• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

giga

Who said that?
That's the expectation they've set. No previous nexus devices would fail to beat year old devices or even the preceding nexus device.

If this is their way of going back to their value pricing though, then I can forgive that since money is pretty hard to come by for android oems.

Nikodemos

That's the expectation they've set. No previous nexus devices would fail to beat year old devices or even the preceding nexus device.

If this is their way of going back to their value pricing though, then I can forgive that since money is pretty hard to come by for android oems.
I suspect Google have realised people aren't willing to pay significant amounts of money for Android phones anymore, so rather than put out a bleeding edge phone very few will buy, they'd put out something at a more frugal price, even if it means compromising on performance.

Wreav

Banned
People complain that the N6 was too expensive, and that the Nexus program isn't supposed to match the flagships.

People complain that the N5-2 is underpowered and isn't matching the flagships.

Android.

No you just need an accelerometer for that. I have the play and not missing the gyroscope, the huge battery more than makes up for it
But accelerometer is just linear based acceleration measurement system. I doubt any creative type of accelerometer workaround is going to sufficiently compensate for loss of gravitational based quantification from gyro, ie stuff like angular rotational sensitivity or tilt orientation. What about games that need to incorporate both for effective gameplay? Any workaround to mask such deficiency is going to feel sluggish or just fucking meh in general. Well, I suppose gamers aren’t their target audience with this midranger, but then why name it Moto “Play” in the first place? Moto “No Play” seems more apt.

I can't fathom that there's a device shipping without a gyro in 2015. Apps should be able to rely on things like that as basic platform functionality.
Yup I agree. No gyro in this day and age, is a far bigger handicap than no NFC imo. What’s interesting out of this development, is to see how some people or sites with partisan-like penchant for certain OEMs, attempt to trivialize this or just stay mum on the issue instead of bigging up this design flaw. No, instead we’re inundated with classics such as a square peg in round hole type of sensationalism, no thanks in part to user stupidity, carelessness, or just plain inability to read a fucking manual.

Nikodemos

^^^^ There are loads of games where gyro controls are just plain better/more intuitive than touch-based. Not to mention compass/bubble level style apps.

No gyro is a really braindead decision.

Admodieus

^^^^ There are loads of games where gyro controls are just plain better/more intuitive than touch-based. Not to mention compass/bubble level style apps.

No gyro is a really braindead decision.

Yeah, can't believe they left it out. Just re-affirms the Droid Life article/MKBHD video that there's always some major drawback about Android phones this year.

Nikodemos

Yeah, can't believe they left it out. Just re-affirms the Droid Life article/MKBHD video that there's always some major drawback about Android phones this year.
The Xperia M5 I've mentioned above seems mostly drawback-free. MediaTek Helio X10, 3 GB RAM, 16 GB storage + Micro SDXC support, IP65/68 water/dust resistant, 2600 mAh battery (bigger than the M2 and M4's), 1080p display, 21.5 Mp main camera, 13 Mp frontal camera... I dunno, seems legit.

Maiar_m

The Xperia M5 I've mentioned above seems mostly drawback-free. MediaTek Helio X10, 3 GB RAM, 16 GB storage + Micro SDXC support, IP65/68 water/dust resistant, 2600 mAh battery (bigger than the M2 and M4's), 1080p display, 21.5 Mp main camera, 13 Mp frontal camera... I dunno, seems legit.

Pricing, screen-size, battery-life (that's still a relatively small battery), non-stock android etc etc... It's fairly easy to find something to be unhappy about, every time.

Nikodemos

Pricing, screen-size, battery-life (that's still a relatively small battery), non-stock android etc etc... It's fairly easy to find something to be unhappy about, every time.
What's wrong with a 5'' display? I find everything above it too big, since I carry my phone in my trouser pocket. And Sony's UI is one of the least intrusive ones out there (with Sense and whatever LG's is called being top).

Battery does nudge close to mediocre, but it is higher than Sony's previous M series phones (2300 M2, 2400 M4 Aqua), despite remaining a rather light device (lighter at 142.5 g than my 148 g M2, though admittedly heavier than the 136 g M4 Aqua).

Sony has generally priced its lower tier phones relatively competitively, and carriers around here routinely offer discount coupons for ordering phones online.

So am I the only one who loves the look of the new nexus. I was going to keep my phone, buy I might upgrade just for the 5-2

I need to see proper pictures of the Nexus 5. So far I can't say that I love it, but I don't dislike it as much as the Huawei.

Yeah, but I bet even they didn't think that a missing gyro in 2015 would be one of the drawbacks.

No wireless charging.

Maiar_m

What's wrong with a 5'' display? I find everything above it too big, since I carry my phone in my trouser pocket. And Sony's UI is one of the least intrusive ones out there (with Sense and whatever LG's is called being top).

Battery does nudge close to mediocre, but it is higher than Sony's previous M series phones (2300 M2, 2400 M4 Aqua), despite remaining a rather light device (lighter at 142.5 g than my 148 g M2, though admittedly heavier than the 136 g M4 Aqua).

Sony has generally priced its lower tier phones relatively competitively, and carriers around here routinely offer discount coupons for ordering phones online.

Oh I'm with you on the 5" display front, I already think I look stupid with bricks that large in my jeans pockets. I'm just saying : what you think hits all the right spots is a disappointment to others. There has never been a perfect smartphone because of that. If there were one, then it'd have to be cheap (perfection = widest appeal) and even then you'd have the pleb-haters such as BBoy dismissing it because it'd lack "premium status".

Everytime you buy gear you just have to consider which compromises you're comfortable with. Can you spend two years not using VR / fingerprint reader / USB C? Moto X Play is the perfect smartphone! Can you spend two years with half an A330 plane in your pocket / no NFC ? OP2 is the perfect phone! You get my drift.

Nikodemos

No wireless charging.
You're asking for what is still a flagship-level option in a device that's decidedly mid-range. And not even all flagships come with it default: on the G4 you have to perform a bit of creative surgery on the backplate in order to enable it.

EmiPrime

I could not care less about the SOC in the Nexus 5 as long as it doesn't overheat. Battery and camera are far more important, hopefully we'll get more info on those soon.

Whatever SOC is in the 2013 model still runs great.

Admodieus

I would say there are definitely tiers of what I am happy/unhappy about.

Tier 1 (aka must have):
  • Good battery (currently 3000+ mAh for a 5.2" device)
  • Good camera (S6, G4, presumably the new Moto's qualify)
  • Stock or near stock Android (Xperia would qualify here)
  • Fingerprint reader
  • NFC

Tier 2 (Nice to have):
  • SD card slot
  • Removable battery
  • Screen size between 4.7" and 5.2"
  • Wireless charging

Tier 3 (don't care either way)
  • Waterproof
  • 2K or 4K display
  • Quick charging

For me, it's more about finding something with all of my Tier 1 conditions and maybe one or two or my Tier 2 (most often the screen size).

AndyD

aka andydumi

Tier 1 (aka must have):
  • Fingerprint reader
  • NFC

Tier 2 (Nice to have):
  • SD card slot
  • Removable battery
  • Wireless charging

• Waterproof
  • 2K or 4K display
  • Quick charging

For me, it's more about finding something with all of my Tier 1 conditions and maybe one or two or my Tier 2 (most often the screen size).

That's pretty much where I am, except size can go a bit bigger if the bezels are small. And NFC is more like Tier 2 for me. Sadly most big name phones now are 5.5 or more and big bezels on top.

There is always something you give up with Android. I bet the Moto X style has horrible battery life and then of course you don't get a fingerprint reader.

Admodieus

That's pretty much where I am, except size can go a bit bigger if the bezels are small. And NFC is more like Tier 2 for me. Sadly most big name phones now are 5.5 or more and big bezels on top.

I've been using NFC more and more recently (most notably in cabs, of all places) and my city is going to roll out an NFC-compatible fare program for public transit soon, so it's probably more of a sticking point for me than most.

Maiar_m

Tier 1 (aka must have):
  • Fingerprint reader
  • NFC

Tier 2 (Nice to have):
  • SD card slot
  • Removable battery
  • Wireless charging

• Waterproof
  • 2K or 4K display
  • Quick charging

Yeah that's how I work too, but so far tier 1 (mine's got the same as yours but for the camera which I don't care at all about and I'm adding no more than 5.2" screen size in) doesn't really exist either.

Admodieus

Yeah that's how I work too, but so far tier 1 (mine's got the same as yours but for the camera which I don't care at all about and I'm adding no more than 5.2" screen size in) doesn't really exist either.

Yeah, and I don't think I'm asking for that much. Screen size, good camera, good battery (make it thicker if you have to!), and a fingerprint reader using Marshmallow's new API. I'll buy it Day 1.

kinggroin

Banned
No one wants to spend the kind of money that would be required to give us the kind of android phone we want.

They should just re-release the N6 in two sizes with an updated camera. Call it a day. It's certainly dropped enough in price.

tzare

There is always something you give up with Android. I bet the Moto X style has horrible battery life and then of course you don't get a fingerprint reader.
Well there's always something you give up with any smartphone, android ios or wp. At least android ones give you a lot to choose from.

You're asking for what is still a flagship-level option in a device that's decidedly mid-range. And not even all flagships come with it default: on the G4 you have to perform a bit of creative surgery on the backplate in order to enable it.

The Lumia 735 is a midrange device and comes with it. The M5 doesn't have it, because Sony doesn't care for wireless charging. The Z3 has it via their $70 flip case and that's it.

Nikodemos

The Lumia 735 is a midrange device and comes with it. The M5 doesn't have it, because Sony doesn't care for wireless charging. The Z3 has it via their $70 flip case and that's it.
Well, yes, but Lumias are in a class of their own. Which is why I want one badly, but I can't see myself paying what will undoubtedly be a huge price for the 950. So unless MS partially reverses their stance on midrange devices, or the Chinese pick up slack in this area, I'll probably remain stuck with Android.

Fingerprint scanner is really cool, saw it in action on a workmate's 5S, but I'll forego it if it keeps the price solidly in non-premium range without making compromises regarding camera, hardware or screen quality.

As for the tier system, I definitely want waterproofing and SD support. Phones are expensive here, particularly when compared to my monthly income, and tech support are a bit cunty about "user-dependent damage". I'd rather not fry my phone because I got caught in a sudden downpour without an umbrella, like a mate of mine did with his brand new Desire 826. And despite dev support for cards becoming shittier recently, I'd rather not have World of Tanks Blitz or Hearthstone download ~3 GB to the internal memory.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Sister is looking for something at around £150. I was looking at the 3rd gen Moto G, thoughts?

sarcastor

Not available in the U.S. Probably $400 if it was. It would get killed my the moto g, zen phone, one plus 2, etc. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My Z3 went from about 40% battery to 5% in a couple of hours and I was barely using it. Seems like recently I have to turn it off and on and hope that android OS or google services won't keep the CPU awake all the time.

Wreav

Banned
Android land gonna be snooooze land till mid '16 at this rate.

So is iOS land to be fair. Just curious if that 12mp sensor can pull even with Samsung's 16mp.

Mindwipe

My Z3 went from about 40% battery to 5% in a couple of hours and I was barely using it. Seems like recently I have to turn it off and on and hope that android OS or google services won't keep the CPU awake all the time.

At least yours turned back on again :-(

So am I the only one who loves the look of the new nexus. I was going to keep my phone, buy I might upgrade just for the 5-2
The volcano hump is a bit odd but overall I dig the look.

But yeah to keep a phone at a certain price point it's like do we put the better battery in or the better soc. and so on. I prefer they never sacrifice battery considering CPUs are good enough these days.

Camera is more software related as to why they suck. Also I don't consider qhd a benefit unless the battery is beast but even then I'll think what if they stuck to 1080p.

Android.

thenexus6

Hmm these are interesting.. They're like a UK based oneplus.

http://wileyfox.com/swift/ and http://wileyfox.com/storm/

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands...related&utm_medium=module&utm_campaign=nextv2

Swift-Gallery-1.png

swift-back.png

EmiPrime

Is USB Type C heavily rumored for fall 2015 Macbook Air's/Pro's?

Yes, it's part of the TB3 spec which is coming with Skylake.

New MBPs are almost certainly coming. MBA won't be this year.

edit I just remembered the 2015 MBP came out not long ago, I should know because I helped my dad buy it. I think iMacs will be the first to get Skylake.

Top Bottom