• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Got a note 5 a few days back. Early impressions are positive. Screen really is fantastic. Touchwiz improved from my last Samsung which was an s3, but it isn't as good as Sense. I'll post something more thorough after a week or so.

Z5, Z5+, and Z5 compact rumors:http://m.pocketnow.com/2015/08/27/sony-xperia-z5-premium-z5-z5-compact-ifa

Looks like the 4k screen rumors are true....maybe
4k is just flat out overkill. nice to see z5c will still be 4.6 inch, it really is the perfect size for smartphones.
They look like your standard flagship these days. .. well, no fingerprint scanner and yet to be proven iris scanner (need to hold the phone in front of you? Distance? ) though it may be better who knows. .. And plastic that many think it is not premium.

To bad no gapps for WP. How does sideloading android apps work ? Is it convenient?
yeah fingerprint scanner is a must now, just so convenient. i have to disagree with you about the material though, i still have my nokia lumia 800 and i love the polycarbonate. it is solid build and has 0 scratches after all these years. people bitch way too much about phone materials considering 99% put cases on the phones anyway.

SimleuqiR

LG Nexus 5-2 display panel leak: https://twitter.com/manu09090/status/636893580355891200

You can't tell much from it, other than it has a large Jay Leno-esque chin. Side bezels are thin, at least...

No...
This is a Jay Leno chin

leno-chin.jpg

seems the bezels are on par with the Nexus 5 (2013).

Edit:

Even having the bigger bottom is on par with the Nexus (2013)

new-android-kitkat-update-build-ktu65-spotted-nexus-5.jpg

tzare

4k is just flat out overkill. nice to see z5c will still be 4.6 inch, it really is the perfect size for smartphones.

yeah fingerprint scanner is a must now, just so convenient. i have to disagree with you about the material though, i still have my nokia lumia 800 and i love the polycarbonate. it is solid build and has 0 scratches after all these years. people bitch way too much about phone materials considering 99% put cases on the phones anyway.
I'm with you about plastic,i love my old nexus 5 back and it looks fantastic. I also think my note's4 fake leather >>>> glass or metal. Was talking about some wanting phones to be like other popular flagships... and yes most end using cases so....

reKon

Banned

It's not though. They should go to 4.8 inch at least. It will still be compact. Remember that the bottom nav bar takes up screen space as well.

No...
This is a Jay Leno chin

leno-chin.jpg

seems the bezels are on par with the Nexus 5 (2013).

Edit:

Even having the bigger bottom is on par with the Nexus (2013)

new-android-kitkat-update-build-ktu65-spotted-nexus-5.jpg

I had a G1. It's such a tiny phone, though. Chin and all.

Now, if only the picture of the display panel was higher quality. We might be able to get the part number and see what resolution it is...

zewone

I don't know why they need such large bezels on the top and bottom.

N6 had front stereo speakers with a great screen ratio.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Got a note 5 a few days back. Early impressions are positive. Screen really is fantastic. Touchwiz improved from my last Samsung which was an s3, but it isn't as good as Sense. I'll post something more thorough after a week or so.

Samsung phones are so great when you first turn them on and set up. Give it a month or so of installing apps and stuff. The experience deteriorates worse than any other phone oem I've ever used. And I've used almost all.

GMSArena did a review a few months back: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_7-review-1279.php

I'm really tempted, especially for £210. My OPO's battery life has plummeted since Lollipop and to be honest I find it a bit too big. My only concerns over the Honor 7 are:

- Will the downgrade from 801 to an octa core A53 be noticeable
- Will it get updated to M
- How easy will it be to root

And of course Nexus is just around the corner. Decisions....

kami_sama

Wow, the Honor 7 is a great device for the price. If it weren't for the Kirin CPU, I would be all over it. No dev support subtracts a lot of points,at least for me.

vivftp

This pic goes with the other Xperia ones below

Xperia_Z5_Press_2_640x451.jpg

Confirms a 1/2.3" sensor, and that it's 23MP

Additional info I picked up from another forum I visit. According to this link (I haven't translated it yet, but others have) there will be a newer IMX300 sensor in use for the upcoming Z series:

http://weibo.com/u/5241757690#_loginLayer_1440695202230

Apparently this is what it says:

"XPERIA IMX300 open with full pixel oversampling 4K nice matter, as to what I reduces rolling shutter problem with the sensor support high-speed cutting width 4K / 60p."

The IMX230 sensor which is in the Xperia M5 is a 1/2.4" 21MP sensor. The older sensor in the Xperia Z3 and previous phones is the IMX220 which is 1/2.3" and is 20.7MP. SO indeed this does appear to be a brand new, unannounced sensor. It appears to be a case of Sony keeping back tech for their own flagships and not selling it off to the competition... at least for now.

And since I'm posting Weibo rumours, here's another interesting one regarding the whole 4K display rumour:

http://weibo.com/529466118#_rnd1438591183940

This seems to translate to:

"Xperia Z5 Premium regarded as proven, many people worry that 4K will seriously affect the life of the screen, but this time Sony is also clever only in pictures and videos of the time will be full resolution rendering, rest of the time in accordance with 2K resolution (pending final confirmation) rendering, Of course, the 5.5-inch screen is fine enough 2K".

vivftp

I'm kinda digging the engraved Xperia logo on the side. It does make me wonder if the one on the back if still necessary, but at least the phone doesn't look too crowded overall.

I can never get over the rectangular look of sony phones, I prefer more rounded edges.

I love it and since I never owned one, I can't say I'm tired of it. Just put fucking Qi charging in there, ugh!

I'm kinda digging the engraved Xperia logo on the side. It does make me wonder if the one on the back if still necessary, but at least the phone doesn't look too crowded overall.

I fear that they gave Verizon a really stupid idea...

vivftp

Yep, but so long as the hardware makes it to other phones, we will see someone take advantage of it to deliver great photos.

That sensor likely won't be making it to non-Sony phones for quite some time to come. The IMX230 is already a very impressive looking sensor, and that's what Sony is selling to the competition. One would think the sensor they keep for themselves will be even better. Less than a week to go until we find out!

Also, just need to state my sadness that there will apparently be no new Z Ultra phone... at least for now. If this Z5+ model is coming out before the end of this year, then chances are we won't see another like it for another year. We'll likely only get a normal flagship at MWC :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
An iris scanner is such a stupid idea and misses the convenience of a fingerprint scanner entirely.

Reckoner

Wait are they really placing two Xperia logos on the phone? Facepalm. Put it on all sides, while you're at it.

23qwerty

Does it have a call answer button on it? You could try double clicking for FFWD and triple clicking for RWD like an inline remote on your headset would do.
pressing the "bluetooth" button pauses/plays. in poweramp you're supposed to be able to set it to long press or double/triple tap to change songs, but double tapping just makes the speaker say what battery % it's at, and triple tapping does the same with the added bonus of pausing it as well. long hold does nothing except try to pair.

Jigolo

It's a nice brick indeed. Just add the slight curve on the back like the Note 5 for better ergonomics. Maybe next year. Maybe

Top Bottom