• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Nikodemos

Heyyyyyy: http://m.gsmarena.com/archos_diamond_tab_becomes_official_with_4g_lte_support-news-13730.php

http://www.archos.com/us/products/tablets/diamond/archos_diamondtab/index.html

Not bad! I like having more options available. Good job Archos! I hope the Galaxy Tab S 2 has terrible sales which that laughable pricing. The highlight here is the 3GB of ram, relatively larger battery, LTE and pricing! If this actually gets Android M, it's looking good.

Side note: Even though I'll never pay more than $300 for a tablet, it's kind of crazy how good performing the iPad Air 2 is. Obviously more ram would be a great decision, but that tablet still blows everything away. If only iOS was a better OS ;(. At least the multi window implementation looks good.
The thing I dislike about most MediaTek SoCs is that they gimp them by putting shitty low-perf single-channel GPUs.

yeah I don't really care about polycarbonate backs much. Don't think I'd put a case on it either. I don't know. Depends on price really :p

I would put a case on it, because it looks really bland in black or white. But the cutout for the fingerprint reader would ruin that even more than the bland design. If it really has a metal frame, I wouldn't put a case on it regardless.

Sony panel lottery continues with the C5 Ultra.

dJdHGbm.jpg

n1FZcJM.jpg

sinhz41.jpg

r0wMqrk.jpg

8V1kvVA.jpg

Funny stuff.

Nikodemos

The perils of multiple-sourcing your hardware.

Though neither of them are very good. The Innolux one is washed out, while the Truly veers yellow.

So if that outlet is right and the nexus 5-2 launches September 29th I hope that means it's announced a week or two before. Which is not THAT far away.

So if that outlet is right and the nexus 5-2 launches September 29th I hope that means it's announced a week or two before. Which is not THAT far away.

That would be alright. I'd definitely prioritize the new Surface Pro 4 over the Nexus 5 and since it's supposed to come out later in October, reviews and reports should be out by then. Shit, even a 2,700 mAh battery would be fine by me. Literally anything over 2,000 mAh is better than my current Nexus 5.

Ty4on

As a biased owner the 2013 moto x is the best phone to hold that I've ever held. It's stable enough on flat surfaces plus you can spin it when you get fidgity.

That was what I always heard and when I was looking at a new phone I would definitivly have bought it if they sold it here.

If I could piece together a phone I think I'd start with that shape. Such a shame Motorola messed up the marketing and made the later ones bigger .

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I expected the Huawei watch to be more expensive. Now even if the new 270 has equivalent resolution (400x400), is amoled, and has similar battery life, it'll be a hard sell given this one has a full circle screen, Sapphire glass, etc.

Also, this Zenpad S is amazing. It's what a tablet should finally be. No more reloading of every app. It works. Fucking finally.

Toki767

I will wait for reviews on the Huawei watch. The battery is a concern since LG's watches have lower 20% less resolution but 20% more battery.

I also feel like it isn't smart to pay $350 for a new Android Wear device until Google announces any sort of vision for it for future versions.

I expected the Huawei watch to be more expensive. Now even if the new 270 has equivalent resolution (400x400), is amoled, and has similar battery life, it'll be a hard sell given this one has a full circle screen, Sapphire glass, etc.

Also, this Zenpad S is amazing. It's what a tablet should finally be. No more reloading of every app. It works. Fucking finally.

It almost sounds like an iPad.

Talon

Hopefully someone releases a case that covers up that fingerprint sensor. The latest useless smartphone trend (imho).
You clearly have never used one before.

Went about two days without a sensor back on a Moto X. Was annoying as shit to input the pin code. Must-have feature.

Biometric sensors like fingerprint scanners are definitely better than traditional unlock methods (even though I really like pattern), but things like Android's smart lock are still really great features that all phones should have as an option, particularly those without scanners equipped. Does iOS or Windows Phone have an equivalent?

Biometric sensors like fingerprint scanners are definitely better than traditional unlock methods (even though I really like pattern), but things like Android's smart lock are still really great features that all phones should have as an option, particularly those without scanners equipped. Does iOS or Windows Phone have an equivalent?
windows phone not sure but iOS does not. It's definitely a great compliment to a fingerprint scanner.

Quasar

For me at least, my enthusiasm for fingerprint readers has nothing to do with locks (I still have my devices unlocked). Its for use with lastpass. That's a godsend. To the point where I dislike using any passworded service on my android phone.

For me at least, my enthusiasm for fingerprint readers has nothing to do with locks (I still have my devices unlocked). Its for use with lastpass. That's a godsend. To the point where I dislike using any passworded service on my android phone.
Oh yeah, definitely. They're great for that type of stuff too. Entering a pin or long ass password can be tedious, more so the latter.

Husker86

How often do you really unlock your phone while it's on a table though?

A lot. Especially at work. I'm still gettin on that Nexus 5 2015 train, but I am not happy with back fingerprint scanner.

The thing is, fingerprint scanners are faster than smart unlock. All Smart Unlock does is bypass the PIN/Pattern/Whatever; you still have to swipe to unlock. Fingerprint scanner is put your finger on it and boom, phone unlocked.

clav

windows phone not sure but iOS does not. It's definitely a great compliment to a fingerprint scanner.

Supposedly the Windows Phone flagships coming up are equipped with camera sensors that can detect the user with Windows Hello. Think of them like Kinect 2.0's tech for phones.

I suppose the upcoming Surface Pro 4's will have that tech, too, with Intel's RealSense camera tech.

A lot. Especially at work. I'm still gettin on that Nexus 5 2015 train, but I am not happy with back fingerprint scanner.

The thing is, fingerprint scanners are faster than smart unlock. All Smart Unlock does is bypass the PIN/Pattern/Whatever; you still have to swipe to unlock. Fingerprint scanner is put your finger on it and boom, phone unlocked.
I know it's a bit faster, but smart unlock is still a nice feature for those who have devices with no fingerprint scanner.

Supposedly the Windows Phone flagships coming up are equipped with camera sensors that can detect the user with Windows Hello. Think of them like Kinect 2.0's tech for phones.

I suppose the upcoming Surface Pro 4's will have that tech, too, with Intel's RealSense camera tech.
Ah, I see. Makes sense that a specialized camera would be needed as a normal one would be no better than using face unlock. Though that seems like it would be slower than even entering a pin or pattern, unless they make it so that the camera(s) activate as soon as you pick up the phone while it's locked and the screen is off.

Rootbeer

Banned
Not sure if anyone cares but MKBHD review of the OnePlus Two
https://youtu.be/s8Un0XB_8xk

Still shaking my head at no NFC... has a rather nice fingerprint sensor but no NFC... so Android Pay once that launches will be a no go on the OnePlus2... a sad affair. I use Google Wallet quite a bit and am hoping the rollout of Android Pay gets me to use NFC even more. OnePlus2 users won't be having that experience.

Looks like a GREAT phone... but would rather wait for the 2015 Nexus devices for the time being. Let's see how they compare.

kami_sama

Still shaking my head at no NFC... has a rather nice fingerprint sensor but no NFC... so Android Pay once that launches will be a no go on the OnePlus2... a sad affair. I use Google Wallet quite a bit and am hoping the rollout of Android Pay gets me to use NFC even more. OnePlus2 users won't be having that experience.

Looks like a GREAT phone... but would rather wait for the 2015 Nexus devices for the time being. Let's see how they compare.

The thing is that there is a phone that compares to it, the honor 7. It has less RAM, and the SoC is not as good as the 810, but it has a SD card slot and NFC. It also has a fingerprint sensor, so it's great for android pay.
Problem is, that being a Kirin SoC, there won't much, or any, dev support, which is a dealbreaker, at least for me. The nexii and the OPT will have LOTS of dev support, as seen with the last Nexii and OPO.

There was a rumour a while ago about a nexus 8 tablet I just didn't post it because the source seemed more dubious than usual and that's saying a lot. Not bad though if it's true. The more the merrier.

Husker86

But you just "get" everything, so no issue there.

I love my Nexus 7. Still pretty snappy.

Google should stick with ASUS when making tablets.

Nexus 7 2013 is the longest I've ever actively used a modern (2008+) mobile device.

I still like it, though I'd probably get a Nexus 8 if it turns out to be true (and isn't made by HTC).

HawkeyeIC

Nexus 7 2013 is the longest I've ever actively used a modern (2008+) mobile device.

I still like it, though I'd probably get a Nexus 8 if it turns out to be true (and isn't made by HTC).

Still love my Nexus 7 2013. I'd be all over an 8, so long as they stay away from a Tegra SOC

Top Bottom