• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

iavi

Looks a lot better. I'm guessing half of the graphical facelifts didn't make it to existing Samsung phones running lollipop, which makes me very very jelly.

I will be salty as hell if my Note 4 doesn't see the latest version of Touchwiz.

They've pretty much alleviated all complaints I had with the look of it. It's not entirely stock, still, but it's not worse.

Hasney

I will be salty as hell if my Note 4 doesn't see the latest version of Touchwiz.

They've pretty much alleviated all complaints I had with the look of it. It's not entirely stock, still, but it's not worse.

They tend not to to want to change the look and feel of existing phones too much. I wouldn't bet on it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Be prepared to be salty as hell, then. The phone you bought is the phone you'll have, in past Samsung experiences.

terrier

Bingo.

And GPS is fine to be left on, it doesn't drain battery when not in use since..... a while ago. And complaining about the Google search bar? This is Android. Go install another launcher.

No.

GPS isn't fine to be left on.
Reasons: drains battery and it is overkill unless using navigating software. That is the reason why a BATTERY SAVING location mode is available in settings. Plus the flashing icon all the time is annoying as fuck.

Google search bar: yes, Google launcher, fine. They can do whatever they want but that doesn't mean it is right: it could be transparent or just a search icon/mic (just like LG's launcher) so you can see the wallpaper. OR make it removable so you can place other widgets there. And considering you can launch search by voice it is like useless.
I use google launcher because i like Gnow fast access (which is not available on other launchers) and because the big screen on my note4 makes it less annoying since i have enough screen to enjoy my wallpaper.

CronoShot

HTC One M9 powered by the 64-bit Snapdragon 810, produces overheating warning on AnTuTu.-
Phone Arena via Android Headlines
ExVZS1s.jpg

Avoid the 810 phones like the plague. Seriously, manufacturers should just use the 805 instead. But I guess they want to get on the 64 bit marketing train, regardless of the end user experience.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nexus 4 did it first.

Nokia N9 did it back in 2011. Rolled glass edge to the screen, swiping from the sides. Same chassis became the Lumia 800 the following year, still before the nexus 4.

it is a great design element giving the phone a really nice feel to use - love it on my nexus 4 and lumia 930.

Symphonia

Banned
So will the M9 be running stock Android or near-stock Android? I'm looking for a new phone and I want one with vanilla Lollipop.

Hasney

So will the M9 be running stock Android or near-stock Android? I'm looking for a new phone and I want one with vanilla Lollipop.

I don't know, does this look like a standard Lollipop notification?

ExVZS1s.jpg

Sense isn't bad, you can usually get it out of your way. But if you're looking for a phone using an 810 CPU, I'd wait until there's some reviews. It's not looking promising.

kharma45

Nokia N9 did it back in 2011. Rolled glass edge to the screen, swiping from the sides. Same chassis became the Lumia 800 the following year, still before the nexus 4.

it is a great design element giving the phone a really nice feel to use - love it on my nexus 4 and lumia 930.

Aye Nokia has had it for ages on their phones.

This cant be true.

Certainly wasn't for me on Kit Kat.

Mindwipe

I don't know, does this look like a standard Lollipop notification?

ExVZS1s.jpg

Sense isn't bad, you can usually get it out of your way. But if you're looking for a phone using an 810 CPU, I'd wait until there's some reviews. It's not looking promising.

Is that not an AnTuTu notification not using the OS stock design rather than a system one?

They tend not to to want to change the look and feel of existing phones too much. I wouldn't bet on it.
Not to mention not everyone has a hard on for stock. If I lost 40% of features, depending on what those features are, I wouldn't be too happy. I mean what are you doing with a TouchWiz phone if you want a stock phone xD

Hasney

Is that not an AnTuTu notification not using the OS stock design rather than a system one?

Pretty much, I just wanted to wave a red flag about DA HEAT if anyone was considering an M9.

Moto E looking nice. So the new Moto G should feel like a 2013 phone
and Moto X 2015 like a 2014 phone

The rumours of Huawei making the next Nexus are adding up (could still be tablet and not phone though):

Another source just claimed that Huawei has been indeed chosen as the maker of the next Nexus device. This piece of info comes straight from Kevin Yang, the director of China-based iSuppli, a local research firm. According to him, there are no doubts that the maker of the Ascend Mate7and the Ascend P7 will be responsible for the hardware of Google's 2015 portfolio.

I'm happy with this as long as it's not as big as the ascend Mate 7. Other than that they release some good hardware. Make it 5 inches and throw stock on it and obviously good price since it's huawei and we are back in business.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
His Birthday isn't till Summer, but my idea is to get the boy child a phone for his birthday. Moto E is leader in the club house, but I got a few months to see what else shakes down.

Quixzlizx

One of my friends has a Verizon sgs5 (SM-G900V) that is unlocked and being used on AT&T. He wants to know what the best custom ROM is for the phone. He basically just wants no-frills and stable. I don't know anything about custom ROMs, so I'd figure I'd ask here.

Wreav

Banned
One of my friends has a Verizon sgs5 (SM-G900V) that is unlocked and being used on AT&T. He wants to know what the best custom ROM is for the phone. He basically just wants no-frills and stable. I don't know anything about custom ROMs, so I'd figure I'd ask here.

The Verizon bootloader has never been cracked AFAIK so he's shit outta luck.

this_guy

No.

GPS isn't fine to be left on.
Reasons: drains battery and it is overkill unless using navigating software. That is the reason why a BATTERY SAVING location mode is available in settings. Plus the flashing icon all the time is annoying as fuck.

That's false. The flashing icon is not on all the time - only when gps is in use (except HTC phones with sense, they have a gps icon on all the time). That means when the icon is not flashing that gps isn't on. Battery saving mode - if you take a look at your settings, uses network location (from wifi and cellular data) to determine your location and won't be as accurate as the gps sensor. High battery for location uses the device's gps sensor in addition to the network data.

Wreav

Banned
ZenFone?

It's all about that YotoPhone life this year, brehs.

Gonna be weird seeing that abomination in Best Buy soon.

thenexus6

I wish Motorola would make a killer mid range phone. Between the X and G/E

Close to stock android
4.7" 720p
SD slot
2GB Ram
Killer battery
SnapD 600 or higher

I wish Motorola would make a killer mid range phone. Between the X and G/E

Close to stock android
4.7" 720p
SD slot
2GB Ram
Killer battery
SnapD 600 or higher

The Moto Maxx has:

Close to stock
3gb ram
3900mAh battery
Snapdragon 805
No SD but 64gb

That's so close to what I want. Really hope Moto X builds on that or takes some stuff from it.

Avixph

Here are the Official Hands-On Video Series of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge.
Design
Carefully crafted from metal and glass, the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge blend purposeful design with powerful features. The Galaxy S6 and S6 edge have a 5.1" Quad HD Super AMOLED display, and you can experience even more clear and vivid details on the revolutionary dual edge display of the Galaxy S6 edge. Both models come in Black Sapphire, White Pearl and Gold Platinum. The S6 also comes in Blue Topaz and the S6 edge in a distinct Green Emerald.

Hardware
The Galaxy S6 and S6 edge have a faster performance and increased battery life.The world’s first 14nm mobile processor with 64-bit platform, new LPDDR4 memory system and UFS 2.0 flash memory provides higher performance and enhanced memory speed with lower power consumption. Fast charging which gives approximately four hours of usage with just 10 minutes of charging. And wireless charging is both WPC and PMA compatible.

Camera
The Galaxy S6 and S6 edge have a faster performance and increased battery life.The world’s first 14nm mobile processor with 64-bit platform, new LPDDR4 memory system and UFS 2.0 flash memory provides higher performance and enhanced memory speed with lower power consumption. Fast charging which gives approximately four hours of usage with just 10 minutes of charging. And wireless charging is both WPC and PMA compatible.

Source: Reddit

Looking to get a reasonably cheap off-contract phone, and T-mobile has the Xperia Z1s (refurb) at $249. Worth it?

My last Android was the Nexus 5 (which I dropped in a lake), so water-proofing is kind of a high priority for me.

reKon

Banned
it's going to be hard to go backwards in battery life to these flagships. I think it will take another generation for flagships to barely touch Xperia Z3 Compact's battery life. I wish they would just stick with 1080p (I understand that for Samsung though, they need high res for VR gear)

I can't wait for all the stories from people about how fragile the S6 Edge is. I wonder if it could be worse than Apple's bend gate.

Avixph

Here is a list of the 22 apps that will be part of the Galaxy Gifts program on the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge:
  • Audible
  • Dragons of Atlantis: Heirs
  • The Economist
  • Endomondo
  • Evernote
  • Fleksy
  • Hancom Office
  • The Hobbit: Kingdoms
  • Keepy
  • Kindle for Samsung
  • LastPass
  • Life360
  • Magisto
  • NYTimes
  • Pac-Man Friends
  • Parallels Access
  • PayPal
  • Pocket
  • Shazam
  • Uber
  • VSCO
  • Workout Trainer
Source: Sammobile Via: Sammy Hub

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

SMH HTC

Although I doubt you would ever see that warning during regular use, the fact that it's confirming everyone's fears about the S810 and the fact that gaming will increase the chances of the phone overheating is a huge misstep for Qualcomm. For HTC, this just adds to the one of many other fuck ups for them regarding the M9.

I tried the iPhones at the Apple store today and I will never an iOS fanboy's lag comments seriously ever again ✋✋

I just got an iPhone for work, and yeah, the phone definitely lags a bit while scrolling through songs. I see the appeal design wise, but software wise iOS is a huge step down from Android.

Touch ID is awesome though and I do prefer listening to music on the iPhone over Android.

Here is a list of the 22 apps that will be part of the Galaxy Gifts program on the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge:

LIST

Source: Sammobile Via: Sammy Hub

Are they giving a subcription to this stuff? I'll try to convince my mom to get it for the Audible subscription lol.

Look at all those freely downloadable apps!

Apparently it's not bloat. They can be downloaded at the Galaxy App Store (which is bloat) and you get some sort of freebie with it.

longdi

Banned
S810 looks very disappointing, barely faster than S801...

Unlikely what was said earlier, S810 does have heat issues and Samsung use of Exynos is not due to overcapacity of their fabs, looks truer now.

I hope Sony is smart enough to use the rumored S808. What a sucky time for them to be in. :(

Top Bottom