• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Talon

Just smashed my iPhone 6 at the airport by accident. Is there any store I can walk into a buy a Moto G for the time being?

Best Buy has them in-store. Amazon has them in-stock, too.

Only caveat is they only sell the cheaper 1 GB RAM versions. 2 GB is (currently) exclusive to Motomaker.

Talon

So why the fuck does my Edge keep on dropping wifi after 30~ minutes?

Looking on XDA, looks like this is a known issue. :|

What the hell, Samsung?

VoxPop

Thanks guys. Specs arent a biggie. Just a phone to use for the weekend. Don't think there are any Apple Stores around here so I'll try and find a Best Buy.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I expected the Huawei watch to be more expensive. Now even if the new 270 has equivalent resolution (400x400), is amoled, and has similar battery life, it'll be a hard sell given this one has a full circle screen, Sapphire glass, etc.

Also, this Zenpad S is amazing. It's what a tablet should finally be. No more reloading of every app. It works. Fucking finally.

Intel does what Nvidia and Qualcomm don't!

Qualcomm tablets are fine..

Yeah, but Nvidia tabelt users be like....

tumblr_lpseheeBjH1qmxjp0o1_500.gif

So I've been meaning to ask. What are the best earpod style earbuds that work with android phones. I mean volume up and down working, mic working, etc....all controls. On any/most android phones.

The one I see mentioned a lot is amazon premium headphones. I just don't like in-ear earphones so it's hard to find one I like these days. Happy to get the amazon ones but I just want to be sure I'm not missing out on something obviously better.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Salsa

hey guys

p. simple question but I figured id ask anyway

my Galaxy S3 finally seems to have broken for good

can get a pretty cheap Nexus 5 as a replacement. im buying it used so that's kind of a bummer but id get to see it beforehand and all

my carrier only offers me an LG G3 S as the replacement, which is the mini version basically and seems pretty bad in terms of specs and all

should just go for the 5, right? only bad thing I hear is battery life which is.. kind of discouraging after running around with 2 swappable batteries on the samsung

but I probably can deal

edit; I know a new Nexus 5 is probably coming soon but gettin newer phones here is crazy expensive anyway. no real place sellin the Nexus line brand new anyway. 2GB ram and 16GB storage old Nexus 5 seems pretty dandy for how I use my phone anyway so other than the supposedly bad battery I really dont want any other "upgrade"

kami_sama

hey guys

p. simple question but I figured id ask anyway

my Galaxy S3 finally seems to have broken for good

can get a pretty cheap Nexus 5 as a replacement. im buying it used so that's kind of a bummer but id get to see it beforehand and all

my carrier only offers me an LG G3 S as the replacement, which is the mini version basically and seems pretty bad in terms of specs and all

should just go for the 5, right? only bad thing I hear is battery life which is.. kind of discouraging after running around with 2 swappable batteries on the samsung

but I probably can deal

edit; I know a new Nexus 5 is probably coming soon but gettin newer phones here is crazy expensive anyway. no real place sellin the Nexus line brand new anyway. 2GB ram and 16GB storage old Nexus 5 seems pretty dandy for how I use my phone anyway so other than the supposedly bad battery I really dont want any other "upgrade"
Buy it and flash Marshmallow. It helps a lot with battery life.

I'm going to keep it installed, but I'm keeping an eye on it and if Cheetah fucks it up, I'm deleting it.

Sucks too, as I really loved it.
You can always disable auto-updating. And there's a way to sign the app yourself to have the Play Store not even recognize it.

thenexus6

Looking for a quick pic replacement. I ideally would like to the app to look / perform the same.

App opens to simple folder view:
Photos
Downloads
Whatsapp

etc

GIF support and share options.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looking for a quick pic replacement. I ideally would like to the app to look / perform the same.

App opens to simple folder view:
Photos
Downloads
Whatsapp

etc

GIF support and share options.
Focus on a 30% SALE NOW

Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.focus

We heard you, QuickPic is tango down, and you want to use Focus premium features. Starting NOW until September the 2nd Focus premium package is on SALE.

Couple features +Liam Spradlin and me are working on:

1 - Automatically write tags to metadata, so when you tag X or Y picture its information will be written to the EXIF information which will be saved regardless if you change, roms, send the picture to another device, clear Focus data, whatever. This feature is retro-compatible with existing users and it's all automatic without the need of user interaction;
2 - Improved performance on several layouts
3 - The Vault, where you can hide folders and pictures using the same passcode you use for the Snooping Lock feature
4 - Adding basic Cropping and Rotation, leaving more advanced editing features to existing apps (such as Snapseed)

There's more to come so now is a great time to Focus on all these premium things.

Pachimari

Is it possible to flash Marshmallow on a LG G3?
I have never tried doing such thing but would like to have something other than Android 5.0.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
After some researching, I'll be jumping off the Nexus ship this time around for the X Pure.

Still not sure if I want to go through Moto Maker and wait or go get it at Best Buy though.

guysssss!
32GB as the base at $400? I'm REALLY hoping that's not an error.

EDIT:
Just posted this in the official Moto Pure thread in the OT. (Yay, we have a thread!)

Question: Why not go for the cheaper 16gb version, if you already have a memory card?
That's what I'm planning on doing with a 64GB I have in a Meenova adapter.

jwk94

Just posted this in the official Moto Pure thread in the OT. (Yay, we have a thread!)

Question: Why not go for the cheaper 16gb version, if you already have a memory card?

Because 16 GB really isn't that much for the apps that can't be moved to external storage.

After some researching, I'll be jumping off the Nexus ship this time around for the X Pure.

Still not sure if I want to go through Moto Maker and wait or go get it at Best Buy though.

32GB as the base at $400? I'm REALLY hoping that's not an error.

EDIT:

That's what I'm planning on doing with a 64GB I have in a Meenova adapter.

The Pure has a microSD card slot

I'm looking to replace my Droid Razzer Maxx HD with a new Android phone in the next 6 months or so. But I want a screen size of 5 inches or less. I saw that the new Moto G would fit this bill but the specs aren't any better than the Razzr from what I could tell. Are there any other good options for me?

I'm looking to replace my Droid Razzer Maxx HD with a new Android phone in the next 6 months or so. But I want a screen size of 5 inches or less. I saw that the new Moto G would fit this bill but the specs aren't any better than the Razzr from what I could tell. Are there any other good options for me?

I assume you're on Verizon? The only one I can think about is the Z3 compact and I'm not sure if it even works on Verizon.

Whatever happened to that new Sony Android concept that was supposed to be stock Android with Sony apps? Is the Z5 supposed to come with it or still use the Sony skin?

tzare

Mediatek is a bummer, but the no bezel screen looks so beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf7S5lPB0KQ

And for $288(Kickstarter price), it's a great deal even with the MT chipset. Though, according to benchmarks, the MT6795 isn't a slouch:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/mediatek-mt6795-smokes-snapdragon-810-geekbench-3-0-closes-exynos-7420/
This year SOCs are all standard ARM design afaik, so it doesn't really matter if it is mdtk qualcomm or samsung or huawei. Maybe GPU wise there's some difference in performance but if there's throttling when using adrenos...
This year i'd focus more on camera or other features than the soc. As long it performs similar to SD800 you will be ok. Honor 7 seems another contender. Let's see how do nexus end being

kami_sama

This year SOCs are all standard ARM design afaik, so it doesn't really matter if it is mdtk qualcomm or samsung or huawei. Maybe GPU wise there's some difference in performance but if there's throttling when using adrenos...
This year i'd focus more on camera or other features than the soc. As long it performs similar to SD800 you will be ok. Honor 7 seems another contender. Let's see how do nexus end being

While you could say that for most SoCs (SD, Kirin, Exynos) mediateks have always had the bad reputation of being closed source and not being upgraded to the latest android version. And the gpu it is paired with has both poor performance and closed source.

hitgirl

Blagh. Someone help me out. I need to stay on Verizon but I want to buy a phone without the bloat and logos. From what I saw I can buy the Moto X Pure (or style?) from Motorola/bestbuy and it will work? How about OnePlusTwo? Thanks so much..

Top Bottom