• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Gonna wake up tomorrow, get myself a GOAT bagel from my local bagel place and some coffee to watch that HTC shit tomorrow morning. It's gonna be glorious.

j-wood

Posting again for the new page. Am I go I g to get overcharged?

I got my nexus 6 in today (on Verizon). I have a shared data plan and I was just able to turn on portable hotspot? Why was I reading that people had to edit files to do that?

Husker86

Posting again for the new page. Am I go I g to get overcharged?

I got my nexus 6 in today (on Verizon). I have a shared data plan and I was just able to turn on portable hotspot? Why was I reading that people had to edit files to do that?
Shared plans like that include mobile hotspot.

You only have to work around it if you're on a several year old plan.

gcubed

Unless I'm missing something, it's not letting me watch stuff I already own.

The actual app store portion got pulled from the play store because they tried to sneak a third party store into an app. You have to download the app store from an external source to be able to use the video portion (external source ie... amazon, and enable 3rd party apps)

Unless I'm missing something, it's not letting me watch stuff I already own.
Make sure you've downloaded it off of Amazon's site and not the Google Play Store.

Google Search "Amazon Appstore for Android" then install the store off of Amazon's link. Next open the Appstore and search for the Amazon Instant Video app and download it then open it and it'll let you watch content.

Cipherr

Damn I knew the second gen of smart watches was going to be refined, but jesus. Every one of them I see looks better and better. Its reaching the great design level quickly, now to refocus on battery life and we will have ourselves some fun.

I've been poring over specs for a while, and this is pretty much speculation, but if the S6 has a smaller battery than the S5, a QuadHD screen, etc etc won't it have a much worse battery life than the M9, which appears to use a 1080p display (a huge bump up from my screen, but not QHD) and a battery almost 500 mAh more than the S6?

FinFET

FinFET

FinFET

FinFET

FinFET

NotBacon

MKB said the N6 was his daily driver and he uses a 1+1 at trade shows because the 1+1 has crazy battery life. he also said the Note 4 was the best phone in 2014 so get a Note 4.

Hey you, STOP. Jk I was about to post the same thing, except for the last sentence, because I'm in the master race.

Also, if MKBHD doesn't use it as his daily driver........... is it really the best? o_O

#steelcutoats

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Gonna wake up tomorrow, get myself a GOAT bagel from my local bagel place and some coffee to watch that HTC shit tomorrow morning. It's gonna be glorious.

There should be some meltdowns on XDA considering some people are still holding out hope that the evleaks render will appear in some form -_-

Saw this on Reddit. Looks like Best Buy jumped the shark and have already posted the HTC M9 Product page.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/htc-one...at-t/3930032.p?id=1219609309193&skuId=3930032

No surprises spec wise with the following listed:
Snapdragon 810 clocked at 2Ghz with 3GB's of RAM.
Android 5.0 Lollipop.
5" Super LCD3 Screen.
32GB Internal Memory with expandable Micro SD Slot.
20MP Rear Camera with 4MP Front Camera.
Price is $650 off-contract.

Actual dimensions is kinda nice to know.

For reference going off Best Buy's page the HTC M9 dimensions are as followed:
5.68 inches tall, 2.73 inches wide, 0.38 inches depth with a weight of 4.96 ounces.

The M8 in comparison.
5.76 inches tall, 2.78 wide, 0.37 inches depth and 5.64 ounces weight

IKEA is integrating Qi charging into their furniture and none of the 2015 Android flagship phones so far support it. What a mess.

Hopefully LG will do it again with the G4, but who knows.

]IKEA is integrating Qi charging into their furniture[/B] and none of the 2015 Android flagship phones so far support it. What a mess.

That is really cool.

Ikea-wireless-charging-furniture_dezeen_468_6.jpg

Groof

IKEA is integrating Qi charging into their furniture and none of the 2015 Android flagship phones so far support it. What a mess.

I will definitely be hopping on one of their desk lamps once they hit stores. Qi charging is amazing and if OEMs forgo it, they're stupid.

Here's an article about the Ikea Qi stuff.
http://m.windowscentral.com/ikea-integrate-qi-charging-some-furniture-starting-april-2015

I will definitely be hopping on one of their desk lamps once they hit stores. Qi charging is amazing and if OEMs forgo it, they're stupid.

It really is the best thing ever in smart phones. And while I agree that OEMs are stupid for not putting it in by default, it also hinders any kind of meaningful adoption by the mass market. Microsoft (Nokia), Verizon(!) and Google are the only ones who really back it. How absurd is that. The rest of the OEMs sometimes have it, then don't, then only in the Verizon variant no one wants (HTC 8X, Z3v, most Droid phones) or only as an accessory, which only works if you have a removable back like Samsung (oh, wait!) or costs way too much (hello, Sony!).

This shit is really frustrating.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
based nexus 5 man.

Give me the same thing this year with upgraded battery and camera and soc and we are good to go. No need to design a phone from scratch

Yes. An N5 with upgraded internals is literally EXACTLY what I want. It's pretty much the perfect phone in terms of size, form factor and looks. Maybe they could trim just a few mm off the bottom bezel so the top and bottom match, but that doesn't really matter. Keep the display 1080p, no need for anything higher at 5". Maybe go back to AMOLED now that they aren't necessarily shitty anymore. Would be nice to have the perfect blacks back from the GN (but not all the other issues with that display). Just make sure the color reproduction is still accurate (the N5 is far superior to the N6 there from what I've understood).

But yeah, do that, and I'd be prepared to pay for it even if it wasn't as cheap as the N5.

That's awesome. I have a great Qi charger (the flat Nexus one), but it would be cool to have more surfaces where I could just plop my phone down to charge it.

Vitanimus

can we form a prayer circle for the M9 Plus please

I'm in the camp of being pretty disappointed with the M9 so far considering it seems like a relatively minor upgrade bar the camera

Groof

Watching videos of the LG mid-rangers and seeing that they're all slightly curved, I'm beginning to assume the G4 will also be. Not as dramatic as the Flex 2, though.

The Huawei watch has the highest pixel density of all Android smart watches so far, a resolution of 400x400, is OLED and has a perfectly round display.

God, I wish Motorola had waited another year.

Hasney

The Huawei watch has the highest pixel density of all Android smart watches so far, a resolution of 400x400, is OLED and has a perfectly round display.

God, I wish Motorola had waited another year.

It's also not using a stupid processor like Moto did, which is even better for me.

The funniest is the flat tire thing on the Moto 360 because they knew it existed and thought "Ehhh good enough". Companies with that mentality scare me sometimes.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The actual app store portion got pulled from the play store because they tried to sneak a third party store into an app. You have to download the app store from an external source to be able to use the video portion (external source ie... amazon, and enable 3rd party apps)

Make sure you've downloaded it off of Amazon's site and not the Google Play Store.

Google Search "Amazon Appstore for Android" then install the store off of Amazon's link. Next open the Appstore and search for the Amazon Instant Video app and download it then open it and it'll let you watch content.
Oy vey! Had to install three apps in order to play my videos through an a service that doesn't support Chromecast. Good jon, Amazon.

Either way, thanks guys.

The funniest is the flat tire thing on the Moto 360 because they knew it existed and thought "Ehhh good enough". Companies with that mentality scare me sometimes.

I actually believe they thought they could fix it in time, because when you look at the few pictures of the pre-release version that were leaked before the announcement, it shows that the charging UI was designed with a round display in mind.

They then reworked the UI for the release version.

mIiOCP3.jpg

At least now we know for certain that the second gen is definitely going to have a round display without the flat tire.

Meh I'll consider a smartwatch in 2 years or so. I'm sure by then they'll be fully cooked with amazing battery life/software.

What's more important to you. An optimized and refined product sometime later, or a shiny new toy right now?

Thought so!

But seriously, I can't even say that I like the concept of a smart watch, because I don't even know what the concept of a smart watch is supposed to be. Like, I know it shows the notifications of your phone on your wrist, but that can't be it, can it? It's convenience, that much I get, but it's not $250-$300 convenient.

I still want one, because shiny new thing (that is useless in a year or two).
I can't even imagine how fast battery degradation kicks in with these tiny batteries (if it works like that, I don't know). 1 1/2 days of battery at the beginning and a year later it lasts only half a day with light use. And no way to quickly swap the battery.

Top Bottom