• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Dead

well not really...yet
So the iOS MOBA Vain Glory is coming to Android

Was going to submit an application for the Beta for my Shield Tablet and Nexus 6 but fucked up and submit it before completely filling it out. Fucks.

Google's MVNO will only work with Nexus 6 (for now) lol:

The service, designed to switch among Wi-Fi and cellular networks, will initially be available only on the latest Nexus 6 smartphone designed by Google and made by Motorola Mobility, a former Google unit now owned by China’s Lenovo Group Ltd. , two people familiar with the matter said. One of the people said the service won’t work with older Nexus devices, such as LG Electronics Inc. ’s Nexus 5.
-WSJ

Wreav

Banned
No great shock there honestly. Was thinking it would require an N7 the way they describe the multicarrier functionality.

Pretty radical stuff, radio wise.

If they are trying to force people to use Nexus 6 phones they are going to have to subsidize the service like crazy. No more than $25 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data.

SimleuqiR

-WSJ

Does the Nexus 5 even have all the proper bands to jump between ATT, T-mobile, and Sprint? I'm assuming those are the networks Google will piggy-back on. Heck, maybe even Verizon's network?

So, again. It me sound "LOL" to some of you but there might be a hardware reason as to why only the Nexus 6 (and future Nexi) will be the only phone available for the service.

I'm just laughing because the whole thing just makes me giggle. Google doing it to begin with makes me giggle, nexus 6 only makes me giggle. I feel like this will be one of those things that gets half assed then canned a while later.

Like a lot of google initiatives. Maybe not tho.

Wreav

Banned
Does the Nexus 5 even have all the proper bands to jump between ATT, T-mobile, and Sprint? I'm assuming those are the networks Google will piggy-back on. Heck, maybe even Verizon's network?

N5 works on pretty much everything but Verizon. N6 works on everything, which is why I'm thinking it's a radio issue. If Googy wants to ink an MVNO deal with VZW later, they're free to.

I think this seamless integration between carriers (especially CDMA and GSM carriers) is one of the most interesting things to happen to mobile in the last 5 years. Trying to not blow it off, even though it'll probably fail.

NotBacon

Yeah. And they were right to fuck up mute too.

Google is great. If they change something, it must be for the better. Unlike Samsung, who can only change for the worse. Its like fuck off Samsung.

Junior member thinking he knows what I'm about?

GTFO of here and go find an actual fanboy to troll

-WSJ

Either pretty smart (more exposure to their nexus line) or really stupid, for obvious reasons. Probably stupid.

I'm just laughing because the whole thing just makes me giggle. Google doing it to begin with makes me giggle, nexus 6 only makes me giggle. I feel like this will be one of those things that gets half assed then canned a while later.

I think it's just a way for them to dip their toe in the mobile market without diving in head first. They will gauge reception and if it ends up being successful maybe launch a full fledged network. Their damn fiber internet needs a faster rollout though.

Quasar

I wonder why. I mean is there any technical reasons?

SimleuqiR

N5 works on pretty much everything but Verizon. N6 works on everything, which is why I'm thinking it's a radio issue. If Googy wants to ink an MVNO deal with VZW later, they're free to.

I think this seamless integration between carriers (especially CDMA and GSM carriers) is one of the most interesting things to happen to mobile in the last 5 years. Trying to not blow it off, even though it'll probably fail.

This is what I'm thinking. They get to piggy-back on ALL 4 carriers and the Nexus 6 switches between networks seamlessly (one would hope). That would be the main reason to switch to this service. Otherwise it will be nothing special.

This is what I'm thinking. They get to piggy-back on ALL 4 carriers and the Nexus 6 switches between networks seamlessly (one would hope). That would be the main reason to switch to this service. Otherwise it will be nothing special.

I thought it was only using T-Mobile and Sprint.

Husker86

Went to the AT&T store and my girlfriend decided that she would like the size of Nexus 6, so picking that up tomorrow. Not sure how I'll cope with her having a better phone than me, but we'll see.

While at the store I was looking at the Moto X screen...it's kinda pretty amazing. I don't care if those colors are oversaturated, that stock wallpaper it has on that AMOLED was really beautiful.

Went to the AT&T store and my girlfriend decided that she would like the size of Nexus 6, so picking that up tomorrow. Not sure how I'll cope with her having a better phone than me, but we'll see.

While at the store I was looking at the Moto X screen...it's kinda pretty amazing. I don't care if those colors are oversaturated, that stock wallpaper it has on that AMOLED was really beautiful.
Each time my friend holds my phone he always praises the screen. I've gotten used to it so I'm not as impressed anymore. The Note 4 display always gets to me though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Edge is the only one to get.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Yeah hope so if I plan on moving from the Galaxy S3 to the Galaxy S6.
That's going to be one huge upgrade. I went from the S3 to the Note 4 and man, god damn. lol so much better.

And that's not a diss at the S3 either. It treated me really nice for the two years I had it. Didn't have any issues with it. Loved it, in fact.

Do any of you know a good app for transferring all the contents, the settings, etc. from one phone to the other?
I used to use My Backup Pro a long time ago. Also if you're trying to transfer app data, try Helium. There's also Titanium Backup, but I've never used that.

Avixph

That's going to be one huge upgrade. I went from the S3 to the Note 4 and man, god damn. lol so much better.

And that's not a diss at the S3 either. It treated me really nice for the two years I had it. Didn't have any issues with it. Loved it, in fact.
I was going to upgrade when the Galaxy S5 came out but decide not to because I didn't have the funds to buy one.

Wait, doesn't Samsung offer a built in transfer thing? Might be through Kies or something.
I'm not sure.

I used to use My Backup Pro a long time ago. Also if you're trying to transfer app data, try Helium. There's also Titanium Backup, but I've never used that.
Thanks I'll check those out.

A question about stock Android and the S6 Edge ... i assume that, if i want to use the functions of the edge-screens, i have to keep the Touchwiz-fork of android on the phone, sounds about right?

The S6 looks mighty tempting, with the performance shown in the last days ... but that Touchwiz and Samsungs update frequency ....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
am I the only one that gets confused when switching between all/priority/none? Is that all notifications come through, or all notifications get blocked?

Hasney

am I the only one that gets confused when switching between all/priority/none? Is that all notifications come through, or all notifications get blocked?

All is everything, silent is nothing and priority is alarms and whatever else you select to allow in settings.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All is everything, silent is nothing and priority is alarms and whatever else you select to allow in settings.

ok. Can it be set to automatically go into priority or silent mode when I have a calendar event? Love that on Windows Phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Leaked Sony Xperia Z4 chassis suggests an even thinner device without waterproofing and microSD slot

Leaked-Sony-Xperia-Z4-chassis-and-LCD-touch-digitizer.jpg

Android 2015 - catch it!

I really don't mind the lack of waterproofing until a better solution than flaps comes out. And if there's no sd slot I hope it means we're finally seeing everyone align on higher storage on the base models.

I really don't mind the lack of waterproofing until a better solution than flaps comes out. And if there's no sd slot I hope it means we're finally seeing everyone align on higher storage on the base models.

The Z4 is still waterproof, it just has an uncovered waterproof USB port like the M4 Aqua.

Bit-Bit

I recently flash Lollipop onto my OnePlus One. It is incredibly fast and the battery performance is absolutely great.

Anything else I can do to get even better performance?

Top Bottom