• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

What's more important to you. An optimized and refined product sometime later, or a shiny new toy right now?

Thought so!

But seriously, I can't even say that I like the concept of a smart watch, because I don't even know what the concept of a smart watch is supposed to be. Like, I know it shows the notifications of your phone on your wrist, but that can't be it, can it? It's convenience, that much I get, but it's not $250-$300 convenient.

I still want one, because shiny new thing (that is useless in a year or two).
I can't even imagine how fast battery degradation kicks in with these tiny batteries (if it works like that, I don't know). 1 1/2 days of battery at the beginning and a year later it lasts only half a day with light use. And no way to quickly swap the battery.
As a lot of people on GAF I'm a sucker for new technology and want to get everything all the time but the smartwatches have been the easiest for me to not care about yet. It helps that I'm wearing a $500 watch that I like a ton every day so I just haven't seen anything that has the features and look that are good enough for me to ditch my current watch.

I just don't see any of it as all too desirable.

But seriously, I can't even say that I like the concept of a smart watch, because I don't even know what the concept of a smart watch is supposed to be. Like, I know it shows the notifications of your phone on your wrist, but that can't be it, can it? It's convenience, that much I get, but it's not $250-$300 convenient.

You do realize that there are many people who buy $300+ watches that do nothing but tell time right? A $200-$300 smart watch is really not a big stretch, certainly not mainstream, but neither were smart phones when they first came out.

I used the Xperia M4 Aqua the other day, if the price is about £150-170 it could be the new mid-range class leader. The screen is a very good 5.2" 720p, it has an uncovered USB port, 16GB+SD, 2GB RAM and a quad core SD610. Sadly this is Sony we're talking about so they will try and flog it at £250 for a few months, realise that it isn't working then cut the price to £150 when the market has been saturated by Motorola, Lenovo and Huawei. We'll see tomorrow I guess, but the E4G is up for pre-order for £109 so there is a chance that Sony will give it a decent price point.

You do realize that there are many people who buy $300+ watches that do nothing but tell time right? A $200-$300 smart watch is really not a big stretch, certainly not mainstream, but neither were smart phones when they first came out.

Right. But those watches are considered accessories or jewelry that tell the time (as a bonus) and their battery doesn't die after a day of usage, won't be useless in a year and when its battery dies completely, it can be easily replaced. Smart watches are being beta tested right now, real watches can last decades. So you're getting a bit more out of your $300 or $3000 watch. You can't say the same about a smart watch.

Why can't a $200 smartwatch last at least a few years? Sure there's upgrades, but it's not like they won't still function exactly the same. Trust me, if you're worried about battery life, your Android Wear watch that is being charged everyday now won't magically start needing to charge monthly.

Why can't a $200 smartwatch last at least a few years? Sure there's upgrades, but it's not like they won't still function exactly the same. Trust me, if you're worried about battery life, your Android Wear watch that is being charged everyday now won't magically start needing to charge monthly.

I'm talking about the life of the battery. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a rechargeable battery has only so many charging cycles and won't hold the capacity after a year or two like it did at the beginning. The battery of my Galaxy Nexus wasn't great to begin with, but at the end if barely lasted until the afternoon, if I didn't charge it in between. I don't see how it's going to be different with the watches.

Avixph

Hey peeps here's a whole Gallery with pictures of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

aUQOTX7.jpg

RvBIGue.jpg

L1mlD71.jpg

ZGINGvL.jpg

Where are you guys watching this? I go to the link posted and all I see is countdown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWhM_oHr558#t=1581
I used the Xperia M4 Aqua the other day, if the price is about £150-170 it could be the new mid-range class leader. The screen is a very good 5.2" 720p, it has an uncovered USB port, 16GB+SD, 2GB RAM and a quad core SD610. Sadly this is Sony we're talking about so they will try and flog it at £250 for a few months, realise that it isn't working then cut the price to £150 when the market has been saturated by Motorola, Lenovo and Huawei. We'll see tomorrow I guess, but the E4G is up for pre-order for £109 so there is a chance that Sony will give it a decent price point.
sony's mobile business in a nutshell is one of lost opportunity

Man the M9 looks boring as fuck. It is literally just the M8 with a better camera and this year's processor.

People wonder why Apple make all of the money in the smartphone industry.

Man the M9 looks boring as fuck. It is literally just the M8 with a better camera and this year's processor.

People wonder why Apple make all of the money in the smartphone industry.

While I agree with you, we're in the year where Apple is going to announce the exact same smartphone they did last year, but with better internals.

kharma45

The pink M9 looks awful. Should've made a deep red one.

At least it isn't a long wait for it to launch. Mid March is a good turnaround time.

longdi

Banned

It will go up against Galaxy A5 then.

I played with the bigger A7 and tbh it was pretty decent for something that is 70% the price of Note4!

Metal frame. Pretty fast UI, occasional lag. Very nice 5.5" 1080p amoled pentile that don't seem too downgraded from Note4, if any. Oct-core SD615 and dual sim! The A5 is less impressive of course, especially with a sucky 720p amoled pentile.

With 2015 looking like a skip year, we may see the battle for mid-priced phones instead. Heard that Samsung Galaxy A series are phones made to compete against the cheaper China manufacturers.

While I agree with you, we're in the year where Apple is going to announce the exact same smartphone they did last year, but with better internals.
people used to complain that apple did smaller upgrades every other year meanwhile the design language on galaxy/htc phones last for years and years.

Everyone is moving away from fitness bands. Just in time for HTC.

Pity it doesn't seem like the camera has OIS.

It uses the Sony IMX220 which doesn't have native OIS and HTC don't make any of their own hardware so wouldn't be able to add it like Nokia used to with the 920.

Apple have no competition in their sector, they are the only company making iOS phones additionally this is the third year running for the the same hardware design for HTC. Literally nothing has changed since the M7, even the awful HTC bar is still there and it still has massive and useless bezels. Sony have the same problem IMO, their basic design for the Z-series hasn't changed since the Z1, but since they refresh every 6 months their evolutionary approach makes a bit more sense (only slightly though).

grmlin

These S6 Photos, the edge will be crazy attractive to scratches. The UI looks so... these icons.

And the M9? I was really looking forward to it after seeing the first (awesome looking) leaks. I'm glad I went with the 6+ for now (and the next 2 years probably)

Top Bottom