• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

linkboy

What might the price of the new Nexus be? I think the moto x style may be $400

The Nexus 5 was $350 for the 16GB model and $399 for the 32GB model.

If their targeting the market that the Nexus 5 hit with the new LG one, it'll probably be priced in around that.

I'm going to take a guess that the Huwai one will be a bit more expensive.

vivftp

sony please give me a front camera that actually performs in low light, same dimensions as z3c, fingerprint scanner, better back camera and either remove the stupid magnetic charger port or supply the charger as standard. dont fuck this up.

fuck off!!! there are plenty of big phones out there, for god sake sony please keep it the size of z3c. i have had my z1c for some time now so im due an upgrade but if the z3c is 5 inch sony can go eat dog shit.

The magnetic port is a thing of the past since the USB ports are now flapless, despite the phone retaining its waterproof abilities.

As for the size, this is the Z5 Compact and Z5 sized up against an iPhone 5S

CLf_YSvs_WUAAKyh_S.jpg

So yeah, the Z5C will be nice and small.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys.. I'm a super longtime iOS user and I'm thinking of maybe finally giving Android a try...

How does it work for all the music I bought on iTunes over the years? I obviously can't sync it with iTunes.

Also, I have no idea which phone I should actually pick? Are most android phone still offering the option to add sd cards to expand the storage?

Thanks

Jzero

Hey guys.. I'm a super longtime iOS user and I'm thinking of maybe finally giving Android a try...

How does it work for all the music I bought on iTunes over the years? I obviously can't sync it with iTunes.

Also, I have no idea which phone I should actually pick? Are most android phone still offering the option to add sd cards to expand the storage?

Thanks
Switch to Spotify? Don't get a nexus phone if you want to add storage.

Thanks

install Google Music and point it at your iTunes folder.

or just transfer the music over to the device via USB.

SD support varies wildly.

what are you looking to spend?

The magnetic port is a thing of the past since the USB ports are now flapless, despite the phone retaining its waterproof abilities.

As for the size, this is the Z5 Compact and Z5 sized up against an iPhone 5S

CLf_YSvs_WUAAKyh_S.jpg

So yeah, the Z5C will be nice and small.
Yes!! Looks to be same size as z3c, the promotion pic must have been of a z5 and not the compact.

Thanks
As someone who also switched from iphone I would highly recommend sony. The ui skin is very much vanilla android, phone are solid build and if u are lookong for similar specs/screen size to iphone 6 then u cant go wrong with xperia z3 compact. Also it does have sd card and water proofing.

And Google music will upload your itunes library, u can upload up to 50,000 songs for free. It works similar to itunes match, it will only upload songs that cant be found on its database so it doesnt take too long.

IR is awesome, and was definitely one of the things I wanted in a phone. I have three rooms with different TV's and audio equipment, and having a touch remote that is compatible with all of them and is always by my side is a massive plus. It is also able to cast videos, wifi connect to compatible devices. It is also able to control the TV in my hotel room, or in the doctors waiting room.
What 'real' remote does all this?

the best remote is the one you have with you

The Nexus 5 was $350 for the 16GB model and $399 for the 32GB model.

If their targeting the market that the Nexus 5 hit with the new LG one, it'll probably be priced in around that.

I'm going to take a guess that the Huwai one will be a bit more expensive.

Nexus 5 will probably hover around $400. Huawei one will begin at $500 and possibly go to $600 and up. The latter is suppose to have higher-end specs/premium materials; the former, more midrange. We shall see. The lack of 820 this year puts the Huawei Nexus in a real awkward spot.

They did one of these a few months back and the m9 blew out the s6 so I guess take from that what you will

Yeah, I'm looking at all these phones and the Note 5 is slowly becoming the least favored choice. With the removal of expandable memory and having a fixed battery, it's just becoming an iphone with touchwiz. It's even got the premium pricing. Right now almost anything else looks more attractive in the "phablet" class of android phones.

VoxPop

Yeah, I'm looking at all these phones and the Note 5 is slowly becoming the least favored choice. With the removal of expandable memory and having a fixed battery, it's just becoming an iphone with touchwiz. It's even got the premium pricing. Right now almost anything else looks more attractive in the "phablet" class of android phones.

They wish.

Just did my first factory reset on my Nexus 10.
It had an annoying bug where apps would stop updating when the screen turned off, even with all the correct settings.

I've had the tablet for 3 years so I just did a full wipe on the thing and it seems to have worked, apps are updating and keep updating and installing when I turn the screen off.

Thankfully I didn't have anything important on the tablet that I couldn't put back on (music) or that auto backups (Evernote, etc.). Wish I didn't have to do it at all, but I understand that with all the updates happening over the last 3 years something is bound to get a little wonky.

Looks like Samsung is running a promotion they've labeled as the "Ultimate Test Drive" in which iPhone users can get sent either a Galaxy Note 5, S6 Edge, or S6 Edge+ to use for 30 days with their carrier in an attempt to get people to switch over.
http://promo.samsungpromotions.com/ultimatetestdrive/

Doesn't seem that bad of a deal if you want to try one of their devices out and own an iPhone. There's an $100 charge if you return the phone damaged, or you have to pay replacement cost if it isn't working.

Furyous

^^^ Come to me and let me embrace you Galaxy s6. What variants are offered? Why do they offer the Galaxy Note 5 but not the GS6? Allegedly, the T-Mobile GS6 variant sucks and the ATT version, once again allegedly, allows you to dim the lights of the capacitive keys which should result in better battery.

Now that I think about it this trade off sucks in a way because the unlocked version doesn't allow you to dim the capacitive button yet comes with less bloatware/carrier fuckery that these devices offer.

Then again the device is $1. I won't be able to root because Samsung will find out but I get to toy around with a 2015 flagship and say owned an S6 for a month. I did this last year with the G3 except I paid full price for it only to return it because of reasons already mentioned. I might wait six weeks until Android Pay launches anyway.

Can the next OT be titled "Always Settle"?

Alchemy

^^^ Come to me and let me embrace you Galaxy s6. What variants are offered? Why do they offer the Galaxy Note 5 but not the GS6? Allegedly, the T-Mobile variant sucks and the ATT version, once again allegedly, allows you to dim the lights of the capacitive keys which should result in better battery.

Now that I think about it this trade off sucks in a way because the unlocked version doesn't allow you to dim the capacitive button yet comes with less bloatware/carrier fuckery that these devices offer.

Then again the device is $1. I won't be able to root because Samsung will find out but I get to toy around with a 2015 flagship and say owned an S6 for a month. I did this last year with the G3 except I paid full price for it only to return it because of reasons already mentioned. I might wait six weeks until Android Pay launches anyway.

Can the next OT be titled "Always Settle"?

Whats wrong with the Tmobile variant of the Note 5? This carrier shit is one of the major reasons I've been using an iPhone the last two years. Been doing my best to find an Android phone to switch back to but every phone has some random deal breaker. Very likely ending up with a 6S+ at this rate :/

I got my Note 4, I'm surprised by how much simply adding a metal band around the outside of the phone makes it feel more solid.

I thought Samsung was going away from BLOOP BLOOP but mine still has that by default :(

SLV

Hey guys, dont know if this is the right thread, but what would you suggest as a logical upgrade to the 2013 Nexus 7 ?
It is starting to show its age in the last month or so, mostly charging and battery related, but in my day to day a huge PITA.
I love the form factor to the nexus 7, so i would like something very similar in size/shape, but newer.
Waiting for the next Nexus phone to upgrade from my 5 as well. Thanks !

Toki767

Hey guys, dont know if this is the right thread, but what would you suggest as a logical upgrade to the 2013 Nexus 7 ?
It is starting to show its age in the last month or so, mostly charging and battery related, but in my day to day a huge PITA.
I love the form factor to the nexus 7, so i would like something very similar in size/shape, but newer.

Galaxy Tab S 8.4 is probably the best Android tablet around that size.

SLV

Galaxy Tab S 8.4 is probably the best Android tablet around that size.

Really ? After owning a Galaxy S2 and S3, having a Tab 10.1 original in the house and father getting a new S6,
i am kinda vary of Galaxy lineup, because funny as it is, the interface navigating is still faster on my Nexus 5 than the Galaxy S6 for example,
same goes for my nexus 7, dont want to switch to something less responsive than i already got,
i really like stock android or one with very light changes.
How are the Sony Z and Shield tablets then in comparison to size and performance and price ?

Sorry, I updated my post. Mine was sluggish, took ages to become responsive after waking it up, and its design really wasn't doing it for me.

I see, thanks !

Maiar_m

It's a bit bigger, but again I can't complain about my Z3 compact tablet. The NVIDIA Shield Tablet also gets good press although I hated mine.

How are the Sony Z and Shield tablets then in comparison to size and performance and price ?
Can't compare with Samsung's has I only had the Z3 and Shield and no Galaxy tabs. I can say that the build quality of both the Sony and NVIDIA are good, with Sony's slim, waterproof design being a definite plus. NVIDIA's a bit thick and heavy, but feels like a brick you can't even dent. On the software side of things, the Shield runs stock Android. I got what probably was a defective tablet because mine was sluggish as all hell and no amount of tech support ever fixed it. My Z3 Compact runs Sony's twist on android, which isn't exactly the greatest effort ever but with Google Now Launcher I hardly notice it. It got updated to Lollipops relatively fast, but I'm not holding my breath for M. Regardless it's got really smooth performance and a terrific screen to showcase it. Pricing isn't too bad either.

Mindwipe

The Z3 is okay, but it depends if you can get it cheap. I personally found it a bit too wide but YMMV.

Moodz

Hi guys, do you know if there is any way on Lollipop (Z3C) to hide sms preview from lock screen without disabling preview of sensitive info from all apps?
I can't find anything and it really bothers me...

Mindwipe

Hi guys, do you know if there is any way on Lollipop (Z3C) to hide sms preview from lock screen without disabling preview of sensitive info from all apps?
I can't find anything and it really bothers me...

Yes, but the UI for it is awful (not just on Sony, it's a Lollipop issue). If "show all notification content" is selected, you can go into the App notifications section and make any given app hide preview text.

The explanation wording for what this does is so badly written as to be flat out wrong, IMO, but it does work.

Megasoum

Banned
Switch to Spotify? Don't get a nexus phone if you want to add storage.

install Google Music and point it at your iTunes folder.

or just transfer the music over to the device via USB.

SD support varies wildly.

what are you looking to spend?

Yes!! Looks to be same size as z3c, the promotion pic must have been of a z5 and not the compact.

As someone who also switched from iphone I would highly recommend sony. The ui skin is very much vanilla android, phone are solid build and if u are lookong for similar specs/screen size to iphone 6 then u cant go wrong with xperia z3 compact. Also it does have sd card and water proofing.

And Google music will upload your itunes library, u can upload up to 50,000 songs for free. It works similar to itunes match, it will only upload songs that cant be found on its database so it doesnt take too long.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm not sure how much I'm willing to spend right now... All this is still very hypothetical. I have a iPhone 5c which is ok but I might be force to get rid of it soon so I'm looking at all my options. I'd love to just upgrade to 6 (or to whatever the new one they will announce soon) but those things are crazy expensive... Anyway I'll see.

Moodz

Yes, but the UI for it is awful (not just on Sony, it's a Lollipop issue). If "show all notification content" is selected, you can go into the App notifications section and make any given app hide preview text.

The explanation wording for what this does is so badly written as to be flat out wrong, IMO, but it does work.

Thanks, I found it! I think the wording is even worse in French though...
It's too bad it hides all the sms info, I wish it would show the name of the sender and hide the content.

Reckoner

So every semester it feels like another phone suddenly becomes popular on campus. Looking around everyone got a Moto X 2014 over the summer.

It may be because it's like Nexus 5 2014 and also got a big price drop recently

This kind of points - "Shiny finish collects fingerprints" - is like the worst bullshit ever in reviews. It really pisses me off. How can you review a phone and make that a freaking con. Just use gloves or something

reKon

Banned
So every semester it feels like another phone suddenly becomes popular on campus. Looking around everyone got a Moto X 2014 over the summer.

looking around it's always been iPhone since like 2011, lol

what school? (I've graduated from College years ago)

VoxPop

I haven't seen one Moto X in the wild. Not sure about the new Play and Style but the one they sent me a while back via the promotion to try it for a dollar was wildly mediocre. The Note 5 is looking rather impressive though. Did the Note 4 ever get CM?

I think I prefer the look of the old version.

e:
VBMczqp.png

I seriously can't believe they went with the flat tire again. It's like they ordered too many of the displays for the first gen and were too cheap to get rid of them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What a disappointment. What did these scrubs even do in the past year?

Top Bottom