• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I'm back on my trusty old Nexus 4 after selling my iPhone 6.

My wife just got an LG G4 and I sold her 5S as a result.

Got about 220 out of it- not bad since it was pretty dinged up.

Looking to either get :
G3
Moto X 2014
Moto G 2015
To replace the N4.

Which would you guys choose?

I know the Style and new Nexus are out soon but I'm looking to spend only a little more than what we got for the 5S.

I can't remember the last top tier phone with an IR blaster. It's not even a thing these days. It's cool, though, but I'm mildly annoyed we still use that old tech.

People use IR for remote control because it's braindead simple, overwhelmingly cheap, supported by everything on Earth, and it's been around for literally longer than I've been alive and it works so why would people change it?

Furyous

People that care about IR are weirder than the SD humpers. Get a real remote you weirdos.

NOPE, I paid $600+ and need to use this for at least three years. Now I need at least 4 GB of RAM on the device for future proofing so this limits my options.

I owned an LG G3. It was too big for me and overheated what felt like every 10 minutes. Granted I had the screen at 100 percent brightness but why not have the screen that bright all the time. The S805 version didn't have these problems but it was $600 without a warranty at the time.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Those phones all have IR? Hey, that's pretty cool.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People use IR for remote control because it's braindead simple, overwhelmingly cheap, supported by everything on Earth, and it's been around for literally longer than I've been alive and it works so why would people change it?
Because it's an old standard that needs to die already. Like headphone jacks.

Bboy AJ

Boy am I glad I chose the Nexus 6 over the Note 4.

reKon

Banned
Lenovo Tab 2 A10 is $180 for you poor mothafuckers

In case you wanted something cheap and bigger, I've actually heard good things about this one!

The struggle for a cheap capable tablet in the Android world is real brehs.

Also this deal is back for those who want step it up and go straight for the power (Windows 10 ultrabook): http://slickdeals.net/f/8054404-mic...usm1-signature-edition-win-10-599-tax-shipped

This is still by far the best bang for buck windows Ultrabook. Basically nearly as slim as the new Macbook, slightly slower (same CPU), and no backlit keys, but built very well and has more ports.

XBP

Got an unlocked (new) LG G3 for 230$. Pretty great upgrade from my current Moto G. The only problem I have with it so far is overheating. Gets pretty hot with any kind of CPU intensive task. I wonder why LG just didn't go with a 1080p screen.

Good old Google could really announce a date for the unveiling of the new Nexii phones ... the wait is killing me. Or we get more leaks for the internal stuff of them.

That's the only thing that stops me from getting that Moto X Style.

Bboy AJ

Good old Google could really announce a date for the unveiling of the new Nexii phones ... the wait is killing me. Or we get more leaks for the internal stuff of them.

That's the only thing that stops me from getting that Moto X Style.
Better to announce then release right away. I hate announcing a device weeks in advance.

They should just release what the have right now. Prototypes, beta hardware and software, all of it. And then fix it bit by bit, as time passes. You know, OnePlus style.

That's what I'm leaning towards, but the stock Android feel the Motos is tempting.

A camera is really important to me, which is a big knock against the Motos.

Any people here have any alarmingly bad experiences with a G3? I'm nervous buying one over a year into its life not knowing what sort of support it'll get in another year.

Reckoner

Holy shit guys

With all the antenna lines thing, protruding camera... I was very vocal here about that. And these days I've been thinking about what could come next and actually started thinking that they will probably get some pull out dual speakers or hanging dual speakers next. Turns out TechRadar made a mockup of the Z5 with that in mind. That TechRadar design is really great. One of the best phone designs I've ever seen, and looks different from what we have on the market right now. Just get rid of the Sony logo on the front.

3phemeral

Verizon finally released the 5.1.1 update for the S6. Crossing my fingers that the RAM problems are fixed. Stagefright bug was not fixed along with this.

this_guy

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying you're fine spending however much money on an iPhone with no IR blaster, but spending the same amount on another phone with no IR blaster is a no go? Why not hold the iPhone to the same standard?

The iPhone is perfect no matter what.

Are both Nexuses (Nexii?) supposed to come out at the same time?

tzare

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying you're fine spending however much money on an iPhone with no IR blaster, but spending the same amount on another phone with no IR blaster is a no go? Why not hold the iPhone to the same standard?
Because it's an iPhone. They do not get the shit android oems get even if their product is more expensive and has its own first world problems.
I use my note's 4 ir blaster quite a bit. And i miss fm radio sometimes (live soccer) when no signal available or running out of data.

I'd take fm radio and ir blaster over UV and spO2 sensor all the time.

Oh well unless it was an iPhone. Then it doesn't matter i guess. ..

manfestival

I'm back on my trusty old Nexus 4 after selling my iPhone 6.

My wife just got an LG G4 and I sold her 5S as a result.

Got about 220 out of it- not bad since it was pretty dinged up.

Looking to either get :
G3
Moto X 2014
Moto G 2015
To replace the N4.

Which would you guys choose?

I know the Style and new Nexus are out soon but I'm looking to spend only a little more than what we got for the 5S.
g3

Husker86

Lol at the comments acting like the G4 and One Plus Two were impressive even though they STILL got beat by the Note 5 wih its constant reloading. Fucking fanboys.
Well, my take on the video was that the LG would offer a better experience in the end. What if they did a third lap? A fourth? Each lap would have LG pull further ahead.

I say this as an S6 owner who will only buy LG if it's a Nexus, so don't bring that fanboy stuff up in here! ;)

manfestival

nexus, pl. nexus/nexuses

-us usually turns into -i, but nexus is not one of them. I agree nexuses is much more clunky than nexi.

Edit:

I'm curious of this. Obviously has the highest specs, but also the most bloat and less battery life than the Moto G.

the moto g 2015 is ok but only worth getting if you have the 2gb version. I have 2014 and its a good phone but the lack of ram constantly is an issue

also on the plus side for the 2015 moto g is you can have "no fat chicks" engraved on the back as well

Ty4on

Because it's an old standard that needs to die already. Like headphone jacks.
I've already semi replaced it with bluetooth, but I agree. I like physical connections that just work, but the headphone jack takes too much space in a phone, is very prone to failure from the stress and keeps getting clogged up.

but the headphone jack takes too much space in a phone, is very prone to failure from the stress and keeps getting clogged up.

What? I've used phones with headphone jacks mostly all of my life (obviously, since there hasn't really been any without them), and I've never had any of those issues. It just sounds like hyperbole. Imo bluetooth still isn't reliable and convenient enough for music, even though it's been around for so long, at least from my experience.

Ty4on

What? I've used phones with headphone jacks mostly all of my life (obviously, since there hasn't really been any without them), and I've never had any of those issues. It just sounds like hyperbole. Imo bluetooth still isn't reliable and convenient enough for music, even though it's been around for so long, at least from my experience.

I can't count how many headphones I've owned that have broken by the connector and my Nexus 4 connector is broken (probably loose and disconnects when I move too much). My 2008 iPod Touch is ok, but I don't want to buy a new headset every year.

My BT headset works totally fine despite having broken in half (someone sat on it by accident). I find in car BT incredibly unreliable and frustrating (still use it because I have no real alternative, can afford the time to plug it in every 20 minutes and have it flying around the cabin), but my headset has been rock solid and never crashed my phone unlike the aforementioned cars. The biggest issue is remembering to switch when I get a phone call because the headset has no noise cancellation and I often forget to turn it off (standby time is really good).

Spinluck

Is there a way to just wipe all the photos and videos on my phone if they are already backed up on the Google Photos cloud? It only let's me do it when I need more room, but I rather just get rid of all the stuff on my phone.

Wreav

Banned
Is there a way to just wipe all the photos and videos on my phone if they are already backed up on the Google Photos cloud? It only let's me do it when I need more room, but I rather just get rid of all the stuff on my phone.
Delete the contents of your DCIM folder.

Mindwipe

Is anyone else finding the most recent version of Hangouts is a buggy, slow mess that misplaces entire conversations?

Yes, I mean even by Hangouts standards.

yyzjohn

Banned
I guess doing it completely manually is my only option. Technology has made me so lazy.

You can do it on the phone too. In the left hand menu choose "Device folders" and then go into Camera. You can select all the photos there and "delete device copy". Bit of a pain as you have to highlight and scroll down the list to get them all, but handy if you're not near a computer to plug in.

Top Bottom