• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Anyone see Huawei's new SmartWatch? It looks like a very attractive watch.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/28/8126821/huawei-watch-android-wear-leaked-revealed

fWuvYWJ.jpg

I can't believe that Huawei was able to pull it off, while Motorola couldn't. It looks great. Better than the Apple Watch, too.

I hope the charging cradle is just as well designed and not just a piece a plastic. Hopefully they'll announce a price tomorrow as well.

e: The videos are terrible, though. It's also pretty fat and big (I hope it means good battery life) and I still don't see how Android Wear is useful.

I'd definitely buy one if it was $200, but I have a feeling it'll probably be $250-$300 and that makes it hard to justify buying a smart-watch at those prices.

That being said it's definitely the best looking watch I've seen and I'm surprised Huawei is the one making it because I'd have expected another big Android manufacturer to come up with something like this.

Nakazato

Got a nexus 6. One plus 2 might be my next phone if they fix a lot of the reception issues

Love the shit out of mine be the reception issues made it in unreliable

Dio

Banned
I know the HTC bar is a point of contention for some people, and it looks like the M9 is basically the M8 again...but other than that, are there any non-appearance/size related issues that might pop up?

Personally, my old iPhone has even more 'wasted space' than that bar, so it doesn't bother me much - but if there's some sort of potential hardware issue, I want to hear it.

If I want a new, top of the line flagship phone as soon as possible without waiting until Q2, what do you recommend? I like getting cutting edge and riding it out as long as possible.

Note: I've never used Android outside of my roommate's M7 for a few minutes and I've never used the new iPhones, just seen them in action.

I think the M7/8/9 design is really awesome. I love the tiny dot speaker things. However, if there's a better phone coming in Q1 that I should be aware of, then I'd like to know.

I know the HTC bar is a point of contention for some people, and it looks like the M9 is basically the M8 again...but other than that, are there any non-appearance/size related issues that might pop up?

Personally, my old iPhone has even more 'wasted space' than that bar, so it doesn't bother me much - but if there's some sort of potential hardware issue, I want to hear it.

If I want a new, top of the line flagship phone as soon as possible without waiting until Q2, what do you recommend? I like getting cutting edge and riding it out as long as possible.

Note: I've never used Android outside of my roommate's M7 for a few minutes and I've never used the new iPhones, just seen them in action.

I think the M7/8/9 design is really awesome. I love the tiny dot speaker things. However, if there's a better phone coming in Q1 that I should be aware of, then I'd like to know.
Depends what you won't tolerate. If you don't mind skins and all that regardless of which skin it is, then get an S6 over an M9 for longevity/performance.

If you hate touchwiz then get the M9. Or wait slightly longer and get an LG G4 which can't be far behind but to me LG and samsung are the same stuff :p

Dio

Banned
Depends what you won't tolerate. If you don't mind skins and all that regardless of which skin it is, then get an S6 over an M9 for longevity/performance.

If you hate touchwiz then get the M9. Or wait slightly longer and get an LG G4 which can't be far behind but to me LG and samsung are the same stuff :p
I've been poring over specs for a while, and this is pretty much speculation, but if the S6 has a smaller battery than the S5, a QuadHD screen, etc etc won't it have a much worse battery life than the M9, which appears to use a 1080p display (a huge bump up from my screen, but not QHD) and a battery almost 500 mAh more than the S6?

There's also the memory card expansion, which I will attempt to take advantage of if it's on either phone. I have a ridiculous amount of music.

Also I don't know anything about TouchWiz since I have never used it. Like I said, I don't know what any of these skins are like except a bit of Sense. My roommate seems to love Blinkfeed.

I've been poring over specs for a while, and this is pretty much speculation, but if the S6 has a smaller battery than the S5, a QuadHD screen, etc etc won't it have a much worse battery life than the M9, which appears to use a 1080p display (a huge bump up from my screen, but not QHD) and a battery almost 500 mAh more than the S6?

There's also the memory card expansion, which I will attempt to take advantage of if it's on either phone. I have a ridiculous amount of music.
There's a chance that the M9 could have better battery life but the Exynos chip in the S6 is supposedly a lot more efficient so it will probably make up for the mAh count and then a bit.

I doubt either phone will have an SD card slot but the S6 will apparently come in 32/64/128 versions.

Also I don't know anything about TouchWiz since I have never used it. Like I said, I don't know what any of these skins are like except a bit of Sense. My roommate seems to love Blinkfeed.
Different strokes. Blinkfeed was the first thing I turned off/disabled when I had a One. Either way I guess skins aren't a huge deal since you can just use a launcher. The S6 will factually have the better hardware though in terms of camera performance and speed and all that jazz.

Dio

Banned
There's a chance that the M9 could have better battery life but the Exynos chip in the S6 is supposedly a lot more efficient so it will probably make up for the mAh count and then a bit.

I doubt either phone will have an SD card slot but the S6 will apparently come in 32/64/128 versions.

Different strokes. Blinkfeed was the first thing I turned off/disabled when I had a One. Either way I guess skins aren't a huge deal since you can just use a launcher. The S6 will factually have the better hardware though in terms of camera performance and speed and all that jazz.

All right. Since the M8 has an SD slot, and the M9 is just an M8 basically, it seems that they're going to have one in there. Wasn't sure about the S6.

I love my M7, but I think this puts it in perspective:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/HT...42/size/LG-G3,Google-Nexus-5/phones/8347,8148

Look at the size of that. The M8/M9 is the same size as the LG G3 but the M8/M9 is a 5" screen and the LG G3 is a 5.5" screen. Now look at the Nexus 5. That's a 5" screen too but look how much smaller it is. The Nexus 5 is also the same size as the HTC One M7 which was a 4.7" screen. HTC phones are big for their relative screen size. With the M7 I was fine since it has physical buttons in the bar. Now that the buttons are on screen, there's really no point to that extra real estate space on a phone that was big for it's size to begin with. That's my main complaint about the M9.

I love my M7, but I think this puts it in perspective:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/HTC...ones/8347,8148

Look at the size of that. The M8/M9 is the same size as the LG G3 but the M8/M9 is a 5" screen and the LG G3 is a 5.5" screen. Now look at the Nexus 5. That's a 5" screen too but look how much smaller it is. The Nexus 5 is also the same size as the HTC One M7 which was a 4.7" screen. HTC phones are big for their relative screen size. With the M7 I was fine since it has physical buttons in the bar. Now that the buttons are on screen, there's really no point to that extra real estate space on a phone that was big for it's size to begin with. That's my main complaint about the M9.
based nexus 5 man.

Give me the same thing this year with upgraded battery and camera and soc and we are good to go. No need to design a phone from scratch

Dio

Banned

Also, if the rumored prices of the S6 are true, then I certainly don't want to pay over a thousand dollars just to get a model with 128gb of storage. I'd much rather just put in an SD card myself.

fWuvYWJ.jpg

I can't believe that Huawei was able to pull it off, while Motorola couldn't. It looks great. Better than the Apple Watch, too.

I hope the charging cradle is just as well designed and not just a piece a plastic. Hopefully they'll announce a price tomorrow as well.

e: The videos are terrible, though. It's also pretty fat and big (I hope it means good battery life) and I still don't see how Android Wear is useful.

Wow. That is awesome. :). Day one for me

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well that's pretty much my opinion of watches generally. Never had time for them in all my life.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had been indoctrinated as a child.

I love my Pebble, probably the best/most useful gadget I've bought in a long time.

Well that's pretty much my opinion of watches generally. Never had time for them in all my life.

I want one to be able to discreetly check incoming alerts during meetings, or while out with my fiance. I would also use it when navigating on foot or on bicycle. I wear a garmin vivofit band now, so this just seems like a natural evolution of that.

Dio

Banned

In my case, I tried wearing watches through my entire teenage years.

After losing my tenth watch because I took it off to do something, I never wore one again. I never got used to the wristbands, either.

Quasar

After losing my tenth watch because I took it off to do something, I never wore one again. I never got used to the wristbands, either.

Heh. It took me long enough to remember to always take my phone with me.

As for the watch thing as a child, part of it probably was simply little need for one. Another aspect I think was only ever been given cheaper watches and spending lots of time in pools/beaches as a child and then having the hassle of dealing with taking watches off. Then again I also have never been into jewelry.

Skinny wrists also did not help.

I find it much more useful as a parent and not having to jumble around grabbing my phone out of my pocket while carrying a kid and other things. Way way easier to just look at my wrist to check the time. This is coming from someone who didn't wear a watch because I always checked time on my phone. A watch is way more useful when your hands are doing things.

Eh? I just never take mine off. It's always there.

j-wood

I got my nexus 6 in today (on Verizon). I have a shared data plan and I was just able to turn on portable hotspot? Why was I reading that people had to edit files to do that?

When you don't want to get water damage, I don't see why you wouldn't take it off, unless you shelled out for a waterproof watch.

Pretty much every single watch is waterproof. Only time I take my watch off is to put on a different watch.

I was thinking about why Google would want Huawei to work on a Nexus other than cheaper prices...

pmHtBAi.png

They're already manufacturing these and I'm sure it's something google is going to want to push with android pay and all that just like apple.

I don't like that the Ascend Mate 7 is 6 inches and giant though :( Even though google will decide the screen size.

So lets hope we have two nexus phones to choose from.

Dio

Banned
Most watches are water resistant.
I must have a bad string of luck then. Last watch I got years ago was 'water resistant' and got water damage very quickly.

e: Man, I hope a new Note gets revealed. I hear great things about the 4.

Decided to try out a new launcher after using the Google Now Launcher for awhile. I ended up trying out Aviate by Yahoo and I have to say it's a very well designed UI which I didn't expect from a company like Yahoo.

Top Bottom