• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Furyous

NQHKSVE.gif

Oh Word? Don't take my word for it......

Xisiqomelir

My Z3's screen broke and Sony very nicely fixed it under warranty.

They also wiped the storage (not a problem for removable micro-SD master race), and installed Lollipop.

I've had it for about 3 days now and I'm still not sure whether I want to downgrade back to KitKat.

reKon

Banned
my Xperia Z3 Compact on 5.1.1 has been on point. I'm not sure if battery life is the same or worse...

I think it's just one of those aging things, but it was definitely better when I first got it a year ago. It's not something I think about too much because it's still better than the battery life that android gaf deals with. I'm not with the struggle

Hasney

With M Preview 3 I get about 5 1/2 h SoT. Almost doubled it to lollipop :)

Yeah, its certainly.wonderful seeing 2 dates on the battery chart on a low usage day, but yet can still use the phone quite a bit on a long train ride. Just don't somehow fuck it up on the full release Google.

VoxPop

Has there ever been any Nexus device with good battery life? I wouldn't believe them. Surprised they didn't learn anything after acquiring Moto.

Quasar

I'm in the same boat. That battery... Mmmmmm

Yeah. That battery really is a big plus for it. And the lack of one is the big pain point for me with my existing Nexus 4.

And whilst I initially thought a fingerprint reader was a dealbreaker (I just love that on my iPad) shitty rear readers and the talk about poor security on android readers (and things like storing fingerprint images on said phones) have me skittish about it on Android. At least at this point.

So if the fingerprint reader isn't a deal breaker, the Moto X Play seems like a excellent choice with its battery, sd card support and Motorolas, so far, decent OS support.

Groof

Battery is super important for me these days. I commute every day and the N5 battery is almost halfway through once I'm off the train. Even if I don't use it I'm down 10-15%. N preview 3 has done nothing for my battery life.
I do on the other hand have a lot of apps syncing. Damn messaging apps. So N5 2015 better being the battery or I might have to pass up usb c.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Battery is super important for me these days. I commute every day and the N5 battery is almost halfway through once I'm off the train. Even if I don't use it I'm down 10-15%. N preview 3 has done nothing for my battery life.
I do on the other hand have a lot of apps syncing. Damn messaging apps. So N5 2015 better being the battery or I might have to pass up usb c.
A long daily train ride is when a portable battery is acceptable.

Amazon UK are now shipping the Moto X Play, but I can't find any decent reviews on the web. There was one from Recombu where this one line completely put me off:

Motorola has packed a mighty 3630mAh battery inside the Moto X Play, but this phone can’t quite match the LG G4 and Sony’s Xperia Z3 for longevity.

If a 615/2gb/FHD phone with 3630mah battery can't outlast the G4 then something has gone horribly wrong.

VoxPop

Does mAh even really convert to battery life? I remember a friend of mine bought one of those 5000mAh batteries for his GS4(?) and it barely lasted a day. I thought it was just another bullshit spec like when people compare their cameras by megapixels.

kami_sama

Does mAh even really convert to battery life? I remember a friend of mine bought one of those 5000mAh batteries for his GS4(?) and it barely lasted a day. I thought it was just another bullshit spec like when people compare their cameras by megapixels.

mAh is the unit to measure the energy inside a battery, so, yes it's directly correlated to battery life.

Hasney

It does matter, but software optimisation is much better. Like that lasting a day thing would be a goddamn miracle on my Galaxy S4 with the stock battery. I'd have thought there was a god and he touched my phone to make it charge when I wasn't looking.

Schlep

Ad on GSM Arena hijacked Chrome on my PC earlier and just now tried to install an apk. Ignoring that site until they fix their shit.

terrier

Dear God that backside is terrible.

Did you just say Kias are equivalent to BMW or Audi?

This explains everything.

Did i say that? English isn't my native language but i can't see where i say such a thing (and i think it could be debatable)
Even if Kia in comparable models, made the better car, BMW or Audi or Mercedes would be the ones most people would choose because they have 'something', status whatever it is called that KIA lacks. That is why Toyota or Honda, that make at least comparable, and some times even better cars, than those popular brands, had to introduce separate 'luxury' brands like Lexus. And that is what Apple has and other manufacturers don't, regardless of the product and its quality (and really, it is fanboy level pretending to put Iphones above anything else: great phones with their pros and cons like every other in the market)

Mindwipe

My Z3C died completely overnight. No idea why. Serves me right for saying it had been okay in the Xperia fragility thread.

If it's as slow as last time that'll make it a month the phone has been out of my hands for in a year of ownership. That's not okay.

Mindwipe

screen-shot-2015-08-24-at-14-45-54.png

*uses quick math*
That's 22 days and 5 hours of standby time.
*finds a puppy to hug*

Imagine a device with 3 GB of RAM... on Android M. Sony Z3/Z3C battery could be the best ever after Android M. Shout out to Google for addressing battery life.

I'm not sure it will make much difference. Aren't the changes in M mostly a stock implementation of the existing Xperia stamina mode? I don't think they'll add much to M, other than more common software support.

this is true - the results from many Xperia devices are ass

but hey, maybe this is hope?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony...l-come-with-a-hybrid-autofocus-system_id72998

Depends, that's hardware again. The issue is primarily that the software is junk. Fix shit like the metering in auto mode being junk, using HDR requiring you to unlock the device (WHY????), or make it possible to go directly into manual mode from the camera button.

If the lens could have a decent polariser this time that would help too.

Hasney

I'm not sure it will make much difference. Aren't the changes in M mostly a stock implementation of the existing Xperia stamina mode? I don't think they'll add much to M, other than more common software support.

Yeah, the deep sleep stuff is like Xperia phones and that seems to make the biggest difference in M.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony cameras annoy me greatly. the software managing them is complete trash. Iphone/sammy use sony sensors yet produce better pics. Not to mention the pathetic low light performance and overexposure issues. Seriously sort this shit out sony, companies using your sensors are delivering better results than you. Its fucking ridiculous

Then add in that Sony have a camera division that produces nice images from the NEX and Alpha lines.

So they have the hardware *and* they have the software. They just don't join the two up.

(Yes I realise the NEX and alphas use dedicated hardware to handle post processing and that wouldn't translate directly to android. But the code is there - they know how to convert the raw data from the chip into a good quality image. They could translate that to android or even pop in a small bionz processor)

terrier

Then add in that Sony have a camera division that produces nice images from the NEX and Aloha lines.

So they have the hardware *and* they have the software. They just don't join the two up.

(Yes I realise the NEX and alphas use dedicated hardware to handle post processing and that wouldn't translate directly to android. But the code is there - they know how to convert the raw data from the chip into a good quality image. They could translate that to android or even pop in a small bionz processor)

didn't xperia z series already have bionz processors?

These things make no sense, you should expect from sony at least equiparable picture quality to other flagships, but it clearly lags behind

I might have to pass up usb c and fingerprint if the battery isn't decent and get a goddamn moto x play or something. Same boat for me. Between transportation and the amount of messaging I do it at work it just drains too fast. I could charge at work but it's an inconvenience.

I might have to pass up usb c and fingerprint if the battery isn't decent and get a goddamn moto x play or something. Same boat for me. Between transportation and the amount of messaging I do it at work it just drains too fast. I could charge at work but it's an inconvenience.

Charging at work stopped being an inconvenience for me, once I put a Qi charger on my desk.

Man, I'd really like the Moto X Style, if it just had Qi charging. It's basically what I described in the "Your Perfect Phone" thread.
It was actually a 5" Nexus 6, but it's not like there's a difference

Charging stopped being an inconvenience for me, once I put a Qi charger on my desk.

Man, I'd really like the Moto X Style, if it just had Qi charging. It's basically what I described in the "Your Perfect Phone" thread.
It was actually a 5" Nexus 6, but it's not like there's a difference
my work got rid of individual desks a while ago meaning anyone can sit anywhere on a given day so I'd have to plug in the wireless charger every day :/

I like the play more than the style in the end. Smaller and much better battery life. I hate that it's 2gb of ram though instead of 3. Like pls.

Remember how everyone here was buying Google's bullshit about lollipop having better battery than KitKat? That was great.

They never really made those claims with Lollipop, though. All they said was they were adding energy saving mode for consumers and giving developers a shit ton more battery stats for their apps. Lollipop left it up to the developers to optimize battery usage, which was silly and never going to really work. Now, with Marshmallow, Google is tackling stand by mode drain directly.

Mind you, my understanding is that you need to have the device motionless for it to kick in (sitting on your desk at work for example). If it's on you, it doesn't really work. Hence why some are reporting little difference with M. But, they are finally fixing the mobile radio drain in the final M, so who knows...

my work got rid of individual desks a while ago meaning anyone can sit anywhere on a given day so I'd have to plug in the wireless charger every day :/

I like the play more than the style in the end. Smaller and much better battery life. I hate that it's 2gb of ram though instead of 3. Like pls.

I see. Then you might as well use a regular charger. How annoying.

And holy shit, I completely forgot that the Style is 5.7". Not that the 5.5" of the Play are much better. But it is smaller, you're right. However, they're both much bigger than my current Nexus 5, which is ridiculous, when you consider the original premise of the Moto X (2013).

Hasney

Yeah, we moved to fucking hotdesks at work too. Even though I still sit at the same place every day, we have a bollocks clear desk policy so I couldn't leave a wirelss charger up in hurrrrr.

Yeah, we moved to fucking hotdesks at work too. Even though I still sit at the same place every day, we have a bollocks clear desk policy so I couldn't leave a wirelss charger up in hurrrrr.

Sounds like there are only two solutions to this terrible problem.

• buy a Samsung monitor with build-in Qi charging in the stand
  • drill a hole into the desk and put an Ikea Qi charger in it
To make this more acceptable, force all OEMs to include it in their upcoming phones.

See? It's just that easy

I also sit in the same place but can't put anything on it for the same reason lol

We call that an "agile workplace" here.
It really sucks. We have work areas, lounge areas, social areas, meeting areas. But it's all kinda awkward when everyone is just....there. I like something in between open concept and closed.

I see. Then you might as well use a regular charger. How annoying.

And holy shit, I completely forgot that the Style is 5.7". Not that the 5.5" of the Play are much better. But it is smaller, you're right. However, they're both much bigger than my current Nexus 5, which is ridiculous, when you consider the original premise of the Moto X (2013).
it really is the worst offense. The x play would be killer if it stayed at 5.2.

Does the X Play not come with more than 16GB internal storage?? Sure it has micro SD support but still.
there's a 32gb version no?

Quixzlizx

Yeah. That battery really is a big plus for it. And the lack of one is the big pain point for me with my existing Nexus 4.

And whilst I initially thought a fingerprint reader was a dealbreaker (I just love that on my iPad) shitty rear readers and the talk about poor security on android readers (and things like storing fingerprint images on said phones) have me skittish about it on Android. At least at this point.

So if the fingerprint reader isn't a deal breaker, the Moto X Play seems like a excellent choice with its battery, sd card support and Motorolas, so far, decent OS support.

I'm pretty sure that has to do with dumbass OEMs and not Android itself.

Top Bottom