• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Avixph

Here's what appears to be our first real look at the Samsung Galaxy S6.
GAArpZd.jpg

Wreav

Banned
Looks kinda like a QR-esque code printed on the screen cling. Lots of shit by the cap buttons that doesn't belong either.

Wreav

Banned
Called 3 VZW stores, all claiming to know the N6 is coming but that they haven't received stock nor an official release date.

Avixph

Google just anouced Android for Work.
tablet-phone-2x.jpg

Teaming up to transform business mobility
Android has won over billions of users and become the world's most popular operating system. With Android for Work, device makers, developers, management providers are coming together to make the platform safer, more manageable and ready for business.

Android empowers you to do more
Deploy third-party and internal business apps easily with Google Play for Work. For everyday business tasks, use a suite of business apps for email, contacts and calendar that supports Exchange and Notes and provides document editing capabilities via Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.

phone-briefcase-2x.jpg

Standard security, consistent management
Android for Work creates a secure Work Profile to isolate and protect data and manage the flow of work information. People can use approved work apps right alongside their personal apps while IT administrators can easily manage business data on all Android devices

Wreav

Banned
Fun fact, that little orange/white briefcase logo is named ugly_android_work_icon.png inside the Google Search APK.

SimleuqiR

Google just anouced Android for Work.

I'm confuzzled.

We gotta pay for this?

Edit:

Looks like if you are paying for Apps then it's included:

https://www.google.com/work/apps/business/products/admin/mobile/index.html

Google Apps supports Android device management today and will fully support upcoming Android features for the workplace when available in early 2015. These features will let people create dedicated work and personal profiles so work data is safe and personal information stays private. Learn more about upcoming Android features

That camera bump looks so incredibly amateurish that I can't believe it was approved. What a shitty design. They should really be embarrassed.

Wreav

Banned
The bump is SOOOO much smaller than the renders showed. Slap an Elago or Spiegen thin fit on there and it's flush, who cares.

And the SIM tray isn't thick enough for both a SIM and SD, get used to the Apple life, suckers.

Wreav

Banned
One more post and I'm back to work...real talk: if the S6 can get 3.5hours of SoT and the fingerprint scanner works as good as TouchID...it's kind of a no brainer, especially with that 20mp camera and 128gb.

Google will launch Android Pay at I/O in May

A source close to the matter told Ars on Wednesday that Google will be announcing a new payments API that will be called Android Pay at Google's I/O conference in May. The platform will power in-store and in-app payments for third-party apps.

Android Pay will allow companies to add a mobile payments option to their app, to which users can upload credit card or debit card information, so that payments become single-tap transactions within the app. In addition, a company adopting the Android Pay API will be able to allow tap-to-pay transactions in brick-and-mortar stores. This function will rely on Google’s Host Card Emulation (HCE), which makes it easier for third-party apps to take advantage of Android phones’ Near Field Communications (NFC) chips.

The bump is SOOOO much smaller than the renders showed. Slap an Elago or Spiegen thin fit on there and it's flush, who cares.

And the SIM tray isn't thick enough for both a SIM and SD, get used to the Apple life, suckers.

But that's the thing. The bump is so small, why even bother to make the phone thinner than the camera module. It would look much better (as in "not as ugly”) if it was flush. Absolutely nothing noteworthy was achieved by making it thinner. It's not lighter, it won't feel better in your hand and it won't look better.

Instead they fucked up the back again, but this time you can't replace it.

Wreav

Banned
But that's the thing. The bump is so small, why even bother to make the phone thinner than the camera module. It would look much better (as in "not as ugly”) if it was flush. Absolutely nothing noteworthy was achieved by making it thinner. It's not lighter, it won't feel better in your hand and it won't look better.

Instead they fucked up the back again, but this time you can't replace it.

Every Galaxy has had a camera bump, Note line too. What's your point? Thinner feels better in hand.

I like the look of the S6 but the lack of an SD card slot makes it a non-starter for me. :(

edit: This appears to be the page of near simultaneous double posts... :D

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I....don't think I've ever had SD card anxiety. Though that's probably because 32GB is finally becoming the norm

Top Bottom