• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/20/9181451/samsung-galaxy-note-5-review

the comments section...

michael-jordan-laugh.gif
Ya know I never go to iverge but reading the comments to see the staff say they compare andorids to iphones but compare iphones to iphones

Also there is uglier less believable 5.7 nexus images floating around then the ones in the previous page. Still waiting to grab the 5-2 tho

Schlep

The Verge complaining about high cost, lack of SD card slot, and a battery you can't replace? Can't wait to read their iPhone 6S review.

No, but see, iPhone has always been high cost while never having SD card or removable battery. With the Note 5, you had them in the 4, so now they're gone. That means they're more gone than they are with any iPhone, because iPhone.

No, but see, iPhone has always been high cost while never having SD card or removable battery. With the Note 5, you had them in the 4, so now they're gone. That means they're more gone than they are with any iPhone, because iPhone.

pretty sure this is the lowest launch price for a Galaxy Note device.

kinggroin

Banned
Once again TouchWiz wins over stock in battery. Hold that L stock Android, enjoy having way more than 6 apps running at once!

One Plus 2 isn't stock. It's also running an 810 chipset, which sucks ass.

Though I won't argue that outside if this current M3 preview, Google is notorious for finding new ways to rape your battery life.

Reckoner

These new Nexuses just show how great Moto is. Moto's Nexus is beautiful. Everyone should take notes from it on how to make a phablet that actually feels good in the hand.

Huawei aping Motorola.

DHJDpBt.jpg

I still have one of these in a drawer. It was such a horrible device, the only reason I didn't switch to iPhone when I upgraded it was back then Apple was still exclusive on AT&T.

One Plus 2 isn't stock. It's also running an 810 chipset, which sucks ass.

Though I won't argue that outside if this current M3 preview, Google is notorious for finding new ways to rape your battery life.

Good news guys, the Huawei Nexus is using SD810 too!

It's hilarious that Qualcomm's intended 2015 top-shelf SoC is now being shoved into budget devices just to get rid of the damn things because no one wants it in their real high-end. Instead they are using the SD808 which doesn't overheat when you look at it funny. Strong work Qualcomm, good luck in 2016!

Groof

These new Nexuses just show how great Moto is. Moto's Nexus is beautiful. Everyone should take notes from it on how to make a phablet that actually feels good in the hand.

That's because the Moto Nexus 6 was never meant to be a Nexus at all. It was meant to be a phablet version of the Moto X 2014 that Google snatched as a last minute resort for not having a Nexus phone ready.

Reckoner

That's because the Moto Nexus 6 was never meant to be a Nexus at all. It was meant to be a phablet version of the Moto X 2014 that Google snatched as a last minute resort for not having a Nexus phone ready.

I know about that. And it's interesting how the Nexus that wasn't going to be a Nexus is actually the most well designed Nexus ever.

Hasney

Okay you got me with this XDD

Wait it only has 3GB of RAM? Bugger

I don't see the issue, especially for anyone who doesn't keep a phone for much longer than a year.

You want 4GB, there's the OnePlus Two (lol) or a Samsung phone that refuses to use it.

Saiyan-Rox

I don't see the issue, especially for anyone who doesn't keep a phone for much longer than a year.

You want 4GB, there's the OnePlus Two (lol) or a Samsung phone that refuses to use it.

Oh I know I just figured 4GB would become the norm but I guess that'll be next year.

and my OP2 will be arriving tomorrow actually :p lets see how long that'll last....probably until around the end of October?

vivftp

Hopefully focus means camera and price.

Most likely it's referring to the IMX230 sensor that they're also using in the Xperia M5. It's got 192 auto focus points.

I suppose it's possible they might have another sensor that they'll be exclusively using for the flagship... but at the very least it should be the IMX230

vivftp

heyyy looks like the last 5 phones we've put out

I was hoping they would at least have the super narrow side bezels like the C5 Ultra. Ah well.

It looks like the major differences we know about so far will be the improved camera and the fingerprint sensor. Other rumours are ranging from 4GB of RAM to internal watercooling tech... so who knows. Only 9 days until we find out!

On the design front, it does look like rumours are circulating that they'll move away from the omnibalance design for the next gen phone... but we'll have to likely wait until MWC to know if that's true or not.

Ty4on

GAAAAH! A camera review and not a single picture is available in full res. How the fuck am I supposed to judge a 20MP camera with a 150kB file?
Low light shots are equally useless without any metadata. They're literally random shots of the bathroom with the lights turned off.

Scaled down everything looks good and you can choose 100% crops that aren't ruined by a soft corner or noise reduction.
RSw3xC8.jpg

100% crop
pmzozZE.jpg
Nexus 4

Nexus 5-2 stays winning in the end. All we need is that decent battery confirmation and we are a goddamn go. Other than a camera hump which isn't a big deal since they're all ugly these days, it looks nice. Dig the polycarbonate back. Still decent size.

Just need a no whammy on the battery and we good. That huawei one looks weird. I think it'll look better all black but yeah I'm glad I wasn't considering that one.

Furyous

TL;DR The author wants to eliminate the high end so we're left with low and middle tier smartphones.

This is a bad idea as it conditions us to want more for less. In three years low tier phones should have Moto X Play camera. Let that sink in for a second. This idea that OEM shouldn't charge us more than $500 is crazy in a way because these devices last for two, three, and four years... or at least they should. I'll take a loss in year one as long as the device lasts me at least three years.

VoxPop

Meh. As much as I love Sony, they should be focusing on other things and not their faltering Xperia line. If it's going to be something revolutionary, throw all that money into Vaio RND.

3x USB Type C ports
1440p touchscreen display
incredible battery
incredible trackpad
incredible keyboard
incredible laptop speakers
aluminum/carbon fiber build
remote ps4 play
seamless DS4 integration and holster

best windows laptop on the market

Unless the Xperia is getting something truly special and a redesign, I just see it as a waste of money. Who cares about a top of the line smartphone camera. Those people would buy a real camera instead.

vivftp

Meh. As much as I love Sony, they should be focusing on other things and not their faltering Xperia line. If it's going to be something revolutionary, throw all that money into Vaio RND.

3x USB Type C ports
1440p touchscreen display
incredible battery
incredible trackpad
incredible keyboard
incredible laptop speakers
aluminum/carbon fiber build
remote ps4 play
seamless DS4 integration and holster

best windows laptop on the market

Unless the Xperia is getting something truly special and a redesign, I just see it as a waste of money. Who cares about a top of the line smartphone camera. Those people would buy a real camera instead.

... you do realize Sony sold off the VAIO brand over a year ago, right? :)

And many people care about a top of the line smartphone camera. If you don't have your badass, high end camera with you and only have your phone, you want to make sure it does a damn good job.

Top Bottom