a air2 owner I'm not even sure what I'd want it for. Just like the split screen mode that I tried. Ipads are barely big enough for me to be happy without the addition of a limited split screen mode.

Wreav

Banned
Welcome to the 1% :p
--------------------------------------------------

The Moto X play launches in Canada Friday, comes with US LTE, if anyone is inclined: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Moto...this-Friday-in-Canada-US-LTE-on-board_id72825

No band 13. Still holding out hope for it to be a new Droid base.

As a air2 owner I'm not even sure what I'd want it for. Just like the split screen mode that I tried. Ipads are barely big enough for me to be happy without the addition of a limited split screen mode.
The other day I had to type up an email while quoting parts from a website. Split screen was super handy.

Quasar

I know it's probably a stupid thought, but the thought of a router with full Google software on it doesn't sit well with me at all.

At least it looks nicer than Apple's AirPort Extreme.

Am curious. Mostly just about what features its missing and how limited configuration is to make it simpler.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
No band 13. Still holding out hope for it to be a new Droid base.

The other day I had to type up an email while quoting parts from a website. Split screen was super handy.

I should have clarified, GSM LTE, just in case the unwashed think they had a chance

EmiPrime

It's such a depressing market. I recommended the G Pad 8.3 to my parents some time ago because it was cheap. A similarly priced tablet now requires a downgrade from 1920x1200 to something like 1280x800 and from near flagship to low end SoC.

Yeah I love my Nexus 7 but if it broke I would just get another one or an iPad Mini 4 if I was flush.

Android M is a lot better than iOS9 on phones but on tablets it's another story altogether.

Jigolo

I don't have that kind of money.

T-Mobile G2 --> Galaxy Nexus --> Nexus 5

HP Touchpad --> Nexus 10

Been happy with all my devices

To add to the discussion further up, I shit on Android all the time but it really comes from a place of love. I think it could be so much better and I wish it was in some aspects and it bugs me when it's not.

iOS is what it is and I like it a lot as well. I think I still prefer Android over it OVERALL but I got mad love for iOS doin it's thang pretty effortlessly despite a bump or two along the way which isn't much considering they changed a ton of things since iOS7.

The Surface 3 reviewed well, heck I'm getting one.
Unless you like using Office I just can't see the use for it. The Windows app-store still isn't that great of an experience and a tablet without a ton of quality games and apps just doesn't seem like a very compelling experience. You have the ability to use programs instead, but I can't think of anything I'd want to use on such a small display besides gaming and the device isn't really a capable gaming machine.

Unless you like using Office I just can't see the use for it. The Windows app-store still isn't that great of an experience and a tablet without a ton of quality games and apps just doesn't seem like a very compelling experience. You have the ability to use programs instead, but I can't think of anything I'd want to use on such a small display besides gaming and the device isn't really a capable gaming machine.

I'm using it for progamming mainly, but also word processing and some other things for school on the fly.

I'm talking running two apps at once natively and not some jank ass Samsung implementation that works for some apps and not for others.
That still doesn't change the fact that it's existed on Android for years, even if it's only from Samsung and a few other OEMs and not Android proper. And it's not even close to janky. It's some of the best software Samsung (and others) have added on their own.

Sell it. No NFC + fake type c + bugs + whatever else is probably wrong with it makes it not worth keeping as your nex shit.

But bruh. It has like cool back covers and shit.

Someone would probably pay $500-$600 eh? If I sell my OPO I could probably get about $250 for that if I decide to keep it. Moto X will be a disappointment too. Any rumors what processor the Huawei nexus will use?

Someone would probably pay $500-$600 eh? If I sell my OPO I could probably get about $250 for that if I decide to keep it. Moto X will be a disappointment too. Any rumors what processor the Huawei nexus will use?
There was some rumor from a dubious source saying it could have a kirin 950.

Either way. One of the nexus phones will definitely be better. Make that profit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Smh at scalping.

My Zenpad is shipping today, I think. Mmm, 4GB of ram. Based.

There was some rumor from a dubious source saying it could have a kirin 950.

Either way. One of the nexus phones will definitely be better. Make that profit.

What's up with the kirin processor? Haven't heard of that one before. Support would probably be crappy in apps. I guess it would probably use a 810 or 808. Maybe they could copy OnePlus and fix the 810 since the gpu is much better.

Also nothing wrong with scalping AJ. It's supply and demand, something that goes on in pretty much every economy ever. Looked at apartment prices lately?

I'm talking running two apps at once natively and not some jank ass Samsung implementation that works for some apps and not for others.
it works for just about every app i ever tried.

Samsung has a whitelist for a specific set of popular apps and lets developers manually opt in via a declaration in their manifest because, hey, ya never know, but with root you can truly see just how well it works and has for years.

but hey, Google didn't recode it yet so it;s just OEM bloatware lol. maybe someday Android will get amazing cameras and battery life too!

Top Bottom