• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

tzare

While you could say that for most SoCs (SD, Kirin, Exynos) mediateks have always had the bad reputation of being closed source and not being upgraded to the latest android version. And the gpu it is paired with has both poor performance and closed source.
It used to be like that but they have been improving. Unless you are into gaming or custom roms i think mdtk are a good choice too.Especially for midrange priced devices.
But i understand some people won't trust them considering their past.

I would personally go for mdtk over SD615 for example

kinggroin

Banned
Blagh. Someone help me out. I need to stay on Verizon but I want to buy a phone without the bloat and logos. From what I saw I can buy the Moto X Pure (or style?) from Motorola/bestbuy and it will work? How about OnePlusTwo? Thanks so much..

Don't be so sure. Verizon is notorious for blocking devices not directly sold by them, even if they are technically compatible with their CDMA network.

If you're already considering the Pure, maybe look into picking up a used N6. Seriously.

One plus two is GSM only. Not even an option.

hitgirl

Don't be so sure. Verizon is notorious for blocking devices not directly sold by them, even if they are technically compatible with their CDMA network.

If you're already considering the Pure, maybe look into picking up a used N6. Seriously.

One plus two is GSM only. Not even an option.

Ok, gotcha. I think I remember during the Motorola conference they specifically mentioned you can buy it from them and it will work with every carrier. But yea, Verizon likes to keep a closed eco system. I didn't even know pure N6 worked on Verizon, thought there was some issues.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys,

I just switched from iPhone (been on iOS since the iPhone 4 came out) to Android earlier this week. Loving my new Moto X Play so far but I'm still learning about the OS.

Is there a way to increase the time the screen light up when you get a new notification? I looked through the options but couldn't find this. Right now it barely light up so I miss most of my notifications (which kinda defeats the purpose lol).

Actually I find the whole notifications system with the "Priority" thing really confusing.

EmiPrime

So I've been meaning to ask. What are the best earpod style earbuds that work with android phones. I mean volume up and down working, mic working, etc....all controls. On any/most android phones.

The one I see mentioned a lot is amazon premium headphones. I just don't like in-ear earphones so it's hard to find one I like these days. Happy to get the amazon ones but I just want to be sure I'm not missing out on something obviously better.

I'd love to know this too. I couldn't find anything other than cheap earbuds without a remote.

kami_sama

Hey guys,

I just switched from iPhone (been on iOS since the iPhone 4 came out) to Android earlier this week. Loving my new Moto X Play so far but I'm still learning about the OS.

Is there a way to increase the time the screen light up when you get a new notification? I looked through the options but couldn't find this. Right now it barely light up so I miss most of my notifications (which kinda defeats the purpose lol).

Actually I find the whole notifications system with the "Priority" thing really confusing.

The screen lighting up is not controlled in the settings. It's in the Moto Assist app, I think. And yes, I have to agree that Priority mode is a little confusing. When enabled, only notifications from your starred contacts and chosen applications will make a sound and/or make your phone vibrate.

I'd love to know this too. I couldn't find anything other than cheap earbuds without a remote.
honestly it seems like those amazon ones are the best bet in terms of functionality/price/compatability (works on most android phones). There's also the buds that come with the s6 but I'm not sure how easy it is to buy and not sure what the compatibility is like. Amazon one seems better.

I was never too satisfied with motorola's approach to notifications. I'd rather a notification light I think than that screen flicker.

Megasoum

Banned
The screen lighting up is not controlled in the settings. It's in the Moto Assist app, I think. And yes, I have to agree that Priority mode is a little confusing. When enabled, only notifications from your starred contacts and chosen applications will make a sound and/or make your phone vibrate.

Hmmm.. It's through Moto even if I use the "Ambient Display" instead of "Moto Display" for the Notifications settings?

kami_sama

VoxPop

honestly it seems like those amazon ones are the best bet in terms of functionality/price/compatability (works on most android phones). There's also the buds that come with the s6 but I'm not sure how easy it is to buy and not sure what the compatibility is like. Amazon one seems better.

I was never too satisfied with motorola's approach to notifications. I'd rather a notification light I think than that screen flicker.

The only thing I like that Samsung does. There was a decent poor man's approach on the original Motorola Droid. Blackberry notification lights were the tits too.

Megasoum

Banned
There's an "Ambient Display" in the Notifications Settings? I didn't know that. I would still try the Moto app.

I've found a website where that goes trough the settings for the 2014's Moto X Ambient Display. I think it will be the same. http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/12/how-to-customize-active-display-on-moto-x-2014/

Cool thanks, I'll look into it.

Edit: Yeah... Doesn't look like there's any options available for the "Ambient Display" setting and I don't want to use the "Moto Display" option. Looking at google, I guess the idea of having notifications pop-up on the screen is a new thing for Android??? I'm surprised... Anyway... Not the end of the world but it's a big annoying.

kinggroin

Banned
Ok, gotcha. I think I remember during the Motorola conference they specifically mentioned you can buy it from them and it will work with every carrier. But yea, Verizon likes to keep a closed eco system. I didn't even know pure N6 worked on Verizon, thought there was some issues.

N6 is officially sold by Verizon, so you're golden.

Just make sure you already have a nano sim.from Verizon, or cut your current one to a nano size! Otherwise they won't provision one without you buying the N6 directly from them (more expensive)

kami_sama

Cool thanks, I'll look into it.

Edit: Yeah... Doesn't look like there's any options available for the "Ambient Display" setting and I don't want to use the "Moto Display" option. Looking at google, I guess the idea of having notifications pop-up on the screen is a new thing for Android??? I'm surprised... Anyway... Not the end of the world but it's a big annoying.

I seems that Moto Display is a better way to do ambient display: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2ortms/ambient_display_vs_moto_display_which_to_choose/
So I would use that for now.

Megasoum

Banned
I seems that Moto Display is a better way to do ambient display: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2ortms/ambient_display_vs_moto_display_which_to_choose/
So I would use that for now.

Yeah but I actually don't like the fact that the phone wakes itself up automatically when in Moto mode so yeah... I'll stay in Ambient. The notifications are perfect that way, I just wish it would light up the screen for a bit longer (which doesn't appear to be the case in Moto mode either anyway).

Yeah but I actually don't like the fact that the phone wakes itself up automatically when in Moto mode so yeah... I'll stay in Ambient. The notifications are perfect that way, I just wish it would light up the screen for a bit longer (which doesn't appear to be the case in Moto mode either anyway).

Moto mode doesn't wake up the phone?

Megasoum

Banned
Moto mode doesn't wake up the phone?

When in Moto mode the phone uses the IR sensor to detect when you're looking at it and wakes itself up automatically... I don't like that since I always leave my phone on my desk next to my keyboard and I get a ton of false positive. In Ambient Mode you need to press the button to wake it up which is fine. The screen does wake up when you get a notification (like on iOS) but it only stays on for like a second so I still miss most of my notifications.

3phemeral

When in Moto mode the phone uses the IR sensor to detect when you're looking at it and wakes itself up automatically... I don't like that since I always leave my phone on my desk next to my keyboard and I get a ton of false positive. In Ambient Mode you need to press the button to wake it up which is fine. The screen does wake up when you get a notification (like on iOS) but it only stays on for like a second so I still miss most of my notifications.

The IR sensor is for when you wave your hand across the screen. The original Moto X also had this feature and I'd be able to just wave and Moto Display would light up temporarily (maybe using the proximity sensor). "Smart Stay" is something only Samsung uses, I'm sure, where it actually does detect if you're looking at the screen.

Shouldn't your options be listed under "Active Display" in settings? They might have changed it in the 2014 edition, but that's where it's placed in the 2013 one.

Jigolo

wpid-wp-1440958345859.png

yay for 4K screens

Megasoum

Banned
The IR sensor is for when you wave your hand across the screen. The original Moto X also had this feature and I'd be able to just wave and Moto Display would light up temporarily (maybe using the proximity sensor). "Smart Stay" is something only Samsung uses, I'm sure, where it actually does detect if you're looking at the screen.

Shouldn't your options be listed under "Active Display" in settings? They might have changed it in the 2014 edition, but that's where it's placed in the 2013 one.

Not seeing any "Active Display" option in the 2015 edition.

And yeah my bad, I meant hand wave thing and not looking at it. Point still stands though.

can anyone on here weigh in on Snapdragon 810 SoC? people are saying it has overheating issues on z3, if true why the hell did sony stick with it

that gold looks so sexy with black. 8mp front shooter is also nice

Because the 820 isn't ready yet I guess and there is really no alternative other than the 808. Everyone figures they can just put the 810 in their phones and throttle it.

Because the 820 isn't ready yet I guess and there is really no alternative other than the 808. Everyone figures they can just put the 810 in their phones and throttle it.
I think the OP2 shows that you can do it successfully (used loosely), the problem is Sony doesn't seem to know how given their history :|

Maybe they figured it out though.

teiresias

The Cheetah Mobile replies to the reviews on Quick Pic in the store now are fairly hilarious.

Why didn't you like Cheetah Mobile? It develops great apps for users and collecting ideas from users so as to improve it is always its mission. Could you please give Cheetah some trust and try to see what surprise it may bring to you.

Mayy I know how you got the image of Cheetah Mobile as you described? It develops great apps for users and collecting ideas from users so as to improve it. Could you please give Cheetah some trust and try to see what surprise it may bring to you

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by owner change. No matter who is the developer good experience that users expect will be always in the first place. Besides the advantages that QuickPic has now, we will add some valuable functions for FREE. PLEASE stay with us and our continuous high quality service.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
They should have just bought it and silently destroyed it. Instead, they plastered their name all over it.

It's almost monday guys. A new week. I feel the nexus leaks will be bountiful. I hope at least. If the 5-2 really is launching late september then something specific/reliable should come up.

I really hope that some significant leaks about the Nexus happen this week. As it stands, the Moto X Pure will be my go to phone this year as everything has been disappointing.

vivftp

A short video of the Z5 in French, apparently with a Sony marketing director

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01AxPd3szU

Someone on another forum translated some of the details into this:

The subject of the video is the z5 premium
He's saying tha the Xperia engraving on the aluminium frame is exclusive to the z5 premium
Two days autonomy
New photo sensor, the markets fastest autofocus 0.3 seconds
5x zoom
And he confirmed the 4K screen a world first without being able to explain the utility...

He's saying tha the Xperia engraving on the aluminium frame is exclusive to the z5 premium
Two days autonomy
5x zoom
And he confirmed the 4K screen a world first without being able to explain the utility...

you have to explain the utility of a better resolution screen?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's almost monday guys. A new week. I feel the nexus leaks will be bountiful. I hope at least. If the 5-2 really is launching late september then something specific/reliable should come up.

I really hope that some significant leaks about the Nexus happen this week. As it stands, the Moto X Pure will be my go to phone this year as everything has been disappointing.
What exactly are you guys waiting on? The thing is leaked. I mean, I guess price and maybe, maybe battery. But you kind of have an idea of what you're going to do already. We know enough.

Two days autonomy
5x zoom

Sony going the HTC route.

such a shame

What exactly are you guys waiting on? The thing is leaked. I mean, I guess price and maybe, maybe battery. But you kind of have an idea of what you're going to do already. We know enough.
price and battery mostly. Battery to me is huge. I don't give a fuck about the SOC or camera or anything because none of the possibilities are deal breakers. But a QHD screen and a 2700mah battery....LOL. I need confirmation on the resolution as well as confirmation on the battery size.

Then I need to know price and release date.

Ty4on

Some of the recent rumours indicate the it will only render in 4k in photos and videos. It will render in a lower resolution in all other instances.

To me that's the only time you don't need a high res.

I wish I had some readymade picture for it, but for those with a 1080p/1440p display try to find a high quality 720p/1080p picture and judge how sharp it looks on your phone. High resolution is much more noticeable with text.

you have to explain the utility of a better resolution screen?

Once the PPI is above pixels visible to the human eye, higher phone screen resolution is a specs race and little more. The 1440p phone screens are already 500+ PPI. Also phone GPU's aren't keeping up with the increasing pixel count at all so you're actually buying a lower game framerate if you keep pumping up the resolution.

Bboy AJ

price and battery mostly. Battery to me is huge. I don't give a fuck about the SOC or camera or anything because none of the possibilities are deal breakers. But a QHD screen and a 2700mah battery....LOL. I need confirmation on the resolution as well as confirmation on the battery size.

Then I need to know price and release date.
Denial. You know it'll be 2700.

Benchmarks a few months ago said it was 1080p. Early rumors said the same. Then, the rumor last week that confirmed Snapdragon said 2k screen, which is typically used to denote QHD.

I'm so confused, y'all.
We haven't had anything reliable yet other than the OG androidpolice rumour but even then everything was up in the air. We shall see.

Bboy AJ

Money talks. You're all going to buy it no matter what.

For the Z5, I guess it comes down to how the 810 works and how the price will be. If the Z5C is going to be about $350, the Z5 for $450 and the Z5 Premium for $550-$600, then it could actually sell. But you know what won't happen...

Money talks. You're all going to buy it no matter what.
I didn't buy the nexus 6! In fact I was so disappointed last year with all android phones that I ended up taking an iphone 6 instead :/

Don't test me goog. But I will say if the battery is great and everything else is meh I'd probably still get it.

Bboy AJ

I didn't buy the nexus 6! In fact I was so disappointed last year with all android phones that I ended up taking an iphone 6 instead :/

Don't test me goog. But I will say if the battery is great and everything else is meh I'd probably still get it.
That's because it's too big for you. I know all you consumers will buy the new Nexus 5 for sure. Let's be honest. Other than an expensive price, you're all going to succumb.

Top Bottom