• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Toki767

Is anybody else a little worried that LG said their skin update for android will be so big that it will be revealed before they announce the G4.

I doubt it will be scaled back, it's probably gonna have a pile of more stuff on top of it. But you never know. It's interesting though. They'd be the first Android manufacturer to do that I think. It'll either be good or worth a laugh. Lets seeeee.

Kind of thinking they'll be doing stuff like integrating a fingerprint scanner, more health/fitness tracking, their own version of Apple Pay/Google Wallet, new camera features, and a bunch of other things.

When they show off the G4 I kind of expect that it'll be as part of some conference and not get it's own thing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
No surprise an OS update arrives to crash the Apple party.

markot

Banned
Google couldn't crash an apple party with an immortality potion.

Hell, a war could start and it would be relegated to 'also today...'

terrier

if you see your GPS flashing icon on all the time then there is something fucked in your phone.

not all the time, but often enough to become annoying. That on my wife's s4, btw.
Probably facebook/twitter or something like that asks for location. It really doesn't matter, the fact is that how they handle location now. It should be easier, just make a fucking toggle with 3 steps: location on, data only, off.
They give you 'more' options with priority notifications (despite also being confusing as hell) and at the same time they give you les for location. No sense at all.

Wifi: Idle can drain your battery. So it might be a good idea to turn it off if you're not on wifi and your phone is strapped for battery life.

Data: Idle can definitely drain battery if you have poor reception. If you have good reception, it won't matter much if it's on or off.

Bluetooth: Idle will have close to 0 battery drain if you're on BT 4.0+. That's when they merged BT Smart into the main BT spec.

GPS: As stated earlier, having it idle won't drain battery.

Some OEMS like sony use location to disable wifi so it doesn't drain battery. So yeah, it affects battery life.

In a perfect world you could go with everything turned on, but real life is different, unfortunately.

NotBacon

In a perfect world you could go with everything turned on, but real life is different, unfortunately.

If you have good reception and are using WiFi, you can. As long as your phone hasn't gone rogue.

My last phone went rogue occasionally, and it was obvious.

My new phone? Literally leave everything on and still get stellar battery life. Toggling things manually doesn't make a noticeable difference. Granted, I have good reception usually and use WiFi a lot.

My N5 gets me through an entire day without problems, if I don't use it or when I charge it in the afternoon. It's really not that bad.

Boy do I feel stupid. When you guys were talking about Google Messenger I thought you meant hangouts I had no idea Google has a regular SMS/MMS app. Needless to say I've since downloaded it and it looks fantastic compared to the standard messaging app my phone had on it.

I also realized the stock Calendar app wasn't Google's which I thought it was. Downloaded that as well and the Widget is a lot nicer to look at.

terrier

If you have good reception and are using WiFi, you can. As long as your phone hasn't gone rogue.

My last phone went rogue occasionally, and it was obvious.

My new phone? Literally leave everything on and still get stellar battery life. Toggling things manually doesn't make a noticeable difference. Granted, I have good reception usually and use WiFi a lot.

i do not turn off wifi , even when i had my nexus 5 known for not outstanding battery life. I agree it depends a lot on what kind of user and what connections do you use. So you are using a nexus 6, i use a note 4 and probably won't have issues unless you use the phone a lot ( for example taking pictures) But i have noticed huge battery drain when under bad reception, not a big deal on my note but i can see it as a problem on other devices (my wife can be 12+ hours under bad reception sometimes) so every bit of help is welcome when phone is idle.

Hopefully reception will improve over time (at least in europe with the 800hz band being used for 4g in the upcoming months) and one problem less that may help quite a bit for some.
And facebook is crap, but my wife cannot live without it it seems :p (maybe the app they released for low end devices doesn't suck as standard one, will tell her to try that)

My N5 gets me through an entire day without problems, if I don't use it or when I charge it in the afternoon. It's really not that bad.
That is the problem, if i didn't use it, my nexus 5, (at work i use internet and hangouts on my work pc) i usually could get a full day, but once you started to use it , it didn't last long. I wish google made a revision of it, just use 801, keep 1080p, bigger battery and keep price. Oh and a bit of optimization could also be welcome too

Soodanim

I wish Motorola would make a killer mid range phone. Between the X and G/E

Close to stock android
4.7" 720p
SD slot
2GB Ram
Killer battery
SnapD 600 or higher
I don't want to alarm you, but I think we may see the same person.

I've been thinking about looking for a replacement for my N4, and I don't see much point in going bigger. I already have my Nexus 7 for home and out and 4.7" is perfect for not making my hands stretch but still having a usable keyboard size.

How many phones get a dual-SIM variant these days? I've been thinking about going that route for when GiffGaff fucks up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't want to alarm you, but I think we may see the same person.

I've been thinking about looking for a replacement for my N4, and I don't see much point in going bigger. I already have my Nexus 7 for home and out and 4.7" is perfect for not making my hands stretch but still having a usable keyboard size.

How many phones get a dual-SIM variant these days? I've been thinking about going that route for when GiffGaff fucks up.

Xperia M4?

Or Xperia M2 which is a little lower specced (960x540 screen), but 4.7" screen and I think that has a dual SIM version too.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Boy do I feel stupid. When you guys were talking about Google Messenger I thought you meant hangouts I had no idea Google has a regular SMS/MMS app. Needless to say I've since downloaded it and it looks fantastic compared to the standard messaging app my phone had on it.

I also realized the stock Calendar app wasn't Google's which I thought it was. Downloaded that as well and the Widget is a lot nicer to look at.

You shouldn't feel stupid, blame Google's fucked up software strategy for causing the confusion.

Messenger is what Hangouts should be, no idea why Google has 3 messaging apps out there(Messenger, Hangouts and the AOSP messages app).

Rengoku

Holy shit.

AndroBench comparison - the Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge's memory speeds obliterate other flagships

G8dOWut.png

http://www.phonearena.com/news/AndroBench-comparison---the-Samsung-Galaxy-S6---S6-Edges-memory-speeds-obliterate-other-flagships_id66813

Hasney

Holy shit.

AndroBench comparison - the Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge's memory speeds obliterate other flagships

G8dOWut.png

http://www.phonearena.com/news/AndroBench-comparison---the-Samsung-Galaxy-S6---S6-Edges-memory-speeds-obliterate-other-flagships_id66813

Well yeah. LPDDR4 is in it so it shouldn't surprise anyone. Hopefully the M9 benchmarks can stay cool long enough to put these numbers into context (should be slightly slower as the memory is clocked 25Mhz slower than the GS6).

giga

Well yeah. LPDDR4 is in it so it shouldn't surprise anyone. Hopefully the M9 benchmarks can stay cool long enough to put these numbers into context (should be slightly slower as the memory is clocked 25Mhz slower than the GS6).
This is measuring nand performance.

Hasney

This is measuring nand performance.

Oh. Well in that case, allow me add my own personal HOLY SHIT.

EDIT: Unrelated, but does Hearthstone now work on phones? Google play is oddly saying it's compatible with my old S4 but not my N6.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh. Well in that case, allow me add my own personal HOLY SHIT.

EDIT: Unrelated, but does Hearthstone now work on phones? Google play is oddly saying it's compatible with my old S4 but not my N6.

Well stealth announcement?

They are suppose to drop all of their info tomorrow at PAX East!!!

Hasney

Well stealth announcement?

They are suppose to drop all of their info tomorrow at PAX East!!!

Well I'll find out soon enough as I've just got the .APK of the latest version to see if it works or bugs me about the screen. Danm thing will only grab the big file over WiFi though,

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well I'll find out soon enough as I've just got the .APK of the latest version to see if it works or bugs me about the screen. Danm thing will only grab the big file over WiFi though,

Can you post a screenshot from the Play Store on your S4?

ukas

S6 is a beast phone. I'm seriously tempted to sell my OPO and get one.

I swore off Samsung after my S3, but I'm seriously considering the S6 Edge. Thankfully, they are introducing user made themes so I can kill those go awful icons that have been around forever. If the bloat is really gone from Touchwiz I may just be in. Ugh...

I swore off Samsung after my S3, but I'm seriously considering the S6 Edge. Thankfully, they are introducing user made themes so I can kill those go awful icons that have been around forever. If the bloat is really gone from Touchwiz I may just be in. Ugh...

I think they said they reduced bloat by 40%. 60% more to go.

I'm thinking about the regular edition. Edge version would be pointless in a case, plus I was watching Erica Griffin impressions and she said it's less comfortable to hold.

Hasney

Yo Vanillalite, Hearthstone is working fine on my N6 with no resolution schenanigans and an unmodified .apk. Looks like it's ready to go after the PAX thing.

Hasney

Incompatible with Note 4.

Yeah, on the Play Store. I downloaded a .apk and what used to happen is it would say your screen is too small, but you could get around it by playing with the resolution and DPI setting. Now it just works though.

Wreav

Banned
Yeah, on the Play Store. I downloaded a .apk and what used to happen is it would say your screen is too small, but you could get around it by playing with the resolution and DPI setting. Now it just works though.

Got a link handy?

ukas

I'm thinking about the regular edition. Edge version would be pointless in a case, plus I was watching Erica Griffin impressions and she said it's less comfortable to hold.

Some of the cases I've seen from Spigen don't look half bad and could give some decent protection. It doesn't really matter much to me because I don't use cases. I always buy one, but end up taking it off in the end.

From what I've seen the Edge is actually a little bit skinnier width wise compared to the S6 which I actually like.

Top Bottom