• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

VoxPop

... you do realize Sony sold off the VAIO brand over a year ago, right? :)

And many people care about a top of the line smartphone camera. If you don't have your badass, high end camera with you and only have your phone, you want to make sure it does a damn good job.

Yeah I heard they were making a return but didn't realize they were an independent company now. Camera is definitely important to me but there are bigger worries over at Sony than a good smartphone camera.

vivftp

Yeah I heard they were making a return but didn't realize they were an independent company now. Camera is definitely important to me but there are bigger worries over at Sony than a good smartphone camera.

I'd say their biggest worry is marketing.

Design is getting a bit old, but it's not like they're the only phone company using similar designs with small changes. Even though I've never had a problem with the glass design cracking, I wouldn't mind a different material for the back like metal.

The battery on their Z phones is already amazing, so they just have to stay the course there.

The displays are great, but there's always room for improvement. If rumours about a 4K display on the Z5+ are true, then... damn...

The cameras definitely leave room for improvement. The Z5 should be the first major update to their cameras in a few generations, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform. The M5 camera already sets the bar for the absolute minimum camera performance we should expect from the Z5, and it's already pretty decent.

Features like waterproofing are still a great feature to set themselves apart as no other major brands are doing it on the same scale as Sony. PS4 remote play is also pretty nifty... hope to try it one day.

Me? I'm probably going to sit back and see what comes out later. According to XperiaBlog, there will be a larger Z5 variant due out later this year, but due to the delay it might not get an IFA announcement. I'd love for a phone with S820 in it, but that would likely mean having to wait until late next year for a larger phone with it (be it an Ultra, or Plus, or whatever).

Ah well, wait and see. At least my Z Ultra is still chugging along nicely, so I'm not desperate to upgrade right now.

Ty4on

The text Google suggests is Korean while the text in the background is Chinese.

The strange lines around the logo probably has something to do with the boxes JPEG compression uses.
05%20JPEG3.jpg

Edit: The nexus logo doesn't look straight though.

Talon

Meh. As much as I love Sony, they should be focusing on other things and not their faltering Xperia line. If it's going to be something revolutionary, throw all that money into Vaio RND.

3x USB Type C ports
1440p touchscreen display
incredible battery
incredible trackpad
incredible keyboard
incredible laptop speakers
aluminum/carbon fiber build
remote ps4 play
seamless DS4 integration and holster

best windows laptop on the market

Unless the Xperia is getting something truly special and a redesign, I just see it as a waste of money. Who cares about a top of the line smartphone camera. Those people would buy a real camera instead.
You're going to want to sit down for this.

Sony sold off the VAIO brand.

Schlep

I think this year is the first time where this is the slightest bit true. The OnePlus 1 was really good, but you needed an invite for the longest time. Outside of that, your choices were either bottom tier garbage or a Lumia.

Now this year there are several phones that are 'good enough' at $200-400, but they're still lacking, in my mind, pretty important features that top end phones have. Later this year into next year is when it's the beginning of the end for the high end.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
David Ruddock ‏@RDR0b11 8m minutes ago

So of course I immediately tried to put the S Pen in the Note 5 backward to see how easy it is to do. It's very easy. And it got stuck.

David Ruddock ‏@RDR0b11 8m8 minutes ago

After wriggling it free (carefully!), the S Pen detection mechanism is now broken. Phone just says the pen is detached no matter what.

David Ruddock ‏@RDR0b11 8m minutes ago

I cannot for the life of me how Samsung would let this kind of design flaw get past basic testing. Just, wow.

It's not just him either. It's happening everywhere: http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-5-pro-tip-insert-s-pen-pointy-end-first

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/569378-don-t-put-your-pen-backwards.html

Samsung. Remember. People are idiots

Quick question, guys:

I'm currently using the 2013 Moto X that my cousin loaned me after my Z3C shat the bed. How much bigger is the Moto X Play and Style/Pure over it? Cause this '13 Moto X is the absolute perfect size for me.

zewone

Quick question, guys:

I'm currently using the 2013 Moto X that my cousin loaned me after my Z3C shat the bed. How much bigger is the Moto X Play and Style/Pure over it? Cause this '13 Moto X is the absolute perfect size for me.

Play is .8" larger diagonally and the Style is 1.0" inch larger diagonally.

Anyone who has had any sort of customer facing tech job knows that most people who aren't savvy at all about anything tech related don't think at all. They just do...things.

Someone not thinking and just shoving the pen in is something I could see a lot of people doing.

Furyous

screen-shot-2015-08-24-at-14-45-54.png

*uses quick math*
That's 22 days and 5 hours of standby time.
*finds a puppy to hug*

Imagine a device with 3 GB of RAM... on Android M. Sony Z3/Z3C battery could be the best ever after Android M. Shout out to Google for addressing battery life.

DarkFlow

Banned
I've never had a Note before, but I have never even considered putting it the wrong way (at least I think I wouldn't). WTF is wrong with people?

I have a note 3, but I can see someone doing it if you're not paying attention. The fact that it's so easy to fuck up is the problem really. Also now that it's known, I can see some jackass friends fucking up people's phones for the lulz.

It looks like Sony's begun teasing their eveny on September 2nd:

"Get ready for a smartphone with greater focus. All will become clear on 02.09.2015"

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonyxperiagb/status/635851614083878912/photo/1
Sony cameras annoy me greatly. the software managing them is complete trash. Iphone/sammy use sony sensors yet produce better pics. Not to mention the pathetic low light performance and overexposure issues. Seriously sort this shit out sony, companies using your sensors are delivering better results than you. Its fucking ridiculous

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sony cameras annoy me greatly. the software managing them is complete trash. Iphone/sammy use sony sensors yet produce better pics. Not to mention the pathetic low light performance and overexposure issues. Seriously sort this shit out sony, companies using your sensors are delivering better results than you. Its fucking ridiculous

this is true - the results from many Xperia devices are ass

but hey, maybe this is hope?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony...l-come-with-a-hybrid-autofocus-system_id72998

Software matters breh

VoxPop

So is the Note 5 the last "good" phone of 2015?

The Passport / Venice are appealing and I would love some more info.

Sony being Sony and the Nexii both look like a miscarriage.

When is the HTC M10 supposed to surface?

nexus phones were always gonna be the last ones to look out for.

Jigolo

I'll give you one guess when the M10 is supposed to surface. You can do this, I know you can.

jwk94

Moto X Style drops next week so we can't be for sure.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Imagine a device with 3 GB of RAM... on Android M.
I don't have to imagine. I'm holding my Nexus 6 right now.

Korean culture is just to build. Don't think about the refinement or polish. Just build to a spec. It's absurd but that mentality explains so much about the crappy UX of Korean products.

it goes in backwards on the 4 too! i just tried. went halfway and stopped as i don't want to break the detection mechanism on phone.

not so for the Note II though.the S Pen on that has a lip that prevents it.

edit: bah whatever... went as far as i could and it goes in like 5/6 of the way on the Note 4 before it can't go any more.

VoxPop

I don't have to imagine. I'm holding my Nexus 6 right now.

Korean culture is just to build. Don't think about the refinement or polish. Just build to a spec. It's absurd but that mentality explains so much about the crappy UX of Korean products.

mm you could probably say that about every phone manufacturer minus Apple not just LG/Samsung

It's not that difficult, you know. User shaming in this particular instance isn't warranted.

i have never put in my S Pen the wrong way before today and i freely say that this is indeed a bonehead decision. it simply should not fit the wrong way. that is an absolutely terrible design choice.

Mortemis

Banned
So I decided to hop on the M developer preview 3 on my Nexus 5 and its all going well. I've had only onenapp crash on me (textra), but everything's running fine and smooth. We'll see how battery life turns out.

Yeah, we just started selling the damn thing on Friday and already had a guy come in yesterday with that problem. Made me feel bad for him honestly, but still made me confused as to why anyone would try this.

it goes in backwards on the 4 too! i just tried. went halfway and stopped as i don't want to break the detection mechanism on phone.

not so for the Note II though.the S Pen on that has a lip that prevents it.

edit: bah whatever... went as far as i could and it goes in like 5/6 of the way on the Note 4 before it can't go any more.

Oh God I just tried it on my Note4 and I was able to fit it almost all the way in backwards too. No that's not lewd.

LMAO Samsung let's try to idiot proof a little better okay?

Top Bottom