• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hattori

Banned
http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/lg-nexus-5-leak-hardware-specs-48424/
nexus-5-lg.jpg

"...the above leak claims that the July prototypes of LG Nexus 5 were powered by a Snapdragon 808 SoC and featuring a 5.2-inch 2K display, 3GB of LPDDR3 RAM and a 13MP IMX278 Sony sensor."

kami_sama

I hoped for 4 GB of ram. And I think a 1440p display (let's not call that 2k) in a 5.2 inch display is overkill.
Also, I hoped for a 620 inside. Almost the same cpu power, but it has the benefit of having four A72 cores, as opposed to 2 A57 in the 808. We still don'r know anything about the gpu, though, but I've always read the 808's gpu is not very good.

Hasney

It's a good GPU, more than enough grunt as it's comparable to the 805's. Just not as good as the 810s. Probably still better than the 620s in terms of speed.

Toki767

If you told me that the Moto X Play were to disappoint in the stupidest ways possible.

Well, I would believe you. It is Motorola after all.

Yep, no gyro. Shame, because there won't be vr or photosferes.
Seriously? No gyro? That's lame ... was that known before launch?

Well, i was more keen on the Moto X Style, looks like that one has a gyro ... at least.
Although those rumored N5-2 specs look really solid, only thing missing is a battery with enough power.

Decision, decision ...

ajpw

Uhm, don't you need a gyroscope to have the phone know if it's vertically oriented or sideways? How is screen rotation supposed to work without one?

No you just need an accelerometer for that. I have the play and not missing the gyroscope, the huge battery more than makes up for it

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The One Minus Two is such a terrible, compromised phone. Yet somehow the people who want it are so blinded to its massive compromises and One Plus's horrible behavior. The OMT is only good as a scarlet letter for poors.

Mindwipe

I can't fathom that there's a device shipping without a gyro in 2015. Apps should be able to rely on things like that as basic platform functionality.

terrier

No you just need an accelerometer for that. I have the play and not missing the gyroscope, the huge battery more than makes up for it

other sensors may help for screen rotation but not sure how things like photo sphere (sure only a few use it but ...) would work without it, or other apps that may need it like some games

Admodieus

If that Nexus 5-2 has a 3000+ mAh battery I'm all in on it. Sadly, that means I probably won't get one until December or January as a lot of other people will want it to and Google never has enough ready for the launch.

Nikodemos

808? Lawd this is a bad year for OEM SoCs.
Nothing wrong with the 808. Its sustained output is higher than the 810's. The only downside is a somewhat weaker iGPU (128 ALUs compared to 192), but since those eat up a lot of thermal envelope, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

808/620 are best case scenarios to me when it comes to SOC. I don't believe that rumour though. Not sure why but I just don't. I just want something reliable and more specific.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why would the 2015 Nexus 5 out class the 2014 Nexus 6

giga

808 is a fine chipset. We just need to know the price.

Nothing wrong with the 808. Its sustained output is higher than the 810's. The only downside is a somewhat weaker iGPU (128 ALUs compared to 192), but since those eat up a lot of thermal envelope, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
The Nexus is supposed to showcase the bleeding edge of processing power. The 808 is not that.

76158.png

The G4 came out in April. It's sad if a late autumn device would be using the same chip.

Admodieus

The Nexus is supposed to showcase the bleeding edge of processing power. The 808 is not that.

76158.png

Bleeding edge? Nexus is a reference design device. At times, it has some very powerful hardware, but there's also been times when it is most decidedly NOT bleeding edge (Nexus 4 lacking 4G LTE capabilities).

SOC is whatever. Look at Moto X play reviews. Pretty much everyone agrees it's good enough and that's packing a gatdamn 615.

The performance that really needed to improve was battery and camera over previous nexus phones.

Hasney

76158.png

The G4 came out in April. It's sad if a late autumn device would be using the same chip.

Not when it's the budget model compared to the full-fat Nexus 5.7. Has anyone even dared to put the 810 into a compact phone to feel the heat?

giga

Bleeding edge? Nexus is a reference design device. At times, it has some very powerful hardware, but there's also been times when it is most decidedly NOT bleeding edge (Nexus 4 lacking 4G LTE capabilities).
And that was its fatal flaw. An 808 "reference design" has a slower GPU than the Note 4 and Nexus 6.

Admodieus

And that was its fatal flaw.

If you want to blame someone or something, blame the hardware for putting them in a position where they have to choose between bleeding edge or heat concerns in a compact (5.2") form factor. An 808 is plenty for me, I'll be coming from a Moto X 2013.

Hasney

And that was its fatal flaw. An 808 "reference design" has a slower GPU than the Note 4 and Nexus 6.

Well the choice was basically wait until there's a good chip next year at some point, or launch now. Judging by the thirst of people that want a new Nexus 5, I think this was the best decision they could make.

giga

If you want to blame someone or something, blame the hardware for putting them in a position where they have to choose between bleeding edge or heat concerns in a compact (5.2") form factor. An 808 is plenty for me, I'll be coming from a Moto X 2013.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Blaming the hardware (chip makers). If apple can make the a8 work in a 4.7" frame, so can other chip makers.

Nikodemos

That's exactly what I'm doing. Blaming the hardware (chip makers). If apple can make the a8 work in a 4.7" frame, so can other chip makers.
Let's face it, the A8 would never have enough brute force to properly run the shitty bloatfest called Android.

Android user here, and quite satisfied with my Xperia M2.

808 and a QHD screen? Yuck.

It shouldve been 1080p.

If that leak is legit, then the original Android Police rumor is 100% spot on.

That means... 2,700mAh.

Skip year, indeed.

Hasney

Let's face it, the A8 would never have enough brute force to properly run the shitty bloatfest called Android.

Android user here, and quite satisfied with my Xperia M2.

Yeah, Apple can make it work by having such little RAM. That memory has gotta go somewhere and will generate its own heat.

808 and a QHD screen? Yuck.

It shouldve been 1080p.

If that leak is legit, then the original Android Police rumor is 100% spot on.

That means... 2,700mAh.

Skip year, indeed.
the OG android police rumour said that the soc and battery capacity were undecided. Also we've had far more leaks saying 1080p than 2K.

That's why I just want something from a solid source for a change. And more detailed.

Nicktendo86

The 808 is fine, especially with stock Android.

I am pretty torn. I would like the N5 due to the screen size, USB-C and fingerprint but those are not really deal breakers for me. On the other hand, the Moto X Style has the Moto features I love plus micro SD. I think the Moto is the way to go for me.

terrier

maybe the two nexus strategy is to offer a decent affordable midranger Nexus that should behave well due to stock android and a more expensive Nexus with the most advanced SoC .

I do not know if 808 SoC or 805 if it was the case (i wonder why they choose the former) has chances to outperform or reach similar performance as unthrotled 810 (or Exynos on the S6/Note5) when using a 1080p display

I think many people (of those who buy Nexus phones) would make the N5 2013 --> N5 2015 jump, i guess the 808 plus the additional 1GB RAM are certainly a noticeable upgrade.

I was just reading rumors about a possible announcement/reveal of the iPhone 6s on september 9th ... wouldn't that be a perfect moment for Google to ... at least ... share some details about the new Nexus-flagships?

Top Bottom