• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Artechnica: OnePlus 2 Review—OnePlus cuts the wrong corners to stand out on a budget

Never settle.

Bad

Fingerprint unlock is awkward with a capacitive home button. Capacitive buttons can't wake the device, so you can't wake and authenticate in one action the way you can on an iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6.

No NFC means no Android Pay. Will Google's new tap-and-pay solution be good? You won't know if you buy a OnePlus 2.

No quick charging or wireless charging. Enjoy your three hour charge time.

OnePlus' established history of six-month-long update times.

The camera needs a software update. Right now it will turn some pictures pink and in low light it's not very good.

Dammit. This is what I get for taking the time to quote and write something snarky. Haha.

Engadget OP2 review

Engadget said:
OnePlus has plenty to be proud of. After all, the company managed to make a phone that improved on the already-excellent original in every way that mattered. The OnePlus 2 is a powerful, well-built device, offering the best blend of price and performance you'll find in an unlocked phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/19/oneplus-2-review/

Reviews seem to be mixed and vary wildly from reviewer to reviewer.

Mindwipe

what would be the cheapest way to get mobile wifi for my kids ipads when travelling? Assume I don't have enough data on my phone to tether it. It would only be on/off probably during summer and christmas holidays, so I'd be looking for Pay as you go data, not a contract. So assume I have a PAYG data sim available

1) mobile wifi/mifi thingy
2) cheap 4G android phone
3) Just switch the SIM into my phone and set up call forwarding in case anyone tries to call my normal number.

Well, 3 would be cheapest, but very inconvenient, 1 would be better IMO for a reasonably small outlay.

Artechnica: OnePlus 2 Review—OnePlus cuts the wrong corners to stand out on a budget

Never settle.

Dammit. This is what I get for taking the time to quote and write something snarky. Haha.

Didn't post the good here

Good

An amazing price, $320-$390 for a Snapdragon 810 is one of the best deals out there.
Oxygen OS nails the software experience and should be the blueprint for a customized Android OS. The parts that Google provides are left alone, and the OS is extended with extra features and hardware support.
An unlocked bootloader, which makes it easy to root the phone or flash whatever you want.
Great battery life. A light OS + big battery = lots of screen on time.
A fast, accurate fingerprint sensor that works as well as the iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6.

this_guy

Never settle.

Yeah i sat around and waited like 10 minutes for another post on the last page so I can be top of the page here. Pretty pathetic.

Check out the benchmarks for the OnePlus 2 - Ars does a benchmark on a cold device and a warm device. So it's great that it doesn't overheat - but it does so by heavy throttling. I think this was kind of expected and not some magical optimizations.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, 3 would be cheapest, but very inconvenient, 1 would be better IMO for a reasonably small outlay.

Cheers. For basic things like web browsing or maybe some games that need an online connection (eg clash of clans), would 3G be enough? I can get a 4G data sim but 3G mobile hotspots are much cheaper

stop stanning for this budget ass phone man, if you like it great but it's not anything special or revolutionary beyond being a budget ass phone.

I guess I could say the same about people non stop posting negative stuff about it every chance they get. If you hate it, why do you care so much?

Saiyan-Rox

I'm still waiting for my OP2 to arrive but from what I've heard I may hold off using it till the software update come hopefully the update hits before it arrives so I can give some honest feedback for it.

No NFC does suck with android pay around the corner but I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong here) my android Wear can fill in for that can't it??

And if I do hate the phone I can sell it for the same I bought it for.

One thing I will say though is Oneplus have the worst fans/loyalists I've ever come across theyre all just so stupid and come across as brown nosing POS's

It arrived

fkJUGO3.jpg

VoxPop

So oneplus 2 not amazing? Figured the software would be buggy. MKBHD review yet?

That delay on the wonky fingerprint scanner is hilarious. Never works on its first try in videos. Defeats the entire purpose of having one. Much like the Atrix.

Then you have the scorching 810 melting your pants pockets. Mediocre camera and decent battery life. USB Type C is nice but not quite ready for the limelight yet. Retarded invite system. I don't think anyone really expected it to be "amazing".

BUT

It is a budget phone. You can't really get better specs for the price. Certainly not a 2015 flagship killer (let alone 2016) but still a good phone for the price. Should just sell them in Asia at bottom barrel prices to compete with Xiaomi as I'm sure they don't even make a blip in the US.

Note 5 seems to be trending as the phone to get in 2015.

It's a shame. Samsung has everything you need in a great Android phone with the Note that spec nerds love. No Qualcomm processor, lots of RAM, great design, S-Pen, great battery life, NFC, and great camera. But it's bogged down with fucking Touchwiz. It's ridiculous that my old S6 Edge still jittered in 2015. They are just like an ugly stepchild you just can't love no matter how good they are. The day they remove all their shitty S-Apps is the day they win the battle for second place.

The battle on the Android homefront is purely spec based and I feel like that's whats holding it back. The race to the bottom is also a terrible mentality. When an existing or new company decides to not focus on specs but deliver a well balanced all around great smartphone experience, it'll bring Android into a new era. Everyone is just concerned about delivering a shitty phone with beefy specs at minimum wage prices. One day.

I guess I could say the same about people non stop posting negative stuff about it every chance they get. If you hate it, why do you care so much?

Yeah the negative shit gets annoying too at times, but so does unpaid PR.

It's missing NFC at a point when NFC is becoming relevant
it's chip is an incremental upgrade due to throttling 810
it has no quick charge - in 2015!
camera is worse than OPO

Last year's device was better minus the touchscreen issues. It's not that I hate the device, I just don't understand your fervor over it.

zewone

camera is worse than OPO

Last year's device was better minus the touchscreen issues. It's not that I hate the device, I just don't understand your fervor over it.

NFC is becoming relevant where? I don't know anyone who uses it. Is there some sort of data to support this?

No quick charge, but it is using Type C.

I haven't really followed any reviews since I have like 0 chance of buying the phone, but I saw MKBHD's camera impressions and it looks pretty impressive.

camera is worse than OPO

Last years was better at the time, but this isn't a bad phone. I get the whole NFC thing, but Android Pay won't be relevant for a year atleast at retailers in the USA. Also most reviews say the camera is better. I'm thinking the camera app they included this time sucks. Switching camera apps probably improves quality a ton. I just have to counteract the guys here that do non stop dissing of the phone.

Note 5 seems to be trending as the phone to get in 2015.

It's a shame. Samsung has everything you need in a great Android phone with the Note that spec nerds love. No Qualcomm processor, lots of RAM, great design, S-Pen, great battery life, NFC, and great camera. But it's bogged down with fucking Touchwiz. It's ridiculous that my old S6 Edge still jittered in 2015. They are just like an ugly stepchild you just can't love no matter how good they are. The day they remove all their shitty S-Apps is the day they win the battle for second place.
Yep. I love the Note line, but I could definitely live without the majority of those S-Apps.

Still can't wait to get my Note 5 this weekend. Here's another review stating that the battery life is amazing and that the Note 5 has better performance than just about every major flagship as it should at that price.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/samsung-galaxy-note-5/2/

NFC is becoming relevant where? I don't know anyone who uses it. Is there some sort of data to support this?

No quick charge, but it is using Type C.

I haven't really followed any reviews since I have like 0 chance of buying the phone, but I saw MKBHD's camera impressions and it looks pretty impressive.

Do some reading on Android Pay. Omitting NFC is dumb.

Who the hell cares about USB type c when A) it's 2.0 in this phone w/o quick charge, and B) you can flip over a micro usb cord and plug it within 1 second, plus have quick charge?

Last years was better at the time, but this isn't a bad phone. I get the whole NFC thing, but Android Pay won't be relevant for a year atleast at retailers in the USA. Also most reviews say the camera is better. I'm thinking the camera app they included this time sucks. Switching camera apps probably improves quality a ton. I just have to counteract the guys here that do non stop dissing of the phone.

Last year's phone was better, period. This phone is the same phone minus a few features, a worse camera plus a fingerprint scanner. If you like it, I'm glad but that doesn't change the fact that OPO was a much better value. You're like a hype man at an iggy azalea concert right now

NFC Isn't suddenly becoming more relevant just because Android Pay is coming out. We need to see how well Android Pay ends up doing and if people actually care about using it before we can say NFC matters. Personally I haven't turned NFC on for any of the phones I've owned in the last 2-3 years and Android Pay isn't going to make me want to use it anymore.

Reckoner

I'm at a point where the Samsung logo on front bothers me more than TouchWiz.

Other than that, I'm starting to find the Note 5 a really cool phone. Great specs and design. And I love good screens, and this one seems to have best in class.

VoxPop

NFC is just another stat for the spec sheet. I'm sure 99% of Android phone users don't even turn it on. Not to mention Android Pay is only on Marshmallow (I think?) which 99% of people won't have till mid-late 2016 anyway. Not to mention it isn't all that intriguing unless you have a fingerprint scanner which 75% of Android phones won't even have for the next couple of months. Doesn't help that NFC was a feature on Android to use with a company called ISIS and the joke that is Google Wallet for the past few years either. Yeah I'm pulling numbers out of my ass but wouldn't be surprised if it was extremely close.

linkboy

NFC is just another stat for the spec sheet. I'm sure 99% of Android phone users don't even turn it on. Not to mention Android Pay is only on Marshmallow (I think?) which 99% of people won't have till mid-late 2016 anyway. Not to mention it isn't all that intriguing unless you have a fingerprint scanner which 75% of Android phones won't even have for the next couple of months. Doesn't help that NFC was a feature on Android to use with a company called ISIS and the joke that is Google Wallet for the past few years either. Yeah I'm pulling numbers out of my ass but wouldn't be surprised if it was extremely close.

I don't have my NFC turned on. I have my phone in a wallet case and if my NFC is on, it interacts with my military ID and creates a loud, annoying beeping sound.

Hattori

Banned
I use Apple Pay a lot, so I'm a proponent of NFC. Even my 3DS has NFC so I don't understand any financial reason to leave it out other than -- they want to sell $25 pieces of stylish plastic(backing), NFC would hinder that plan so they scrap it.

Saiyan-Rox

I believe pay is 4.4 and up

I could be wrong though but you will be able to download the app from the play store.

Top Bottom