• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Guys, I want the S6 Edge, wtf is wrong with me?

The black in particular is sexy

gs6lead.jpg

I never thought I'd ever use the word sexy to describe a Samsung product.

I also have an iphone 6 but the only reason I got it was because all the android phones last year disappointed me. So if this year one comes out that I want I'll sell it for tons and tons of money and get the android phone.

Half the people in this thread have a perfectly fine flagship from last year, but are beside themselves that they can't get an amazing upgrade yet.

99% of the people in this thread live in a capitalist country that breeds consumerism. They want the latest and the best at all times, even if they don't need it. I don't know why you are surprised.

My Xperia Z (two year anniversary today <3) runs absolutely fine but I still want an upgrade.

VoxPop

we still have the oneplus 2, moto x 2015 and the new nexus device(s).

So there's still time to find something decent. That's what I'm holding out for.

I actually got to try out the OPO and was pretty impressed in terms of sheer value, design and doing so well on their first go at a mainstream phone. Im curious to see how they further refine it. I was never a huge fan of Motorola's hardware but I guess that's cause I tried a bunch of their tacky Droids. A new nexus by Sony would really get me interested though.

I also have an iphone 6 but the only reason I got it was because all the android phones last year disappointed me. So if this year one comes out that I want I'll sell it for tons and tons of money and get the android phone.

Z4 bro.

Seriously though, don't expect much from the world of Android, the market is commoditised just as badly as TVs and now everything just aims for "good enough". The Z3 Compact may end up being the pinnacle of Android phones if Sony craps out before the Z4/5 Compact.

Talon

Z4 bro.

Seriously though, don't expect much from the world of Android, the market is commoditised just as badly as TVs and now everything just aims for "good enough". The Z3 Compact may end up being the pinnacle of Android phones if Sony craps out before the Z4/5 Compact.
Even zomg has lost faith in Sony.

Z4 bro.

well my demands aren't that crazy. The ONLY thing stopping me from getting a moto x 2014 was the battery. Also last years nexus phone considering the leaks about it after the fact show us that it was a mess. Hoping this year goes better.

One Plus I just didn't like the hardware. I felt like the bezels were too big. If the phone were the size of the LG G3 or less I would have considered it.

Talon

The folks losing their shit over the lack of SD card in the OT thread is like a parody of every 5th page of this thread.

Android deprecated it, people. Plus local media storage becomes less and less important every year.

Let it go.

GSG Flash

Just wondering. Team anti-case for life!

*fist bump*

In another display of HTC's cheapness with the M9, it looks like the HTC logo on the back is now printed rather than etched on like the previous phones, meaning there's a good chance it'll rub off within the lifespan of the phone(if you use it without a case):

The folks losing their shit over the lack of SD card in the OT thread is like a parody of every 5th page of this thread.

Android deprecated it, people. Plus local media storage becomes less and less important every year.

Let it go.

For you maybe, but some of us want the option to store our media files locally without having to spend an extra $200 to do so.

well my demands aren't that crazy. The ONLY thing stopping me from getting a moto x 2014 was the battery. Also last years nexus phone considering the leaks about it after the fact show us that it was a mess. Hoping this year goes better.

One Plus I just didn't like the hardware. I felt like the bezels were too big. If the phone were the size of the LG G3 or less I would have considered it.

LG G3 Google Play would have been the perfect phone. Too bad that shit is dead.

Hasney

Sigh was looking for a successor to my iPhone 6/M7 but Samsung and HTC have disappointed me greatly.

Samsung seems to be taking a step in the right direction but them desperately clinging to Apple's coat tails and copying everything they do just isn't fun. Not to mention Touchwiz is still a steaming pile of shit. After using the Note 4, I could never use a Samsung phone.

HTC is for some reason stuck in 2009 and producing the same old shit. The lack of a better camera and zero design change is super sad. Those original m9 concepts were beautiful and if it were anywhere close to that, I would've been super satisfied.

With Sony out of the picture and the Nexus being a joke, I really don't know where to look anymore. Maybe Google will start making their own hardware and surprise us all. Or I could just jump back to the 6S I guess.

Well if the Nexus is a joke to you, it's still the best phone out or announced right now, so it's probably time to lower your expectations and just stick with your less than year old phone.

Dio

Banned

Let it go.
If only infrastructure actually supported cloud media storage the way I want it to. If I can drag all my lossless music and 8 gigabyte per episode bluray video files straight onto a phone without having to meticulously convert every single file (that is, if I even want to)...

Not only that, I drop out of signal all the time since I take a train every day and reception isn't the best even in the city.

Why would you need lossless music on a phone? I am legit wondering. Because if lossless music works on a phone, why would there ever be a reason to buy hi-res audio musc players?

GSG Flash

Sony should bring Remote Play to every platform (IOS and Android devices).

Getting remote play to work on any Android device is easy, it's the dualshock 4 pairing that's the problem. Apparently all non-Xperia Z phones are missing something in the bluetooth stack that lets them pair with the DS4 (unless you root and flash the phone).

Why would you need lossless music on a phone? I am legit wondering. Because if lossless music works on a phone, why would there ever be a reason to buy hi-res audio musc players?

For me it would be so that I don't have to convert my media files and then have to keep up with two different media libraries.

Hasney

I'm split on cases, purely because my case for the Nexus 6 has a stand which makes it awesome for playing videos at work, but the phone feels so nice in the hand without it that I don't want to have it on all the time.

Talon

If only infrastructure actually supported cloud media storage the way I want it to. If I can drag all my lossless music and 8 gigabyte per episode bluray video files straight onto a phone without having to meticulously convert every single file (that is, if I even want to)...

Not only that, I drop out of signal all the time since I take a train every day and reception isn't the best even in the city.
Use Plex. My boss has a huge library of blu-ray rips and lossless audio, and that's how he manages everything.

The thing is - the users that are constantly loading full quality rips and lossless audio files...are in the vast minority.

Because you'll really appreciate that full quality video on a 5" screen?

Carrying lossless music files locally is a wild edge case - surely you must understand that. It's also a waste unless you're carrying an amp and at the very least Ety's with you 24/7.

If you're the average working person, you're going to be in wifi for all but your commute - in which case enjoy the glory of Plex or whatever media management service you embrace.

rrvv

"I need new phone every year" is clearly one of the worse first world problem

Honestly there is little hope for android other than being stagnant. You know people like to shit apple for being "out dated" compare to Android. But IMO their business practice is superior compare to how google and other OEM handle phone. Apple introduced solid feature one by one compare to google that introduce lot of half-assed feature at same time and forgot some of them later. When they have to re introduced later. They simply lack of "WOW" factor.

Since most of Android being samey now. Commoditised is predictable and that pretty much why China is on rising. all they do is simply do what other OEM do. Mass produce it. and you get pretty much similar phone that other OEM make but at cheaper price. Apple will continue winning in profit margin since they the only company that make IOS. so they can set the price what ever they want and there is always demand for it. as opposed to android where they have to fight with each other

Husker86

Did we get a release date for the S6/Edge? I swear, if all they said was some "Q2" bullshit...

We need OEMs to copy Apple's launch strategy.

Did we get a release date for the S6/Edge? I swear, if all they said was some "Q2" bullshit...

We need OEMs to copy Apple's launch strategy.

April 10 in 20 countries worldwide. Sounds like it will be simultaneous in the US. God I hope so. You know Verizon is gonna try to fuck that shit up.

Even zomg has lost faith in Sony.

That happened a very long time ago. With the Z1 Sony had a chance to be great if they had released it with the Z1C at the same time and not used substandard part like the screen and had overly large bezels on both. There were some interesting memos floating around at the time as well from what I have seen.

Since the launch and failure of the Z1 and Sony's stupid, stupid insistence on the 6 month strategy I haven't really been too bothered by them. I still think they make the best Android devices, but in a market like this that isn't really a challenge. No hardware really stands out, they all use similar sensors, they all have crap imaging software, no one really gives a shit about phone speakers so differentiation there is wasted, they all use almost identical internal specifications, Samsung is off the Qualcomm train because of internal disputes and excess foundry capacity and they all get their screens from one of five suppliers (AUO, Samsung, LG, Sharp and Japan Display). The room for someone to make anything radically different just doesn't exist within the market as it is and the one or two companies that do have the capability (Samsung and maybe Sony) don't have anywhere near the competence of Apple to make a truly compelling device with top level software optimisation and fast updates.

Dio

Banned
Carrying lossless music files locally is a wild edge case - surely you must understand that. It's also a waste unless you're carrying an amp and at the very least Ety's with you 24/7.

I have a gigantic collection - and yes, I have an amp and good cans - and sometimes I just don't want to fucking put aside hours and hours to properly convert things into 320 for my phone. I keep around a lot of stuff for archival purposes, though, not necessarily because I HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT IN HIGHEST QUALITY.

I understand I'm a really small demographic - I still like being able to swap in 128gb SD cards if I want.

The Z3 is hi-res if I remember correctly.

Talon

That happened a very long time ago. With the Z1 Sony had a chance to be great if they had released it with the Z1C at the same time and not used substandard part like the screen and had overly large bezels on both. There were some interesting memos floating around at the time as well from what I have seen.

Since the launch and failure of the Z1 and Sony's stupid, stupid insistence on the 6 month strategy I haven't really been too bothered by them. I still think they make the best Android devices, but in a market like this that isn't really a challenge. No hardware really stands out, they all use similar sensors, they all have crap imaging software, no one really gives a shit about phone speakers so differentiation there is wasted, they all use almost identical internal specifications, Samsung is off the Qualcomm train because of internal disputes and excess foundry capacity and they all get their screens from one of five suppliers (AUO, Samsung, LG, Sharp and Japan Display). The room for someone to make anything radically different just doesn't exist within the market as it is and the one or two companies that do have the capability (Samsung and maybe Sony) don't have anywhere near the competence of Apple to make a truly compelling device with top level software optimisation and fast updates.
High end android is going the way of high end PCs. It's increasingly becoming a commodity market where the profits are sucked up by software, where none of the manufacturers have a significant stake. Except, in this case, Google was only interested in ubiquity and reach rather than margins.

Different names (Samsung, HTC, Motolenovo instead of HP, Compaq, Dell) but the same kind of victims.

It's funny how quickly markets mature nowadays. It took PC a solid 15 years to grow into what's recognizable today. With mobile, it took less than half that.

Top Bottom