• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Wreav

Banned
Nice, thanks.

e: ahhhh top of page, have a dancing android

android.gif

I complained about the huge cache on my device a while ago and after deleting it 3 or 4 weeks ago, I grew to 6 GB again, taking up all the free space on my phone. I really wonder what's causing this.

i could make an authentic $30 Italian meal in the time this takes to optimize for ART

Yeah, that was the worst part during the upgrade from 4.4 to 5.0. But it was worth it.

Wreav

Banned

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

j-wood

I don't understand how people don't realize priority mode is silent mode. By default, no apps are given permission to still alert during priority. All you do is go to settings and uncheck "events and reminders" going off in priority and bam. Silent mode.

Hasney

I don't understand how people don't realize priority mode is silent mode. By default, no apps are given permission to still alert during priority. All you do is go to settings and uncheck "events and reminders" going off in priority and bam. Silent mode.

People are complaining because it stops their LEDs working too.

people are complaining because they're late for work and appointments and their behavior did not change, the behavior of their device did.

oh, iirc some people loved this and others complained about it...

Hasney

people are complaining because they're late for work and appointments and their behavior did not change, the behavior of their device did.

Still though, that should only be once unless they're lacking the mental capability to adapt after fucking up. All it takes is a quick Google.

They really should have included a tutorial splash though.

NotBacon

Things gotta change bud.

I don't agree on the silent mode change, I can see why the layman is confused and can't find it's new place, but sometimes software has to change to progress.

Still though, that should only be once unless they're lacking the mental capability to adapt after fucking up. All it takes is a quick Google.

They really should have included a tutorial splash though.

"adapt after fucking up" implies that THEY are the ones who did something wrong. victim blaming at its finest!

CengizMan

So I have a Sony Xperia Z2 and I am absolutely shocked to find out that Google disabled the possibility to install apps directly to my SD card. Any idea if this has been fixed in Lollipop? Might want to root if there is no easy fix.

Why is something so vital buried in the settings? I will be avoiding this until 5.1 where they will hopefully iron out most these bugs. It's not a "whiner" thing, some of us aren't the ones who're blasting their notification ring tone at max volume in public transit or middle of class.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Things gotta change bud.

I don't agree on the silent mode change, I can see why the layman is confused and can't find it's new place, but sometimes software has to change to progress.

It's a poor change because I can't have my LED light up anymore. Also, I hate how the N6 LED is locked out and also a downgrade. I can use Light Flow but the LED is weak as it doesn't blink.

I held a Nexus 4 again. Man, that phone is tiny, tiny, tiny. Based N6.

NotBacon

It's a poor change because I can't have my LED light up anymore. Also, I hate how the N6 LED is locked out and also a downgrade. I can use Light Flow but the LED is weak as it doesn't blink.

I held a Nexus 4 again. Man, that phone is tiny, tiny, tiny. Based N6.

Yeah really weird that it's still there and hidden like that. Oh well, I've grown more accustomed to active displays anyways since the Moto X days.

Edit: edits!

I really prefer something like glance, but the notification led on the N5 is well designed, IMO. I like the way it lights up. It's not annoying and rather "calm".

Wreav

Banned
I can't get over the $150 premium for a more breakable device with no extra features. No, the flashing alerts while having your poor phone face down on a surface is not a feature.

I can't get over the $150 premium for a more breakable device with no extra features. No, the flashing alerts while having your poor phone face down on a surface is not a feature.

It's a premium for for esthetics, for people who don't mind paying extra for a more unique, more pretty phone. And it's a premium because it costs more to bend the screen.

$150 premium for premium looks.

i can't get over paying for a device with a sealed battery and fixed storage when even low end shit devices have features like a removable battery and microsd slot.

Wreav

Banned
Any clue if the Verizon Note 4 can work on T-Mo bands? Thought I heard all the VZW LTE phones are "unlocked" by default.

manfestival

I really want to get the m9... especially after I murdered my m7. I am dying for another strong phone. The moto x was on the table of consideration but I would probably just end up waiting for the 2015 model considering the jump that the moto g must be getting considering the new moto E is just about as powerful as the 2014 moto g

I loved my m7 and it still is easily my favorite phone ever. Also would like waterproof being thrown in

i liken samsung to florida.

Sure one thing out of a hundred may be better... but your still living in florida.

Not sure how I feel about that

Guys, how can I give Google Now a brain? There's this Google Now card "stories to read" and all it does is giving me articles from The Verge. It's good for a laugh every now and then (like Vlad Savov writing about the new Ferrari 488), but "Popular with readers of The Verge" (because I googled them once?) surely should include more sites than just The Verge 99% of the time?

Cortana did this so much better. It lets you specify exactly the things you're interested in (for news: health, politics, news near me, business, entertainment, tech, sports and maybe more) and then gives you headline news from multiple sites, in addition to the creepy stalker stuff.

gcubed

Guys, how can I give Google Now a brain? There's this Google Now card "stories to read" and all it does is giving me articles from The Verge. It's good for a laugh every now and then (like Vlad Savov writing about the new Ferrari 488), but "Popular with readers of The Verge" (because I googled them once?) surely should include more sites than just The Verge 99% of the time?

Cortana did this so much better. It lets you specify exactly the things you're interested in (for news: health, politics, news near me, business, entertainment, tech, sports and maybe more) and then gives you headline news from multiple sites, in addition to the creepy stalker stuff.

if you find out, let me know, you can do it through google news, but unfortunately, and stupidly, that section doesn't pull from google news

Groof

What's wrong with Google Calendar? No "S" in the name?

Quite a bit. It's gotten much better with the latest updates though.
What really irks me though is that you can barely see any of the stellar illustrations they made for it. I hate using agenda view, and that's the only place you can see them on phones.

NotBacon

Quite a bit. It's gotten much better with the latest updates though.
What really irks me though is that you can barely see any of the stellar illustrations they made for it. I hate using agenda view, and that's the only place you can see them on phones.

Yeah that's what i'm saying, the last update brought it back to GOAT status.

Yeah the drawings are cool, but I pretty much stick to week view anyways.

No decent month view.

If you want to see multiple events for each day over a 30 day view, then go get Today Calendar or something. No one needs that level of micro and macro simultaneously. Just go to week view and get a much better micro view while only a swipe away from the coming weeks. Google made the right decision this time.

Crisco

Banned
Wow, Limelight works amazingly well on my G3. It's actually possible to play a turn based game like Divinity on my smartphone, without any other input other than touch screen. Civilization: BE too.

markot

Banned
Yeah that's what i'm saying, the last update brought it back to GOAT status.

Yeah the drawings are cool, but I pretty much stick to week view anyways.

If you want to see multiple events for each day over a 30 day view, then go get Today Calendar or something. No one needs that level of micro and macro simultaneously. Just go to week view and get a much better micro view while only a swipe away from the coming weeks. Google made the right decision this time.
Yeah. And they were right to fuck up mute too.

Google is great. If they change something, it must be for the better. Unlike Samsung, who can only change for the worse. Its like fuck off Samsung.

Top Bottom