• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Sony wise, the rumblings were that Z4 would be at MWC and be out early this year to get on the 64-bit train, then go to a yearly schedule. But with the heat throttling issues, they've decided to wait it out and see if that could be corrected.

An 810 in a compact form factor would be awful as it stands, so it's probably the best call.

Yes, I had heard that, but I have also heard that the new camera module isn't going to be ready until the second quarter so that may also have been a factor and the integration of high resolution audio hardware is going badly so that could also be a factor.

I am also not sure about the S810 heat issues, almost all of those rumours have come from Korean media sources aligned with Samsung who have so much excess foundry capacity they forced their mobile division to go with Exynos and drop Qualcomm. The bigger issue with the 810 is software optimisation to use the 8 cores properly, again something for which all of the OEMs will have to spend resources modifying Android which takes time. The G Flex 2 heats up, but it has a strange design and LG are pretty terrible with software and they fuck up with heat dissipation quite regularly.
24 hour hands on from Michael Fisher

http://pocketnow.com/2015/03/01/htc-one-m9-hands-on

zomg, he says in the article it's a Toshiba camera sensor. I presume an error on his part?

Nope, poor assumption on my part. I didn't realise anyone would be insane enough to use the Toshiba sensor now that the IMX220 is available to external customers.

Avixph

FqzCyHE.png

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Remember, folks. We could've had this.

But instead we got this.

It's not an iPhone, so no surprises here.

I was actually scared that HTC trolled everyone extremely hard and were going to show the evleaks version when they were showing that video during the conference where the front of the phone was hidden and looked like all glass. I'm glad it turned out to be M8.2 because I've already convinced myself not to get the M9.

And it looks like the camera still sucks despite being upgraded to a 20 MP shooter, removing the only reason I would even consider upgrading for.

Sorry HTC, you dropped the ball hard this year. Also, loved the dig by Verge at the beginning of the video, they pretty much released the M8 again design-wise.

sure, phones that are the same size as other phones but have a much larger screen. shocking. or its little brother, the moto x, some people who use the z3c say it, but i can't tell from pictures.

Now that I'm looking at the Moto phones again, I'm afraid you're right. Although you have to admit that they cheated a bit, by making it look like they have dual front speakers going on, but have that huge and ugly grill at the bottom for the microphone.

Still not thin enough to warrant the wasted screen space. I'll accept them, once everyone moved one to something like that Sharp Aquos phone, but less ugly.

gcubed

Now that I'm looking at the Moto phones again, I'm afraid you're right. Although you have to admit that they cheated a bit, by making it look like they have dual front speakers going on, but have that huge and ugly grill at the bottom for the microphone.

Still not thin enough to warrant the wasted screen space. I'll accept them, once everyone moved one to something like that Sharp Aquos phone, but less ugly.

The lg g3.

I don't even want a phone with no bezels, think it would be terrible to use, but you are alright in my book for not liking the aquos.

The fourth software button on the M9 is customizable. You can switch between a power button and a notification button that opens the notification center. I suppose you can turn it off as well.

The lg g3.

I don't even want a phone with no bezels, think it would be terrible to use

Still enough space.

Z2VJoNp.jpg

And yes, I don't want a phone without bezels either. I'm just saying that if that were the case, I'd see a reasonable need for software buttons.

Volotaire

I don't get the m9 hate.

Didin't people like the m8?

I think the design is getting slightly progressively worse as they've moved on. Looking at the hands on videos in the past hour, it doesn't look as bad as I envisioned or as the leaks showed. Still, it has some questionable design choices. Apart from that, I think other posters want some real change from the handset. Moreover, with the weakest aspect of the One series (the camera), the previews of the camera do not sound appealing (something they have struggled with for the past two years).

I don't get the m9 hate.

The M8 was a nicely built phone, but it fell short in some key areas, namely the screen size/ bezel ratio and camera. The early pictures by evleaks showed a gorgeous phone with much smaller bezels, so the revelation that the M9 looks identical to the M8 is highly disappointing. That and the camera might not be all to great either and it really makes you wonder what HTC had been doing all year.

HTC didn't even try this year. It's like they gave up on phones. Samsung will be much better. New design. Revised software. Better camera. Neither seem like a huge jump over my OnePlus One and I only paid $350 for that compared to the $700 these will retail for.

The M8 was a nicely built phone, but it fell short in some key areas, namely the screen size/ bezel ratio and camera. The early pictures by evleaks showed a gorgeous phone with much smaller bezels, so the revelation that the M9 looks identical to the M8 is highly disappointing. That and the camera might not be all to great either and it really makes you wonder what HTC had been doing all year.

Working hard on the silver/gold finish, according to the guy at the press conference. I'm not even kidding, it's exactly what he said.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't get the m9 hate.

It's the same exact phone for the 3rd year in a row, except uglier. They did improve on the M8 a little bit but still uglier compared to the M7.

The camera is garbage too, and, outside of the theme customization, which I think is cool novelty but nothing groundbreaking, they're not doing anything too exciting on the software front.

Their only saving grace at this point is the speakers and the fact that Touchwiz still looks disgusting compared to Sense.

j-wood

So I just got my nexus 6 and I love it so far, but I have a couple of questions.

1. My phone updated to 5.01. I saw some droid life posts about 5.02. Is google not rolling that out to the n6 yet?

2. How do I get voicemail to work on Verizon?

Saiyan-Rox

So I just got my nexus 6 and I love it so far, but I have a couple of questions.

1. My phone updated to 5.01. I saw some droid life posts about 5.02. Is google not rolling that out to the n6 yet?

2. How do I get voicemail to work on Verizon?

5.0.2 had a fix for some tablets it hasn't been released for any of the phones just tabs. (except for custom ROMS)

Top Bottom