• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they tweaked the app killing to at least keep chrome and gmail/email apps open and closed others, I bet hardly anyone would care.

Is there any way to control how much mobile data the phone uses, or is it just on/off? It would be nice to have an exclusion list like you can get for battery saving - a whitelist for apps that can use mobile data in the background. My wife has a very small data allowance, but it would be nice to have just gmail being able to use data without other apps using it all up. And then of course any app she uses in the foreground.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Again, like I said, I'm so glad I went with the Nexus 6 over the Note 4.

Nexus 9 can't hold anything in its memory. What a piece of garbage. No Zenpad reviews talk about the memory caching of the tablet. Weak.

reKon

Banned
Again, like I said, I'm so glad I went with the Nexus 6 over the Note 4.

Nexus 9 can't hold anything in its memory. What a piece of garbage. No Zenpad reviews talk about the memory caching of the tablet. Weak.

Don't you own one now? Why don't you test it yourself? I did read a comment on that Android police article, which said that even their Zenphone 2 can multitask way better.

Pachimari

I just read that Google is coming out with Android Pay which were announced 3 months ago apparently. But is there a high chance it'll come to you countries outside the US? Maybe smaller countries in Europe?

And in that case, will one need to update their OS or will it just be required to install an app?

I would love some kind of payment system on my LG G3.

kinggroin

Banned
If they tweaked the app killing to at least keep chrome and gmail/email apps open and closed others, I bet hardly anyone would care.

Is there any way to control how much mobile data the phone uses, or is it just on/off? It would be nice to have an exclusion list like you can get for battery saving - a whitelist for apps that can use mobile data in the background. My wife has a very small data allowance, but it would be nice to have just gmail being able to use data without other apps using it all up. And then of course any app she uses in the foreground.

You can

Data usage under settings. Touch the app icons

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Don't you own one now? Why don't you test it yourself? I did read a comment on that Android police article, which said that even their Zenphone 2 can multitask way better.
It's on the way. I'll update when I get mine.

Based on my elderly GS3, I'd say it's the low battery sound!

Edit: actually thinking about it, it might be referring to the old water droplet sound...

Well, it's certainly not the low battery sound of GS5, and pretty much all other sounds can be changed. I think I remember the water droplet sound now that you mention it, but it's neither default nor required!

Pachimari

I think I'm gonna upgrade from my LG G3 next year but I still love it lots and have 4 batteries and 2 chargers already, so maybe I'll keep it for an extra year.

I would like a phone of aluminum and metal frame that is not made of one piece, but instead let's me take off the cover and change my batteries and microSD cards.

And I don't like Samsung as a company, so I'm probably left with LG next time I want to upgrade.

Reckoner

I think I'm gonna upgrade from my LG G3 next year but I still love it lots and have 4 batteries and 2 chargers already, so maybe I'll keep it for an extra year.

I would like a phone of aluminum and metal frame that is not made of one piece, but instead let's me take off the cover and change my batteries and microSD cards.

And I don't like Samsung as a company, so I'm probably left with LG next time I want to upgrade.

Also Samsung phones collect too much fingerprints. Better to get away from it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Honestly for normal operation + Hearthstone my G3 is fine. I'm in no rush to upgrade and drop more cash.

L.O.R.D

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/22/9191757/asus-zenfone-2-deluxe-special-edition

asus-zenfone-2-deluxe-special-edition-750x400.jpg

Zenfone 2 Deluxe Special Edition
256 GB , but no micro SD
polygonal pattern or carbon fiber
coming to Brazil next month

reKon

Banned
Need that Zenpad to get in stock before 8/31...

VCO2015BTS code takes of $25 and I have a $50 Newegg gift card. So that's $225 without having spend gift credit on Amazon which will charge me tax.

C'mon Newegg... or I just want until black friday...

Saiyan-Rox

I heard samsung phones had a memory issue before but i didn't know it was that bad

think I dodged a bullet getting the edge as that would have pissed me off.

EDIT: Also I really like that zenfone back cover

Noema

Yesterday I was at Best Buy with a friend and we spotted an LG G3 for about $250ish. After I expressed my surprise at the price, my friend asked me if he should buy it and I was like YES. He was using an iPhone 3Gs, for reference.

Such a nice device for the price. It's not a perfect phone by any means, but he got it cheap so it's easy to overlook whatever flaws it might have. Camera is fantastic, as is the display. Quick charging and the removable battery are just the icing on the cake. Only the battery seems suspect.

He was obviously ecstatic. Imagine upgrading from a 2009 phone to that. It's like showing the International Space Station to a caveman.

Are there any Android phones in the $100 range that are comparable or better than a lumia 640? Don't mind getting an old flagship if they still work well, I'd just like something 5 inches or less with a day of battery life.

Saiyan-Rox

Lmao

Open skype to chat to a mate on my N9 leave the skype screen and straight away the audio gets distorted. open an app and it shits a brick.....How the hell did this tab pass testing.

Moto E (2015) maybe? nah, go with the Lumia.
Hmm, I'd be ok moving up to that price range but then my question becomes Moto X 2013 or Moto E 2015, assuming I get a used X for a similar price. Seems like the camera and processor are better at the expense of a microsd slot. I vaguely recall there being battery life complaints when it cane out but I'm not sure how much updates improved that.

Bboy AJ

Lmao

Open skype to chat to a mate on my N9 leave the skype screen and straight away the audio gets distorted. open an app and it shits a brick.....How the hell did this tab pass testing.
I hate the Nexus 9. It was excusable for the 2012 Nexus 10 to run poorly in 2015. But the Nexus 9 barely runs better than the much older N10.

MKBHD's latest video is a great spoof on the "Year of compromises".
I shared that droid life article here a day ago because we are always talking about the same thing.

To me it's not even the fact that there's always a "but..." for every phone. It's that it's always something BIG. But yeah I'm glad more people are talking about it. It's pretty ridiculous to think about how many devices are out there and how we still can't get one ideal device. I disagree with him that anything outside of the "main" things are all up in the air or not as important. Things like no NFC...that shouldn't be a question it should just be there period. Fingerprint in 2015/2016...again shouldn't be a question mark it should just be there.

4:15 pm

Today I took the OTA updates from Verizon for the Stagefight vulnerability. It's actually the first time I've ever taken an OTA update on an Android device. All my previous Androids were rooted, running custom recoveries and ROMs, and always updated manually with a flash in recovery. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I might not live in the Unroot Ghetto for too long, the Moto X Pure is almost out and if Verizon will let me activate one on their network I might just sell my Note 4.

4:15 pm

Today I took the OTA updates from Verizon for the Stagefight vulnerability. It's actually the first time I've ever taken an OTA update on an Android device. All my previous Androids were rooted, running custom recoveries and ROMs, and always updated manually with a flash in recovery. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I might not live in the Unroot Ghetto for too long, the Moto X Pure is almost out and if Verizon will let me activate one on their network I might just sell my Note 4.
do it

MrJames

Got the 64GB Zenpad on Friday but haven't really spent much time with it until tonight. Wifi is little finicky with one of my range extenders. Sometimes it will connect and no internet while other times it simply won't connect at all. Might just need a firmware update to improve compatibility. Connects with AC no problem.

Default keyboard is shit. Everything you type gets auto-corrected unless you select the word to add it to the dictionary.

Watched a few VUDU movies and they all have the high motion soap opera effect. I disabled the blur motion free setting but the SOE is still there. I'm not using this for movies so it's not important to me but might bother others.

Opened up Amazon Music, 8 Dolphin tabs, 8 Chrome tabs, NOAA HD weather radar app, paused the music to play a few Youtube clips, opened Vudu and watched a minute of Gladiator. Nothing needed to be reloaded when I went back through everything. Amazon Music started playing right where it left off. The boost button showed I was using 75% memory. Hitting boost brought usage down to 60% and made Youtube, Vudu and Chrome reload. I'm also running a live wallpaper.

I shared that droid life article here a day ago because we are always talking about the same thing.

To me it's not even the fact that there's always a "but..." for every phone. It's that it's always something BIG. But yeah I'm glad more people are talking about it. It's pretty ridiculous to think about how many devices are out there and how we still can't get one ideal device. I disagree with him that anything outside of the "main" things are all up in the air or not as important. Things like no NFC...that shouldn't be a question it should just be there period. Fingerprint in 2015/2016...again shouldn't be a question mark it should just be there.

Samsung usually gets it all right hardware wise.

The sound is very clear on the Zenpad. Not super loud, but clear and crisp due to being front facing. Battery is average. Screen is very nice. I've had very few hiccups. It's pretty smooth.

My favorite thing is how light it is. It's not metal and shit, but as a tablet it doesn't need to be.

Top Bottom