• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Speedtest comparison between Samsung Note 5, One Plus Two, and LG G4.

Gotta say, quite the unique speed test they've put together, with a surprising result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV8LlTxcIvY

I'm loving the G4's speed and multitask. I really wanted a Note 5 before but I'm seriously considering the G4.

Is anyone else finding the most recent version of Hangouts is a buggy, slow mess that misplaces entire conversations?

Yes, I mean even by Hangouts standards.

Yup, I don't know how they could release this garbage. Swapping to the app results in a white screen about 70% of the time, resulting in having to close and reopen from the icon. Replying to a message brings up the keyboard for a bit, then closes the keyboard for whatever reason (using Swype if that matters) before I'm done. Think a couple times I didn't even receive a notification for my SMS. I tolerated the old hangouts but this one I might have to get a better messaging app.

Jigolo

Wow that was a sweet test. Can't really tell if the App reloading issue for the Note 5 is an Exynos/ram issue or a Tocuhwiz issue.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Wow that was a sweet test. Can't really tell if the App reloading issue for the Note 5 is an Exynos/ram issue or a Tocuhwiz issue.

Great test indeed. I want them to do it again with 3 or more laps though, and sit for at least 5 seconds in each app. I have found that some apps appear but don't fully "load" for a few more seconds if that makes sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've already semi replaced it with bluetooth, but I agree. I like physical connections that just work, but the headphone jack takes too much space in a phone, is very prone to failure from the stress and keeps getting clogged up.

Pretty sure I've had nokias in the past with 2.5mm headphone jacks. Don't know why they never became popular

vivftp

Alleged promo shot of the Z5 compact

gsmarena_001.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_compact_promotional_image_allegedly_leaks-news-13632.php

I was all set to buy the new Moto G, until I realised that the OnePlus One is now the same price. Is there any major benefit of the Moto over the OPO? Was thinking maybe future updates are more likely on the Moto?

I know OnePlus have a bit of a bad rep, but I'm not sure if I can pass up those specs for the price.

Pachimari

Reading 2 pages back, I wouldn't be able to buy a new phone without an IR blaster anymore. It have been useful often in my LG G3, when I have not been able to find my remote and it have been handy, when we have been on the brink of falling asleep in bed, and the remote is far away, so a small thing as turning off the tv with your phone is nice.

I was all set to buy the new Moto G, until I realised that the OnePlus One is now the same price. Is there any major benefit of the Moto over the OPO? Was thinking maybe future updates are more likely on the Moto?

I know OnePlus have a bit of a bad rep, but I'm not sure if I can pass up those specs for the price.

Get the OPO. Great phone.

Ty4on

Pretty sure I've had nokias in the past with 2.5mm headphone jacks. Don't know why they never became popular

:p

It was more annoying when every phone had it's own stupid adapter, I'll give you that. Sony Ericsson had this monstrosity so you could charge and listen to music at the same time.

Could have been worse though. I still shudder at how common VGA is.

this_guy

The OnePlus is missing LTE bands for both AT&T and T-Mobile. It'll work on LTE with both, but you'll run into places where you're not getting reception or data when you should be.

Rengoku

It's definitely a software issue that can likely be resolved.

But at what cost though? I wonder if this aggressive memory management issue is purely an oversight? or was it intentional? Could it have anything to do with enhancing battery life?

tzare

Is there a way to just wipe all the photos and videos on my phone if they are already backed up on the Google Photos cloud? It only let's me do it when I need more room, but I rather just get rid of all the stuff on my phone.
If using 3rd party gallery or oem stock gallery from there select all delete done.

Lol at removing headphone jack. Let's have multiple devices charging at night, smartphone headset, smartwatch.... not to mention the potential issues of using other bt devices simultaneously like smartwatches, smartbands,

The OnePlus is missing LTE bands for both AT&T and T-Mobile. It'll work on LTE with both, but you'll run into places where you're not getting reception or data when you should be.

I'm in the UK, on EE at the moment, which doesn't get 4G on the OPO, but switching to Three when my contact runs out next month, which does give me 4G.

reKon

Banned
only if the bezel game is tight though.

I think it will be fine there.

I think my dream phone is a Xperia Z Compact w/ finger print scanner, Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 7240 equivalent, 5 inch 1080P screen, 2800mAH battery, metal/hard plastic premium build, 3/4 GB of ram, water/dustproof, 64/128 GB option.

Maybe next year...?

AndyD

aka andydumi
If using 3rd party gallery or oem stock gallery from there select all delete done.

Lol at removing headphone jack. Let's have multiple devices charging at night, smartphone headset, smartwatch.... not to mention the potential issues of using other bt devices simultaneously like smartwatches, smartbands,

That's why I am susprised we have not advanced more with wireless charging. I imagine a large mat where you lay your various electronics, watch, phone, headset and in the morning all are charged, no fuss, no cords no nothing.

RuGalz

Is anyone else finding the most recent version of Hangouts is a buggy, slow mess that misplaces entire conversations?

Yes, I mean even by Hangouts standards.

seems much faster than previous version. annoyed that they took out time stamp for hangout messages though

Reckoner

I think it will be fine there.

I think my dream phone is a Xperia Z Compact w/ finger print scanner, Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 7240 equivalent, 5 inch 1080P screen, 2800mAH battery, metal/hard plastic premium build, 3/4 GB of ram, water/dustproof, 64/128 GB option.

Maybe next year...?

You'll be lucky if you even get any Xperia next year

zewone

OPO is $300 still, right?

sony please give me a front camera that actually performs in low light, same dimensions as z3c, fingerprint scanner, better back camera and either remove the stupid magnetic charger port or supply the charger as standard. dont fuck this up.
A 5 inch size would be perfection.

fuck off!!! there are plenty of big phones out there, for god sake sony please keep it the size of z3c. i have had my z1c for some time now so im due an upgrade but if the z3c is 5 inch sony can go eat dog shit.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Their design is fine, the durability of their materials are the issue, it seems. It would totally be cool to have a redesign, though.
I actually like the glass sandwich. I'm picking up a Note 5 tomorrow, but for Sony's sake their phones ain't selling so maybe they should think about a redesign.

Cheers guys, I'll probably go for the OPO then, the Moto G will probably get improved on year after year but the One really seems to be something a bit special.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
People that care about IR are weirder than the SD humpers. Get a real remote you weirdos.
IR is awesome, and was definitely one of the things I wanted in a phone. I have three rooms with different TV's and audio equipment, and having a touch remote that is compatible with all of them and is always by my side is a massive plus. It is also able to cast videos, wifi connect to compatible devices. It is also able to control the TV in my hotel room, or in the doctors waiting room.
What 'real' remote does all this?

reKon

Banned
sony please give me a front camera that actually performs in low light, same dimensions as z3c, fingerprint scanner, better back camera and either remove the stupid magnetic charger port or supply the charger as standard. dont fuck this up.

fuck off!!! there are plenty of big phones out there, for god sake sony please keep it the size of z3c. i have had my z1c for some time now so im due an upgrade but if the z3c is 5 inch sony can go eat dog shit.

it's the perfect size though. I know that this is hard to believe, but you can still make it compact. I don't even mind if it's 4.8 inches.

Top Bottom