• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Saiyan-Rox

I still don't understand the Sony defense force. Their UI is garbage. They probably have the slowest updates even though they aren't even carrier locked. They have fragile as fuck phones. Their screens are ok at best. Their waterproof is actually a negative for me because of all the annoying flaps. The only thing they have really going for them is the fact that they know how to optimize battery.

IMO Sony's weakpoint is software. I love Sony's tablets they're soooo nice but software wise....nah! they take forever to fix anything on any of their products! the Xperia Z had a really really bad battery drain with Google play services a while back that couldn't be fixed by Google and was an issue with the Sony framework. I was using 80% of battery and took them 4 months to update them (afaik may have been longer) and atm they're the last major OEM not to update any device to Lollipop aren't they?

That's the tablet right? Still no word on the Z4? :/

Sony is probably my first choice for an upgrade right now.
and then not get Android M when they fold?

I still don't understand the Sony defense force. Their UI is garbage. They probably have the slowest updates even though they aren't even carrier locked. They have fragile as fuck phones. Their screens are ok at best. Their waterproof is actually a negative for me because of all the annoying flaps. The only thing they have really going for them is the fact that they know how to optimize battery.
you forgot to mention how they sell their camera sensors to everyone else, and everyone else shits on them with their own camera sensors.

Shiggy

Have been having quite some trouble with CM11 on the Galaxy S3. Apps have just disappeared and couldn't be installed anymore, I had to delete the app folders in the data/data directory. Yesterday the phone didn't let me do anything anymore as android.phone.com always crashed.

So I deleted everything and installed Paranoid Android now. Wonder if that's any better. Intending to get the OnePlus One next week.

I still don't understand the Sony defense force.

Their UI is garbage.
They probably have the slowest updates even though they aren't even carrier locked.
They have fragile as fuck phones.
Their screens are ok at best.
Their waterproof is actually a negative for me because of all the annoying flaps.

I read countless android/smartphone websites and I've never seen them complain about the thing's you've listed.

From my perspective they put out top of the line hardware (sn 801, 3/gb RAM, 20 mp camera), one of the best battery lives, waterproofing, SD card, stereo speakers, attractive design, arguably the current best compact android phone with the Z3c, and most others have described the UI as minimalist and smooth, and the screen as very good.

You sound like you're either a Sony hater, are gravely mis-informed, or you had a bad experience with a Sony product and project your disappointment onto their phone.

I read countless android/smartphone websites and I've never seen them complain about the thing's you've listed.

From my perspective they put out top of the line hardware (sn 801, 3/gb RAM, 20 mp camera), one of the best battery lives, waterproofing, SD card, stereo speakers, attractive design, arguably the current best compact android phone with the Z3c, and most others have described the UI as minimalist and smooth, and the screen as very good.

You sound like you're either a Sony hater, are gravely mis-informed, or you had a bad experience with a Sony product and project your disappointment onto their phone.

Hah! The irony bleeds deep.

Touchwiz being garbage is subjective too, but everyone here says it as fact. Which is what I'm doing.
it's subjective overall but some of it I think anyone will agree is just poor design. Especially the settings. That's just badly designed. It's a fact to me. It's confusing, convoluted, etc...a Menu button in 2015 is objectively bad design.

The icons and and the look and feel of every page, that I agree is subjective but the majority (even samsung owners) seem to agree that it's pretty ugly. With that said, that's why launchers exist I guess. I'd never blame anyone for getting a samsung phone, but I also don't blame everyone for ditching it as is what seems to be the case.

That's my frame of thought.

The only con I'm seeing with Xperia phones is the software support. They are severely lacking in that department. I still think the Z3 is a better phone than most other smartphones from 2014.

The only con I'm seeing with Xperia phones is the software support. They are severely lacking in that department. I still think the Z3 is a better phone than most other smartphones from 2014.

Everything i stated and I forgot to mention camera. Yeah it's a good camera, but with a 20 mp camera and their own sensors and other OEMs have better software optimization for their cameras (using Sony sensors) make them laughable.

In what way? Are you saying that there are no other sub 5" phones on the market? Are you saying the Z3c only compares favorably to sub 5" midrange phones, despite the fact the it stands toe-tootoe with any full-size flagship?

Great argument, you're really persuaded me.

In case you didn't figure it out, I wasn't in the very least, trying to.

I'll always respek sony for the Z3C. They were the only ones that didn't treat the small version of their phone like the gimped version like samsung/lg/etc... did.

Not including apple of course.

More like the others didn't do as serious as sony.

There is HTC one mini and S5 mini but both of them is underwhelming

In what way? Are you saying that there are no other sub 5" phones on the market? Are you saying the Z3c only compares favorably to sub 5" midrange phones, despite the fact the it stands toe-tootoe with any full-size flagship?

exactly!

nobody else is even trying, they're content to sell gimped mini versions that will be purchased on name alone. you're always first when you compete alone.

I don't give a fuck about Sony. I'm just tired of seeing so much bullshit floating around NeoGAF recently. It's not helpful and it makes reading the site cringe worthy.

How is it bullshit? I'm not stating anything as fact. No shit it is my personal opinion. I have yet to be swayed by anyone trying to tell me why Sony doesn't suck donkey dick.

I don't give a fuck about Sony. I'm just tired of seeing so much bullshit floating around NeoGAF recently. It's not helpful and it makes reading the site cringe worthy.

How is it bullshit? I'm not stating anything as fact. No shit it is my personal opinion. I have yet to be swayed by anyone trying to tell me why Sony doesn't suck donkey dick.

It isn't what you say as much as it has you say it. Throwing around terms like "fanboy", "defense force" and "suck donkey dick" doesn't elevate the discussion and just makes poisons everything.

Just calm down a little. This isn't gamefaq's. We are just talking about telephones after all.

Articalys

I do hate to interrupt the vibrant discussion currently ongoing, but I had a quick question: if I'm looking to get a tablet with 2GB of RAM, what are a couple of my best options at the moment at each of the two price points of "less than $300" and "more than $300"? Or is there something coming up in the next few months that I should hold out for?

It isn't what you say as much as it has you say it. Throwing around terms like "fanboy", "defense force" and "suck donkey dick" doesn't elevate the discussion and just makes poisons everything.

Just calm down a little. This isn't gamefaq's. We are just talking about telephones after all.

Phones are serious business.

Dio

Banned
It's two days until MWC.

Which is going to be the best phone on display?

I'm probably going to buy the M9 since my roommate has an M7 and I love just holding the thing (I have an old iPhone). If it already looks awesome, why bother fucking with it? That supposed 'leaked' new design with the central front camera looks way, WAY worse than the M7/M8/M9 style.

That said, I'm willing to give the other phones a shot even if the M9 is jumping out at me hardcore, and even if it's mostly aesthetics. I've been told that the Notes were really good, but everything in the S series is mostly garbage, even if it benchmarks well.

Comparing LG of 2014 to LG of 2012 they've come the longest out of them all. The biggest fault of the G3 was the display and even that wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the strange sharpening filter they used. The plastic? Felt good in the hand not gonna lie. This isn't Samsung.

As for the skin, yes it is ugly. But even that has improved leaps and bounds over what it used to be.

Thus LG has been the only one constantly improving.

LG had the most to gain. everyone else was updating their shit and G2x still on Gingerbread while HTC and Sony went to ICS and Samsung went to JB. and it's funny how even the reviewers have been saying the Samsung plastic feels good since the Note 3. still can't believe they had faux stitches on that one lol!

Quasar

Yeah. Its sad theres no real competition in the space the z3c sits in. And really aside from I guess things like the almost pure Moto phones its the only non pure android UI I could accept.

So want to upgrade to a z4c, but now I'm totally scared it will be abandoned.

It's two days until MWC.

Which is going to be the best phone on display?

I'm probably going to buy the M9 since my roommate has an M7 and I love just holding the thing (I have an old iPhone). If it already looks awesome, why bother fucking with it? That supposed 'leaked' new design with the central front camera looks way, WAY worse than the M7/M8/M9 style.

That said, I'm willing to give the other phones a shot even if the M9 is jumping out at me hardcore, and even if it's mostly aesthetics. I've been told that the Notes were really good, but everything in the S series is mostly garbage, even if it benchmarks well.

I love my M7, but the M8 got significantly bigger when it moved to a 5" screen. If the other renders became a reality, the M9 would have been about the same size as the M7 but with a bigger screen. As is, the M7 is on the larger size for a phone of its screen size.

HTC-One-M7-vs-HTC-One-M8.jpg

I do hate to interrupt the vibrant discussion currently ongoing, but I had a quick question: if I'm looking to get a tablet with 2GB of RAM, what are a couple of my best options at the moment at each of the two price points of "less than $300" and "more than $300"? Or is there something coming up in the next few months that I should hold out for?

Nexus 7 (2013), Tab Pro, Tab S, Nexus 9

Just another day at Android Gaf.

The Nexus 7 is a solid choice.
Surface Pro 3 is the only answer though.

I love my M7, but the M8 got significantly bigger when it moved to a 5" screen. If the other renders became a reality, the M9 would have been about the same size as the M7 but with a bigger screen. As is, the M7 is on the larger size for a phone of its screen size.

HTC-One-M7-vs-HTC-One-M8.jpg

The M9 looks exactly like the M8 to me, it doesn't seem like they improved the screen/bezel ratio at all. I'm still hoping HTC is trolling with the newest leaks. An 810 only having to push a 1080p screen would be blazing fast.

Spinluck

Repost from another thread: I usually use spotify, but when I can't find certain things like some game music, movie scores, or lesser known tracks I use YouTube to jam.

But when you suspend it to the background on Android it stops playing the music. Is there an app that quick fixes this?

XBP

Repost from another thread: I usually use spotify, but when I can't find certain things like some game music, movie scores, or lesser known tracks I use YouTube to jam.

But when you suspend it to the background on Android it stops playing the music. Is there an app that quick fixes this?

Youtube music key is supposed to do that

https://www.youtube.com/musickey

Although its still in closed beta and has a subscription service which also gives you a google music all access account.

Try SoundCloud. It usually have game ost, movie scores, and other things.

Articalys

Nexus 7 (2013), Tab Pro, Tab S, Nexus 9

Just another day at Android Gaf.

The Nexus 7 is a solid choice.
Surface Pro 3 is the only answer though.

Nexus 7 is good. I regret selling mine. The battery is ass though and it charges slow as molasses.
Cheers, thanks for the recs and word of caution.

Now I need to go start researching what's best to replace my aging, piece-of-junk old Inc2 phone, and if I should jump ship from Verizon to T-Mobile to do so...

Husker86

If you ditch Spotify and sign up with Google Play Music All Access (ugh, that name..) you get the YouTube music benefits as well, which include no ads and background streaming.

gcubed

So we've basically confirmed that the m9 is m8.2 I assume? With all the tech blogs this morning putting out the "don't judge a book by its cover" garbage it's pretty clear HTC is fucked.

Good riddance

So we've basically confirmed that the m9 is m8.2 I assume? With all the tech blogs this morning putting out the "don't judge a book by its cover" garbage it's pretty clear HTC is fucked.

Good riddance

Still a chance. I doubt it, but there is. Supposedly the leaks of the M9 is the M8i or some shit and the M9 Plus is still a rumor. We'll see sunday.

Top Bottom