• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I know design is subjective and all, but why does Motorola insist on making the speaker grill/line on their phones visible? It's the uglies part of all their phones. It's so awful. At least give it the same color as the front and try to make it blend in, but don't make it silver. Ew.

drlJKq2.jpg

How can anyone look at that and say it's a good and sensible design decision?
And why do I always have to be right about this and professional industry and product designers so wrong? Jesus!

Volotaire

I know design is subjective and all, but why does Motorola insist on making the speaker grill/line on their phones visible? It's the uglies part of all their phones. It's so awful. At least give it the same color as the front and try to make it blend in, but don't make it silver. Ew.

drlJKq2.jpg

And why do I always have to be right about this and professional industry and product designers so wrong? Jesus!

I dislike it too.

Yeah, it's really ugly but this is the company that thinks the flat tire look on a smart watch is acceptable so I'm not surprised.

Tbh, I'd rather they just give up on front facing speakers cause it just ruins the look of their phones.

jwk94

Fucking Verizon -_-
That bloat ware is awful.

drlJKq2.jpg

I actually like the speaker grills. Didn't they take those away from the Moto G?

Saiyan-Rox

drlJKq2.jpg

I actually like the grills

I don't like the 2 dots on the bottom one though

Quixzlizx

I guess I'm lucky that I don't care what the phone looks like, considering I put a case on mine anyway. One less potential reason to declare a skip year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my work got rid of individual desks a while ago meaning anyone can sit anywhere on a given day so I'd have to plug in the wireless charger every day :/

I like the play more than the style in the end. Smaller and much better battery life. I hate that it's 2gb of ram though instead of 3. Like pls.

Offices should provide micro USB chargers at desks as standard. As important as a normal AC outlet these days.

They never really made those claims with Lollipop, though. All they said was they were adding energy saving mode for consumers and giving developers a shit ton more battery stats for their apps. Lollipop left it up to the developers to optimize battery usage, which was silly and never going to really work. Now, with Marshmallow, Google is tackling stand by mode drain directly.

Mind you, my understanding is that you need to have the device motionless for it to kick in (sitting on your desk at work for example). If it's on you, it doesn't really work. Hence why some are reporting little difference with M. But, they are finally fixing the mobile radio drain in the final M, so who knows...

Is there any difference between lollipop's energy saving options and Xperia's stamina modes? Almost too many options for battery saving on an Xperia now but I'd like to choose the best option. Right now I just have stamina kick in around 15% battery, but allow email to still run in the background, and queue up background processes.

Loving that Edge service, Verizon Voice Mail, Verizon Messenger, and awesome Verizon + Droid logo. You didn't even need to add them from the app drawer. They are all readily available!

Devices with support for Advanced Calling (VoLTE) get upgraded to Visual Voice Mail when they activate that. The Verizon Voice Mail app then serves as the Visual Voice Mail box. It used to be decorative bloat, now it has a function.

The Verizon Messages app is something I actually tried and liked, I posted about it a few pages back. I was as surprised as anyone else would have been here to find out it is better than the Samsung messenger app and Hangouts which is a huge pile of shit. The Verizon app is the only way to send text and MMS over WiFi on Verizon's network, because fuck you that's why. I would even be mad about it if I didn't unexpectedly like it so much.

There's a lot of shitty bloat I had to disable on my Note 4 but those 2 things in particular I have left enabled and even use. You want to bitch about bloat, let's talk about shit like VZ Navigator and wonder why anyone would pay to use that shit when Google Maps is free. Or better yet let's ask why DT Ignite is on my phone, how about a nice cup of fuck off Verizon.

VoxPop

Devices with support for Advanced Calling (VoLTE) get upgraded to Visual Voice Mail when they activate that. The Verizon Voice Mail app then serves as the Visual Voice Mail box. It used to be decorative bloat, now it has a function.

The Verizon Messages app is something I actually tried and liked, I posted about it a few pages back. I was as surprised as anyone else would have been here to find out it is better than the Samsung messenger app and Hangouts which is a huge pile of shit. The Verizon app is the only way to send text and MMS over WiFi on Verizon's network, because fuck you that's why. I would even be mad about it if I didn't unexpectedly like it so much.

I always found Visual Voicemail a clusterfuck on Android when its so well done natively on iOS. Not all that surprising to me that the Verizon Messaging app is better than the other garbage SMS/Messaging apps on Android like Samsung's and Hangouts. They really need a good native SMS app made by Google (no, Messenger is not even close)

Look at these awesome apps to get you started. You can't delete them without rooting btw

Caller Name ID ($2.99/mo)

VZ Navigator ($4.99/mo)

Verizon Cloud

Verizon Support & Protection

Verizon Mobile Hotspot

My Verizon Mobile

Amazon Kindle
Amazon Music
Amazon Appstore
Facebook
iHeart Radio
Candy Crush Soda
Cookie Jam
Panda Pop
IMDB
Instagram
NFL Mobile
Slacker
Uber

that value

JudgeN

Question any internet browsers that support download to SD?

Tried Dolphin and it can't access my SD card on Asus Zenpad S 8.0. Seems odd that in 2015 I can't download directly to my SD slot.

I always found Visual Voicemail a clusterfuck on Android when its so well done natively on iOS. Not all that surprising to me that the Verizon Messaging app is better than the other garbage SMS/Messaging apps on Android like Samsung's and Hangouts. They really need a good native SMS app made by Google (no, Messenger is not even close)

Look at these awesome apps to get you started. You can't delete them without rooting btw

Caller Name ID ($2.99/mo)

VZ Navigator ($4.99/mo)

Verizon Cloud

Verizon Support & Protection

Verizon Mobile Hotspot

My Verizon Mobile

Amazon Kindle
Amazon Music
Amazon Appstore
Facebook
iHeart Radio
Candy Crush Soda
Cookie Jam
Panda Pop
IMDB
Instagram
NFL Mobile
Slacker
Uber

that value

The good news is I disabled most of that and discovered that most of it is stubs which use no space on the phone. This is better than before when you would eat precious internal memory for all that garbage.

Not being able to truly uninstall it sucks though, the DT Ignite always lurking like herpes just waiting to reactivate when I receive an OTA update is infuriating.

Talon

._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._.

"I welcome judgment."
._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._. ._.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I really want a phone with a rear e ink screen. Too bad the Russian one died. This one looks too underspeced for me.

Nexus 6 speaker grills are great for trapping lint.

MarkusRJR

I would love to have a flip phone with an e-ink screen as a secondary phone. Would last like a month on battery.

E-ink really doesn't make sense on modern smartphones though. Too much animation and scrolling for it to be viable as anything other than a weird secondary screen like on the Yotaphone and that one above.

BTW, random question: Do you guys know of a good cheap dumbphone that last a long time on battery? Looking at getting something for my dad (only uses his phone for calls and occasional texts). I was thinking of getting one of those credit card style slim phones, but I don't know where to buy one or if they only support 2G? My dad's carrier doesn't have any kind of 2G compatibility (only 3G in 850/1900 bands).

Samsung USA said:
We highly recommend our Galaxy Note 5 users follow the instructions in the user guide to ensure there are no issues
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...en-inserted-backward-or-get-hopelessly-stuck/

That's a terrible response. Also, the instruction manual for the Note 5 warns against this very thing, but the manual of the Note 4 doesn't... For those of you that don't read, both Unknown Soldier and myself tried this on a Note 4 and it goes in about 5/6 of the way but doesn't get stuck or damage the pen removal sensor.

TLDR; they knew and released it like that anyway :(

drlJKq2.jpg

Lol I been thinking the same for a long time. Uggo.

Nikodemos

The Xperia M5 looks mighty impressive for a midrange Android device. Might wait a year and nab it for cheap once my lock-in expires.

zewone

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...en-inserted-backward-or-get-hopelessly-stuck/

That's a terrible response. Also, the instruction manual for the Note 5 warns against this very thing, but the manual of the Note 4 doesn't... For those of you that don't read, both Unknown Soldier and myself tried this on a Note 4 and it goes in about 5/6 of the way but doesn't get stuck or damage the pen removal sensor.

TLDR; they knew and released it like that anyway :(

They should recall all Note 5s and destroy all their inventory until this issue is fixed and a new batch of Note 5s with idiot proof pens can be manufactured.

I'd rather get a moto X play over a OP2 any day of the week. 2016 flagship killer pls.

Still waiting on that goddamn nexus battery leak. It's almost september :(

Top Bottom