• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Dudes should just go back to KK and leave Lollipop to the rest of us. There are a lot of things in Lollipop I dislike but I have absolutely no confusion on which is the better experience.

SugarDave

Are T-Mobiles unlimited data contracts actually unlimited with no fair usage policy (in the UK)? The answers seem to differ when I look it up.

giga

Are T-Mobiles unlimited data contracts actually unlimited with no fair usage policy (in the UK)? The answers seem to differ when I look it up.
Depends on the plan. All plans have unlimited data, but only one has unlimited 4G/LTE data (on the right). The others are throttled after they hit their specified limit.

2zyC8FW.png

grmlin

What is the problem with the music widget on the lock screen? I can pause, skip music and even see a cover art? :)

What is the problem with the music widget on the lock screen? I can pause, skip music and even see a cover art? :)

You can't go back? You have to take extra steps to do things you don't really need to do. Plus the big ass notification in the middle just does not look good when you have the artwork in the background.

NotBacon

I still don't understand the notification pull down complaints. What's the issue?

Literally nothing

You have to do a very cumbersome and time-wasting swipe down to expose the previous track button. 0.5 seconds of your life, gone just like that.

bob page

Dudes should just go back to KK and leave Lollipop to the rest of us. There are a lot of things in Lollipop I dislike but I have absolutely no confusion on which is the better experience.

Yep, I tried going back to KK and can't keep it. Absolutely inferior user experience.

grmlin

Literally nothing

You have to do a very cumbersome and time-wasting swipe down to expose the previous track button. 0.5 seconds of your life, gone just like that.

Ok,
so I'm the target audience for Lollipop as I can't remember a single day where I skipped back on my phone. It's more like open play music, select playlist, let it play :)
Lucky me

Groof

They didn't realize that instead of swiping twice you can tap the second time to pull down entirely, lol.

Or just use two fingers... like you always could. And it was a second tap before as well. They've literally done nothing but add one more way to access them. Otherwise it's exactly the same.

Linius

The battery life on the Z3 Compact is really pleasing me. When I left the house with my original Xperia Z (let's say at 8am) I'd have to pray to still have a working battery at the end of the work day (6pm ish).

Hasney

Yup, so it's pointlessly worse. Especially as I can't skip back in my pocket either when I'm walking to work in a storm.

Fortunately, it is the only thing left bugging me after installing CM12. Everything else is better.

mturco

Exactly. There are a handful of minor regressions and dudes act like Lollipop is a complete disaster. I think people forget all the stuff they added with 5.0.

Just to name a few:
- Material design
- Battery saver mode
- Smart lock (bluetooth, gps)
- Privacy control for lockscreen notifications
- Multiuser support for phones
- Screen pinning
- ART
- Support for 64-bit SOCs
- Low latency audio and USB audio

And, in comparison, the extremely minor setbacks:
- Confusing priority mode / no easy "silent mode"
- Slightly worse lockscreen music controls
- Removal of lockscreen widgets

I mean come on. Take a step back and gain some perspective here.

tr4656

Exactly. There are a handful of minor regressions and dudes act like Lollipop is a complete disaster. I think people forget all the stuff they added with 5.0.

Just to name a few:
- Material design
- Battery saver mode
- Screen pinning
- ART

Not to be picky but ART was in Kit Kat.

Just to name a few:
- Material design
- Battery saver mode
- Screen pinning
- ART

but everything except screen pinning was already available before 5.0, sure somre weren'ty stock, but hey...

so Android bretheren, is it a crap shoot on getting a good One plus One phone? I've heard of people w/ yellowing screen issues and all that, but wasn't sure if that got sorted out or if it was a minor issue.

Honestly I don't see anything else on the horizon that warrants the "wait and see" game, and I'm not interested in buying a contract phone.

Drifters

so Android bretheren, is it a crap shoot on getting a good One plus One phone? I've heard of people w/ yellowing screen issues and all that, but wasn't sure if that got sorted out or if it was a minor issue.

Honestly I don't see anything else on the horizon that warrants the "wait and see" game, and I'm not interested in buying a contract phone.
Ask yourself this... Do you want to punch yourself in the balls now or later after buying a phone with near 0% customer service or ease of return?

mturco

but everything except screen pinning was already available before 5.0, sure somre weren'ty stock, but hey...

How does that negate the significance of Lollipop? They weren't in Android 4.4 and they are in 5.0. Plus, I don't think I'm alone when I say features being built into Android is preferable to downloading a combination of apps, Xposed modules, and ROMs to achieve the same.

Wreav

Banned
Material design isn't particularly a 5.0 feature IMO, and either way, it's a pretty badly implemented design guideline that wastes tons of space.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I got a Moto X with a wood back at the beginning of December. I noticed a few days ago that the back is starting to very slightly separate from the frame at the bottom. I did a support chat with Motorola's customer service on Friday and was told that it was considered a "cosmetic" issue, and that I only had 14 days after delivery to exchange the device for that reason. I asked if they would consider it a cosmetic issue or a warranty issue if the back completely separated in the next few weeks. The rep told me that would be considered accidental damage and not covered by anything. Needless to say, I'm annoyed. I'm thinking about selling it while it's still in good shape and going back to my G2.

I got a Moto X with a wood back at the beginning of December. I noticed a few days ago that the back is starting to very slightly separate from the frame at the bottom. I did a support chat with Motorola's customer service on Friday and was told that it was considered a "cosmetic" issue, and that I only had 14 days after delivery to exchange the device for that reason. I asked if they would consider it a cosmetic issue or a warranty issue if the back completely separated in the next few weeks. The rep told me that would be considered accidental damage and not covered by anything. Needless to say, I'm annoyed. I'm thinking about selling it while it's still in good shape and going back to my G2.
http://phandroid.com/2015/01/16/defective-nexus-6-battery-cover-separation/

lol nexus 6 had the same problem and motorola offered to replace those phones for people. Sounds like they might have some factory issues.

Great phone. Yellow issues seem to be gone for at least the last few months with newer phones. It feels and looks like a premium phone for $350. I recommend it 100%.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google tried to pull this nonsense with me when my Nexus 5 lettering started to peel off. Go get your warranty booklet and quote from it. I bet there's nowhere that limits cosmetic issues. Here's my email chain. Keep in mind, it's for my N5. YMMV.

Reuel,

Thanks for your email. Yes, correct, that’s the plastic I am describing. The warranty covers “defects in material.” This embedded plastic is part of the material. It falling off the phone is a “defect” and it is a “material.”

As for many Nexus owners using a case or bumper to protect their phone, I did not drop the phone. The NEXUS logo is falling off itself. While it does not affect the tech functionality of the device, it affects the cosmetic functionality of it. And, again, the warranty covers “defects in material.” It is not limited to “defects in functionality.”

Please advise. Thank you.

Thank you for checking back. I have consulted with my supervisor and this is not covered by the warranty

Explain to me exactly how it is not covered by the warranty when I pulled direct quotes from the warranty. I would like a clear explanation. Please have your supervisor directly contact me. Thanks.
They then relented. As if some supervisor wrote the warranty smh

jwk94

Wait, so you have to swipe down to get the back key when playing music on the lockscreen? Who thought that was a good idea?

Groof

Wait, so you have to swipe down to get the back key when playing music on the lockscreen? Who thought that was a good idea?
Google have been a pillar of great ideas lately. Let's not forget that the stupid ass material redesign of the Play Music app was nothing more than a slight change in iconography and a slightly tweaked action bar.
Laziest update among all the updated apps.

Hasney

Google have been a pillar of great ideas lately. Let's not forget that the stupid ass material redesign of the Play Music app was nothing more than a slight change in iconography and a slightly tweaked action bar.
Laziest update among all the updated apps.

Other than moving my beloved Feeling Lucky down so it's not right on the top of the app, I can't really find fault. It's not like Hangouts where it needs a total overhaul, it works anyway.

Groof

Other than moving my beloved Feeling Lucky down so it's not right on the top of the app, I can't really find fault. It's not like Hangouts where it needs a total overhaul, it works anyway.
It looks like a malnourished holo/material bastard child. It's slow, unresponsive and janky. The fact that it has to load in the overflow menus is complete and utter bullshit.

Hasney

It looks like a malnourished holo/material bastard child. It's slow, unresponsive and janky. The fact that it has to load in the overflow menus is complete and utter bullshit.

I'm not getting any of that, but I do have full bars of LTE almost all of the time and ac wifi at home, so it might mitigate a lot of that I guess.

Groof

I'm not getting any of that, but I do have full bars of LTE almost all of the time and ac wifi at home, so it might mitigate a lot of that I guess.
Maybe so, but then that begs the question if it needs an internet connection to open a god damn oveflow menu. Like what?

grmlin

There is one thing I miss though (coming from a Samsung S4 rom). I can no longer "long-press" a quick setting icon to jump directly into the corresponding settings menu :(

I surely miss that.

terrier

I do not understand this discussion about KK vs Lollipop.
Sure, some changes haven't pleased everyone, and some are arguably worse, but that happens all the time.
That said i'll throw my own complain, but for a change from Jellybean to KK -> GPS vs Location. Now i can't disable GPS and use wifi/data location: if i disable location i turn it off completely so when i use maps or here i have to go into settings and allow the full location mode and then change it back to only wifi/data.

Top Bottom