• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

So a phone that still has a mediocre camera and basically only minor improvements here and there in the M9. Or the S6 where you don't have a removable battery, waterproofing or microSD cards anymore...

Come and save us Sony. Or fuck, Motorola for that matter.

No MicroSD, no removable battery, looks like the bastard child of an S3/iPhone 6 and they got rid of the waterproofing despite not having a removable battery.

What were they thinking. So many people I know have stuck with Samsung through thick and thin (a lot of thin lately) because they have removable batteries so they can carry spares. Seems like a step backwards.

I don't care about removable battery. Honestly I've never utilized it and rather just have a portable charger as it's more universal. And wireless charging built in?! Hope this starts a trend for other OEMs.

So I just got my nexus 6 and I love it so far, but I have a couple of questions.

1. My phone updated to 5.01. I saw some droid life posts about 5.02. Is google not rolling that out to the n6 yet?

2. How do I get voicemail to work on Verizon?

1. Your next OS is 5.1 due out very soon. 5.0.2 was for the nexus 7 tablet

2. Forget Verizon voice mail. Get Google voice setup and integrate it with hangouts

s6 is literally destroying the m9 right now

its impressive as hell. Seriously considering getting it as long as battery is good and just putting the Now Launcher on it.

Edit: Ugh, Samsung Pay. Come on Samsung

Scalibur

OIS has me like
E9NdNrW.jpg

Volotaire

Samsung Pay? It seems Samsung are taking another step forward to try and differentiate themselves from Android/Google in an alternate future where they use the Tizen OS.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
HTC is doing some damage control on their FB page about the black bar:

HTC The space is necessary for the device's functionality as a lot of components are located there. We don't waste space on our devices.

The Edge looks nice in proper photos and videos, but the best news is the build in wireless charging. To me, that easily makes up for the lack of removable back. 32 GB as the smallest option is great, too.

But the biggest and best change? The new font for their Galaxy brand. The old one always looked so tacky and shitty.

Oddly enough, the Verge article does read like an ad for the phones.

Groof

Both wireless charging standards, Samsung Pay and the camera were all quite impressive imho. Gotta hand it to Samsung, they're going hard.

Oh wow, 2550mAh non-removable battery with Exynos. This thing is not going to last a whole day after the first few cycles.
Yeah when I heard that, I thought, "nuh-uh, this isn't going to work." That's ridiculous. Unless they want to show off how efficient their display is. Even then, I would still throw in at least a 2800 mAh battery. I don't what they were thinking.

Both wireless charging standards, Samsung Pay and the camera were all quite impressive imho. Gotta hand it to Samsung, they're going hard.
Camera looks like it's going to be great. Wireless charging is also fantastic. The battery size is the bad news, imo

I still dont understand the appeal of the curved edge notifications. It seems like such a pointless gimmick.

It really doesn't seem useful. Nokia's Glance screen still beats them all. I wish more companies would copy that and not just Motorola. At least double tap to wake is in most phones now (wish my N5 had it).

tr4656

Wireless charging is great. Camera needs more real word samples like in daylight. As for Samsung Pay, looks good except that you are back to NFC anywhere not in the US because chip and pin.

Yeah when I heard that, I thought, "nuh-uh, this isn't going to work." That's ridiculous. Unless they want to show off how efficient their display is. Even then, I would still throw in at least a 2800 man battery. I don't what they were thinking.

Camera looks like it's going to be great. Wireless charging is also fantastic. The battery size is the bad news, imo

I'm fine if the battery is the same as the S5. Probably like 20-30% better than the Moto X battery anyway.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I hate how Apple has made protruding camera lenses an acceptable thing now.

Xuilvc7.png

I think 14nm finfet will offset the smaller battery. Probably won't break any records though.

No DLNA or USB 3.0. No removable battery, no microsd, no waterproofing. Smaller battery, now more fragile thanks to a glass back, still has TouchWiz.

But hey it lost 7 grams and is shiny now!

God this is going to be a bad year on Android. :(

I hate how Apple has made protruding camera lenses an acceptable thing now.

Agreed. I guess nobody likes to use their phone on their desk/table except for me.

Furyous

So a phone that still has a mediocre camera and basically only minor improvements here and there in the M9. Or the S6 where you don't have a removable battery, waterproofing or microSD cards anymore...

Come and save us Sony. Or fuck, Motorola for that matter.

In the M9's defense it has two things the S6 variants lack: SD card slot and removable battery.

I'm with you bro, someone needs to save us. All I wanted was an M9 with a better camera, thinner bezel, and an S810. *sad face*

Samsung disappointed me with Samsung Pay and the lack of relevant features. FOH with your sub 2600 MaH battery. What are the odds that battery isn't optimized to Apple levels?

LG needs to take note and make emergency changes if need be. All they need to win my money is a GPE, 5 inch, sd card slot, bigger battery, wireless charging, and an S810.

Someone save me from iterative non improving smartphones.

Well of course Samsung would say that.

But has it ever been a bullet point before? If they specifically mention it, I don't see why it wouldn't be true.

In the M9's defense it has two things the S6 variants lack: SD card slot and removable battery.

I'm with you bro, someone needs to save us. All I wanted was an M9 with a better camera, thinner bezel, and an S810. *sad face*

Samsung disappointed me with Samsung Pay and the lack of relevant features. FOH with your sub 2600 MaH battery. What are the odds that battery isn't optimized to Apple levels?

LG needs to take note and make emergency changes if need be. All they need to win my money is a GPE, 5 inch, sd card slot, bigger battery, wireless charging, and an S810.

Um no it doesn't.

kharma45

M9 doesn't have a removable battery.

Volotaire

The M9 has not got a removable battery.

EDIT: beaten

Saiyan-Rox

No DLNA or USB 3.0. No removable battery, no microsd, no waterproofing. Smaller battery, now more fragile thanks to a glass back, still has TouchWiz.

Agreed. I guess nobody likes to use their phone on their desk/table except for me.

Early days yet and tbh I kinda like the edge. if it gets proper cyan support for those edges I may consider it see how I feel when Google release the 5.1 update if it fixes the issues i'm having with my N6 i'll stick with that.

Speaking of which you never know what Google has in store for us this year.

giga

The lack of DLNA or MHL will probably cost Samsung a whole 15 customers. The lack of USB Type C is bewildering though.

The M9 does not have a removable battery.

No one is saving you from this because there is so much one can add to a smartphone where you're expected to release every year.

The lack of DLNA or MHL will probably cost Samsung a whole 15 customers. The lack of USB Type C is bewildering though.

I'm sure the Note 5 is going to have USB Type C. The Galaxy S phone always seem like some kind of beta for the Note phones. At least it's not Micro USB 3.0.

Top Bottom