• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Wreav

Banned
HTC should go bankrupt solely for that terrible black HTC band under the screen

My other little quibble is how thick the black band around the screen still is, even after they added more face color. The black band went all the way to the edges last year.

That's really been my only complaint on their previous 3 phones. Camera is subpar but that logo really fucking bothers me.

Well I sorta disagree. I was fine with it on the M7 simply because you had buttons there and not the shitty on screen buttons. So the bar served a purpose. The M8 was dumb cuz they went to dumb on screen buttons but left the bar that now had no purpose. One would have thought they'd fix that in the next iteration and some of the leaks suggested that, but yet here we are. Stupid black bar combined with crappy on screen buttons. I'll take a black bar and no on screen buttons, or a removal of the black bar for on screen buttons, but having both is dumb.

I agree, I'm probably the closest thing you can get to being an HTC fanboy, I've owned HTC phones for 6 years(I consider the Xperia X1 an HTC phone) but if those M8 lookalike leaks are true then HTC can go down in flames for all I care.

M7 is the best phone I've ever owned in terms of build, specs and features for its time. Problem is that was 2013 which is eons ago in phone years, and they're still putting out the same shit with that (now) garbage HTC bezel taking up precious screen estate.

Android OEMS find a horse that can win a single race, then they run that motherfucker into the ground.

I've given MOTO SO MUCH SHIT about design, battery life, etc. But they're the only ones putting in work right now. S6 gonna S6, HTC drops a dud before it even releases, etc etc

Wreav

Banned
Well I sorta disagree. I was fine with it on the M7 simply because you had buttons there and not the shitty on screen buttons. So the bar served a purpose. The M8 was dumb cuz they went to dumb on screen buttons but left the bar that now had no purpose. One would have thought they'd fix that in the next iteration and some of the leaks suggested that, but yet here we are. Stupid black bar combined with crappy on screen buttons. I'll take a black bar and no on screen buttons, or a removal of the black bar for on screen buttons, but having both is dumb.

Their excuse, as usual, will be BUT BOOMSOUND

Wreav

Banned
But yo, you swore up and down in OT4 that this wasn't gonna be the design, even going as far as being snooty with me about condemning it. How are you playing the "as usual" card now?

Judging by reactions today, nobody thought this was really the design. HTC are fucking fools, and no one really thought they were that dumb.

I think it was fair to assume after the N9 that HTC would reuse some design elements (Moto X 2014 and N6 springs to mind).

Hasney

so would you all say the M9 lacks... SIX APPEAL!?

MWAHAHAHAHAHHA

order_score.gif

I've never seriously considered an HTC phone with Android.
That said, I really liked the previous render and honestly thought about getting it with a contract (and I don't do contracts). Sure, it wasn't a thought I entertained for a long time, but it was there for a brief moment.

Now I'm glad they're still using this rubbish design.

so would you all say the M9 lacks... SIX APPEAL!?

MWAHAHAHAHAHHA
You've been waiting to use that lol.

It's about time we got news like this. I was beginning to think we'd only complain about iPhones in here.

I've never seriously considered an HTC phone with Android.
That said, I really liked the previous render and honestly thought about getting it with a contract (and I don't do contracts). Sure, it wasn't a thought I entertained for a long time, but it was there for a brief moment.

Now I'm glad they're still using this rubbish design.
I was really going to buy it based on the previous leak. My friend who is trying to get rid of his busted S3 was looking forward to this.

Volotaire

I won't be considering the S6 unless there is a major overhaul, there is slightly too much uncertainty around Sony' future phone business so I'm curious on LG and OPO now.

anyway, i would like to spend this moment to thank the High Tech Computer Corporation of Taipei City, Taiwan for introducing the 32GB flagship storage standard almost two years ago. finally, in 2015, the dream becomes reality. 32GB flagships for all!

Wreav

Banned
Plenty of small changes. Taller sensor up top, metal bezel on the front face now, camera changes, possibly flatter back.

reKon

Banned
real talk though - the HTC M7 is still the sexiest looking phone I've ever owned. It's just sad that it could be so much better looking if HTC would stop with the fuckery and remove that necessary black bar. Do they even take design feedback in anyway whatsoever? Or are do they ignore all that hire shills to post on popular tech web sites like Samsung does?

gcubed

Well yes, I won't get into why half of your opinion is wrong, but the black logo bar is fine with buttons on it, but it with on screen buttons is dumb shit

Just now catching up on all the madness.

I still think the evleaks leak is the real deal. Plus that spigen image actually shows the evleaks version in a case. Case makers wouldn't be given false dimensions. We haven't seen the M8 Mk 2 in a case have we?

remz

So you'd buy an 8 month old phone because...? Looks? Stupid camera features?

SPITE

The more I look at today's M9 leaks the more I think it's fake. The phone icon has been recoloured from HTC green to blue. Why would they do that? It's off-brand. Same goes for email. Also usually HTC have the icon lineup as Phone Messages # Internet Camera, why replace browser with email?

and the status bar power button is fucking awful and horrible and senseless. Wouldn't the phone need a physical powerbutton to be unlocked? Why bother wasting valuable space on a button people rarely use in such a prominent position? HTC are not that stupid I hope.

Husker86

Just now catching up on all the madness.

I still think the evleaks leak is the real deal. Plus that spigen image actually shows the evleaks version in a case. Case makers wouldn't be given false dimensions. We haven't seen the M8 Mk 2 in a case have we?

Dimensions could be the same between the earlier hotness and the new sucky one. Case makers don't get more than a slab with the right dimensions, right?

Well yes, I won't get into why half of your opinion is wrong, but the black logo bar is fine with buttons on it, but it with on screen buttons is dumb shit

On screen buttons is a waste of screen real estate. It serves no purpose other than to waste space. In theory it could be dynamic, but things like the home and back button are set, so there's no point. Going from 4.7" to 5" you don't gain anything since the buttons take up screen space. Hiding them and then activating them in order to gain back that real estate means now you're doing more steps to do the same thing. There's no advantage. I've yet to see a compelling argument for them.

Dimensions could be the same between the earlier hotness and the new sucky one. Case makers don't get more than a slab with the right dimensions, right?

It can't be the same dimensions because one removes the black bar. Something has to give vertically.

remz

And the spite comes from the fact it looks like the M8?

More that it looks like the M7 and therefore the M8. It's fucking hideous. The two tone gold and silver is tacky as shit. The phone looks dated and horrible. When Samsung is out designing you on phone exteriors you know you're fucked.

The phone in this video to me, doesn't look real. I don't understand why someone put so much effort into a fake but the lighting in this ad is fucked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iE70XFxV_w&feature=youtu.be

More that is looks like the M7 and therefore the M8. It's fucking hideous. The two tone gold and silver is tacky as shit. The phone looks dated and horrible. When Samsung is out designing you on phone exteriors you know you're fucked.

Considering I have a GS4, I may have different tastes in what looks good. I still think the M9 looks fine.

black bar that does nothing = nonsense
black bar that saves screen from being squashed and cluttered with on-screen buttons = sense

gcubed

On screen buttons is a waste of screen real estate. It serves no purpose other than to waste space. In theory it could be dynamic, but things like the home and back button are set, so there's no point. Going from 4.7" to 5" you don't gain anything since the buttons take up screen space. Hiding them and then activating them in order to gain back that real estate means now you're doing more steps to do the same thing. There's no advantage. I've yet to see a compelling argument for them.

It can't be the same dimensions because one removes the black bar. Something has to give vertically.

Men the argument again but almost all games, streaming and video apps auto hide the buttons, so you get more screen real estate when it matters in a smaller case. The argument was valid when they first made the switch, but it's been a long time since I've come across a video or game app that doesn't hide the buttons.

Men the argument again but almost all games, streaming and video apps auto hide the buttons, so you get more screen real estate when it matters in a smaller case. The argument was valid when they first made the switch, but it's been a long time since I've come across a video or game app that doesn't hide the buttons.

Embedded videos that have been put to full screen never hide the buttons for me.

Also, all phones with on screen buttons have a big enough bezel below the screen to house capacitive buttons. Hell, the bottom bezel on my Nexus 5 is bigger than the one above the screen.

I'm gonna reserve the massive face palm directed at HTC for sunday when we know the full story. HTC has admitted that they will be trolling people this year straight up. So we'll see.

I'm gonna reserve the massive face palm directed at HTC for sunday when we know the full story. HTC has admitted that they will be trolling people this year straight up. So we'll see.

For a company not doing so well financially, it seems like their money would be better spent if they are trolling.

CronoShot

Get rid of that fucking black bar HTC. It isn't that hard.

On another note, I recently RMA'd my Nexus 6 because it was having this screen freezing problem, even on the stock ROM.

And wouldn't you know it, the replacement they sent did the exact same thing last night. Fuck you Motorola. Now I have to wait for them to credit me back for the one I sent in, then do the whole RMA process over again.

Get rid of that fucking black bar HTC. It isn't that hard.

On another note, I recently RMA'd my Nexus 6 because it was having this screen freezing problem, even on the stock ROM.

And wouldn't you know it, the replacement they sent did the exact same thing last night. Fuck you Motorola. Now I have to wait for them to credit me back for the one I sent in, then do the whole RMA process over again.
the "replacement" they sent :p

i was really hoping that Sam got taught a lesson for eschewing swappable batteries, but things are looking really bad now... hopefully they will treat their true flagship with respect.

but you don't get more screen real estate in a smaller case as many phones with capacitive or mechanical buttons have the same ratio of screen area to total area. also, claiming that it only matters in games and video apps and shoehorning that into acceptability is straight garbage.

CronoShot

the "replacement" they sent :p

Probably. It happens at random (though particularly while watching videos), so they probably sent me one that someone else sent in for the same problem, and thought "Hey, there's nothing wrong with this one!"

Fucking Motorola. And fucking Nexus. I went through four Nexus 5s before I got a decent one. That line is cursed.

Top Bottom