• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Samsung usually gets it all right hardware wise.
If you just mean camera/performance/build then yeah I wouldn't argue that. Though their camera is ugly as fug on the back there.

But they still shit the bed in battery life/software (though this is slowly improving). For the S6 I mean. They're close though. If the S6 had GREAT battery life instead of average/bad battery. It would probably the best android phone ever made.

If you just mean camera/performance/build then yeah I wouldn't argue that. Though their camera is ugly as fug on the back there.

But they still shit the bed in battery life/software (though this is slowly improving). For the S6 I mean. They're close though. If the S6 had GREAT battery life instead of average/bad battery. It would probably the best android phone ever made.

They have pretty much everything wants hardware though like I said. Plus Note is their new flagship line and battery life is apparently good there. Touchwiz is always ugly though.

6:05pm

Somehow, Hangouts has managed to become worse when upgrading from a Note II on KK4.4.2 to a Note 4 on L5.0.1. Now instead of running slowly when trying to load an MMS thread with about 2,000 message, it just hangs and reboots the whole phone. I mean Hangouts has always been a piece of shit on Android but come on Google. Apparently Snapdragon 805 and 3 GB of RAM isn't enough to run Hangouts.

I didn't want to go back to the ugly default Samsung messaging client, so out of curiosity I opened the Verizon Message+ app. This...this is amazingly not awful. It more or less copies the UI design of the Gmail app. It actually is nice and fast. And it actually loads my big MMS thread without exploding like Hangouts.

I don't know. I'm not really a person who uses carrier apps but of the 3 choices I have, Hangouts, Samsung Messages, and Verizon Message+, it's actually Verizon Message+ which seems to be the best app. In an insane world, it may actually be the sanest choice.

Somehow, Hangouts has managed to become worse when upgrading from a Note II on KK4.4.2 to a Note 4 on L5.0.1. Now instead of running slowly when trying to load an MMS thread with about 2,000 message, it just hangs and reboots the whole phone. I mean Hangouts has always been a piece of shit on Android but come on Google. Apparently Snapdragon 805 and 3 GB of RAM isn't enough to run Hangouts.

I didn't want to go back to the ugly default Samsung messaging client, so out of curiosity I opened the Verizon Message+ app. This...this is amazingly not awful. It more or less copies the UI design of the Gmail app. It actually is nice and fast. And it actually loads my big MMS thread without exploding like Hangouts.

I don't know. I'm not really a person who uses carrier apps but of the 3 choices I have, Hangouts, Samsung Messages, and Verizon Message+, it's actually Verizon Message+ which seems to be the best app. In an insane world, it may actually be the sanest choice.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

Textra is your friend.

Thank me later

Jigolo

Video was funny. A really good video.

I do hate the article and that the kid goes for an iPhone. Because that phone is far from perfect.

They have pretty much everything wants hardware though like I said. Plus Note is their new flagship line and battery life is apparently good there. Touchwiz is always ugly though.
Huge phones will always have an asterisk because that's a dealbreaker for many many people. It could be a god tier phone but having it be really big is a fatal flaw for a lot of people. Even if it's not for you.

Have you guys seen the new MKBHD video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmkab1LUqlg
The skit in the middle killed me.
no one reads :p

iPhone being "far from perfect" is a bit of a stretch for the average consumer. Solid battery life, great display/camera/build quality/software. 2 size options. It's an easy no brainer for most consumers whereas the android marketplace is like uhhhhhh wtf is this, wtf is that, this has what now? Why is this one so big? Why is this one kinda slow? This is confusing.

GG.

Jigolo

iPhone being "far from perfect" is a bit of a stretch for the average consumer. Solid battery life, great display/camera/build quality/software. 2 size options. It's an easy no brainer for most consumers whereas the android marketplace is like uhhhhhh wtf is this, wtf is that, this has what now? Why is this one so big? Why is this one kinda slow? This is confusing.

GG.

Same exact thing could be said about the S6 and G4 "for the average consumer".

I don't know about the G4 but I don't disagree about the S6. That's why it's the most popular android phone by a giant margine. But the user experience hurts it. Software counts for a lot more than people think round these parts.

diaspora

I don't know about the G4 but I don't disagree about the S6. That's why it's the most popular android phone by a giant margine. But the user experience hurts it. Software counts for a lot more than people think round these parts.

What? What's wrong with the UX? It's better than stock.

it's definitely more confusing, more erroneous errors, because there's a lot you can do there's also a lot you can screw up, etc...

I mean even samsung took the stage and bragged that they removed features lol. That's when you know your skin is garbage. When I worked tech support for smartphones I don't think any other phones gave me more headaches than samsung phones just in terms of the sheer amount of things that can go wrong with a device.

I don't think it's better than stock at all. I prefer the simplicity/clarity of stock. I've said it before but out of all the skins that exist on android I can think of maybe 1 or 2 features I wish stock had. Which isn't bad. Again though, samsung is improving software wise but they did their damage unfortunately. Once consumers make up their minds it's hard to go back.

Cipherr

And even more funnily, people were peddling that 'iPhone is perfect' bullshit before there were 2 sizes to choose from. So it was perfect then, and its perfect now that there's 2 choices in size now too? Convenient. Similar with NFC and watching the OnePlus.

jetsetrez

Have you guys seen the new MKBHD video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmkab1LUqlg
The skit in the middle killed me.
All too true, too. For the average person, "fuck it, I'll get an iPhone" is probably the right choice for them in most situations. I really hope the new N5 gets everything right and is the total package, finally, where all of these other OEMs have failed in some respect.

Great camera, high end specs, quality display, Android Pay + fingerprint sensor, for a great price. Do it Google.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Touchwiz is the biggest strike against the s6. It starts out ok, then deteriorates rapidly as you add apps. Combine that with the lollipop leak problem, and you have two large tech companies undermining excellent hardware with software. Not fatally, but I'd recommend an iPhone over an s6 to an average person. And there are two s6 edge phones in my household.

clav

S6 Active

Then again, touchwiz and aggressive RAM management still hold it back.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The sound is very clear on the Zenpad. Not super loud, but clear and crisp due to being front facing. Battery is average. Screen is very nice. I've had very few hiccups. It's pretty smooth.

My favorite thing is how light it is. It's not metal and shit, but as a tablet it doesn't need to be.

Got the 64GB Zenpad on Friday but haven't really spent much time with it until tonight. Wifi is little finicky with one of my range extenders. Sometimes it will connect and no internet while other times it simply won't connect at all. Might just need a firmware update to improve compatibility. Connects with AC no problem.

Default keyboard is shit. Everything you type gets auto-corrected unless you select the word to add it to the dictionary.

Watched a few VUDU movies and they all have the high motion soap opera effect. I disabled the blur motion free setting but the SOE is still there. I'm not using this for movies so it's not important to me but might bother others.

Opened up Amazon Music, 8 Dolphin tabs, 8 Chrome tabs, NOAA HD weather radar app, paused the music to play a few Youtube clips, opened Vudu and watched a minute of Gladiator. Nothing needed to be reloaded when I went back through everything. Amazon Music started playing right where it left off. The boost button showed I was using 75% memory. Hitting boost brought usage down to 60% and made Youtube, Vudu and Chrome reload. I'm also running a live wallpaper.
Yesssss

diaspora

Touchwiz is the biggest strike against the s6. It starts out ok, then deteriorates rapidly as you add apps. Combine that with the lollipop leak problem, and you have two large tech companies undermining excellent hardware with software. Not fatally, but I'd recommend an iPhone over an s6 to an average person. And there are two s6 edge phones in my household.

TouchWiz lets me theme the system however I want, combined with customer launchers I can get a far superior experience over stock. That and I can resize/split apps on screen which is something I use daily tbh.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...reen-2gb-of-ram-wi-fi-and-lte-models-planned/

Amaze me, LG

Also, Note 5 is ok

gsmarena_001.jpg

iPhones aren't any more close to perfect than any of the flagship Android phones. All the best devices have their compromises, and iPhones most definitely do not have less of them.

Furyous

What 6 or more apps do you run at the same time and why? The memory leak issue on the S6 doesn't seem too bad because I don't run more than six apps at the same time.

*EDIT*

My question is more of a general question than apologizing for any OEM ESPECIALLY SAMSUNG. I'm team good product like last year I loved the G3. I'm not downplaying the issue at all because now that I think about it this is a big deal and a shit job by Samsung.

Yeah nevermind because these phones have double, triple, someties quadruple what I'm using right now so this should be a non issue. Once again, I'm not trolling at all just wondering out loud. Is this normal on some devices or just a Samsung thing? I didn't have these problems last year with the G3....

This is the Android thread so fuck an iphone even though I own all the single numbered versions.

kinggroin

Banned
What 6 or more apps do you run at the same time and why? The memory leak issue on the S6 doesn't seem too bad because I don't run more than six apps at the same time.

This is the Android thread so fuck an iphone even though I own all the single numbered versions.

Don't do this.

reKon

Banned

I expect this to be priced at $230 - $250. But $200 would be a really nice price for it.

Please keep apologizing for a shit OEM.

it's funny you say that...

wtf was the point of this creation: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...s-in-a-metal-chassis-starting-at-230-may-1st/

I honestly don't get it
ok, actually I do get what they're trying to do

EmiPrime

If the Nexus 5 has a reasonable battery and the iPhone 6s has 2GB of RAM and is more durable then those two phones will be as close to perfect as you can reasonably expect.

I'm optimistic!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
TouchWiz lets me theme the system however I want,

This feature just slows the phone down even more than usual touchwiz.

I like split screen, I've even used it occasionally. I would give it up for a better day to day experience. My phone lags, chugs, stutters, and reloads tabs every single day now. Then, from time to time, my battery drains at a rapid rate, like right now where I've lost a big chunk in an hour without doing much. I don't know why it has to be this way.

Husker86

*EDIT*

My question is more of a general question than apologizing for any OEM ESPECIALLY SAMSUNG. I'm team good product like last year I loved the G3. I'm not downplaying the issue at all because now that I think about it this is a big deal and a shit job by Samsung.

Yeah nevermind because these phones have double, triple, someties quadruple what I'm using right now so this should be a non issue. Once again, I'm not trolling at all just wondering out loud. Is this normal on some devices or just a Samsung thing? I didn't have these problems last year with the G3....

I have an S6:

6 apps? PocketCasts gets killed and removed from my notification shade if I pause it sometimes. This is without opening any other apps. I try to hit play button on my headphones a minute or more later and nothing happens; when I go to see why, it's because the damn app was killed! Nice, clean notification area...thanks Samsung, I hate clutter!

I can, with almost 100% certainty, say that any app I return to will reload unless I hit the home button and go straight back into it right away. Some apps save their state nicely and are lightweight enough so that I don't really notice the reloading, but that's rare, and they're still technically reloading.

It's a fucking joke. I wish I could go back to the posts where I said I'm giving Samsung another shot and slap myself with a "you're an idiot" reply.

Ok, I'm not that mad, but I truly do regret getting this phone. I love the camera, fingerprint reader, and screen, and I'm glad I had it for testing my apps, but I would have been fine with my Nexus 5.

Drifters

From their review:
Bad Stuff

Can't replace battery
No 128GB option and no microSD expansion
Expensive
Bolded the LULZ.

Seriously Verge? SRSLY!?!?!?!?

EDIT: and dat 1st comment:
Just a thought…. If you are going to ding an android phone for not having a micro sd expansion slot you should be doing the same with your apple reviews http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/16/6154975/iphone-6-review

lol

Drifters

Also--

Now that we're mid stream, the only interesting phone coming out back half of this year is the new Nexus?--- which to be fair... what are we calling the thing?

terrier

what does exactly hurt on a s6 (or any decent android smartphone) ? Everything works these days. Average user doesn't care about occasional lag here or 20 minutes less of battery life. As if Iphones had outstanding battery life (afaik iphone 6 has similar one as most popular android phones and barely last a full day)
O yeah, some times android has that rogue app that drains battery life....
Really my wife uses her s4 without problems, 18 months and 0 issues. My mother has a BQ aquaris, 0 problems and great battery life (5 inches 2500mAh quadcore mediatek phone). And the same could be said about all relatives , all of them using android and a couple of windows phones.

Iphones are popular because apple is a popular brand, like bmw or audi are preferred to Kia. Not because they have the better product.

Top Bottom