• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Avixph

S810 looks very disappointing, barely faster than S801...

Unlikely what was said earlier, S810 does have heat issues and Samsung use of Exynos is not due to overcapacity of their fabs, looks truer now.

I hope Sony is smart enough to use the rumored S808. What a sucky time for them to be in. :(

Can't Sony use an Exynos processor?

S810 looks very disappointing, barely faster than S801...

Unlikely what was said earlier, S810 does have heat issues and Samsung use of Exynos is not due to overcapacity of their fabs, looks truer now.

I hope Sony is smart enough to use the rumored S808. What a sucky time for them to be in. :(

after the 810 flop im perfectly content with an 801 phone honestly.

You might need a geiger counter to rock a G4 if they go QHD again and use that chip

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Looking to get a reasonably cheap off-contract phone, and T-mobile has the Xperia Z1s (refurb) at $249. Worth it?

My last Android was the Nexus 5 (which I dropped in a lake), so water-proofing is kind of a high priority for me.

GO HERE

Ebay Daily Deals

Browse the phone selection. All of them are unlocked. Some are refurbed. Others are just new stock places need to clear.

longdi

Banned
Can't Sony use an Exynos processor?

I hope they do too!

But it is probably too late to change processor and will Samsung sell for cheaps to their direct rivals? They sold lower grade AMOLED to moto

Samsung is coming back to their GS S2 glory days where Exynos kicked asses...damn all other Androids will flop hard this year. Sony mobile is dead :(

If only they had CELL or some shit still alive.

NotBacon

No.

GPS isn't fine to be left on.
Reasons: drains battery and it is overkill unless using navigating software. That is the reason why a BATTERY SAVING location mode is available in settings. Plus the flashing icon all the time is annoying as fuck.

This cant be true.

It is. GPS doesn't drain battery unless it's in use. And it's only in use when an app specifically requests it, such as navigation. It's perfectly safe to leave it on permanently.

Battery saving mode is just another way to determine your position that doesn't use your GPS module. It uses wifi and/or cell towers.

It is. GPS doesn't drain battery unless it's in use. And it's only in use when an app specifically requests it, such as navigation. It's perfectly safe to leave it on permanently.

Battery saving mode is just another way to determine your position that doesn't use your GPS module. It uses wifi and/or cell towers.
But google now, google play services use location data all the time, and services can be pretty aggressive and demanding.

I definitely notice at least an increase of 20-30% of additional drain with GPS.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If you can't leave Bluetooth, GPS,WiFi, data, location services on all the time and still get 4+ hours sot over the course of 16 hours your phone is failing you.

NotBacon

But google now, google play services use location data all the time, and services can be pretty aggressive and demanding.

I definitely notice at least an increase of 20-30% of additional drain with GPS.

What I said is still true. This just means there is something up with your phone or Play Services.

If you can't leave Bluetooth, GPS,WiFi, data, location services on all the time and still get 4+ hours sot over the course of 16 hours your phone is failing you.

Pretty much.

Dobsie

Just picked up a g2 cheap, was tired of the crappy battery on my nexus 4. Battery on this seems a massive improvement and I love how small the bezels are.
Still getting used to the weird placement of volume/power buttons on the back, and god the lg ui is horrible. Had to stick CM on it straight away.

What I said is still true. This just means there is something up with your phone or Play Services.

Pretty much.
With all my phones and tablets since forever? There is a reason there is another mode called battery saving that doesn't require gps.

I get 4+ over 36 hours so my point still stands.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Just picked up a g2 cheap, was tired of the crappy battery on my nexus 4. Battery on this seems a massive improvement and I love how small the bezels are.
Still getting used to the weird placement of volume/power buttons on the back, and god the lg ui is horrible. Had to stick CM on it straight away.

It's not THAT bad of a UI. Nova Launcher + G2 Xposed helps a lot.

tzare

This. It is due to apps requesting location. Maybe in a year or two when all use that project volta thing... but not right now. And GPS notification icon flashing often means it is on. Access to GPS should be handled like new priority mode for sound/silent mode. Some apps can some do not. That way you could have it activated al the time without worries.
And we all know how do Google services behave many times affecting battery life. Wakelocks have been an issue too often unfortunately.

Btw it looks that the real performance boost for galaxy s6 is not because of exynos soc, but memory used:both ram and flash are extremely fast compared to previous generations.

gcubed

No.

GPS isn't fine to be left on.
Reasons: drains battery and it is overkill unless using navigating software. That is the reason why a BATTERY SAVING location mode is available in settings. Plus the flashing icon all the time is annoying as fuck.

Google search bar: yes, Google launcher, fine. They can do whatever they want but that doesn't mean it is right: it could be transparent or just a search icon/mic (just like LG's launcher) so you can see the wallpaper. OR make it removable so you can place other widgets there. And considering you can launch search by voice it is like useless.
I use google launcher because i like Gnow fast access (which is not available on other launchers) and because the big screen on my note4 makes it less annoying since i have enough screen to enjoy my wallpaper.

if you see your GPS flashing icon on all the time then there is something fucked in your phone.

I won a tablet last week at raffle and I'm currently getting acquainted with Android. I'm interested in installing a custom launcher, which would you reccomend between Nova and Apex?

Husker86

I won a tablet last week at raffle and I'm currently getting acquainted with Android. I'm interested in installing a custom launcher, which would you reccomend between Nova and Apex?

They are both pretty similar from my experience. I personally just use Google Now Launcher, though.

What tablet did you win?

How reliable is BGR with their sources and scoops? Because they're reporting that the Huawei Watch could cost $1,000.

"With Apple’s Watch pricing set to be announced at Monday’s upcoming Spring Forward event, one of our sources has informed us of another smartwatch’s price — that of the Huawei Watch. An Android Wear watch with gold and silver case, it certainly is one of the most premium and normal-looking smartwatches introduced on the Android side of things. However, the price is outrageous. We have heard that the Huawei Watch price is $1,000. Yes — one thousand dollars for an Android Wear device. All the credit to Huawei for thinking they could pull this off. They won’t be able to, but I’m pretty sure we won’t ever find out how many the company has sold anyway."

some bullshit reason Google gave about GPU features

That makes sense.

The bullshit part, not their reasoning.

Groof

Speaking of the Google Now Launcher, why isn't the notification bar and the software buttons transparent on the N4 and GN?

They are. You're probably thinking of the old Trebuchet launcher that was standard before GNL came about. It still comes installed by default on the old devices and it doesn't support the transparent status & navigation bars.

kmfdmpig

The rumours of Huawei making the next Nexus are adding up (could still be tablet and not phone though):

I'm happy with this as long as it's not as big as the ascend Mate 7. Other than that they release some good hardware. Make it 5 inches and throw stock on it and obviously good price since it's huawei and we are back in business.

It would be nice if a Nexus tablet could come out that had an SD slot. I don't see any valid reason for a content consumption device to not have one, although I certainly understand why the companies don't want to include them so they can charge insane amounts for extra storage.

gcubed

How reliable is BGR with their sources and scoops? Because they're reporting that the Huawei Watch could cost $1,000.

"With Apple’s Watch pricing set to be announced at Monday’s upcoming Spring Forward event, one of our sources has informed us of another smartwatch’s price — that of the Huawei Watch. An Android Wear watch with gold and silver case, it certainly is one of the most premium and normal-looking smartwatches introduced on the Android side of things. However, the price is outrageous. We have heard that the Huawei Watch price is $1,000. Yes — one thousand dollars for an Android Wear device. All the credit to Huawei for thinking they could pull this off. They won’t be able to, but I’m pretty sure we won’t ever find out how many the company has sold anyway."

That makes sense.

The bullshit part, not their reasoning.

maybe they got confused with yuan? I give this a 0.001% chance.

Why would you leave these features on if you're not using them though? Why settle for 4 hours when you can settle for 7.

I turn off WiFi if I'm not going to connect, otherwise it will search constantly. I turn GPS off since I rarely have use for that. I turn data/service off when I go into the subway or during class because I won't have or be needing my phone then. Obvious advice :p

NotBacon

Why would you leave these features on if you're not using them though? Why settle for 4 hours when you can settle for 7.

Wifi: Idle can drain your battery. So it might be a good idea to turn it off if you're not on wifi and your phone is strapped for battery life.

Data: Idle can definitely drain battery if you have poor reception. If you have good reception, it won't matter much if it's on or off.

Bluetooth: Idle will have close to 0 battery drain if you're on BT 4.0+. That's when they merged BT Smart into the main BT spec.

GPS: As stated earlier, having it idle won't drain battery.

With all my phones and tablets since forever?

Yep. Probably an app that you regularly use that was poorly made.
A big one that many people still tolerate for some reason is Facebook. You can turn off location services in it, but it still drains battery like a mofo.

Quasar

Nvidia Tegra X1 motherfuckers

I'm going to admit I'm interested. Though Nvidia has never sold a shield device in Australia so I doubt they'll sell this, so among other things I have to hear about the power situation before I import one.

I also want to see/hear about whether it can actually passthrough HD audio with plex.

Hopefully the forgetv comes out first so we can se a comparison between it, the shield, and the nexus device.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I turn off WiFi if I'm not going to connect, otherwise it will search constantly. I turn GPS off since I rarely have use for that. I turn data/service off when I go into the subway or during class because I won't have or be needing my phone then. Obvious advice :p

I find turning these things on and off an annoying hassle.

I get home at night with 50-60%. I have no need of increasing battery life (currently get 5hrs sot with everything on).

When I get in my car, BeyondPod automatically plays the current podcast when bluetooth connects, never have to take it out of my pocket. Wifi auto connects when necessary. I mostly just find micromanaging that stuff awful so I don't and I doubt it would even gain me much battery life, and it definitely is not currently necessary to do so.

It would be nice if a Nexus tablet could come out that had an SD slot. I don't see any valid reason for a content consumption device to not have one, although I certainly understand why the companies don't want to include them so they can charge insane amounts for extra storage.

Holy fuck, am I having deja vu from 2011?

At 10W TDP?! Of course it does. The A8X uses less than half that.

I'm not sure how only less than half that is winning when the Tegra X1 is octa-cores and the A8X is dual core. The Maxwell GPU uses less power than the PowerVR 6850 in the A8X while offering almost twice the performance. The A8X is manufactured on a smaller process node too.

giga

I'm not sure how only less than half that is winning when the Tegra X1 is octa-cores and the A8X is dual core. The Maxwell GPU uses less power than the PowerVR 6850 in the A8X while offering almost twice the performance.
The Cyclone is tri core. The PowerVR GPU has 8 cores. It doesn't matter either way, because core counts are not the only determinant of power usage. Especially so when counting only GPU power usage, and not the entire SoC. That's what matters if we're comparing chips meant for tablets. So at this point, I'd say it's premature to compare a chip inside a console to one inside a tablet. And I thought both the A8X and X1 are on a 20nm process?

Is anybody else a little worried that LG said their skin update for android will be so big that it will be revealed before they announce the G4.

I doubt it will be scaled back, it's probably gonna have a pile of more stuff on top of it. But you never know. It's interesting though. They'd be the first Android manufacturer to do that I think. It'll either be good or worth a laugh. Lets seeeee.

HawkeyeIC

Rumor time.

Here's a rumor from one of our solid sources. The Lollipop MR1 (Android 5.1) will start rolling out to Nexus devices starting with the N7 (probably 2013) this week, barring anything unexpected.

This release is supposed to make Android buttery smooth again, which is something you may have already spotted from videos of Android One devices running it. You're going to want to install it.

Google's been having some issues with battery life, which explains the delay, and unless they're already resolved, could possibly delay the rollout. But later this week is the info I have right now.

From Artem of AP on google+

Did they fix the volume slider in 5.1? If I hold down my volume key on the phone it should let me put it on silent but google removed it from lollipop.

Top Bottom