• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

feGJ1Hp.jpg

Good to see Samsung hasn't learned shit. I can't believe they still have all this garbage in the notification center that takes up 1/3 of the screen. Who uses this S Connect and Quick Finder shit?

lmfao

people used to complain that apple did smaller upgrades every other year meanwhile the design language on galaxy/htc phones last for years and years.

Everyone is moving away from fitness bands. Just in time for HTC.

You can say that about Samsung's design, but HTC did design a completely new phone two years ago, even iterated on its design last year (so it's not a total refresh), but people definitely expected another new design this year (see: the leaks and reactions when they weren't real). HTC reusing the design language a second time is actually a surprise and not expected.

As someone who uses the multi-tasking button a lot that power button would fuck me up, who the hell came up with that idea in the first place!?

Stupid idea. If it isn't optional it is actually a reason against buying this phone. It's like anti-innovation.

I guess the next round of disappointment begins at 12:30 eastern. Should be good times. I'm surprised that was only about 30 minutes. But I guess there isn't a lot to say. It's the same phone, a fitness band and another VR thing touting the same promises as the rest.

I guess the next round of disappointment begins at 12:30 eastern. Should be good times. I'm surprised that was only about 30 minutes. But I guess there isn't a lot to say. It's the same phone, a fitness band and another VR thing touting the same promises as the rest.

Should I even stay awake for this?

Hasney

I don;t care about the power button, I can root that out. It still would have been fine without that HTC bar and the black line of bezel before going back to the main bezel around the rest of it. In fact, without those two things, it would be a good looking phone from the front.

Milchjon

Samsung's hideous design choices truly are the last thing I can always depend on in an ever faster changing world.

I think I will choose them as my God.

This might be the worst MWC in recent memory. It ain't over yet but barring a big surprise, it's gonna bomb. Please save us random unknown OEM.

This might be the worst MWC in recent memory. It ain't over yet but barring a big surprise, it's gonna bomb. Please save us random unknown OEM.

Smartphone innovation has ground to a halt in hardware terms, all of the new stuff will come from Google via the software.

Companies can only make screens so big or processors so fast before everything becomes the same.

Additionally MWC is at the wrong time of year just like CES. A lot of companies don't like showing off new devices when their old ones are still selling well. Sony aren't showing the Z4 for that reason, Z3/Z3C sales are still going well for them and they have finally realised that showing and releasing a successor s quickly is bad for business.

For companies like HTC who don't make any of their own hardware MWC is not a problem but for the likes of Samsung, Sony or Apple who have a much higher degree of vertical integration a July-September release would make much more sense, it's why Sony and Samsung's H2 phones are much better and why Apple aligns iPhone with September.

Oh wow, they went for the Toshiba sensor module instead of the IMX220. What a piece of fail that is, I read a report late last year that Toshiba were embarrassed by how bad their latest small sensors are. I had just assumed no one would buy them. :O

Hasney

Small phones that are good.

Hmm Aaron Baker works for HTC?

That's not been the focus for several years. Hell, even the Z3C wasn't at MWC so I don't know why you'd expect this to be the year for that with no buzz suggesting there would be?

Smartphone innovation has ground to a halt in hardware terms, all of the new stuff will come from Google via the software.

Companies can only make screens so big or processors so fast before everything becomes the same.

Additionally MWC is at the wrong time of year just like CES. A lot of companies don't like showing off new devices when their old ones are still selling well. Sony aren't showing the Z4 for that reason, Z3/Z3C sales are still going well for them and they have finally realised that showing and releasing a successor s quickly is bad for business.

For companies like HTC who don't make any of their own hardware MWC is not a problem but for the likes of Samsung, Sony or Apple who have a much higher degree of vertical integration a July-September release would make much more sense, it's why Sony and Samsung's H2 phones are much better and why Apple aligns iPhone with September.

Sony wise, the rumblings were that Z4 would be at MWC and be out early this year to get on the 64-bit train, then go to a yearly schedule. But with the heat throttling issues, they've decided to wait it out and see if that could be corrected.

An 810 in a compact form factor would be awful as it stands, so it's probably the best call.

Dio

Banned
God damnit. My old phone's on its last legs and I want a new one, really really soon, but the sheer negativity surrounding all the announcements at MWC is making me want to wait even though I can't. Sue me, I'm impressionable.

Maybe I should just get a phone from late 2014 instead.

besiktas1

Whats the best phone I can get my mum as a present for around £100?
It'll be her first smart phone but I did get her an ipad a couple years ago....

I thought the M9 was going to be the same as the M8 but with the camera finally better but apparently the camera isn't that good. lol. There's always next year for them!

Top Bottom